A few observations..... Boras/Keenum - Cignetti/Foles & OLINE

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Thought I'd chime in with a few random thoughts about the comparisons in the Boras/Keenum tandem vs. the Cignetti/Foles pairing.

First, i've read a lot of "Boras Is using the middle of the field" comments. While i agree they seem to be making better use of the middle of the field, I think the credit is somewhat misplaced. This is more about Keenum and the willingness to look there and get the ball out on time.

The play calling has not been dramatically different. But the "execution" has been much better. That's the other thing I see mentioned. Well, if by execution you mean understanding where and WHEN you throw the ball, then I wholehearted agree.

There were two plays that jumped off the page to me that are examples of what I mean. Both were completions to Britt. The first play was on the first pass of the game. Keenum stood in the pocket and threw the ball as Britt CAME OUT OF HIS BREAK and connected for a 13 yard gain on a basic "in" route.

This play has been used numerous times throughout the season but for whatever reason Foles never seemed to throw it on time. By the time the ball would arrive, the "separation" was gone because the DB had plenty time the close on the route. And isn't it curious that the receivers (Cook included) aren't dropping passes when the ball gets there when its supposed to?

The other play was the TD pass to Britt. How many times this season have we seen receivers get behind CBs only to be forced to slow up for an under thrown (late) pass, or worse yet have the CB make up the ground and close the "separation" because the ball wasn't there yet?

Keenum released the ball as soon as Britt was "even with" (running by) Sherman and laid it out there for Britt to be able to "make a play". Again, something that Cignetti/Foles tried quite often. The difference being the "execution" of the QB.

I think Boras is doing a good job and of staying committed to the running game. Something I thought Cignetti had a tendency to go away from which only exposed the glaring shortcomings of the passing game.

They have been able to get a lead in these games, which obviously makes it easier for him to stick with the run. But that is yet another noticeable difference between the coordinators. I am not trying to say that Boras has reinvented this offense. But there is little argument that they have been more efficient and more productive.

The other observation I'd like to make is in reference to the OLINE. I've seen stats brought up about the rankings (6th in YPC) and sacks allowed (2nd) and how those stats somehow are indicative of how they've performed.

At the risk of overstating the obvious, I don't think anything can be made of either stat. In terms of the overall performance of the unit, I doubt there is little to argue about. This unit has been a microcosm of the season. It has been painstakingly inconsistent from one game to the next.

That being said, is there anyone who can say they can objectively expect anything more from any unit who has been forced to mix and match personnel as much as they did throughout the year? Anyone else think it's not a coincidence that for the first time all season they have trotted out the same five man unit the past month which happens to end up with a three game winning streak?

The tendency is to look at the individuals when evaluating the offensive line. But the production is more a byproduct of the collective group than a bunch of individuals. For the first time all season, they have been able to line up next to the same guy. The communication and cohesiveness has been better because of it. What ultimately translates into less mistakes and better play overall.

Moving forward, IMO, this unit isn't the major concern that many seem to think it is. Wichmann has gained valuable experience and will most likely come to training camp being a valuable depth guy on the inside. Bring back Reynolds and they are in a much better place than they were going into 2015. Barnes has shown to be steady and a definite upgrade over previous years. Especially when the Guard play has been ok next to him. The games Barnes appeared to struggle were with the likes of Donnal and Rhaney playing guard. Coincidence? I think not.

Get J. Brown back and suddenly the unit doesn't look as frenetic as it has appeared at times this year.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Does make me wonder, would Cig still be with the team if Keenum had started after the Green Bay game? What say you, @CoachO ?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great right up CoachO..fantastic

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
CoachO,

Do you think that the incorporation of more drive blocking as opposed to reach/zone blocking has helped this unit jell? To me the rookies were always maulers rather than speed/quick guys.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Does make me wonder, would Cig still be with the team if Keenum had started after the Green Bay game? What say you, @CoachO ?
Impossible to say one way or another. I do think Cignetti became way too predictable and was way to focused on forcing the ball to Tavon.

Be it Keenum or Boras, they are making a point of getting others more involved and the Jet Sweep is not being called every 4th play from scrimmage.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
@CoachO, any thoughts as to Brown/Wichmann at LG/RG vs. Reynolds/Brown in 2016? Seems like Reynolds has provided something of a calming role for Robinson - evidenced by how bad Robinson looked when Reynolds was forced to RT - but in the summer, there seemed to be some success with a left side of Robinson-Brown.

Also, I know a lot of us want Saffold cut, but is there any value in having him be the first man off the bench in 2016? Regardless of his contract, are we a better team with Saffold as the 6th OL vs. Wichmann/Reynolds (including the fact that Saffold and Reynolds are the only two truly versatile players who can reliably play both guard and both tackle spots in a pinch)?

My own thoughts, I'd like to see an OL of Robinson-Brown-Barnes-Wichmann-Havenstein to kick off camp and preseason, with Reynolds, Saffold (if retained), Battle, Donnal and Rhaney as the backups.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
the Jet Sweep is not being called every 4th play from scrimmage.

Amen to that! After a few games it appeared to me that defenses were waiting for it.

jjab360

Legend
@CoachO, any thoughts as to Brown/Wichmann at LG/RG vs. Reynolds/Brown in 2016? Seems like Reynolds has provided something of a calming role for Robinson - evidenced by how bad Robinson looked when Reynolds was forced to RT - but in the summer, there seemed to be some success with a left side of Robinson-Brown.

Also, I know a lot of us want Saffold cut, but is there any value in having him be the first man off the bench in 2016? Regardless of his contract, are we a better team with Saffold as the 6th OL vs. Wichmann/Reynolds (including the fact that Saffold and Reynolds are the only two truly versatile players who can reliably play both guard and both tackle spots in a pinch)?

My own thoughts, I'd like to see an OL of Robinson-Brown-Barnes-Wichmann-Havenstein to kick off camp and preseason, with Reynolds, Saffold (if retained), Battle, Donnal and Rhaney as the backups.
I know it's not going to happen but with as bad as he's played this year, I want to see us give GRob a break and make him the 6th OL and go Saffold-Reynolds-Barnes-Wichmann-Havenstein.

Doesn't make him a bust, but maybe a step back will give him some perspective and light a fire under him heading into next year.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I know it's not going to happen but with as bad as he's played this year, I want to see us give GRob a break and make him the 6th OL and go Saffold-Reynolds-Barnes-Wichmann-Havenstein.

Doesn't make him a bust, but maybe a step back will give him some perspective and light a fire under him heading into next year.
I don't see that happening at all. I'm really looking forward to seeing what GRob does in the offseason - I'm REALLY hoping that his newfound understanding of how much he doesn't know leads to him spending the offseason with a technique guru. LeCharles Bentley, to be specific.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Impossible to say one way or another. I do think Cignetti became way too predictable and was way to focused on forcing the ball to Tavon.

Be it Keenum or Boras, they are making a point of getting others more involved and the Jet Sweep is not being called every 4th play from scrimmage.
I wonder if a jet sweep can reliably be part of an offensive attack and not become easily diagnosed and stopped, a la the Dolphins' experiment with the Wildcat. I know it's proven to be dangerous, especially when it's TA in conjunction with the threat of TG. But that misdirection is very option-y, and we've seen how the read option works when tried at the NFL level against NFL defenses.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
GRob had his best game as a Ram yesterday. The whole OL played well. No offsides, no holding (one on renoylds but declined). Wichmann has gotten better with every game he's played. Havenstien just knows how to play RT and adjust to each guy he faces, smart player. Rams need to draft another couple OL and they will be much better next season. If GRob plays like he did yesterday from here on out, he will make a pro bowl.

FRO

Legend
Boras is better than Cig. Keenum is better than Foles. Neither may be the answer though. Foles wasn't a fit at all and played horrible for us. I would still like to upgrade the QB spot and the OC spot this offseason.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
@CoachO, any thoughts as to Brown/Wichmann at LG/RG vs. Reynolds/Brown in 2016?

Making the assumption that the lightbulb comes on for Robinson and he decides to learn what to (his issues are more what not how to) do, I know they would prefer to use Reynolds at RG and Brown at LG.

So I would envision a unit that included that alignment going into camp with Wichmann being the primary backup inside. Then you have Williams, Donnal and Battle to compete on the outside.

Saffold is the wildcard. IF he is in their plans at all, he could be the ultimate swing guy at all four spots.

Last edited:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I don't see that happening at all. I'm really looking forward to seeing what GRob does in the offseason - I'm REALLY hoping that his newfound understanding of how much he doesn't know leads to him spending the offseason with a technique guru. LeCharles Bentley, to be specific.
At the risk of blowing up the guru and his propaganda piece, Robinson's issues have more to do with a lack of understanding WHAT he is supposed to do opposed to HOW to do it. When he hesitates, he is out of position. Which invariably causes technique to go out the window. When he fails to recognize blitzes pre snap, he whiffs more often than not or ends up holding out of desperation.

Better preparation will lead to better technique and less reaching.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Great thoughts, @CoachO !! I'm hopeful about this unit next year, for once, and that's not drinking any koolaid (again, for once).

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
At the risk of blowing up the guru and his propaganda piece, Robinson's issues have more to do with a lack of understanding WHAT he is supposed to do opposed to HOW to do it. When he hesitates, he is out of position. Which invariably causes technique to go out the window. When he fails to recognize blitzes pre snap, he whiffs more often than not or ends up holding out of desperation.

Better preparation will lead to better technique and less reaching.
That's all true, but I have to think that technique plays a big role in it as well. If you're slow to react/recognize and in a physical position that makes it harder to get an optimal amount of power and balance under you as you recover, that's a compound problem.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Saffold is the wildcard. IF he is in their plans at all, he could be the ultimate swing guy at all four spots.
All good points. As to Saffold, I agree with your role for him, but nothing I've seen suggests he won't be in the Rams plans; indeed, Fisher recently stated, "I don't have the philosophy where a player is going to lose his job because of injury". I fully expect Saffold will be back and named as a starter assuming he's healthy when camp begins.