A " Just because I'm curious" Poll!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who's your "Favorite" Former Rams Head Coach!?

• Adam Walsh - 1945-46 - Won the Rams their 1st National Title!

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Joe Stydahar - 1950-52 - Won the Rams their 2nd National Title

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Sid Gillman - 1955-59 - Highly respected by the Team and his Fellow Coaches

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • George Allen - 1966-70 - Turned Team around and gave us the Fearsome-Foursome

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • Chuck Knox - 1973-77 - 54-15-1 record/ 8 Playoff games

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • Ray Malavasi - 1978-82 - 6 Playoff game including SB XIV

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • John Robinson - 1983-91 - 75-6-o / 10 Playoff games

Votes: 21 19.4%
  • Dick Vermeil - 1997-99 - Created GSOT and Won SB!

Votes: 44 40.7%
  • Mike Martz - 2000-05 - OC in SB Win / HC in SB Loss

Votes: 21 19.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 3.7%

• Total voters

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dave. That's what they did.

Martz Will Succeed Vermeil – Eventually

rams_circle.gif

By Leonard Shapiro
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, January 18, 2000; Page D7

ST. LOUIS, Jan. 17 – The St. Louis Rams' first home playoff victory in the city's pro football history had an immediate impact on the future of offensive coordinator Mike Martz. The Rams announced today that Martz, who was expected to be pursued as a head coach by other NFL teams, would become the team's head coach whenever Dick Vermeil decides to step down.

Vermeil himself initiated the move, in which Martz will sign a two-year contract extension to remain as the team's offensive coordinator. Vermeil, 63, said he intends to quit coaching when his contract runs out in two years. Other sources in the organization said Vermeil could retire sooner if the Rams win the Super Bowl this year or next.

"We promised to offer Mike the head coaching job, if it's available," team president John Shaw said today. He added that the prospect of losing Martz, 48, the architect of the league's No. 1 offense, to another team seeking a head coach "was a serious factor in what's taken place here. No one in this organization wants to lose Mike Martz."

But Shaw also said: "As far as I'm concerned, Dick can coach as long as he wants."

Martz's extension will prevent owners such as Jerry Jones in Dallas and Robert Kraft in New England from speaking with Martz about coaching vacancies. Green Bay, New Orleans and the New York Jets also have openings.

"I'm excited about the opportunity," said Martz, the Redskins' quarterback coach in 1997-98 before taking the Rams job last season. "It's from Dick's intervention that this opportunity could work out for me. I'd just like to say this is where I want to be. I don't want to be the head coach anywhere else but St. Louis."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/nfl/longterm/1999/playoffs/articles/rams18.htm
Thanks for the post Tempest! I didn't remember this! I still tend to think someone forced the issue for some reason!

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
It was a too close for me to vote with conviction @DaveFan'51

These 2 coaches are always going to be at the top until McVay takes the "title"

++++++++++))))+++++
577.jpg
image-jpg.14610

SeanMcVay.jpg

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It was a too close for me to vote with conviction @DaveFan'51

These 2 coaches are always going to be at the top until McVay takes the "title"

++++++++++))))+++++
577.jpg
image-jpg.14610

SeanMcVay.jpg
I hear you! I hope McVay puts them all to shame! which, of course would really be a Great Story! I just want him to Beat "BeliCheat" every time they Play!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Ok! I have kept you waiting Long enough for my choice!
First let me say while I really admire Coach Vermeil and Coach Martz for turning the Team around and giving us the GSOT, they are not my personal choice! What they did was too short-lived. We have been Losing every since they left!
My Choice is George Allen ...
Coach Allen1.jpg

... He Built a Team that would Last forever, Not only giving us the Fearsome-Foursome, But a lot of other great players as well! Although he only went to the Playoffs twice, Who can forget that 1969 that started 9-0! WOW!
There was such a foundation built that over the next 12 year the Rams would Play in 24 Playoff games, under coaches Knox-Malavasi and Robinson!
I'll Take this^ over 12 losing years since 2004!
BUT as I said these Coaches I Listed in the Poll where ALL Great Coaches in the Time!

nighttrain

Legend
Ok! I have kept you waiting Long enough for my choice!
First let me say while I really admire Coach Vermeil and Coach Martz for turning the Team around and giving us the GSOT, they are not my personal choice! What they did was too short-lived. We have been Losing every since they left!
My Choice is George Allen ...
View attachment 20548
... He Built a Team that would Last forever, Not only giving us the Fearsome-Foursome, But a lot of other great players as well! Although he only went to the Playoffs twice, Who can forget that 1969 that started 9-0! WOW!
There was such a foundation built that over the next 12 year the Rams would Play in 24 Playoff games, under coaches Knox-Malavasi and Robinson!
I'll Take this^ over 12 losing years since 2004!
BUT as I said these Coaches I Listed in the Poll where ALL Great Coaches in the Time!

nailed it Dave!
train

fearsomefour

Legend
I went Martz.
He was an innovator who ushered in the most exciting time in Rams football in decades.
My nickname for him was The Violently Insane Mike Martz. Nearly everything that was a strength was also a weakness.
I love Vermeil too but he wasn't winning jack squat without Martz.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
DV 3rd year wins the super bowl. Why all the love for Martz ? The Rams had a chance to be a dynasty and he blew it .
Go back and look at the draft picks . If I remember right , they had 3 first round picks in one draft and whiffed .

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
DV 3rd year wins the super bowl. Why all the love for Martz ? The Rams had a chance to be a dynasty and he blew it .
Go back and look at the draft picks . If I remember right , they had 3 first round picks in one draft and whiffed .
I think Martz is loved by many because he was really the architect of the GSOT.

Vermiel was smart enough to leave him alone and he did a great job... there's no denying that.

But I agree about those drafts and it cost the Rams for many years after he left.

I also consider his career after he left the Rams... certainly did well and improved the offenses where he went but no team thought enough of him to be considered for a HC ever again.

Actions speak louder than words.

bnw

Pro Bowler
DV was floundering without Martz. He had almost lost the team because he thought he could work them like dogs in practice....then never had a clue why they were out of gas by the 3rd quarter. Almost lost the team. That isn't a great coach in my book. He was smart enough to listen and lighten up.....and most importantly turn over the offense to Martz. I'd also say that Charlie Armey had more to do with the make up of the '99 team with Pace, Holt and Faulk. DV leaving the way he did was a punk move that pisses me off still.

Martz had the offense playing lights out. He told DV that he could work with Warner......and he did. He also brought Faulk all in on the offense. Faulk doesn't become the weapon he became without Martz. I remember DV being pissed at both Bruce and Faulk over contract crap. Now Martz did suck at drafting (need and talent) and defense by hiring Marmie and not getting the necessary pieces on defense. While Martz got Aeneus Williams he also got the Kyle Turley Experience and BrendaGate. The game was moving fast to favor offense and Martz, not DV was able to capitalize on the change.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looks like Chuck Knox gets a free pass for his 2nd tenure...

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dave's favorite HC, Max Corkle....
xGXV6I7.png

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I lived through all of the HC's from George Allen until now, and my pick will always be Dick Vermeil. I liked the guy when he coached the Iggles back in the 70's, as well as GSOT. Allen, Knox, Robinson, Malavasi, all did a good job...but could never win the big one. The Ram's were always the bridesmaid, and not the bride, until 1999. Although Martz was extremely important for GSOT, Vermeil showed in Kansas City that he wasn't a coaching sock puppet for Martz.

Dick Vermeil, there is no substitute.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I went Martz.
He was an innovator who ushered in the most exciting time in Rams football in decades.
My nickname for him was The Violently Insane Mike Martz. Nearly everything that was a strength was also a weakness.
I love Vermeil too but he wasn't winning jack squat without Martz.
While I will concede a lot of what you say about Martz ..

mike-martz2002.jpg

He was undoubtedly Brilliant at what he did! Vermeil Changed a lot more than his "Offense" in order to Create the GSOT and Win-the-Big-One!
He also changed the way he Trained the entire Team! Just ask D'Marco Farr and the rest of the Defensive Players! Practices where Brutally Long!

fearsomefour

Legend
While I will concede a lot of what you say about Martz ..

View attachment 20552
He was undoubtedly Brilliant at what he did! Vermeil Changed a lot more than his "Offense" in order to Create the GSOT and Win-the-Big-One!
He also changed the way he Trained the entire Team! Just ask D'Marco Farr and the rest of the Defensive Players! Practices where Brutally Long!
I agree in total.
Vermeil managed to do something that few can....be opened minded and TOTALLY change their approach in a very short period of time, in his case, one offseason.
Not easy in any business and he deserves a mountain of credit for it.