13 Carries....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tempests

Hall of Fame
The Rams weren't really that efficient throwing the football today. Outside of that 64 yard catch and run from Kupp, Goff averaged 5.4 yards per attempt and 9 yards per completion.

With Woods out defenses are clamping down on Watkins. Gurley, Kupp are really the only two making plays in the passing game. They need that veteran, reliable presence back, should open things up for everyone else.

McVay still needs to be willing to run the ball earlier in the game and stick with it when it's working. He did that earlier in the season but has gotten away from it.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
13 freaking carries for Gurley today. That is nonsense! McVay continues to get way too cute on offense, especially when we're ahead. He continually under-uses Todd in the running game and Gurley was gashing the Eagles defense today.

This has happened in several games and has been happening more and more lately. I don't care if Goff develops into Aaron Rodgers, Gurley might be the best RB in the NFL and he needs 20 carries in games like this. The play action game doesn't work when you never run the damn ball.

I agree 1 million percent I do not want to bash or be doom and gloom on McVay after all he has done but it's a bit mike martzish... We were gashing a very good eagle run def with big chunks and only rushed Gurley 13 times???? Our def needs to rest not running not moving the chains and of course dumbness factor and some questionable calls its a wonder we were even in the damn game. You can't get pass happy. I usually disconnect myself from all football if the Rams lose which I did but I'm still fuming at almost 12am eastern Time I'm so angry and sad we let this slip. This team can beat any of these nfc so called powerhouses Vikings are the scariest and only cause of that dome. Rams at least have a shot but cannot be pass happy. I love the bomb and big pass chunks but there is a time and place for it. Yes Goff held the ball to long on that crippling strip sack but in your territory mid 4th quarter young qb and your right tackle was not in that play call something else slant screen anything quick quick quick ....bad play call that cost us the game despite all the other crap. Also the fans at the stadium for the Rams that's a total embarrassment I hope with the new stadium fans will come but even when good half the crowd eagle fans ...freakin PA!!!!!! Buffalo fans sat in a god damn blizzard today cheering on a blah mediocre team and you can't fill up a stadium with la fans in a picturesque 82 degree day for the game of the week??????? Shame a total travesty!!!! Oh and one other thing yes run the ball but if you don't run early in games and you are gashing them with the little you are running it you can't expect to run it at the end to eat clock when now the opposing def knows so not doing it from the start dictates the rest of the game so that has to change. Seems like we overthinking it.

Ellard80

Legend
Tru got screwed over the entire game.

His pi call was borderline.. but I watched it a few times. In real speed it looks like interference.

The taunting call was a horrible mistake by him.. sure the ref doesnt HAVE to call it, but there were 3 refs sitting right there... The odds are not in your favor.

Dumb mistakes are dumb mistakes, I'd rather not make excuses for dumb mistakes.

That's Fisher ball at its finest.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
His pi call was borderline.. but I watched it a few times. In real speed it looks like interference.

The taunting call was a horrible mistake by him.. sure the ref doesnt HAVE to call it, but there were 3 refs sitting right there... The odds are not in your favor.

Dumb mistakes are dumb mistakes, I'd rather not make excuses for dumb mistakes.

That's Fisher ball at its finest.

There should never be interference on an underthrown ball where the DB gets his head around and bats it down. The exceptions to that are the DB shoving the WR to the ground before doing so or tackling him before doing so. It's absolute horseshit to call PI in that situation. Johnson was hand-fighting with Jeffery and then played the ball in the air. He had position. Fuck any assbag ref who calls that. DBs are already screwed enough on those underthrown passes.

The taunting call is a joke. It should never be called in a game where you haven't had issues with fighting or an extracurricular after the play. The refs need to stay the fuck out of the game.

KayJay

Starter
Hm, I think the game was called beautifully, Goff got stripped. Defense makes plays, it happens. Sure there are some things I would of done differently, but both Goff and Gurley have been a part of our success offensively. People talk about feeding Gurley, and thats fine. But what happens when we feed him and we have a 4 yard loss in the fourth like we did? Then we have to make our franchise quarterback get all that yardage back. Night train is right, hindsight is 20/20. Todd Gurley is our biggest weapon, but its also imperative to Goff's development to let me handle late game situations.

Defense and running the football wins championships, you won't get an argument out of me regarding that sentiment. But this is the first year for McVay as head coach and technically a first year for Goff. Gurley was running the ball well, but Goff wasn't playing terribly either. 61% passing percentage is pretty okay for a game. He put it in our quarterbacks hand to win, and he was stripped. What would you have said if we handed it off to Gurley and he fumbled? Is it then "He should passed it". I was mad at first at McVay, but my anger was misdirected. He called the game fine. We lost, and I'm not losing sleep over Gurley's carries. He has over 1000 rushing yards, and we use him in passing plays too. We can't use him for everything, christ. We have a receiver that was just complaining about touches 6 weeks ago. Onto the next one...

Zero

Pro Bowler
But there are times where it would be nice if we wouldn't go away from the run so quickly.
You mean like when your running back is ripping off 7.4 yds a pop and the opposing team has to use their backup?

If we had Havenstein at RT, I'd be fine with the play-call
Not I.
The odds of Phili driving 80 yds were low to say the least.You saw the Dline pinning their ears back
The second Foles was under center and they were causing him serious problems
They didn't have to worry about keeping lanes,the way they had to with Wentz.
I would have rather not seen any seven step drops on that drive.
I'm not saying we had to be super conservative,but I would have rather us
keep it a bit closer to vest.

Zero

Pro Bowler
I'd bet my bank that if he ran too much, people would tick and moan that he didn't throw enough.
Granted I have not read every post-game post on ROD,but I don't see what were doing here as
pissing and moaning.
I see it as a bunch of Ram football heads talking about what we wish our team would have done differently
to change the outcome,all the while ,working out some frustration and disappointment of losing.
Is it gonna change the outcome?Nope
But it does make me feel better,Talking over the game like a bunch of old farts
sitting in a barber shop somewhere.

Don't think there's any ill intentions here, Me personally I love the hell out of our guy.
I think we've hit the freakin HC lottery
Doesn't mean I gotta agree with everything he does.Ain't no fun in that.

LA_vision

Hall of Fame
Anyone else think maybe McVay is trying to keep Gurley fresh for a playoff run. It would be so easy for most coaches to just hand it over 30+ times and run him into the ground.

Throughout the year he's been used as a dual threat and I personally like him more in that dynamic and catching it in open spaces rather than just being a bruiser (600 yds recievers already). That's why I'm not so concerned with just seeing his carry numbers. So maybe he could of seen a bit more carries, but he was also getting stuffed after that 2nd TD.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Anyone else think maybe McVay is trying to keep Gurley fresh for a playoff run. It would be so easy for most coaches to just hand it over 30+ times and run him into the ground.

Throughout the year he's been used as a dual threat and I personally like him more in that dynamic and catching it in open spaces rather than just being a bruiser (600 yds recievers already). That's why I'm not so concerned with just seeing his carry numbers. So maybe he could of seen a bit more carries, but he was also getting stuffed after that 2nd TD.

All I know is this game against the Seahawks is an absolute must-win. Gurley better get 25 touches.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Congrats?

I'm not looking for praise, I'm looking to have an open discussion about play calling without someone immediately saying, "Well McVay knows football better than you so you have no right to question him."

And I don't care if McVay stood up there and said that he called a perfect game yesterday, I would still have my opinion on Gurley's touches. This is a Rams football forum, if I can't voice my opinions here then what is this place for?

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
The #1 complaint with him in Washington was that he would get too pass-happy and forget about the run. Goff was getting pressured and almost was strip-sacked more than once today before Long got to him. A consistent running game helps that.

I wonder what the post would look like today if we had run the ball 3 times on that possession and failed to get a first down. I bet there would be a lot of post complaining about going to conservative. hind sight is rarely wrong.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
I wonder what the post would look like today if we had run the ball 3 times on that possession and failed to get a first down. I bet there would be a lot of post complaining about going to conservative. hind sight is rarely wrong.

Go through the GameDay thread, I was calling for more carries well before that possession. I don't know why y'all are so stuck on this hindsight thing, Gurley's lack of carries has been a topic of discussion for several weeks now. It's a proven fact at this point, the more touches Todd gets the better our chances of winning are.

Even so, when you have arguably the best RB in the NFL and he's averaging 7.4 YPC you need to run him more than 13 times.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Ive seen this flaw repeatedly. Even in games we win. Playing conservative isn't the worst thing in the world considering its a game of inches. And we have arguably the best RB in the league

we had 5 years of conservative how did that work out for us. may be the reason gurley is having a vary good year is because we pass a lot. remember last year gurleys bad year was blamed on not having a passing attack.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Too soon...I am still sick about the lost opportunity vs the Eagles...See you guys in a few days.