After four years of Jeff Fisher, Rams' regression means it's time for change/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
After four years of Jeff Fisher, Rams' regression means it's time for change
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ime-rams-regression-means-its-time-for-change

CINCINNATI -- As St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher not-so-subtly made it clear to the world that his team is not lacking for effort after its latest embarrassing loss Sunday, he offered perhaps the most revealing response in his more than 3½ years as the team's head coach.

"It's not an effort issue right now," Fisher said. "It's execution. It's 70 percent offense and 30 percent defense."

Fisher excused his special teams from the mix, but no matter how he chooses to slice up the pie, the truth is that the word "execution" is nothing but coachspeak for "not good enough." And though we won't get into assigning percentages, the vast majority of the blame for that falls at the feet of Fisher.

For it's Fisher who picked the players who don't execute on a weekly basis. It's Fisher who hired the staff that coaches the players who don't execute. It's Fisher who puts together the game plans that have yielded a 24-34-1 record since he took over. It's Fisher who has overseen a team that has posted a record that has gotten progressively worse each season of his tenure and might bottom out this year unless there are wins left on the schedule that aren't apparent to the naked eye.

To his credit, Fisher elevated the Rams from NFL laughingstock to something closer to the middle. But as his two-decade career as a head coach would indicate, that's where the improvement train stops. Sunday's 31-7 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals offered more evidence that the wheels have stopped moving forward, and as they begin to roll backward downhill, it brings us back to the current reality of the Rams under Fisher: At the end of this season, it's time for a change.

Not just minor tweaks to the offensive staff or a couple of personnel changes on the depth chart, but the type of wholesale staff and front-office changes that can give the Rams a chance to take the next step.

Asked if he feels like he's doing a good enough job coaching the team, Fisher didn't deny that he isn't.

"I've lost four in a row, so no," Fisher said. "That's not acceptable, but we're going to keep working at it."

But the Rams under Fisher have been "working at it" for nearly four full seasons without much in the way of results. While the Rams continue to languish in NFL and quarterback purgatory, other teams have realized sudden and profound change. The Rams, meanwhile, seem to be regressing.

"I wouldn't say that it's been regression," cornerback Lamarcus Joyner said. "Things are just not going our way. I mean, as an organization, we can't worry about what people say. It's about us. We have a lot to fix and we're going to do that."

Therein lies the problem. Sure, every team in the league has things to work on, but in the fourth year of any regime, should that team still have "a lot to fix"? Each week this season, Fisher has been asked about his offense, which rates as one of the worst in the league and is playing like the worst in the NFL right now. He continuously makes reference to fixing it, but nothing has changed.

In the first seven games, the Rams averaged 19.3 points per game, which was not good enough and below the league average, but enough to help them to a 4-3 start. Over the past four weeks, the Rams have scored a total of 51 points, an average of 12.8 per game. They've lost all four.

The weight of that offensive ineptitude has caught up to a defense that seemed playoff-caliber early in the year but hasn't fared so well over the past month. After allowing just eight touchdowns in the first seven games, the Rams' defense has yielded 11 in the past four weeks.

Without the results, wouldn't you think it's hard to keep buying in to what Fisher is selling?

"No, it's not hard at all," defensive tackle Michael Brockers said. "When you have got a coach like Jeff Fisher who takes great care of you and does a great job with the players and loves his team, you never stop fighting. It's frustrating to see you work every day, you work hard every week to come out and try to get a victory and it doesn't happen, so yeah it's frustrating. Yeah, right now it's a bad time to be a Ram, but we go back to work, we work hard, nobody is slacking, nobody is giving up, everybody is fighting."

Before the season, it seemed unlikely that the Rams would make a coaching change after the season unless it went so far off the rails that even owner Stan Kroenke would have to turn his focus from moving his team to Los Angeles to what it hasn't done on the field. With five games left and little sign of a turnaround, this season is trending toward that place.

Maybe Kroenke wanted Fisher to oversee a move out west since Fisher went through the NFL's Houston-to-Tennessee relocation. But they have televisions in Los Angeles, too, and it's hard to imagine that more of the same on the field will appeal to Rams fans there any more than it would in St. Louis or anywhere in between.

"We do what we do," linebacker Akeem Ayers said. "We come out here and play every game, no matter what. It doesn't matter the situation. It doesn't matter who we play, where we play -- we just play the type of football we play."

Like his head coach, Ayers is right: This isn't an effort problem. It's a Fisher problem.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
"We come out here and play every game, no matter what. It doesn't matter the situation. It doesn't matter who we play, where we play -- we just play the type of football we play."
Does this imply to anyone else that game plans stay relatively static rather than changing game-by-game to exploit an opponent's specific weaknesses?

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Does this imply to anyone else that game plans stay relatively static rather than changing game-by-game to exploit an opponent's specific weaknesses?
No

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jim Thomas: Rams’ Fisher ‘Certainly Feeling Some Pressure’

Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch joined The Ryan Kelley Morning After on Monday to discuss Rams topics following the team’s 31-7 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals.

Listen to JT Talk Rams

First time you ever had a coach tell you to kiss his ass?

"I've had coaches tell me a few things...but that's the first. I guess he was talking about me. It was very unusual for Fisher. He's usually pretty even keel at the press conferences. Sometimes he'll be sarcastic...sometimes he can be very engaging. But he snapped there for a minute. We still don't know that (Rams owner Stan Kroenke) would make a change. But Jeff Fisher is certainly feeling some of the pressure right now."

"It didn't seem like the most intense effort by the Rams...but in a way...a coach rebuking that is predictable. But kind of the way he did it is pretty surprising."

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Charles Robinson On How He was Duped by Fisher/Rams

Charles Robinson joined Kevin Wheeler to talk about the frustrations and issues with this Rams team, Jeff Fisher, the NFL all is search of QBs, and the rest of Week 12.

Listen to Robinson Talk Rams

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Jim Thomas: Rams’ Fisher ‘Certainly Feeling Some Pressure’

Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch joined The Ryan Kelley Morning After on Monday to discuss Rams topics following the team’s 31-7 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals.

Listen to JT Talk Rams

First time you ever had a coach tell you to kiss his ass?

"I've had coaches tell me a few things...but that's the first. I guess he was talking about me. It was very unusual for Fisher. He's usually pretty even keel at the press conferences. Sometimes he'll be sarcastic...sometimes he can be very engaging. But he snapped there for a minute. We still don't know that (Rams owner Stan Kroenke) would make a change. But Jeff Fisher is certainly feeling some of the pressure right now."

"It didn't seem like the most intense effort by the Rams...but in a way...a coach rebuking that is predictable. But kind of the way he did it is pretty surprising."

I disagree with JT, and yeah I get it he likes to assassinate Fisher's charachter any opportunity he gets because of the trade thing.......but IMO a lot of coaches would have told a reporter to eff-off after they tossed out a semi-insulting question like that.

He trolled him and got told off, move on nothing else to see here!

FRO

Legend
I'm a fan of Fisher. He took over a horrible team with no direction and put us on the right path. That being said he was given 4 years to get it turned around. He was given more premium draft picks than most teams get in a 4 year span. He hasn't got it done. Time to pull the plug on he and Snead.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I disagree with JT, and yeah I get it he likes to assassinate Fisher's charachter any opportunity he gets because of the trade thing.......but IMO a lot of coaches would have told a reporter to eff-off after they tossed out a semi-insulting question like that.

Sure might help if Fisher had one advocate in the media... doesn't appear he has a one.

…..

Legend
Pretty direct reporting....usually when this happens, things are getting tuff around here.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We should be used to it. It happens every 3-4 years.
Well, you try to give the benefit of the doubt with a new coach... and I think Jeff Fisher was very well received by the media upon his arrival.

But, four years later... things have changed.

Like you said, it happens... he's on a media island now.

FRO

Legend
Well, you try to give the benefit of the doubt with a new coach... and I think Jeff Fisher was very well received by the media upon his arrival.

But, four years later... things have changed.

Like you said, it happens... he's on a media island now.
The media has never been and will never be loyal to anyone but themselves.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I got nothing except Fish hasn't done it in 4 years....Excuses and context don't matter in year four. It doesn't matter about the Oline being what it is, because the situation it is in, is a result of other decisions...Decisions that Fisher/Snead made, are not good enough to create a playoff team in year four with all of the prime draft capital we have had...*smh...Something should change, but I have a feeling it won't

FRO

Legend
Yeah the power run scheme works. You have to be able to pass the ball too and block upfront. I would like a balanced approach going forward. I'm really interested in Hue Jackson and Gase. Both seemed to out scheme our own Williams, which is hard to do.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

That's not an insulting question, it's a legitimate one after your team has been embarrassed in 4 straight games. How far does this team have to go before we give up on this silly "the reporters are mean" narrative?
The reporters are doing their job, the coach is not.

iced

One of the league's worst offenses and averaging 12 points a game over the last 4, yet the problem lies within the reporter's question?

mm kay

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMO I don't see the Rams winning another game and at 4-12 ESK needs to make the change. If he wants to promote Les Snead and give him a VP title encompassed with GM and allow Les to hire the next Head Coach then fine, but the time is now!

• Hue Jackson
  • Adam Gase
  • Ben McAdoo
Once again the short list is accredited to @jrry32