Your thoughts on Noteboom

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
He was clearly not a guard. No idea why they tried him there. He’s currently playing at a high level. He doesn’t give up many pressures and keeps getting better as a run blocker. If he stays healthy, we are set at LT for a long time.

He is better than some think,especially if you put him at the Guard position now. Don’t be surprised if you see him there again.Depth is huge & just enjoying the game by game right now.

3 more games & possibly another 4? Still need to take care of business.Having Noteboom on the bench is a tough call,because of how well he is playing.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I love having him on the team, but honestly I see him doing just that.

Gurantee with his wife he’s expressed this is the closest he’s ever gotten is being on this team, with this personal, with this Coaching staff. That’s why he’s busting ass to come back is to get through the playoffs and win a SB!

That’s the hope,the question is about his future after the season.

I wonder about his contract & will.I believe he has another season left
which would give The Rams a hand up on Noteboom’s contract.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

This is the noteboom we thought we would see after his rookie year.

Unfortunately we had to sift through one and a half seasons of him playing at guard before he returned to his rightful position.

A must keep for the Rams.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
@TexasRam said it best. He isn't great in pass blocking but slows his guy down long enough. I don't expect you'll see any Orlando Pace pancakes as a regular feature of his game. I do think the Patriots were given him more of a challenge than he's had up to that point.

He's bad in the run game. I don't candy coat it. He can't hold his initial block and is too easily avoided. His blocking by in space is non existent a majority of the time. He rarely finds and engages the player he is targeting and often seems off balance. The combo blocks with Edwards, who has been playing very well, have been working. But it'd be nicer if they didn't have to scheme to his weakness in the running game.

I don't understand how these problems have not be fixed, unless he simply lacks strength and balance, which I consider the two as functional strength. And if he can move laterally well enough in pass pro, I'd expect moving forward to be even easier. He had the same troubles in college though. Its why he was available after the first two rounds. It is what it is I guess. At this point I wonder how much his run blocking can improve. I certainly hope it does.

It be great to think Noteboom was the left tackle of the future but, he's like a Blythe. He's got some good and enough bad to make me wish they could find an upgrade. It will be interesting to see what he get's in free agency.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

This is the noteboom we thought we would see after his rookie year.

Unfortunately we had to sift through one and a half seasons of him playing at guard before he returned to his rightful position.

A must keep for the Rams.

I’ll say having Saffold was awesome next to Whitworth & Sullivan.

Noteboom was with Demby & Jamil was in over his head.Playing the offensive line is A MAN Position.

The rule in the NFL was back in was the Hardest position as a rookie to learn other than QB was LT.

First time playing next to Allen without playing preseason hurt.His injury & just jumping in again also didn’t help the 2nd time.

Edwards took awhile to learn.When he was LG I think his play was bad,then at RG he really improved.The switch of Corbett to RG never made sense to me.Then seeing Noteboom at LG even more of a surprise.

This week Bobby Evans is out S the backup LG.He came in when Noteboom took LT spot & Edwards missed a couple plays.

It will be interesting watching the Depth chart,especially when Whitworth comes back.

TexasRam

Legend
He's already starting. And we haven't heard anything about Noteboom for several weeks now. He is definitely a quality, starting NFL left tackle. We are all set when Whitworth retires. Unfortunately... it may cost them. The Rams might be better off signing him before next season to a reasonable 4 year deal like Havenstein's deal or Whitworth's. JMHO.
Greg Robinson was also starting. That didn't make him starter level.

Noteboom has to improve his run blocking to get to starter level in my book.

His pass blocking is serviceable but his run blocking is not up to par.

At this stage he's very easy to disengage from, but he is improving some and might get there. I'm rooting for him.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
@TexasRam said it best. He isn't great in pass blocking but slows his guy down long enough. I don't expect you'll see any Orlando Pace pancakes as a regular feature of his game. I do think the Patriots were given him more of a challenge than he's had up to that point.

He's bad in the run game. I don't candy coat it. He can't hold his initial block and is too easily avoided. His blocking by in space is non existent a majority of the time. He rarely finds and engages the player he is targeting and often seems off balance. The combo blocks with Edwards, who has been playing very well, have been working. But it'd be nicer if they didn't have to scheme to his weakness in the running game.

I don't understand how these problems have not be fixed, unless he simply lacks strength and balance, which I consider the two as functional strength. And if he can move laterally well enough in pass pro, I'd expect moving forward to be even easier. He had the same troubles in college though. Its why he was available after the first two rounds. It is what it is I guess. At this point I wonder how much his run blocking can improve. I certainly hope it does.

It be great to think Noteboom was the left tackle of the future but, he's like a Blythe. He's got some good and enough bad to make me wish they could find an upgrade. It will be interesting to see what he get's in free agency.

I tend to see Boom in the same way you do. He really needs to improve his core strength. It's better than his rookie year but I expected a bit more. His awareness has improved with live LT reps but an offseason there could do wonders. He has good enough tools if he develops his core like Saffold did. Maybe he doesn't have that kind of fire? I'm not sure yet. I'm not in the weight room with him.

Last edited:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Count me in the group that likes Boom as our LOT.

His pass blocking is already pretty damned effective and his run blocking is coming along. Any objective reviews of his run blocking shows improvement from game to game.

There’s no shame in his inability to take the starter job away from Whit. Few veteran LOTs could, much less a young player not getting game snaps. Had Whit struggled in ‘18 or ‘19, Boom would have been given invaluable snaps and game experience. Who knows how good he would have become by now?

We are very, very fortunate to have Boom on this team and I see him as a quality starter once Whit retires.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Let's me travel back in space & time..... try to recall some of the OL'ers who have been listed as reserve OT's & may have lined up as starters or took snaps @ LT in the Rams past..... Alex Barron, Adam Goldberg, Rodger Saffold, Thomas Welch, Drew Miller, Mark Levoir, Chris Williams, Jake Long, Greg Robinson, Darrell Williams, Pace Murphy, Chandler Brewer to name a few. LT Joseph Noteboom sure appears to be a much better reserve LT & starting LT than most listed above.

It's my belief that JN is a smart OL'er. This late-season JN has now received a large number of snaps @ LT than any other time in his short 3 yr NFL career to now know what he needs to do to be a good starting LT in the NFL. Yes JN is short on his overall core power & is a #1 need for improvement. Most likely due to that real damaging injury to that knee last season that is now over a year behind him.

I strongly maintain JN needs to continue to get all the snaps possible when AW returns too. Meaning I would advocate a duo teaming of the LT post for the rest of this 2020 season. Rams need to be fully prepared if AW does retire.

Rams need to prioritize the securing of a very good future starting LT (for Goff) from this point on. If JN is not what is needed after continuing to take part in snaps @ LT through-out the playoffs they MUST go get a future starting LT for 2022 & beyond. I do not think that will be necessary because JN can be the future replacement for AW @ starting LT for Goff.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
A lot better at tackle than guard it seems. He is not AW77, but, who is?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Let's me travel back in space & time..... try to recall some of the OL'ers who have been listed as reserve OT's & may have lined up as starters or took snaps @ LT in the Rams past..... Alex Barron, Adam Goldberg, Rodger Saffold, Thomas Welch, Drew Miller, Mark Levoir, Chris Williams, Jake Long, Greg Robinson, Darrell Williams, Pace Murphy, Chandler Brewer to name a few. LT Joseph Noteboom sure appears to be a much better reserve LT & starting LT than most listed above.

It's my belief that JN is a smart OL'er. This late-season JN has now received a large number of snaps @ LT than any other time in his short 3 yr NFL career to now know what he needs to do to be a good starting LT in the NFL. Yes JN is short on his overall core power & is a #1 need for improvement. Most likely due to that real damaging injury to that knee last season that is now over a year behind him.

I strongly maintain JN needs to continue to get all the snaps possible when AW returns too. Meaning I would advocate a duo teaming of the LT post for the rest of this 2020 season. Rams need to be fully prepared if AW does retire.

Rams need to prioritize the securing of a very good future starting LT (for Goff) from this point on. If JN is not what is needed after continuing to take part in snaps @ LT through-out the playoffs they MUST go get a future starting LT for 2022 & beyond. I do not think that will be necessary because JN can be the future replacement for AW @ starting LT for Goff.

In due respect, I disagree on a lot of what your saying.Looking back just makes me appreciate Joe Noteboom more.
He ain’t your average Joe.Inthinknhe is The Best Rams Offensive Lineman Les Snead has ever drafted as a Ram. Time will tell,but Rob Havenstien has been good.Edwards is The best from Rookie to present time of any careers.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I tend to see Boom in the same way you do. He really needs to improve his core strength. It's better than his rookie year but I expected a bit more. His awareness has improved with live LT reps but an offseason there could do wonders. He has good enough tools if he develops his core like Saffold did. Maybe he doesn't have that kind of fire? I'm not sure yet. I'm not in the weight room with him.

I sort of laugh about an offseason.Then again The Rams(NFL)
not having an offseason might have been the Best thing for him in 2020.

Saffold- lol. History will show the difference,but as a long time fan I look back and shake my head at comments.

I know I have made some as well,especially about Roger Saffold.The comparison is interesting
if anyone wants to take a stab.

Growth is growth,but I will say Joe Noteboom is plenty STRONG enough at LT.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Greg Robinson was also starting. That didn't make him starter level.

Noteboom has to improve his run blocking to get to starter level in my book.

His pass blocking is serviceable but his run blocking is not up to par.

At this stage he's very easy to disengage from, but he is improving some and might get there. I'm rooting for him.

This comparison really makes me laugh.I think I need to go buy 300#’s of weed. It’s worth more than Greg Robinson ever was.
Talk about a JOKE!!! Thank GOD for AARON DONALD.That Auburn Herb McSnisher were smoking really can mess up your mind.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
If the Rams win the SB... does Whitworth call it a career?
The fact that he is having one of his best years statistically shows the effort he's putting into his game.

I'm not sure if that's because he's still extremely fired up about playing or he knows that he is towards the end of his career or he wants that Super Bowl.

It could be all three reasons.

nighttrain

Legend
The fact that he is having one of his best years statistically shows the effort he's putting into his game.

I'm not sure if that's because he's still extremely fired up about playing or he knows that he is towards the end of his career or he wants that Super Bowl.

It could be all three reasons.
all three

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Can we make a pact right now to never mention Greg Robinson again?

I literally get a knot in my stomach when I hear that name.

I also find the whole idea of him being a Ram much easier to deal with if I just blame it all on Boudreau. ;)

jjab360

Legend
Haven't even noticed him since taking over for Whitworth. Which is about the biggest compliment you can give a LT.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
all three

I’d say if you look Clowney,Bosa,& Jones in 2019 had something to do with his play.

I’ll add playing next to Noteboom next to him & not having John Sullivan (Allen) at Center.

Third I say playing injured had a lot to do with it again.

I knew his last game against Jones that Whitworth was coming back.He had a cheap 2nd holding call & was all fired up telling the Ref about it.There was no way he was retiring.He was playing at a PLAYOFF level.

—As I said before against the NINERS when The Rams had them beat.Tyler Rapp & RAMsey got caught at the line on a 3 & 19. Then again Blythe & Whitworth were playing hurt.

I believe this Offense should be playing so much better & LOSSING twice to a BANGED up NINERS team should never have happened.

Again moving Forward all of this only makes The Rams BETTER. It’s about momentum going into the playoffs.