A few observations..... Boras/Keenum - Cignetti/Foles & OLINE

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don't see them drafting another QB.

What about an experienced guy like; Kaepernick, Osweiler, RG3, Bradford, Fitzpatrick... Seems like a glut of tier 2 guys who could be available at the position unlike years before.

I'm not saying I'd do it... But it's shaping up to be an interesting offseason at QB around the league.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What about an experienced guy like; Kaepernick, Osweiler, RG3, Bradford, Fitzpatrick... Seems like a glut of tier 2 guys who could be available at the position unlike years before.

I'm not saying I'd do it... But it's shaping up to be an interesting offseason at QB around the league.

Jared Goff. Sell the farm. There...I said it. :LOL:

jjab360

Legend
I like Goff, I really do, but if I'm selling the farm I want a guy who has the complete physical package as well as mental in the early stages I think that might be Paxton Lynch. I'd give up a second to trade to the 6-10 range and get Goff, though.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

It's going to be interesting to see where our draft position is, where the QB's rank, and who is in position to draft one but doesn't need one (like Tennessee, Miami, San Diego, etc.)

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim

Kap no thanks, he is broken and I don't see the Rams spending time to fix him in fact I don't know if he can be fixed.
Osweiler I don't see the Broncos letting him get away
RG3 is physically broken and mentally a mess plus I don't think he is an NFL talent
Bradford I just don't think he can come back to the Rams he might be fully recovered but they can't put the trust in him
Fitz I would like if Keenum is gone but can he succeed outside Gailey's offense?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
See - I don't follow in this rigidity many cast on Fish and company. They used a 3rd on Mason and then grabbed Gurley though injured. They saw far better talent and even though they had used a higher pick than they did on Mannion, they pulled the trigger on Gurley. The idea that they used a 3rd on Mannion and thus would not use a first on a QB if they saw one as worthy just doesn't add up to me. If there is a QB they feel is worthy and the price is not too steep to even move up to get him, I think they will go for it and we will head into the season with Case, Mannion, and draftee at the QB position. If not however, I am ok with a Keenum/Mannion combination - especially if we grab a big time WR.

They drafted a running back nearly every year. That Is Fishers favorite position on offense. They could have had Bottles, Carr, Bridgewater. There is . Fisher prioritised running back. He has approached QB the same way he did OLine for the first few years. I believe he prefers veterans the position. He is already developing a QB and if he is convinced that Mannnion can be that guy he will stand pat.

Think about how much success Fisher and Snead have had taking BPA in the first two rounds. What are the chances that they see one of this year's QBs as the best player available, when there are going to be much better players at other positions? They will have to totally love one of these QBs, none of whom is a slam dunk, in order to take them over an instant starter. The most ready starter is probably Connor Cook. The rest will have a steep learning curve. You really think Fisher would pass on an Aaron Donald/Todd Gurley, game changing type talent for a project QB,when he has a a project QB on the roster that was in an NFL system and he used a valuable pick on already?

I hope you are right, but I don't think you are.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like Goff, I really do, but if I'm selling the farm I want a guy who has the complete physical package as well as mental in the early stages I think that might be Paxton Lynch. I'd give up a second to trade to the 6-10 range and get Goff, though.

Goff is the guy to sell the farm for. I like Paxton a lot but Goff is incredible. Goff's arm strength is underrated. If he were coming out of a pro style system, he'd be getting the Peyton Manning/Andrew Luck type hype. The kid models his game after Peyton Manning and it shows.

RamWoodie

Legend
Coach O is spot on in what he's saying. What Foles lacked was the ability to "read and react". I'll be the first to say I was somewhat fooled by Foles in the first game of the season when the Rams beat Seattle. I'm also puzzled by that game because the Rams have not shown the somewhat "offensive ingenuity" of that game.

Somewhere along the line they got lackluster, they wouldn't take shots down the field...and all year I've been wondering why (when you have pretty big WRs), you don't hit them with quick short passes and let them use their size and strength. Britt and Quick are not elite guys...but they've been made to look inadequate because of the lack of diverse offensive play calling.

Here's where I stand:
Fisher is worthy of another season...BUT...if he doesn't go out and get a better OC, he can pack his bags, because the Rams are too talented offensively to be ranked as low as they are. The problem is Fishers loyalty to his people, He hung with Shotty (and at this point I wish Shotty was still here), he gave Cigs an opportunity, but Cigs really failed the test late in close games.

He needs to go out and get an OC with imagination!

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Goff is the guy to sell the farm for. I like Paxton a lot but Goff is incredible. Goff's arm strength is underrated. If he were coming out of a pro style system, he'd be getting the Peyton Manning/Andrew Luck type hype. The kid models his game after Peyton Manning and it shows.
There isn't a consensus among the evaluations I have read and in fact there are some bad evals especially after their string of losses in mid season. What I saw was decent vision, strong arm and ability to move in the pocket. Needs to add some weight and gets rattled under pressure. I wanted to see their bowl game but did not. How did he look today?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There isn't a consensus among the evaluations I have read and in fact there are some bad evals especially after their string of losses in mid season. What I saw was decent vision, strong arm and ability to move in the pocket. Needs to add some weight and gets rattled under pressure. I wanted to see their bowl game but did not. How did he look today?

Best bowl game I've seen from a QB prospect. That good. Dominant.

I also have to disagree with those saying he gets rattled under pressure. Outstanding pocket presence, movement, and poise.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Best bowl game I've seen from a QB prospect. That good. Dominant.

I also have to disagree with those saying he gets rattled under pressure. Outstanding pocket presence, movement, and poise.

We won't have a shot at the guy if he's going #1.

You need to blow some holes in his game so he can drop a little.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We won't have a shot at the guy if he's going #1.

You need to blow some holes in his game so he can drop a little.

Luckily, NFL scouts are good at that. ;)

Like I said, he's worth whatever it takes to trade up into the top 5. Do not let San Francisco get him. We'll regret that for a decade or more.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
It's going to be interesting to see where our draft position is, where the QB's rank, and who is in position to draft one but doesn't need one (like Tennessee, Miami, San Diego, etc.)

I wouldn't necessarily count San Diego and Miami out of the QB market. You never know, especially with both teams likely having new head coaches.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I wouldn't necessarily count San Diego and Miami out of the QB market. You never know, especially with both teams likely having new head coaches.

Good point.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

If they want to get rid of Rivers or Tannehill, I know of a taker.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll tell you right now, the Rams should not hesitate. Do it. Do whatever it takes to get Jared Goff. Give them whatever they ask.

You can bookmark this post and come back in 3 years. Jared Goff is going to be great. If we get him, he'll bring us the Lombardi Trophy. He'll have his ups and downs like every rookie but he'll play well enough for us to make the playoffs next year. And after that? Watch out. We'll be a contender year in and year out.

Well, trading up for Goff would likely cost a future first as well as their first this year and their two seconds. Maybe more, since it likely would require trading with the Titans at #1. And Goff is not a sure thing, despite your confidence. Not many sure things have 5 interception games, especially against decent but not great teams. And of course, since he doesn't take all that many snaps under center, he would have a learning curve to make it in the NFL - a learning curve that not all top college QBs can handle.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, trading up for Goff would likely cost a future first as well as their first this year and their two seconds. Maybe more, since it likely would require trading with the Titans at #1. And Goff is not a sure thing, despite your confidence. Not many sure things have 5 interception games, especially against decent but not great teams. And of course, since he doesn't take all that many snaps under center, he would have a learning curve to make it in the NFL - a learning curve that not all top college QBs can handle.

Pay it. He's worth it.

I watched the 5 INT game. Don't care.(BTW, it's worth mentioning our current starting QB had a 6 interception game in college) People tried to claim Jameis Winston wouldn't be successful last year because he threw 18 INTs. People tried to claim that Cam Newton wouldn't be successful because he played in an offense centered around the read option. People tried to claim Russell Wilson wouldn't be successful because he was under 6'0". As long as there are QB prospects, there will be generalizations made.

The snaps under center thing isn't a big problem. That's been brought up time and time again with QB prospects. I can't recall a guy failing because he couldn't take snaps under center. Here's what Goff's OC had to say about him not taking snaps under center:
"Most little league coaches can teach it in about five minutes," Franklin says.

Pay the pied piper. Goff will win at least one Super Bowl as a Ram.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
4th year = contract year. Coincidence? Dude has been awesome this season though. Johnson too.

Gurley has been almost 100% boom or bust on individual runs with most of his big gains late in the game I think but better lately? I know he's had many games with 2-3 YPC if you subtract the 1 or 2 big runs.

Austin has been consistently gaining yards without the boom. I don't recall many big plays, over 15 yards, by him this season. But he's good for 6-8 every time they hand him the ball it seems to me. He's become so adept at making defenders miss in the backfield, I don't even worry when I see them blast through anymore when he's running the ball.

Bradford? Hill? Didn't Yikes get hurt before Mason emerged?

Seems to me Britt and CK have some real chemistry and Britt is our best WR. Dude has made a lot of really nice plays this season even with the terrible Foles. Not sure why they would even consider cutting him rather than adding to the WR corps so he's the 2 or 3.

Cook has been better, but I'd cut him before Britt. With Austin and Gurley running, Britt, Marquez, Welker (?), and Bailey (?) and a top tier WR or two to be named later, we need blocking TEs more, IMHO.
I'm not a Britt guy.
He doesn't make consistent plays in the passing game. The week in week out performance. He seems to be a one or two route guy. That may be a side effect of the QB problems and the O problems in general.
I am not saying he is way overpaid or anything, but, I would rather spend his money on D.
I just think there is more value there.
I could be totally wrong of course.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not a Britt guy.
He doesn't make consistent plays in the passing game. The week in week out performance. He seems to be a one or two route guy. That may be a side effect of the QB problems and the O problems in general.
I am not saying he is way overpaid or anything, but, I would rather spend his money on D.
I just think there is more value there.
I could be totally wrong of course.

I'm not crazy about Britt. But the Rams already need to add WRs to the team, and it is usually hard enough to add veterans anyway. Of their current receivers, Quick does not seem to have come back as effective after his energy, Bailey's career is likely over after the shooting, Austin is not a true WR even though he is awesome as a special use weapon. The other non-Britt receivers have their uses, but haven't shown themselves as being as good as Britt. I just don't think the Rams can afford to cut Britt until they have a number of other more effective receivers.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I'm not crazy about Britt. But the Rams already need to add WRs to the team, and it is usually hard enough to add veterans anyway. Of their current receivers, Quick does not seem to have come back as effective after his energy, Bailey's career is likely over after the shooting, Austin is not a true WR even though he is awesome as a special use weapon. The other non-Britt receivers have their uses, but haven't shown themselves as being as good as Britt. I just don't think the Rams can afford to cut Britt until they have a number of other more effective receivers.

KB just doesn't seem to get any love. Is anyone aware he's 3rd in the NFL for YPR? 600 yards with the worst passing game in the NFL is actually pretty good, it's 23% of the total passing yards. He's made a lot of receptions no one else was making. Some pretty clutch stuff. That pass last week, deep to TA that he caught out of bounds, I bet KB hauls that in.

Dude needs a QB and a WR to take the heat off of him, IMHO. I sure wouldn't cut him, he could be a solid #2 on a sound offense.