Aaron Donald down to 10% body fat

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

let's hope he doesn't go all out david boston on us.

fearsomefour

Legend
How was the body fat test done?
The old skin fold measure can have a variance of about 3%.
This is someone saying the heard this from Donald at camp. Is Donald rounding numbers? In reality for 10% could be a lot closer to 15%.
Look at sprinters vs distance runners.....now look at power lifters vs bodybuilder.
It is easy to see to be fast you need strength. To be strong you need (usually) body weight.
The only concern with cutting fat as a goal is losing strength. Doing a bodybuilder style workout....for asthetics mostly....as opposed to working to develop strength. Much better to develop strength and carry some "extra" fat than be shredded and lose strength.
The good news is Donald is already cat quick with a good understNding of using leverage and strength. Even if he got too lean he could fix that relatively quickly. Being "shredded" is often in direct opposition to being max strong.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I have absolutely no clue as to what is a proper Body Fat %!!?!:confused:
But I can still see my Feet!!:D

fancents86

Starter
Donald is not at 10%. Athletes exaggerate their body fat percentages all the time. I forgot who it was, but some receiver was saying his body fat percentage was around 2%. The human body can't live at 2% year around, let alone function properly at that level. Pro bodybuidlers are the only ones who get close to that level for competition but their body's are so dehydrated and tired by that time life is miserable and extremely unhealthy.

Anyway, if Donald shows up with abs and lost 40lbs, then he'd be at 10%.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Donald is not at 10%. Athletes exaggerate their body fat percentages all the time. I forgot who it was, but some receiver was saying his body fat percentage was around 2%. The human body can't live at 2% year around, let alone function properly at that level. Pro bodybuidlers are the only ones who get close to that level for competition but their body's are so dehydrated and tired by that time life is miserable and extremely unhealthy.

Anyway, if Donald shows up with abs and lost 40lbs, then he'd be at 10%.

Yup and bodybuilders over-hydrate to make themselves actually shed water prior to a competition which is also unhealthy.

Anything under 3-4% is potentially harmful and even some bodybuilders can't get that low for a competition. My guess is that the human body has some mechanism for not letting itself get that low but who knows.

Wolfecola

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
Why is it BS? When Bruce Smith was playing it was reported that he was at 6% body fat. Didn't seem to hinder his performance.

Because in order for Donald to be at 10% body fat at 285lbs, he would have to have nearly 260lbs of lean body mass. There's no way. Not sure why you brought up any other player, since it's irrelevant to Aaron Donald's current weight.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Look at sprinters vs distance runners.....now look at power lifters vs bodybuilder.
It is easy to see to be fast you need strength. To be strong you need (usually) body weight.
The only concern with cutting fat as a goal is losing strength. Doing a bodybuilder style workout....for asthetics mostly....as opposed to working to develop strength. Much better to develop strength and carry some "extra" fat than be shredded and lose strength.
Have to disagree with the this. Bodybuilding vs Powerlifters are both very big guys. They look different because of their diet. Both are freaking strong but Powrtlifters are higher in BF% because all they care about is trying to get stronger to lift more. Runners long distance vs sprints is very different because a marathon runner is breaking down his body both muscle and fat in a race. That's why they are so lean. My point is you can be very strong and very ripped. AD is just a freak of nature.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I'm not worried, just calling out the BS
My post was really for the guys that were saying this was a bad thing. That other guys got hurt because they had a lower BF%. I agree with you though, I don'tthink he is 10% because he would look a lot more ripped. I saw his recent interview @ TC and his arms don't look like 10% . Now if R Quinn said it I would believe it.

fearsomefour

Legend
Have to disagree with the this. Bodybuilding vs Powerlifters are both very big guys. They look different because of their diet. Both are freaking strong but Powrtlifters are higher in BF% because all they care about is trying to get stronger to lift more. Runners long distance vs sprints is very different because a marathon runner is breaking down his body both muscle and fat in a race. That's why they are so lean. My point is you can be very strong and very ripped. AD is just a freak of nature.
We agree basically.
Bodybuilders can be strong but that is not their main goal. They train and eat for gains but also asthetics....cutting and getting dehydrated for comps ect....there are always exceptions.
Generally speaking true "strong" guys are not ripped (six pack abs and all that nonsense).
I would hope Donald is getting good advice. I have seen plenty of times athletes get sucked into how things look as opposed to functionality and strength.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
We agree basically.
Bodybuilders can be strong but that is not their main goal. They train and eat for gains but also asthetics....cutting and getting dehydrated for comps ect....there are always exceptions.
Generally speaking true "strong" guys are not ripped (six pack abs and all that nonsense).
I would hope Donald is getting good advice. I have seen plenty of times athletes get sucked into how things look as opposed to functionality and strength.
I don't think he would get sucked up into something like that. It's only my opinion because I don't personally know Donald but I think he's all about football. We do disagree about bodybuilders because their goal is to get stronger. Getting stronger is the only way to get your muscles bigger and that's what bodybuilders are all about. Getting super cut is just for the shows.

Athos

Legend
No one said it was a bad thing. I said I hope he's careful about dipping below 10%.

Fat is an unquestionablely essential to human physiology and outside of aesthetics, there's absolutely no scientifically proven data out there to support any real benefit for going under 10%.

Heck, is imagine over the course of a football season or really any high intensity sport played over a significant period, especially football, you want a relatively healthy fat level so you aren't just breaking down muscle mass to fuel your body's repair.

Heck, I just saw where Randall Cobb was adding weight because he wanted to remain strong because over the course of a season he loses weight.

Regardless, I'm betting the journalist doesn't know what the duck he's talking about anyway. I doubt Donald is at 10% and dropping.

Last edited:

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
No one said it was a bad thing. I said I hope he's careful about dipping below 10%.

Fat is an unquestionablely essential to human physiology and outside of aesthetics, there's absolutely no scientifically proven data out there to support any real benefit for going under 10%.

Heck, is imagine over the course of a football season or really any high intensity sport played over a significant period, especially football, you want a relatively healthy fat level so you aren't just breaking down muscle mass to fuel your body's repair.

Heck, I just saw where Randall Cobb was adding weight because he wanted to remain strong because over the course of a season he loses weight.

Regardless, I'm betting the journalist doesn't know what the duck he's talking about anyway. I doubt Donald is at 10% and dropping.

Yes but what is a healthy BF%? Is it 20%, 30% or 6%? Nobody knows? There is no data saying that it's healthy to be below 10% but there's no data saying it's unhealthy. My point is this whole subject on his BF% is overblown. If he's doing it right and eating a healthy diet I see no problem with what his BF% is.

fearsomefour

Legend
Yes but what is a healthy BF%? Is it 20%, 30% or 6%? Nobody knows? There is no data saying that it's healthy to be below 10% but there's no data saying it's unhealthy. My point is this whole subject on his BF% is overblown. If he's doing it right and eating a healthy diet I see no problem with what his BF% is.
And how was it measured.
A real test can be accurate but I'm sure was not done....because a specific % is not relevant to what he is doing. The standard caliper test has a margin of error that is wide.
I agree with you about Donald's focus and I am not worried about him either.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
And how was it measured.
A real test can be accurate but I'm sure was not done....because a specific % is not relevant to what he is doing. The standard caliper test has a margin of error that is wide.
I agree with you about Donald's focus and I am not worried about him either.
Your right I didn't even think about what type of test was used to measure his BF%. Standard caliper test is not very accurate. What is the test called when they submerge a person in water to measure they're BF%? I bet that would be accurate.

fancents86

Starter
Yup and bodybuilders over-hydrate to make themselves actually shed water prior to a competition which is also unhealthy.

Anything under 3-4% is potentially harmful and even some bodybuilders can't get that low for a competition. My guess is that the human body has some mechanism for not letting itself get that low but who knows.

That mechanism is called "death". Lol

fancents86

Starter
There's actually a ton of scientific evidence proving that going below a certain body fat percentage that is unhealthy. While it's not 10%, anyone under 6% is where you start to see negative health risks in men. Everything from hormonal, cardiovascular, and neurological.