Aaron Donald down to 10% body fat

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Wolfecola

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
Its simply reserve energy stores that take quite a long time to be mobilized.

Unless he's on a ketogenic diet right? I read somewhere the body can utilize up to 30 calories per pound of body fat, per day. I myself have been zero carb for over a year-- not to lose weight (currently around 15% BF) but because I traced my digestive issues back to simple carbohydrates and dairy.

Athos

Legend
Unless he's on a ketogenic diet right? I read somewhere the body can utilize up to 30 calories per pound of body fat, per day. I myself have been zero carb for over a year-- not to lose weight (currently around 15% BF) but because I traced my digestive issues back to simple carbohydrates and dairy.

I find it hard to believe you're zero carb. A life without at least fruit and many veggies? Yikes.

That said, no carb for me would be impossible. Or for anyone really active in life. I'd be sluggish and feel terrible.

Plus the high fat and protein content with that kind of diet. That just swings me to the issues of heart disease and artery blockage and kidney damage filtering all that protein.

Wolfecola

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
I find it hard to believe you're zero carb. A life without at least fruit and many veggies? Yikes.

That said, no carb for me would be impossible. Or for anyone really active in life. I'd be sluggish and feel terrible.

Plus the high fat and protein content with that kind of diet. That just swings me to the issues of heart disease and artery blockage and kidney damage filtering all that protein.

I am. At home, I usually eat ground beef heart, liver, chicken, etc. No pork as it doesn't really settle with me, nor do I have the taste. I intermittent fast, too, 24/1 during the week, so I only eat one meal per day. Get all of my calories. I work out three days a week and at 28, I'm in the best shape of my life.

Heart disease, diabetes, etc come along with a high carb diet and sedentary lifestyle-- fats and protein are irrelevant. Read up on the subject, it's interesting.

https://authoritynutrition.com/11-biggest-lies-of-mainstream-nutrition/
http://highsteaks.com/carnivore-vs-omnivore-vs-herbivore-chart/
http://davidgillespie.org/4-good-reasons-not-to-add-fibre-to-your-diet/
http://eatmeatdrinkwater.com/what-can-i-eat/
https://www.reddit.com/r/zerocarb/wiki/faq

But it's your life, believe whatcha want, different strokes, etc etc

Athos

Legend
Yea. Extreme diets aren't my thing. Too restrictive and I'm too active with a high metabolism. Went to a five day split for hypertrophic gains. Three leg days.

I gotta pack away 3000-3200 to gain any meaningful weight and I'm 27. That'd be just way too much meat and fat for my tastes. And I don't want shit loads of saturated fats.

But whatever works. Diets aren't one size fit all. Especially zero carb diets. Or extreme high carb ones.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Rethink that.........you need carbs..........just like some fat and everything else. Balance it out.......

See a doc and a dietitian. Learn about it. Maybe you have and I am speaking out of turn.

Carbs aren't bad, that is a media /diet creation. And actually carbs early in the day are GREAT fuel especially if you are exercising.

Americans are fat because of what they eat and when they eat it........not everything is horrible, but eating badly is a way of life here.

If @Selassie I can trim down anyone can do it. That fucking guy is living the life but managed to get down a couple of sizes.

Wolfecola

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
Rethink that.........you need carbs..........

No, you do not. It's a common misconception. The Inuit people, for example, had zero cases of diseases such as diabetes and heart disease until their diet became "westernized", aka mainly carbohydrates. Fat is one of the most satiable substances you can consume, while simple carbohydrates keep your blood sugar and insulin levels high, which make you feel hungry more often. Insulin = fat storage (as well as muscle growth) hormone.

See a doc and a dietitian. Learn about it. Maybe you have and I am speaking out of turn.

As I've said, I've been doing this for over a year (and intermittent fasting for about five months now). Some people have been doing it their entire life. I suggest you read and learn about it via some of the links I posted, especially about the transformation the body undergoes during ketosis.

Carbs aren't bad, that is a media /diet creation. And actually carbs early in the day are GREAT fuel especially if you are exercising.

I never said all carbs are bad. I said that, for me (and many others), a diet low in carbs is more suitable. Also, training fasted is fine, too.

I also have no gallbladder, so eating a high fat/mid protein/low-zero carb diet helps keep me regular, actually. I use the bathroom around the exact same time, everyday.

Americans are fat because of what they eat and when they eat it..

It's calories in/calories out. Nothing more. Doesn't matter what you eat or when you eat it. People who are fat consume more calories than they burn. You can eat a diet consisting of only twinkies at midnight and lose weight: http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html "But Wolfe, he consumed a multivitamin and a protein shake" Yeah, to reach his macros.

Last edited:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Rethink that.........you need carbs..........just like some fat and everything else. Balance it out.......

Americans are fat because of what they eat and when they eat it........not everything is horrible, but eating badly is a way of life here.

If @Selassie I can trim down anyone can do it. That freaking guy is living the life but managed to get down a couple of sizes.

6' 2"

fancents86

Starter
Humans can survive every single terrain on this planet. We can survive in climates where only animal's are our only food source and in areas where a more vegetarian diet is more convinient. It really depends on what your genetics are.

Wolfecola

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
Yea. Extreme diets aren't my thing. Too restrictive and I'm too active with a high metabolism. Went to a five day split for hypertrophic gains. Three leg days.

I gotta pack away 3000-3200 to gain any meaningful weight and I'm 27. That'd be just way too much meat and fat for my tastes. And I don't want crap loads of saturated fats.

But whatever works. Diets aren't one size fit all. Especially zero carb diets. Or extreme high carb ones.

I'm a shade under 6'5, and my TDEE is anywhere from 3200 to 3800 calories on any given day. No problems with energy or gaining strength or mass. Caloric surplus to gain mass, caloric deficit to cut weight. Simple.

Saturated fats aren't bad for you. People think animal fat is horrible and it's another misconception.

All in all, my reply was to your point that AD's fat stores would "take a while" to utilize, but that's not the case when utilizing a ketogenic diet, as a lot of bodybuilders and athletes do during their cutting phases. It's hardly extreme. Zero carb is just taking it a step further. It's definitely a deviation from the standard, high-carb American diet, which isn't a bad thing.

Athos

Legend
Of course saturated fats aren't bad, in moderation. Which is very small.

All fats aren't created equal. The fats that you want are the unsaturated variety which your Innuit example consumes in truck loads because the nature of the meat they eat, which is also high in selenium and necessary vitamins. And unless you're eating seal and whale, I find it hard you'd be able to get all the necessary vitamins you need. The effects may not be immediate but doesn't mean it's not happening.

http://www.theiflife.com/the-inuit-paradox-high-fat-lower-heart-disease-and-cancer/

its not just the sugar that fucked over some Innuit people, but consumption of highly saturated meat fats. Not to mention their access to fresh game not fed on grain diets. Almost impossible for normal people to afford that let alone find it.

The Innuit are almost evolutionaryly unique I'd say in their ability to handle levels of fat.

-as for the hypertrophic argument, my point was I'd have no interest eating that much meat/fat to get to that daily caloric amount. Not to mention the sheer cost it has and the impossibility of sustaining such a diet long term given how many people populate this earth.

As for the fat population. Welcome to hydrogenated fats where we fuck with carbon chains to make things more appealing visually and as binding agents.

I don't eat butter or margarine at all anymore really. Only bread I eat these days comes from my daily grain bagel for breakfast. And the rare burger. Don't even really miss it.

Rice, quinoa, whole grain pasta.

Only sugar comes from real fruit, and processed sugar is where I'd say a majority of diabetic and "fat" issues come into play song with non-activity.

Debacled

Starter

Bodyfat is stored energy that needs to be mobilized prior to being used. A ketogenic diet keeps the body in a state of ketosis, where essentially instead of blood sugar (glucose) floating around in the body you have ketones instead.

To be honest not a huge fan of low carb diets such as a ketogenic diet and I would never recommend it to a world class athlete that is likely already eating enough food for 4 or 5 normal sized people. Its a diet that needs a ton of micromanagement and just doesn't fit for a guy like Donald who isn't trying to cut weight.

The body prefers carbs to fats for a reason, even though it can use both.

Side note here, there are still health issues and risks associated with saturated fats. Just because the government is finally picking up on the fact that cholesterol isn't the end all of bad blood markers doesn't make it any healthier. Any substance in abundance will do damage to the body and cause health issues.

When looking for information stay away from pro x or pro y websites, especially ones with a .com attached to the end. If they are pro something they will cherry pick the information they provide (even scientific studies that they link and cite) and ignore information that goes against what they are preaching.

Debacled

Starter
I'm a shade under 6'5, and my TDEE is anywhere from 3200 to 3800 calories on any given day. No problems with energy or gaining strength or mass. Caloric surplus to gain mass, caloric deficit to cut weight. Simple.

Saturated fats aren't bad for you. People think animal fat is horrible and it's another misconception.

All in all, my reply was to your point that AD's fat stores would "take a while" to utilize, but that's not the case when utilizing a ketogenic diet, as a lot of bodybuilders and athletes do during their cutting phases. It's hardly extreme. Zero carb is just taking it a step further. It's definitely a deviation from the standard, high-carb American diet, which isn't a bad thing.

You highlighted one of the main issues here, ketogenic diets are utilized by bodybuilders during their cutting phases for a reason (if an athlete is utilizing any kind of "cutting phase" in a training program they need to be talking to different strength coaches). They are not optimal for peak performance and are best utilized for weight loss (or treatment of childhood seizures if you wanna get really deep into the literature with it). They don't use them to add muscle, strength, power, or maintain a higher level of energy.

Saturated fats are still an issue in standard diets, even if they aren't the epitome of pure evil that the government painted them as since the 70s. Just like anything else when its not kept in moderation it causes issues.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
All of that working out, eating, and shitting adds up to a boring daily life to excel on the field. It really takes discipline to live like that.

Wolfecola

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
Its a diet that needs a ton of micromanagement and just doesn't fit for a guy like Donald who isn't trying to cut weight.

It really doesn't. Low carb. If it's bread or contains sugar, it's not low carb. That's pretty simple.

The body prefers carbs to fats for a reason, even though it can use both.

The body doesn't prefer one or the other. One could argue the opposite; before agriculture, humans ate primarily animals. Meals were few and far in between. Google the Warrior Diet. People throughout history utilized keto with intermittent fasting.

(for the lazies: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrior_diet)

You highlighted one of the main issues here, ketogenic diets are utilized by bodybuilders during their cutting phases for a reason (if an athlete is utilizing any kind of "cutting phase" in a training program they need to be talking to different strength coaches). They are not optimal for peak performance and are best utilized for weight loss (or treatment of childhood seizures if you wanna get really deep into the literature with it). They don't use them to add muscle, strength, power, or maintain a higher level of energy.

You can gain mass on a ketogenic diet. Lean gains, look it up. Cutting is a caloric deficit. Adding mass is a caloric surplus. Again, simple. It's just easier for most to cut on a ketogenic diet because fat is one of the most satiable substances you can consume, and protein protects you from muscle loss. Your blood sugar and insulin levels stay relatively the same throughout the day, so you stay fuller, longer.

Foul smelling too as is the case with heavy meat diets.

There's no basis for fact, whatsoever, in that statement.

The research is out there. You can choose to expand your knowledge or deny what evidence has been brought forth. I find it all very, very interesting, and not one method or set of groceries fits all. I like experimenting, and after being vegitarian/eating only fish/keto/zero carb, zero carb is my favorite so far; I choose steak over quinoa. :rolllaugh:

Last edited:

Debacled

Starter
It really doesn't. Low carb. If it's bread or contains sugar, it's not low carb. That's pretty simple.

The body doesn't prefer one or the other. One could argue the opposite; before agriculture, humans ate primarily animals. Meals were few and far in between. Google the Warrior Diet. People throughout history utilized keto with intermittent fasting.

(for the lazies: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrior_diet)

You can gain mass on a ketogenic diet. Lean gains, look it up. Cutting is a caloric deficit. Adding mass is a caloric surplus. Again, simple. It's just easier for most to cut on a ketogenic diet because fat is one of the most satiable substances you can consume, and protein protects you from muscle loss. Your blood sugar and insulin levels stay relatively the same throughout the day, so you stay fuller, longer.

There's no basis for fact, whatsoever, in that statement.

The research is out there. You can choose to expand your knowledge or deny what evidence has been brought forth. I find it all very, very interesting, and not one method or set of groceries fits all. I like experimenting, and after being vegitarian/eating only fish/keto/zero carb, zero carb is my favorite so far; I choose steak over quinoa. :rolllaugh:

Prior to agriculture humans often starved for long periods of time. They also tended to have fairly short lifespans. This is why I hate discussing "caveman diets" and the likes. Just because thats what people HAD to eat in the past doesn't mean it was, or is, or will be ideal for that matter. They didn't utilize these diets, they survived on them.

The body does prefer carbs simply because it is always geared to follow the path of least resistance. Converting a carbohydrate to energy is simply the absolute quickest way for the body to get energy. Muscle growth is handled much in the same way as the body will not make changes (IE adding muscle mass which means it must eat MORE to maintain homeostasis) unless it is forced to do so (weight training).

Simply because something can be done doesn't mean its ideal or how it should be done. Heck I can get patients to lose weight/gain muscle mass on a fast food only diet, but it doesn't mean thats what should be done (extreme example I know). For an elite level athlete whose entire focus is on performance a ketogenic diet just really doesn't fit well.

I don't mean ketogenic diets are the prime evil or anything of that kind, but I wouldn't ever recommend it to an athlete to improve performance unless there were some underlying issues such as bowel problems which you mentioned yourself.