49ers acquire Jimmy Garoppolo in trade with Patriots

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They have about half a season to figure out if they want to. I think Garapolo has as much potential as any of the QBs in this coming draft. He has a very quick release and has an insanely fast synapse. It remains to be seen if he can put it all to good use.

The more they wait the more his price goes up if he's performing well though. Granted they have a ton of cap space.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Great questions. Personally I think they messed this up in the off-season. Should of taken the 2 first rounders from Cleveland. Brady must be sticking around for a while because they were committed to working out a deal next year to keep him.

Bill the GM has had a brutal offseason coming into this year and this looks like another bad move to go with the 5 or 6 bad moves they have made this calendar year.

Yeah that was a huge blunder. Two first round picks compared to a second.

So they used a 2nd rounder to get jg and now get a 2nd rounder for him. I wonder what a high 2nd round pick 4 years later is worth compared to the original 2nd round pick. At least they got 2 games out of him.

Bad return on investment. Generally a second acquired the following year is consider equal value to a third in the current draft. So did they get equal to a fourth round pick? I think since it is a current trade and current pick that they made out okay. Not what they hoped but okay.

Not really. Peter King was local radio this morning. Said Pats tried to work a long term deal with Garapolo back in the Spring, he was not interested, he wants to play. Can't blame him since who knows how long Brady will want to play. So they had no choice but to deal him at some point.

So he was insurance for 1/2 the season, now they deal him and hope Brady stays healthy.

They had a choice. He is insurance against a Brady injury. They still get a late third if he leaves as a free agent.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Here is the next move. With Luck coming back, the Colts don't need Brissett. Brissett knows the Patriots playbook and they re-aquire him from Indy. This deal may have been planned when they originally traded Brissett to Indy.

So, Brissett got a lot more playing time than he would have sitting behind Garapolo. He is better for it. What remains to be seen is what would the compensation be and how does it compare to what the Colts gave up to get Brissett in the first place? Which was first round receiver Phillip Dorsett. So do, they swap back? Do the Colts want more?

Either way this seems like the best scenario for Belichick.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Personally I think they messed this up in the off-season. Should of taken the 2 first rounders from Cleveland.
I dont think that there is any truth to that rumor. There's just no way thy would have turned that down. Especially considering Brissett was still on the team then
I think the Pats did the best they could. They drafted him late in the 2nd, almost 3rd round and are getting an early 2nd rounder which is almost a first. They cant sign him long term and cant afford to franchise him.
Makes sense that they waited it out, see how Brady holds up.
In all likelihood, no team is gonna win the Superbowl with a backup QB, so its Brady or bust and they'll bring in the next Garoppolo in the spring

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not really. Peter King was local radio this morning. Said Pats tried to work a long term deal with Garapolo back in the Spring, he was not interested, he wants to play. Can't blame him since who knows how long Brady will want to play. So they had no choice but to deal him at some point.

So he was insurance for 1/2 the season, now they deal him and hope Brady stays healthy.
If he's truly a franchise QB at his age, vs Brady at his age...you keep both until season's end and then get Brady to retire or something else....The only reason you don't do this is if you think Garoppolo isn't good enough to be Brady's replacement....Brady will fall off a cliff athletically at anytime...So, really.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Garoppolo is going to be a stud.
Not sure we can say this with much certainty... to wit:
Ryan Mallet worked out well.
I hope he turns out not quite as good as Cassell.
Matt Flynn, matt Cassel, Kevin kolb, and even Elvis grbac.
Ryan Mallett, Matt Cassel
He'll be another Osweiler, he only did okay because he was on the patsies.
or is this just the next Matt Cassel to the Chiefs, move, where the Patriots fleece a needy team?(insert Garoppolo and 49ers as necessary)

Hard to tell exactly how good Garoppolo really is... but these thoughts come to mid:
since BB doesn't trade away good players.
If Belicheat believed in this guy... believed he was a true franchise QB... he never would have traded him period.

Yeah... it's a crap shoot whenever a team trades for the "next shiny object"... ya know, like that guy Foles?
Garapalo played 4 games on a really good team. I never believe in back ups who look good in a short spurt and then the team trades them. It very rarely works out.
How many times has a backup to a great QB been hailed as the savior after a good game or two? A lot. How many times has it panned out? Twice? Garoppolo could end up being pretty OK.

This is what I understood... to Garropolo, it was about starting... he was tired of sitting on the bench.
Said Pats tried to work a long term deal with Garapolo back in the Spring, he was not interested, he wants to play.

Yup, competition brings out the best in people... at least for most people (I think AZ is the worst at devising a plan to combat the increased talent in the NFC West) right now.
We've raised the bar and the rest of the division has to respond.
Holy cow NFC West making moves

My guess (in terms of which teams are best prepared to face the challenges in the NFC West)?
LA
SF
Sounds like the new regime has a plan.
SEA
AZ

The Rams have forced the others to take a long, hard look at what they need to stay competitive in the division.

SEA gets Brown - they know what he can do... a track record
SF gets Garropolo - not sure what they really got there
AZ - crickets

Of them, I see SF as being the most active... for one, they need a lot of help. For another, Shanahan is pretty experienced in the ways of the NFL and he has his daddy to help him devise a plan to get back to competitive (and beyond).

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he's truly a franchise QB at his age, vs Brady at his age...you keep both until season's end and then get Brady to retire or something else....The only reason you don't do this is if you think Garoppolo isn't good enough to be Brady's replacement....Brady will fall off a cliff athletically at anytime...So, really.
I dont know about that. Brady isnt showing any signs of slowing down so you cant force him out.
If Favre wasnt so bipolar about retiring, Green Bay would have kept him around. Brady hasnt given any indication that he's done.
They'll draft another QB in the spring and let him learn from the master

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dont know about that. Brady isnt showing any signs of slowing down so you cant force him out.
If Favre wasnt so bipolar about retiring, Green Bay would have kept him around. Brady hasnt given any indication that he's done.
They'll draft another QB in the spring and let him learn from the master
Well, I don't believe in magic. Brady can't continue this way for much longer unless he is juiced somehow, imo. As for Favre, he was getting pushed by Aaron Rodgers if memory serves, and that contributed to Favre's bipolar reactions...

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
So the Pats continue stock piling 2nd round draft picks. Mike and Mike were discussing the trend this morning. The drop off in financial commitment between 1st round picks and 2nd round picks is enormous. The Pats don't want 1st round picks.

They are smart. I hate them.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Looks like good news....we're about to run away with the division....and teams are making moves....good sign....

IDK if Jimmy can play. He's looked good...but he reminds me of K. Cousins....decent QB in a system....

Still good news...why...looks like SF and Seattle are scared.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, I don't believe in magic. Brady can't continue this way for much longer unless he is juiced somehow, imo. As for Favre, he was getting pushed by Aaron Rodgers if memory serves, and that contributed to Favre's bipolar reactions...
Nah. Favre was talking retirement in 2006 and then 2007 was like a swan song season. He broke a ton of records along the way. Rodgers wasnt pushing him at all, Favre had one of his best seasons ever. He just changed his mind but it was too late....
I agree on Brady in that who knows how long his body can hold up. He doesn't show any signs of slowing down though so why not ride that as long as possible?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2741619

Malcolm Butler Trade Rumors: Patriots 'Open' to Moving CB Ahead of Deadline
SCOTT POLACEKOCTOBER 30, 2017

hi-res-04f26dfae9f6150ebb1bbdec87f60526_crop_north.jpg

Adam Glanzman/Getty Images
The New England Patriots reportedly may not be done trading before Tuesday's deadline.

On Monday, CBSSports.com's Jason La Canfora reported the defending champions are "still open to trading Malcolm Butler." La Canfora noted the cornerback could "be paired with" the 2018 second-round draft pick New England acquired in the Jimmy Garoppolo trade.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reported the Patriots traded Garoppolo to the San Francisco 49ers for the second-round pick.

La Canfora said he would "be shocked" if the Patriots ultimately used the draft pick they acquired Monday and noted they are "looking for run stuffers."

The desire for defensive help up front doesn't come as much surprise, considering they are a mere 24th in the league in rushing yards allowed per game.

While Butler could be used to help facilitate such a move, Henry McKennaof USA Today's Patriots Wire raised the possibility New England could use the franchise tag on the cornerback since using it on Garoppolo is no longer on the table.

McKenna pointed out the Patriots may be resistant to give Butler long-term money after signing fellow cornerback Stephon Gilmore, but a franchise tag would be a way to keep him around.

Whether he is traded, franchised or something else, whichever team ends up with Butler in the future will have a talented defensive back who has already won two Super Bowls with New England. He was a hero in one with a game-saving interception of Russell Wilson at the goal line in Super Bowl XLIX and has a 2015 Pro Bowl on his resume.

Butler has eight interceptions in his career, two of which came in the first eight games of the 2017 campaign.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
What a deal for the 49ers. Garoppolo is going to be a stud. As a Rams fan hate this trade. SF just got a lot better with this move

If this move causes the whiners to outsmart themselves and not draft Darnold, it's a great move for the Rams. As to Garoppolo, not impressed and will say once again he's a JAG at QB; will be average at best. Dude has been overrated just like all the other Patriot backup QBs that Belicheat has moved, and will suck just like the rest of them without the comfort of the Patriots' OL and talent around him.

Funny that the Cheaters traded away both of Brady's backups and got so very little in return for what is being tabbed as 2 franchise QB's. Makes you wonder how good they really are since BB doesn't trade away good players.

Exactly. If Garoppolo was as good as the New England hype machine made him out to be, Belicheat would have traded Brady by now. Dude is a JAG who will keep the spot warm for the rookie the whiners draft next year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And once again going to give Belicheat cred for moving guys for futures picks. THAT is why they stay on top right there, keep feeding on those extra second and third round picks that keep your roster depth where it needs to be to counter the FA losses.

If Tavon had played for Belicheat he wouldn't have gotten that contract, but he also would have been moved by now for a pick to supplement our future in next year's draft.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS Has a very quick trigger and good wrist snap that translates to a smooth throwing motion and clean, compact delivery (no windup). Lightning release quickness. Urgent decision maker. Sells play-action. Athletic enough to slide in the pocket and buy time with his feet while keeping his eyes downfield. Good anticipation -- throws his receivers open. Can change ball speeds and drop it in a bucket. Does not take unnecessary sacks and will dump the ball. Will deliver the ball looking down the barrel of a gun. Tough-minded and poised in the pocket -- can withstand a hit and pop back up. Highly competitive. Smart, respected, vocal team leader. Very durable, experienced, four-year starter. Good football intelligence.
WEAKNESSES Is a tad undersized with small hands and short arms. Uses a three-quarters delivery that could lead to batted balls. Works heavily out of the shotgun in a spread offense, and footwork could require adjustment to working from under center. Does not always feel pressure in the pocket. Does not rip the deep out or drive the ball with high RPMs. Undershoots and often hangs the deep ball. Makes receivers work for the ball downfield, and deep accuracy could stand to improve. Makes a lot of simple, one-look reads and was not heavily challenged by consistent pressure or complex looks in the Ohio Valley Conference.
DRAFT PROJECTION Round 2
BOTTOM LINE A decorated FCS passer, Garoppolo could excite quarterback coaches with his quick delivery, mental make-up and work habits, yet he still needs to prove he can fit the ball into tight windows and do more than carve up soft shells the way he regularly did on his way to a record-breaking performance in college. Possesses the physical tools to eventually earn an NFL starting job in a rhythm passing game with continued refinement but is more of a caretaker than a game changer and will require some patience adapting to the NFL game.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
I think JG will be decent, intelligence and years of 'training' in the NFL, he'll be fine.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dont think that there is any truth to that rumor. There's just no way thy would have turned that down. Especially considering Brissett was still on the team then
I think the Pats did the best they could. They drafted him late in the 2nd, almost 3rd round and are getting an early 2nd rounder which is almost a first. They cant sign him long term and cant afford to franchise him.
Makes sense that they waited it out, see how Brady holds up.
In all likelihood, no team is gonna win the Superbowl with a backup QB, so its Brady or bust and they'll bring in the next Garoppolo in the spring

Agreed on that offer being rumor.

I don't think Belicheat ever saw Garoppolo as the heir apparent. That was all media hype BS. Never bought into it. But I do expect the Patriots to draft the heir apparent soon, maybe even in this year's QB rich draft. The guys at the top in this class have taken some hits this year with their play, but there are some real good options. If I'm the Patriots right now I'm also not buying into the "Tom Brady can play until he's 45" BS either, and my concern is getting a true high end starter in place here soon so that when that dropoff happens the team has their next guy up.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Seems to me that this idea that there are backup QB's sitting on NFL benches that are really good are unicorns.

If we think about how often that type of thing happens then your thought here is right on the money.

How many backups end up average to above average starters.

A few maybe, most notably Bulger. But other than that it's ScottMitchellville.

Great questions. Personally I think they messed this up in the off-season. Should of taken the 2 first rounders from Cleveland. Brady must be sticking around for a while because they were committed to working out a deal next year to keep him.

That was never offered, the Browns offered a second round pick and no more. They weren't even willing to up it to a first rounder. The 2 #1's was an internet rumor.

So they used a 2nd rounder to get jg and now get a 2nd rounder for him. I wonder what a high 2nd round pick 4 years later is worth compared to the original 2nd round pick. At least they got 2 games out of him.

They also had an insurance policy too, so there is that.

I'm going to call this right now. Hoyer got released, he's going to NE where he started his career.

Looks like good news....we're about to run away with the division....and teams are making moves....good sign....

I agree, teams feel like they need to make moves when they feel like they have to keep up.

I don't think anyone on SEA's payroll is taking the Rams lightly after the game in LA, they know the Rams are for real and they were gifted that win and barely got one versus the Texans.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
This makes me think that New England wants to move up in the draft.
He didn't want to sit behind Brady, they had no choice if they wanted something for him. So now imagine they move up enough to get a shot at one of the 3 top QBs in this years draft. He sits behind Brady for another year or 2 and they could get a great QB and not have to pay top dollar for 5 years. It is how they play the game.