A " Just because I'm curious" Poll!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who's your "Favorite" Former Rams Head Coach!?

• Adam Walsh - 1945-46 - Won the Rams their 1st National Title!

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Joe Stydahar - 1950-52 - Won the Rams their 2nd National Title

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Sid Gillman - 1955-59 - Highly respected by the Team and his Fellow Coaches

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • George Allen - 1966-70 - Turned Team around and gave us the Fearsome-Foursome

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • Chuck Knox - 1973-77 - 54-15-1 record/ 8 Playoff games

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • Ray Malavasi - 1978-82 - 6 Playoff game including SB XIV

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • John Robinson - 1983-91 - 75-6-o / 10 Playoff games

Votes: 21 19.4%
  • Dick Vermeil - 1997-99 - Created GSOT and Won SB!

Votes: 44 40.7%
  • Mike Martz - 2000-05 - OC in SB Win / HC in SB Loss

Votes: 21 19.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 3.7%

• Total voters

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Sorry a tad late to the party and I realize my vote is obvious, however, Knox & Allen tainted because of when they came back. Allen never got a shot because there was a player revolt in 1978 and Knox could not right the ship from 92-94.

BTW some points that bother me about bringing back Allen & Knox, the coach that Rosenbloom wanted to hire in 1978 was Bill Walsh, but felt the Rams needed a veteran Head Coach to get the Rams into the Super Bowl and in 92 John Shaw showcasing that even a broken clock is right twice a day wanted Georgia to hire 49er Offensive Coordinator Mike Holmgren, but Frontiere went with Chuck Knox because she said Carroll always regretted letting him go, but I disagree because Rosenbloom was pissed at Knox for coveting the Lion job in 1977 and thus led to the parting of the ways in 1978 after another disappointing showing in post season.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sorry a tad late to the party and I realize my vote is obvious, however, Knox & Allen tainted because of when they came back. Allen never got a shot because there was a player revolt in 1978 and Knox could not right the ship from 92-94.

BTW some points that bother me about bringing back Allen & Knox, the coach that Rosenbloom wanted to hire in 1978 was Bill Walsh, but felt the Rams needed a veteran Head Coach to get the Rams into the playoffs and in 92 John Shaw showcasing that even a broken clock is right twice a day wanted Georgia to hire 49er Offensive Coordinator Mike Holmgren, but Frontiere went with Chuck Knox because she said Carroll always regretted letting him go, but I disagree because Rosenbloom was ticked at Knox for coveting the Lion job in 1977 and thus led to the parting of the ways in 1978 after another disappointing showing in post season.
I'm not clear on this Coach! Who is your Pick!?

bnw

Pro Bowler
Although Martz was extremely important for GSOT, Vermeil showed in Kansas City that he wasn't a coaching sock puppet for Martz.

Vermeil had Trent Green in KC and that relationship started in St. Louis because of Martz lobbying to get Green. Excellent QBs make HCs look good. Martz had a profound effect upon DV in KC as that team was not the typical DV team before '99. The Chiefs air game was quite Ramslike. I wouldn't call DV a sock puppet either but he was a changed HC after working with Martz.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I wouldn't call DV a sock puppet either but he was a changed HC after working with Martz.

Agreed and Vermeil brought over Al Saunders as well to ensure that style of offense and the Chiefs were something offensively, however, Vermeil hired Greg Robinson as the defensive coordinator and he was an epic fail and tried to rally bringing back Gunther Cunningham to Kansas City, but it was too late.

bnw

Pro Bowler
Agreed and Vermeil brought over Al Saunders as well to ensure that style of offense and the Chiefs were something offensively, however, Vermeil hired Greg Robinson as the defensive coordinator and he was an epic fail and tried to rally bringing back Gunther Cunningham to Kansas City, but it was too late.
Well hiring a terrible DC is very Martzian.;)

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well hiring a terrible DC is very Martzian.;)

Never was a fan of Robinson, he oversaw a Denver defense that won two Super Bowls, but the defense was not the reason and parlayed that into the job with the Chiefs that derailed Vermeil in post season despite a great offense with two hall of fame offensive linemen in Willie Roaf and Will Shields.

Robinson then had to head back to college where for some odd reason, he was able to land a Head Coaching gig at Syracuse where he went 10-37 making him the worst Head Coach in their history. Everyone compared Robinson to Pete Carroll because he worked under Carroll and even looked somewhat like him which led AD Daryl Gross to hire Robinson because of Carroll's recommendation and I knew at the time that was a huge mistake...Robinson now the DC at San Jose State which quite frankly is where he belongs.

images
images

images
images

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I went Martz.
He was an innovator who ushered in the most exciting time in Rams football in decades.
My nickname for him was The Violently Insane Mike Martz. Nearly everything that was a strength was also a weakness.
I love Vermeil too but he wasn't winning jack squat without Martz.

I absolutely hated Martz as a HC, and he went off the rails with his play calling too often.

But as far as innovation it simply cannot be denied that he is in the conversation for 3 most innovative. In fact today's NFL is what it is in large part because of what the Rams did from 99-01 and anytime a guy changes how the NFL game works he deserves his props. As I have said time and time again, his fingerprints are all over what today's offenses do.

Before Martz and the Rams did what they did a team would line up in a 4 wide set about 30 times a season maybe, it was pretty rare The Rams were doing it 15 times a game and using an empty backfield 5 wide set a few times too. 3 wide sets were the standard for Martz, not the NFL. Now it's essentially everyone's base formation.

He is why slot recievers are so coveted now, at least way more than before, because he used them to exploit the other teams 3rd DB or worse an outside LB or safety that was overmatched because of the speed difference.

Look at all the pre-snap motion the Rams used in 99-01, especially in 99 and 00. Nobody else was doing that. Maybe there was a WR going in motion, maybe two but rarely. Not 3 or 4 guys like Martz had them doing, then sometimes 1 or 2 of those 3 or 4 would move yet again. Now lots of pre-snap movement is common.

Again, I hated him as HC, but the guy could design plays as well as anyone ever has. I can't count how many times I watched the Rams come to the LOS and as Warner was calling the signals seeing the movement and the confusion of the defense and LB's and DB's pointing to Rams wideouts (not the TE LOL) trying to figure out who was on who. I remember guys dropping a WR while he was in motion then realizing nobody picked him up because so much was going on the defenders couldn't always communicate fast enough.

It was like he was playing 3 card monte with DC's.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Martz for me ... he was the HC when I first became a Rams fan

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I was just wondering, As the ROD membership, who is your Favorite former Rams Head Coach!? Not who do you think was the best. Although that may be the case. But who was your FAVORITE!?
I'll give you mine and why, If you give me yours and why! Here are some to choice from or add your own!

As a youngster it all started during the Chuck Knox era. ED, Gary, Dupree, tim lester lol, Delpino & Bell

fearsomefour

Legend
I absolutely hated Martz as a HC, and he went off the rails with his play calling too often.

But as far as innovation it simply cannot be denied that he is in the conversation for 3 most innovative. In fact today's NFL is what it is in large part because of what the Rams did from 99-01 and anytime a guy changes how the NFL game works he deserves his props. As I have said time and time again, his fingerprints are all over what today's offenses do.

Before Martz and the Rams did what they did a team would line up in a 4 wide set about 30 times a season maybe, it was pretty rare The Rams were doing it 15 times a game and using an empty backfield 5 wide set a few times too. 3 wide sets were the standard for Martz, not the NFL. Now it's essentially everyone's base formation.

He is why slot recievers are so coveted now, at least way more than before, because he used them to exploit the other teams 3rd DB or worse an outside LB or safety that was overmatched because of the speed difference.

Look at all the pre-snap motion the Rams used in 99-01, especially in 99 and 00. Nobody else was doing that. Maybe there was a WR going in motion, maybe two but rarely. Not 3 or 4 guys like Martz had them doing, then sometimes 1 or 2 of those 3 or 4 would move yet again. Now lots of pre-snap movement is common.

Again, I hated him as HC, but the guy could design plays as well as anyone ever has. I can't count how many times I watched the Rams come to the LOS and as Warner was calling the signals seeing the movement and the confusion of the defense and LB's and DB's pointing to Rams wideouts (not the TE LOL) trying to figure out who was on who. I remember guys dropping a WR while he was in motion then realizing nobody picked him up because so much was going on the defenders couldn't always communicate fast enough.

It was like he was playing 3 card monte with DC's.
I agree with everything you've said. It was a love/hate thing with Martz. It's why I called him the Violently Insane Mike Martz. But, win or lose his teams were fun to watch.
He made some bad personnel and draft picks....he chose some bizarre times to go for it on fourth....time management was always an issue....BUT.....remember the home game vs San Diego when the Rams something like 20 straight pass plays before a run was called....gotta love Martz!!
I agree with him changing the game. Air Corell was the big influence on him and it showed. I remember him saying most progressions go short to long, his often ran long to short. Another interview I remember him saying "When in doubt, attack."
Love me some Martz.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He made some bad personnel and draft picks....he chose some bizarre times to go for it on fourth....time management was always an issue....BUT.....remember the home game vs San Diego when the Rams something like 20 straight pass plays before a run was called....gotta love Martz!!

Bad draft picks is an understatement LOL. During that period the Rams were the worst.

That SD game was the high spot of the MaxQ era. It was an amazing display of what the Rams were at the time.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

@dieterbrock let's not forget the only reason he hired Lovie Smith was that the Cardinals denied permission for the Rams to interview Larry Marmie. Martz wanted Marmie as soon as he was hired as Head Coach and by the grace of god, they had to come up with somebody else and the organization and Martz went with Lovie Smith, who was a great hire, but after the Cardinals had denied permission for Marmie would have been his DC right from the outset...Keep in mind when Lovie was hired by the Bears Marmie was available at that time because the staff had been fired.

Again the Marmie hire was similar to Fisher's hiring of Brian Schottenheimer. Many knew Marmie would not be a good DC, but he had given Martz his shot as an OC at Arizona State where they both failed when Marmie was the Head Coach.