49ers acquire Jimmy Garoppolo in trade with Patriots

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
That was never offered, the Browns offered a second round pick and no more. They weren't even willing to up it to a first rounder. The 2 #1's was an internet rumor.

I believe #12 was on the table. Cleveland came to the table over and over in April trying to pry him away from NE. If you ask me the offer of a 2nd rounder only is an internet rumor or plant. Hue Jackson is on record of saying how badly he wanted Garropolo. I heard the talk radio in Boston for a month. I find it hard to believe they only offered 1 2nd.

Then again, maybe I am just hoping and praying that BB is losing his mind is this is the start of the fall of the Patriots. But take a look at their offseason moves this year. Its been a disaster. They have made many bad moves and maybe they made another lol.

Ram65

Legend
If we think about how often that type of thing happens then your thought here is right on the money.

How many backups end up average to above average starters.

A few maybe, most notably Bulger. But other than that it's ScottMitchellville.

Kurt Warner and Aaron Rodgers come to mind. I have doubts about Jimmy G. being much better than average.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He didn't want to sit behind Brady, they had no choice if they wanted something for him. So now imagine they move up enough to get a shot at one of the 3 top QBs in this years draft. He sits behind Brady for another year or 2 and they could get a great QB and not have to pay top dollar for 5 years. It is how they play the game.

Nah, it's not like Belichick to take such risks. Picks are overrated. Proven players are more valuable. Garapolo is more valuable than a hit or miss draft choice.

They won't have enough to move to top five unless they finish 15th or lower.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How many backups end up average to above average starters.
Brady, Tyrod Taylor, Alex Smith, Philip Rivers, Kirk Cousins, Aaron Rodgers come to mind in today's game. Brett Favre, Kurt Warner, Trent Green, Vince Ferragamo from the past did ok

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I believe #12 was on the table. Cleveland came to the table over and over in April trying to pry him away from NE. If you ask me the offer of a 2nd rounder only is an internet rumor or plant. Hue Jackson is on record of saying how badly he wanted Garropolo. I heard the talk radio in Boston for a month. I find it hard to believe they only offered 1 2nd.

Not according to sources close to the Browns and the reporters.

You know you can't trust talk radio, c'mon.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bro...i57j0j69i60.3144j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Brady, Tyrod Taylor, Alex Smith, Philip Rivers, Kirk Cousins, Aaron Rodgers come to mind in today's game. Brett Favre, Kurt Warner, Trent Green, Vince Ferragamo from the past did ok
I think the intent of the statement was how many back ups that have been traded for when they were backing up. Which I am sure you new what was ment. LOL

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Kurt Warner and Aaron Rodgers come to mind. I have doubts about Jimmy G. being much better than average.

I think there is a big difference between a backup and a starter in waiting/training like Rodgers. Aaron Rodgers was a first round draft choice.

Warner, yes. He's the example.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
I think the intent of the statement was how many back ups that have been traded for when they were backing up. Which I am sure you new what was ment. LOL

Yep

Alex Smith, Phillip Rivers and Aaron Rodgers off the top of the head were all first rounders and were starters in training.

Any argument that throws Brady up as the "truth" is suspect.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think there is a big difference between a backup and a starter in waiting/training like Rodgers. Aaron Rodgers was a first round draft choice.

Warner, yes. He's the example.
And Garoppolo was a 2nd rounder, only difference is that Brady hasnt started whining about retiring to get attention like Favre did.
Favre incidentally was also a 2nd rounder who was a back up who got traded and did ok

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
And Garoppolo was a 2nd rounder, only difference is that Brady hasnt started whining about retiring to get attention like Favre did.
Favre incidentally was also a 2nd rounder who was a back up who got traded and did ok
What is being asked is not how many back ups became good starters. It is how many back ups on one team is traded for by another team because of some performance with there first team, has turned out well for the team that trades for them. Brady, Rodgers do not qualify because they were not traded for.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What is being asked is not how many back ups became good starters. It is how many back ups on one team is traded for by another team because of some performance with there first team, has turned out well for the team that trades for them. Brady, Rodgers do not qualify because they were not traded for.
Seems like the goal posts keep getting moved.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
If he's truly a franchise QB at his age, vs Brady at his age...you keep both until season's end and then get Brady to retire or something else....The only reason you don't do this is if you think Garoppolo isn't good enough to be Brady's replacement....Brady will fall off a cliff athletically at anytime...So, really.

Yeah, "you make Brady retire" sure. Guy wins you 5 SBs and and you are going to make him leave.

And sure if Garropalo was the next Andrew Luck (Non injured) then maybe you do something, but anything short of that you can't make Brady do anything and you shouldn't. He is the Patriots... greatest players in Boston history, right up there with Ted Williams, Russell, Orr, and Bird. The reality is he is probably greater.

So it's not like he is injured like Manning was. The dude just won you another SB in an unbelievable fashion, and still looks great. So if anything it makes a lot of sense. They can pick his successor again and it gives them 2-3 years to groom him.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, "you make Brady retire" sure. Guy wins you 5 SBs and and you are going to make him leave.

And sure if Garropalo was the next Andrew Luck (Non injured) then maybe you do something, but anything short of that you can't make Brady do anything and you shouldn't. He is the Patriots... greatest players in Boston history, right up there with Ted Williams, Russell, Orr, and Bird. The reality is he is probably greater.

So it's not like he is injured like Manning was. The dude just won you another SB in an unbelievable fashion, and still looks great. So if anything it makes a lot of sense. They can pick his successor again and it gives them 2-3 years to groom him.
In his last 20 games (since deflategate), Brady has thrown 44 TD to only 4 INT!!!
Yeah, put him out to pasture....
Yeah right!!!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

My point has been that Garoppolo must not be all that different from some 2nd rounder coming out of college...I could care less what the Patriots do OR their motivations for trading a JAG...I just know that you don't trade a 2nd rounder for a franchise QB if that is what the Pats think he is, which Mr G. must not be in Bellicheat's eyes.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My point has been that Garoppolo must not be all that different from some 2nd rounder coming out of college...I could care less what the Patriots do OR their motivations for trading a JAG...I just know that you don't trade a 2nd rounder for a franchise QB if that is what the Pats think he is, which Mr G. must not be in Bellicheat's eyes.
You are missing the point, they cant afford to keep both.
At this point, a 2nd rounder is the best they can get. Would get nothing if they didnt trade him