13 Carries....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I just listen to McVay criticize himself for the long pass call on the fumble (press conference). I'm not saying he should run there but, a shorter safer route makes more sense. You can't get a turnover there period. A couple first downs at least to give the defense a rest. The next series the Eagles stuffed the first down run and put the Rams behind the chains. What happen to the screen pass?
Williams had recently come in as well, right? I mean you have to at least give some time to adjust to the game.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Go through the GameDay thread, I was calling for more carries well before that possession. I don't know why y'all are so stuck on this hindsight thing, Gurley's lack of carries has been a topic of discussion for several weeks now. It's a proven fact at this point, the more touches Todd gets the better our chances of winning are.

not saying you haven't been calling for more running plays just saying if you got to call the plays for a game and we lost a close game, there would be a bunch of post saying you should have done this or that differently.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
My biggest criticism of McVay/Goff so far is the infatuation with the "big play".

You cant go up against one of the top ranked pass rushes in the league and not have more safety valve plays drawn up. Or more rushes up the middle to bait the defense to stay home.

Ive seen this flaw repeatedly. Even in games we win. Playing conservative isn't the worst thing in the world considering its a game of inches. And we have arguably the best RB in the league.
Gurley was actually wide open on that play I thought. He just was looking for that long pass, and the unfortunate aspect of it all is that Long was coming from behind with Williams following. My only point is that I don't know how well he saw him.

A screen pass would have been nice.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Didn't read the whole thread but I definitely think they should have run the ball when they had the lead.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Hm, I think the game was called beautifully, Goff got stripped. Defense makes plays, it happens. Sure there are some things I would of done differently, but both Goff and Gurley have been a part of our success offensively. People talk about feeding Gurley, and thats fine. But what happens when we feed him and we have a 4 yard loss in the fourth like we did? Then we have to make our franchise quarterback get all that yardage back. Night train is right, hindsight is 20/20. Todd Gurley is our biggest weapon, but its also imperative to Goff's development to let me handle late game situations.

Defense and running the football wins championships, you won't get an argument out of me regarding that sentiment. But this is the first year for McVay as head coach and technically a first year for Goff. Gurley was running the ball well, but Goff wasn't playing terribly either. 61% passing percentage is pretty okay for a game. He put it in our quarterbacks hand to win, and he was stripped. What would you have said if we handed it off to Gurley and he fumbled? Is it then "He should passed it". I was mad at first at McVay, but my anger was misdirected. He called the game fine. We lost, and I'm not losing sleep over Gurley's carries. He has over 1000 rushing yards, and we use him in passing plays too. We can't use him for everything, christ. We have a receiver that was just complaining about touches 6 weeks ago. Onto the next one...

I think you are right on point with everything but my issue isn't so much with pass or run although there should have been more runs throughout or Gurley touches but rather my issue s with the play call....we thrive on quick quick quick that call takes some time to develop and might have worked had we not had our starting rt on the bench so for that particular game changing play call I just would of wanted a quicker play something like a quick slant or a screen or anything that get goff to hold it less because we were down a right tackle at that time but otherwise yes everyone can be a Monday morning qb lol....McVay did admit though that he has been getting away from Gurley so even he knows that part. Hope we can win this week and get our cushion.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm not looking for praise, I'm looking to have an open discussion about play calling without someone immediately saying, "Well McVay knows football better than you so you have no right to question him."

And I don't care if McVay stood up there and said that he called a perfect game yesterday, I would still have my opinion on Gurley's touches. This is a Rams football forum, if I can't voice my opinions here then what is this place for?
Dude, settle down. Nobody is keeping you from voicing your opinion. And for the record, I never said McVay can't be questioned. I was specifically discussing situational play calling. As in, it's impossible for anyone to be able to say they're better versed in that area given the fact that they know nothing about the *situation* in which a play was called. All they know is that it didn't work, so the better option *would have been* (insert play here). Of course had the play he called actually worked, then there would be no calls for an alternate play (i.e., a run).

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Dude, settle down. Nobody is keeping you from voicing your opinion. And for the record, I never said McVay can't be questioned. I was specifically discussing situational play calling. As in, it's impossible for anyone to be able to say they're better versed in that area given the fact that they know nothing about the *situation* in which a play was called. All they know is that it didn't work, so the better option *would have been* (insert play here). Of course had the play he called actually worked, then there would be no calls for an alternate play (i.e., a run).

So no one can ever suggest different play calls because the exact outcome is unknown.... we're going to agree to disagree on that.