A " Just because I'm curious" Poll!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who's your "Favorite" Former Rams Head Coach!?

• Adam Walsh - 1945-46 - Won the Rams their 1st National Title!

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Joe Stydahar - 1950-52 - Won the Rams their 2nd National Title

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Sid Gillman - 1955-59 - Highly respected by the Team and his Fellow Coaches

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • George Allen - 1966-70 - Turned Team around and gave us the Fearsome-Foursome

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • Chuck Knox - 1973-77 - 54-15-1 record/ 8 Playoff games

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • Ray Malavasi - 1978-82 - 6 Playoff game including SB XIV

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • John Robinson - 1983-91 - 75-6-o / 10 Playoff games

Votes: 21 19.4%
  • Dick Vermeil - 1997-99 - Created GSOT and Won SB!

Votes: 44 40.7%
  • Mike Martz - 2000-05 - OC in SB Win / HC in SB Loss

Votes: 21 19.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 3.7%

• Total voters

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I was just wondering, As the ROD membership, who is your Favorite former Rams Head Coach!? Not who do you think was the best. Although that may be the case. But who was your FAVORITE!?
I'll give you mine and why, If you give me yours and why! Here are some to choice from or add your own!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Vermeil would be up there, but he ran off after winning a title...so
Knox, Malavasi, Allen...Robinson

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Yeah, Vermeil running off left a bad taste in my mouth. Martz was the catalyst for that team anyway. Vermeil gets WAY too much credit for that SB. Of the ones I have grown up with...

1a. Robinson
1b. Martz
2. Malavasi
3. Knox

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Vermeil would be up there, but he ran off after winning a title...so
Knox, Malavasi, Allen...Robinson
Personally, I think, in Vermeils defense! I have always thought he was run off because the "Powers-that-be" didn't want to take a chance on Losing Martz, and wanted to keep him! I understand that thinking. But they should have made Martz a Promise and keep Vermeil for one more Year! JMHO

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
Vermeil - I believe he was pushed out for Martz - IIRC there was a desire to promote Martz rather than see him get promoted to HC elsewhere. It was not a choice Vermeil made but rather it was made for him.

aw Dave, you beat me to it. - what Dave said ^^^^^

Rams43

Hall of Fame
One look at my avatar and there's your answer.

Only Ram HC to win a SB. Ever...

Made chicken salad out of a chickens**t roster in 3 seasons!

I rest my case.

Next question? Lol.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
Martz with Robinson a very close second for me.

Martz: The GSOT was the cherry on top and vindication for my lifelong fandom.
Robinson: My fandom might not have lasted without those O-line and rushing attacks of the 80s keeping me hooked.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
The only two on the list I was alive to see was Vermeil and Martz. Of the two, I would have to take Vermeil but Martz is a close second.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Great Choices and very good reasons gentlemen! But I'm not going to give my personal choice just yet!
I'm having too much fun reading yours! I fear the thread might die after I give mine!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The only two on the list I was alive to see was Vermeil and Martz. Of the two, I would have to take Vermeil but Martz is a close second.
There can be No Wrong Answer to this question! These where all great Coaches in their Day! I'm just curious to here EVERYONE's opinion!(y);):yess:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Voted Vermeil. Not only did he win a Super Bowl, but he didn't make all of the horrific draft choices (Steven Jackson aside) and baffling playcalling that helped usher in the GSoT's demise, like Martz did.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OK! I'll bite! Who is Max Corkle!? He was never a Rams HC! the name sounds familiar, Who was he!?
Lol
Max_Corkle.jpg

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Vermiel for me.

Everywhere that man went, success followed. Yeah, he needed a shove after 1998, but his track record had already been established (UCLA, PHI, etc.)

The man was a master motivator IMO.

Martz might have gotten an honerable mention but for his terrible drafts.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
DaveFan51,

I'm shocked.....shocked I tell you that you don't have Harland Svare on your poll somewhere.
Heh.....most Rams fans would rather forget to tell you the truth but I do remember he was the HC right before we hired our firebrand, George Allen.

Yep it was easy to forget 'ol Harland.....

~ArkyRamsFan~

tempests

Hall of Fame
OC_Ram said:
Vermeil - I believe he was pushed out for Martz - IIRC there was a desire to promote Martz rather than see him get promoted to HC elsewhere. It was not a choice Vermeil made but rather it was made for him.

That choice was all Vermeil. You forget how beloved that guy was. He had the heart of the players, the media, the fans. And he was close with Georgia. Everyone wanted him back.

The Rams had just signed Martz to an extension a few weeks earlier and dubbed him the head coach in waiting. He wasn't going anywhere.

DV made such a quick decision because back then free agency started two weeks after the Super Bowl, and he didn't want to start cutting players that had helped win a championship. He said exactly that.

"

tempests

Hall of Fame
But they should have made Martz a Promise and keep Vermeil for one more Year! JMHO

Dave. That's what they did.

Martz Will Succeed Vermeil – Eventually

rams_circle.gif

By Leonard Shapiro
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, January 18, 2000; Page D7

ST. LOUIS, Jan. 17 – The St. Louis Rams' first home playoff victory in the city's pro football history had an immediate impact on the future of offensive coordinator Mike Martz. The Rams announced today that Martz, who was expected to be pursued as a head coach by other NFL teams, would become the team's head coach whenever Dick Vermeil decides to step down.

Vermeil himself initiated the move, in which Martz will sign a two-year contract extension to remain as the team's offensive coordinator. Vermeil, 63, said he intends to quit coaching when his contract runs out in two years. Other sources in the organization said Vermeil could retire sooner if the Rams win the Super Bowl this year or next.

"We promised to offer Mike the head coaching job, if it's available," team president John Shaw said today. He added that the prospect of losing Martz, 48, the architect of the league's No. 1 offense, to another team seeking a head coach "was a serious factor in what's taken place here. No one in this organization wants to lose Mike Martz."

But Shaw also said: "As far as I'm concerned, Dick can coach as long as he wants."

Martz's extension will prevent owners such as Jerry Jones in Dallas and Robert Kraft in New England from speaking with Martz about coaching vacancies. Green Bay, New Orleans and the New York Jets also have openings.

"I'm excited about the opportunity," said Martz, the Redskins' quarterback coach in 1997-98 before taking the Rams job last season. "It's from Dick's intervention that this opportunity could work out for me. I'd just like to say this is where I want to be. I don't want to be the head coach anywhere else but St. Louis."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/nfl/longterm/1999/playoffs/articles/rams18.htm