3rd Round | Pick 89, Rams select: QB Sean Mannion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like the pick.
Kid is tough.
Looks like a duel between Keenum and Davis for a roster spot

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
You don't have to reside in Oregon to watch a guy play. The great thing about television and the internet is that you can watch a guy anywhere. Markus Wheaton and Brandin Cooks were two of my favorite players so I tuned in and watched a number of games they played in. That involved watching Mannion. I've seen a lot of games from him dating back to 2012. This year was probably the year where I saw the least of him.(four games)

Don't make assumptions just because you don't agree with people's opinions. If I haven't seen a guy play (or seen enough of him), I'll tell you that. Like I did in the Jamon Brown thread. If I'm going to put my neck out there on an evaluation, you better bet I've done my homework.

Fair enough, tho I'm 100% with 503 on this one. I'll just have to disagree with your assessment on Mannion, the Rams were going to draft a QB today, everybody should have known that, they've done their homework and they targeted him, we all have our opinions, I base mine using the eye test over an extended amount of time. Haven't really payed much attention to Grayson but I can assure you I have seen enough of Mannion and I'm OK with this pick late in the 3rd.

Sometimes we're wrong (me with Hundley, you with Clemmings as far as draft positioning goes) I guess we'll just have to wait and see on this one.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll leave it at this for tonight. I applaud all of you that have stayed positive. It's a lot harder to be positive than it is to be negative. If you're negative, it's a win-win. The player doesn't pan out and you get to be "right". The player does pan out and it benefits your team leading to more wins so at that point, you don't care that you were wrong.

I honestly do not like to be negative. It's not something I enjoy being. I am generally a happy and positive person in real life. But I spend a lot of time evaluating as many draft prospects as I can each year so I can have my own opinions on guys that don't come from the media experts. I take pride in this and I want to continue to improve at it which means more time and more failures. Because when I fail, I get to see what I overlooked or missed or underrated. And that makes me better at spotting those things in a player the next time.

Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that I have my opinion of Mannion from many hours spent watching him. I stand by that opinion. But Mannion is a Ram and I hope my opinion turns out to be wrong. I want the guy to be successful because my ego and pride are less important to me than the Rams winning. That's what brings me enjoyment as a fan...not being right. I hope to be eating crow in a few years and I'll be rooting for Mannion because he is a member of my team.

Thank you guys that stayed positive. Please know that I don't take any pleasure in tearing apart a Rams pick. I just have my opinion of what I think the Rams should do and I enjoy expressing it. It's why I love posting here. Thank you all for humoring me and my pissy attitude tonight.

Stel

Starter
Brett Hundley played in the same conference behind a bad OL with same level of receiving talent yet he managed to produce. Why couldn't Mannion?

Mannion produced over 13,000 yards and passed at a 64+% clip over 4 years with far less talent around him than Hundley. Turnovers? Mannion had 29 fumbles, losing 9, in 4 years. Hundley had 29 fumbles, losing 10, in 3 years. Mannion had 54 int in 1838 attempts (2.9%), Hundley 25 int in 1241 attempts (2.0%).

Moostache

Rookie
...Looks like a duel between Keenum and Davis for a roster spot

I think that would be the battle for the back-up slot, right?

Mannion won't be the back-up in '15. I'm a little mystified by this pick. I just don't see a future starter in Mannion and a 3rd round pick with so many other QBs on the board (Petty, Bridge, Hundley) made it likely that the Rams could have gone BPA with this pick, taken a flier on Cummings or Gabe Jackson or rolled the dice on Hundley (who would have at least been something the Rams don't currently have - a legitimate threat to scramble and keep plays alive)...

We'll see, but this one feels too cute by half on the surface.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I'll leave it at this for tonight. I applaud all of you that have stayed positive. It's a lot harder to be positive than it is to be negative. If you're negative, it's a win-win. The player doesn't pan out and you get to be "right". The player does pan out and it benefits your team leading to more wins so at that point, you don't care that you were wrong.

I honestly do not like to be negative. It's not something I enjoy being. I am generally a happy and positive person in real life. But I spend a lot of time evaluating as many draft prospects as I can each year so I can have my own opinions on guys that don't come from the media experts. I take pride in this and I want to continue to improve at it which means more time and more failures. Because when I fail, I get to see what I overlooked or missed or underrated. And that makes me better at spotting those things in a player the next time.

Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that I have my opinion of Mannion from many hours spent watching him. I stand by that opinion. But Mannion is a Ram and I hope my opinion turns out to be wrong. I want the guy to be successful because my ego and pride are less important to me than the Rams winning. That's what brings me enjoyment as a fan...not being right. I hope to be eating crow in a few years and I'll be rooting for Mannion because he is a member of my team.

Thank you guys that stayed positive. Please know that I don't take any pleasure in tearing apart a Rams pick. I just have my opinion of what I think the Rams should do and I enjoy expressing it. It's why I love posting here. Thank you all for humoring me and my pissy attitude tonight.
I prefer that you have your own view of him. You've done your research and know what you like.
The different perspectives is what makes this place run.

Athos

Legend
Well. I'm outta here.

I'm still pissed and that won't change. Snisher fucked up the QB situation last year, panicked this year, and took the worst possible QB we could take.

I'm annoyed so I'm gonna sleep it off and stop watching the rest of the draft. My interest has just been neutered.

PARAM

Hall of Fame

It's all good JRRY. What it comes down to is the ability to evaluate. NFL guys get paid to do it and they're still wrong a good deal of the time. They stand by their opinions and you stand by yours. Kudos. I become less interested in the draft from the standpoint of who's a good pick and who isn't. 11 teams passed on the DROY last year. That doesn't make not taking AD a bad move, depending on how their picks turn out. Brady was passed over for 5 1/2 rounds. Warner went undrafted. And there's plenty examples of high picks (sometimes rated high by the majority of those who do it for a living) who flopped.

I like our draft but I'm simply going by the descriptions I read (outside of our 1st round pick).

So who do we want them to take tomorrow?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Here's a fun stat...Mannion played 9 games against the Pac-12 this year and threw 10 TDs to 6 Ints in those games. 10 TDs in 9 conference games.

And that was with a worse OL than the Rams... by a bunch. In a conference with defenses that ate QBs like they do in our conference... Ask Hundley how the Defenses eat QBs...

The more I look at him and especially at his pro day and think about with a few tweaks to his upper body mechanics how clean he could be... how much quicker his release could be... I can see why Cigs and likely Weinke really liked this kid.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
I was never a huge Mannion fan, I think I gave him a 5th/6th round grade and never thought he'd go before Hundley and Petty. But I don't like to judge drafts until given it at least a season or 2. But right now, our day 2 was pretty blah for me.

Harvenstein = B
Brown = C+
Mannion = F

Hoping they can snag up that CB from Oregon, or I wouldn't even mind La'el in the 4th.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I was never a huge Mannion fan, I think I gave him a 5th/6th round grade and never thought he'd go before Hundley and Petty. But I don't like to judge drafts until given it at least a season or 2. But right now, our day 2 was pretty blah for me.

Harvenstein = B
Brown = C+
Mannion = F

Hoping they can snag up that CB from Oregon, or I wouldn't even mind La'el in the 4th.
It's reported that Collins won't sign with a team after the 3rd rnd. He said he'd wait until the 16 draft.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
It's reported that Collins won't sign with a team after the 3rd rnd. He said he'd wait until the 16 draft.

Yeah I know, but it would still make me feel better. Talk to him, throw a little extra cash at him. Have him start at Center.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

And all 32 teams said no to him. Makes me wonder if there isn't a NFL report indicating that there is more there than is being publically said, even if it's not certain he's guilty. It's just weird that somebody supposedly went to her door looking to borrow her car, and then shot her. That screams somebody trying to identify her before shooting her - i.e. that it's a hit.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I hope he gets his wish and goes undrafted. The more he and his representation speak the less I like him.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
Watching the press conference with Coach and Les Snead...Snead says when evaluating Mannion you should just delete 2014. LOL not really what I wanted to hear.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I just don't see what all the complaining is about. New beef up front, check, new QB who can compete with Davis for back up spot check, exceptional upside RB to push the power run scheme check.

A team with a great defense and power running game, Fisher's forte check.

What else did anyone expect?

Let's at least wait until preseason before you guys slit your wristso_O

In Snisher I trust, that ain't changing this year.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope he gets his wish and goes undrafted. The more he and his representation speak the less I like him.

I hope he's Mr Irrelevant. So he can't sign as a free agent, but rather has to take the tiniest draftee contract. Since he wants to manipulate the draft process, rather than start his career. And it's stupid - since if he's any good he'll get to the big money sooner if he starts in 2015. Instead he wants the big guaranteed signing bonus.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
He got hit every play because Stanford blitzed the crap out of him and he wasn't making quick enough decisions. And when the ball was getting out on time, aside from a few throws, the passes were not properly placed. His footwork was also a disaster in that game and it put his slow release on display.

I've seen QBs have bad games from hits and pressures. I can accept that. It gets in your head after a certain amount of hits. I can accept bad statistical games from it. But when I see a guy play that badly, it really effects my opinion of him. He just had no answer for it. And considering he's in a pro style offense, you'd think it would be his job to call the protections and make sure his guys were ready to pick up the blitz. Yet Oregon State had no idea what to do.

I saw games of other QBs in this class where they got hit a lot and had bad games statistically. What made me like the guys that I like in this class is that they continued to fight, they didn't let their mechanics fall apart, they continued to stand tall, and they made accurate passes for the most part. It will affect you to a degree but they still fought to overcome it. And they did their damnedest to adjust. Mannion didn't.

And that's my problem with him. For a guy with such a high football IQ, I don't feel like he applies on the field the way he should. He doesn't process things quickly or move through his progressions as fast as I'd expect him to. And when he gets pressured and forced off his spot, he struggles. He doesn't handle pressure well. It has a MAJOR effect on his accuracy. He's a spot thrower. And that's a problem in this league. Because teams are going to see that and they're going to do their best not to let you stand on your spot and throw. That's what Stanford's game-plan was. Blitz the hell out of the guy and force him to move around and beat them with quick decisions and accurate throws. He failed.

Stanford runs what I'd call a pro style defense. They have a 3-4 with a lot of exotic looks and they disguise their coverage well. They're a well disciplined team.

I agree with some of what you're saying.

Some of what he needs to correct can and should be corrected with his throwing motion. It's just too long. He needs to shorten it up and he can do that by holding the ball higher and closer to his body. As a big, tall QB, holding it so low creates a long, looping windup and allows for not only a longer release, but a less than accurate release point. That accounts for when balls sail on him a bit.

If this were real estate, he's a nice flipper. He's not a complete gut and restructure, nor is he a tear down. He does have some things to fix, but they are certainly fixable and when those are fixed coupled with his substantial assets, the combination has the potential to yield substantial returns.

I mean, in 2013, he just had better OL play. Which meant he stepped into his throws more. He threw off of his back foot less. In the Stanford game, his footwork was a mess because he was trying to throw over the DL who was trying to bat down everything when they weren't batting HIM down. There were rarely passing lanes. And he couldn't trust his receivers to catch the ball. The drops in that game were atrocious and his receivers had a catch radius of an arthritic centenarian in a body cast. That's not making excuses, it's observation.

What's funny is that the very thing that has me defending Mannion is what has me agreeing more with you on Hundley. I really think that as the 3rd string QB behind Foles and Keenum, Mannion will really be able to learn from Cigs and Weinke as well as Foles and Keenum and in a year or two we'll see a much improved QB. If anything, I think Weinke may be one of if not the best acquisition the team made this offseason. We'll see.