Your take on the Giants selection of Daniel Jones?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Bottom line is as a GM, regardless of the position the player plays, if you've identified a player you like go get him. It doesn't matter if it's with the 7th pick in the draft or the 70th. Giant fans are going nuts but that's normal for most fan bases. Everybody in the seats is a better scout than the paid professionals.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
I thought Dexter Lawrence was a strange pick at #17. Why trade Snacks Harrison for a 5th in the offseason and then use a first for the same type of player.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought Dexter Lawrence was a strange pick at #17. Why trade Snacks Harrison for a 5th in the offseason and then use a first for the same type of player.

and unfortunately for him will always be compared to obj since that was the pick they got for him.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Someone on the radio was talking about the Cutcliffe angle. Don't know if it was in any of the above linked articles. Cutcliffe was Jones' coach and also coached Eli and Peyton. I guess the Mannings are still close with Coach Cut -- the QB-prospect-friend of our friend is our friend?? or not . . .

Looking further, y'know it couldn't hurt to try to grease the skids a bit on easing Eli out of the league. I mean it's not easy following the legend (yeah, a stretch for Eli, but play along). Rodgers-Favre weren't all that happy together and i've never heard anything nice between Young and Montana. If the Giants got Jones because they thought he was good but also because they thought he was the one good QB prospect that Eli wouldn't be an A-hole to, that might be part of a sound (or, not a totally weak?) drafting strategy.

This won’t be the first time Jones has had the opportunity to work with Manning. Both Eli and his older brother Peyton have made frequent trips to Duke to work out with Cutliffe during the offseason.
“We certainly did watch a whole lot,” Jones said. “It was cool going to Duke and being with Coach Cut and being able to hear those stories from when Eli and Peyton were in similar positions to me.

“Whether it was my first year there, second year, whenever it was just hearing those stories and being able to learn from some of those experiences was an awesome perspective for me and certainly a great situation.”
https://nsjonline.com/article/2019/...e-manning-led-to-giants-pick-of-daniel-jones/

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRWGidu_GHI

But yeah, I'm hoping it all blows up just because they're another NFC team.

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I don't watch college ball but all the talking heads say he was pretty bad in college.

It's not to often that a QB learns how to read defenses in the NFL, and becomes a more accurate passer.

But it's the Giants so I will channel my inner @Selassie I and say.......FUCK THE GIANTS.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
They apparently believed that they had to take him there or someone else (they claim to know of 2 teams) was going to before their next pick.

If you believe in a player... don't take a chance... get his ass on your team asap. Especially a QB.

I hope their pick makes them out to be idiots... but we'll ALL have to wait and see.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he was their guy, then pick him at 6 and don't take chances.
Giants taking a lot of heat because of all the blow hard media types in NYC.
Had they traded back or waited until 17 and Jones got drafted before them, that would have been really bad.
Gettelman is just such a jack hash and cant keep his effing mouth shut, he makes things so much worse

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
Never understood the mentality of I know better than you that us fans exhibit.....as Ram fans for all of the horrible years we should know better.

I will agree with some of you....he didn't exactly look stellar in his college career, but that immediately begs to be asked......."How many other can't miss college players became busts"?

Stating we some how know that Haskins will be better than Jones makes us sound like everyone who bashed Goff before he even had a chance to get things lined up.

The most important thing in my mind to the NFL draft is getting a player who lines up with the team. The best player may look like crap on some teams..............example: The easiest way to have ruined Tom Brady as a QB would have been to see him drafted by the Rams, Bengals or Browns during that time.

dang

Legend
I will be gentle. I find Gettleman to be lost as a GM. If he has a plan he isn’t able to articulate it or convince anyone of it. Poor planning + Poor communication = Poor leadership.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

17 does seem high for Lawrence but aside from that I expect him to have a great career (he'll be a Pro Bowl player IMO) so I doubt that pick is the one Gettleman gets roasted for. Their draft overall was damn good tbh. Yeah they reached for a QB, but that's because they chose to go with the RB last year instead of solving the most important position. At some point they have to find that QB or nothing else they do matters, so it is what it is.

Said during last year's draft that the Giants were going to regret passing on QB. Still believe it, and this is simply one of those early fallout type indicators of that decision.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
17 does seem high for Lawrence but aside from that I expect him to have a great career (he'll be a Pro Bowl player IMO) so I doubt that pick is the one Gettleman gets roasted for. Their draft overall was damn good tbh. Yeah they reached for a QB, but that's because they chose to go with the RB last year instead of solving the most important position. At some point they have to find that QB or nothing else they do matters, so it is what it is.

Said during last year's draft that the Giants were going to regret passing on QB. Still believe it, and this is simply one of those early fallout type indicators of that decision.
I am not saying Lawrence is a bad pick insolation. They traded away a prow bowl NT to draft a potential pro bowl NT. I don't buy the financial aspect as getting rid of the underperforming Jenkins would have saved more money.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
As most of you know my trophy bride of 25 years my extraordinary wife (Val) is a Giant fan and I consider he football savvy exceptional and is one of the reasons she shares my surname and living in New York I have a good feel for the New York Football Giants. (BTW, for you younger guys, they say "Football" Giants because before the San Francisco Giants moved to San Fran, they were the New York Giants.)

As to Daniel Jones I knew the Giants were going to draft him, that was their guy all along because of David Cutcliffe coaching him and the fact Jones was very much like the Manning's. Their GM Dave Gettleman IMO is making all the wrong moves and he and Pat Shurmur will be gone after two more years because they waited too long to move on from Eli Manning and I believe drafted the wrong man(n) to replace him.

All the positives you hear about Daniel Jones are not related to his throwing of the football. Good Pocket awareness, good athlete that can move the chains with his feet. Jones is not accurate and does not have a big arm, but he's tall, so there is that. I also want to post that I'm biased because I'm a Buckeye and felt Dwayne Haskins would have been a much better pick, but the Giants like their Quarterbacks a certain way and maybe Haskins did not fit their mold.

Some of tried to compare Jones to Phil Simms, when many scuffed with the Giants made Simms the number one pick from Morehead State, but that was back in 1978 and things were much different. Daniel Jones reminds me more of another Duke alum the Giants drafted number one in the supplemental draft in Dave Brown and everyone knows how that worked out.

Overall the back of the New York Post Headline Read (THE NEW MANN) emphasizing Man and Manning, however, I believe the post blew it because my Headline would have been the following after Gettleman's latest gaffe:

ME AND MRS. JONES!
gettleman.jones_.jpg
I prefer your own play on words :)

I take it that your wife is unhappy with the pick?

That pill can't be too bitter relative to her observations of your own frustration over prior Ram's selections.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Reach, but if hes your "guy" you have to draft him .

The runs he had against unc were insane , guys alot more athletic than I thought . Giants have some good weapons on offense, they honestly might be ok going forward

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It may be a bit of a reach but I think he'll be a pretty good QB - especially if he's able to sit a half season or more.

I don't think they're thinking post season anyway.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
NFL teams have to have a good QB. If Jones was their guy, then why risk losing him? Every time I watch Seattle I think to myself, how nice it would have been to have Wagner on the team all of these years, and not in Seattle. The media thinks they know it all and are often wrong. Clellin Ferrell is an example of that. Ben Benschwazel is another. . Snead thought he knew where Wagner would go and was wrong. There is no exact science to rating prospects. If there was then there would be no bad picks.

When it comes to QBs, a GM gets a Milligan because that is the one position that is forgivable because desperation forces the hand of any GM without a QB.

(For you Haskins guys.....Haskins may be the better passer, but he has below average mobility and struggled under pressure. Might as well trade for Sean Mannion)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I am not saying Lawrence is a bad pick insolation. They traded away a prow bowl NT to draft a potential pro bowl NT. I don't buy the financial aspect as getting rid of the underperforming Jenkins would have saved more money.

I think it was a legit approach to reduce cost at a position they knew was enormously strong in the draft. Point is that the media is lighting Gettleman when his real mistake was last year. They have a great RB, but for how long and now they gotta take a higher risk (IMO) QB and hope he can develop into their guy.

Just think this year's draft is pretty good though, even with the QB reach, because they restocked a good amount of the roster.

Gettleman has a good feel for a lot of positions and tends to favor size and power at many of them. He's always been like that and the Giants knew that when they brought him in.