You’ve got to see Rams Joseph Noteboom to believe him

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
How so? When he was an OT it's not like he was a stud then, until he found his calling as a guard. Took a few years to get to that level too since he had his pec and both shoulders operated. All while operating under a coaching staffs who's best single season was 8-8. People were calling for him to be cut because he "couldn't be relied upon to stay healthy". Whatever the hell that means.

Joe gets a freak injury after 6 total games and people want to bench him or draft his replacement. He should get a chance to play more than 6 games, and let a coaching staff that assembled a roster whose worst season is 9-7 so far develop him.
It's not as though he had a couple of rookie hick ups.
His play was genuinely poor.
I hope he can pull it together at Guard. I'm sure we all do. Our offense depends on it.
Goff getting his ass kicked behind that line another year is something no Rams fan wants to see.

I'm holding my breath, hoping these guys up front can gell and play as a solid unit.
Until I actually see it, I will have my doubts.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Unfortunately people remember 2018 and their memory of each year prior is tinted with rose colored glasses. A lot of those supporting him now I seem to remember weren't too happy when the Raiders failed him physically and we signed him for virtually the same money.

I remember wanting us to cut him after 2016 when he made a snide comment at the end of the season. Now, granted it wasn't because he sucked, but I was okay with us cutting him for his attitude because he was an average OG at that point. I'm glad we didn't in hindsight because of how his play took off in 2017 and 2018.

EDIT: Just look and see what we were saying about him after 2016:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
He can play well at Guard this year and still be better at tackle, that's not bad either :)

That will work for me. It would be great if he could do well at guard and get some experience playing, he'd be more ready to take over at OT when Whit retires. As a bonus, we have Edwards and Evans as quality depth now, both of whom picked up invaluable experience last year.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
That will work for me. It would be great if he could do well at guard and get some experience playing, he'd be more ready to take over at OT when Whit retires. As a bonus, we have Edwards and Evans as quality depth now, both of whom picked up invaluable experience last year.

Yep!! Don’t understand on the Hate for Kromer,also the negative on Noteboom starting at LG!

Depth is so much better than last season.Corbett over Blythe at RG.Blythe over Allen at Center.
Rob Havenstein looks in better shape than in 2019.
Like you said about Edwards & Evens as well getting all that starting experience at 22 years of age.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I remember wanting us to cut him after 2016 when he made a snide comment at the end of the season. Now, granted it wasn't because he sucked, but I was okay with us cutting him for his attitude because he was an average OG at that point. I'm glad we didn't in hindsight because of how his play took off in 2017 and 2018.

EDIT: Just look and see what we were saying about him after 2016:

I remember what I was saying back then. Kromer came in and took care of that.

I keep RECALLING my visit to The Rams scrimmage.Do The Rams have another one this season against the Chargers in 2020 at SOFI.

My point was how Goff went to Whitworth & Sullivan after the first series.Saffold got burned by Engram & I was all over his crap. He came off the field & kneeled by himself with helmet off. JMon Brown & Havenstien were on the other side of him.
Anyway - My story goes that is when the Big 5 became created. Whitworth & Sullivan showed Saffold what leadership was about. Brown made it through the season as part of the Big 5. - Goff has shown leadership all the way through right in front of Roger Saffold. He was right as of NOW!

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Can't speak for others but for myself it's because he had to rehab and come off a major surgery while still needing to get stronger. I've said about ten times in the past few days that maybe he'll pull it off. So yeah I'm concerned, at least enough to want to discuss it.

Well personally I don't worry about that stuff. NFL injuries like this are common and these days more players can recover from them than not. We've seen players come from ACLs, Achilles's, torn quads, groins, pecs...whatever.

And by the way it doesn't bother me that you want to put your trust in the staff vs the fans. Knock yourself out. There's just no reason to say "let them compete and that's the end of all discussion." If some of us want to discuss concerns why does it bother you so much? You might want to consider that.

Dude. It's just my viewpoint on the matter, and it's the first I've really spoken about it in quite some time. So no it doesn't bother me, and I'll voice my opinion even though it goes against the internet grain. Definitely not the first time that's happened.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Isn't disagreeing with your take and stating that he doesn't understand you or didn't think you feel the way you do... Isn't that having the discussion? I mean, you've stated your case, he's stated his, and now you both dig into the finer points of what was said and counter each other's arguments. That sounds like discussion to me.
Yeah you are correct and I'm not exactly proud of my posts yesterday. I was in a shit mood and let it spill over to the board. So @OldSchool in particular but also @Angry Ram no hard feelings dudes, I could have handled both those conversations better. :beer2:

We are of course in the same boat here, i.e. hoping that Kromer's plan works out.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
He's being asked to play out of his natural position, and is coming back from a bad ACL + MCL tear. It's surprising to me that some people question the concern regarding him starting. Especially when the o-line was the cause of the teams downfall last year.
Playing next to Brian Allen would make an All-Pro look bad.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah you are correct and I'm not exactly proud of my posts yesterday. I was in a shit mood and let it spill over to the board. So @OldSchool in particular but also @Angry Ram no hard feelings dudes, I could have handled both those conversations better. :beer2:

We are of course in the same boat here, i.e. hoping that Kromer's plan works out.
I got nothing but love for ya my brother. You know me well enough by now that I laugh at things and very very rarely get angry.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Playing next to Brian Allen would make an All-Pro look bad.
With Jeremiah Kolone now in his 3rd TC ,working his way up to the 2nd team center position behind Blythe over the other 3 centers Brian Allen, Coleman Shelton & Cohl Cabral was a big surprise. Seen any positive reports on Brian Allen thus far this TC? Fact is here ....have we heard any positive lines or statements on the other 2 mentioned centers above either?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
With Noteboom moving to the interior starting OG position has opened up a vacancy or vacancies @ OT for a couple of OL'ers to fill.

Appears that Kromer utilized Bobby Evans, Jamil Demby & David Edwards filled that hole in that SoFi Stadium playing event. Appears that Bobby Evans is getting the majority of his time in TC as an exterior OL'er.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
With Jeremiah Kolone now in his 3rd TC ,working his way up to the 2nd team center position behind Blythe over the other 3 centers Brian Allen, Coleman Shelton & Cohl Cabral was a big surprise. Seen any positive reports on Brian Allen thus far this TC? Fact is here ....have we heard any positive lines or statements on the other 2 mentioned centers above either?
That could be good news, Jeremiah Kolone is packing some bulkiness-beef, 6-3 320 lbs. And Samoans have great physical natural strength.

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Was Saffold so all world that we went from a top 5 line to atrocious?
No he wasn't. I've been using this argument for a year now. it doesn't add up for me either. We did lose a lot of physicality, experience there but Saffold didn't single handedly elevate nor destroy the OLine.

Scheme scheme scheme. Evolve. Merlin's point about our line becoming somewhat soft in the run game is valid and i too have my concerns over the line getting dominant push, but IMO it's up to McV and his coaches to find different ways to establish the run besides the same old play action we've seen ad nauseum.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame

I want really trying to call you out, so I apologize if that's how it came across. I was really curious what people wanted in those situations. But as long as everybody is cool I guess that's a good outcome.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

All good!

giphy.gif

oldnotdead

Legend
It was clear to me that Noteboom was not ready to play LG especially when he'd only played OT his whole career. He started one game in 2018 and it was at LT where he played very well. But if someone thinks it's a simple transition from LT to LG they don't understand the techniques involved playing each position. He struggled badly before his injury that much is plain to anyone who cares to look at it.

It's Kromer's job to ensure all his position players are ready to play. If there is any doubt at all then you simply don't play him or you adjust the offense accordingly. If they intend to keep him at LG which I don't believe is the case, it would be a waste of a player with the length, and especially the feet to play LT.

If Kromer's plan is to season Noteboom at LG before playing him at LT then IMO it's a silly plan. It's not like the Rams don't have options. Keep Corbett at LG and play Evans at RG where he belongs. Evans simply doesn't have the feet to play OT in the NFL. That said his physical metrics all but scream OG. At RG his slower feet are protected not exposed. Allow Noteboom to simply back up and be mentored by Whitworth. IMO that would help Noteboom a lot more than learning to play OG when he was drafted to play LT then suddenly move him back to LT.

Kromer's constant shuffling of players around only means they will be doing this again next year or the year after. Why? Play players to their strengths, protect their weaknesses, and allow them to master their position before you start shuffling them around. Most o-linemen don't begin to play up to their potential until their 3rd year. Shuffling them around only prolongs that time. O-line careers are short with the average career length of between 3-5 years. Why do something that will retard their development? With the mandate which will increase the o-line roster to 9, there is even less reason to do it.

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
He is too tall for a guard. His legs are more susceptible to injury on the inside.

I hope they do not use him at guard.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
No he wasn't. I've been using this argument for a year now. it doesn't add up for me either. We did lose a lot of physicality, experience there but Saffold didn't single handedly elevate nor destroy the OLine.

Scheme scheme scheme. Evolve. Merlin's point about our line becoming somewhat soft in the run game is valid and i too have my concerns over the line getting dominant push, but IMO it's up to McV and his coaches to find different ways to establish the run besides the same old play action we've seen ad nauseum.
It's combination of Saffold and Sullivan. Both of them were great in the run game. We can find plays of each player where they blocked their initial guy and moved and blocked someone else on the 2nd or 3rd level. We didn't see that kind of blocking last year.