Your take on the Giants selection of Daniel Jones?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
They are sort of going a little bonkers over at Big Blue Wrecking Crew:

http://bbwc.com/thread/3133/round-pick-daniel-jones-duke?page=1

Giants' Insider Info - The REAL Story About Daniel Jones...
http://bbwc.com/thread/3220/giants-insider-story-daniel-jones

Report: Giants feared Denver or Washington would take Daniel Jones
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...denver-or-washington-would-take-daniel-jones/

Giants G.M. Dave Gettleman has defended the decision to use his first of two first-round picks on quarterback Daniel Jones by insisting that two other teams would have drafted Jones, if the Giants had tried to wait until pick No. 17. But Gettleman didn’t publicly identify the teams.

Privately, Gettleman or someone else from the Giants told Ralph Vacchiano of SNY the two teams. They are Denver and Washington.

The Broncos held the 10th overall pick, and Washington had pick No. 15.

Of course, either team could have moved up to No. 5 or higher to get Jones, given that the Giants didn’t do much to hide the fact that they wanted Jones. If they hadn’t felt compelled to float a trial balloon and/or get the fan base and media comfortable with the idea of what otherwise would have felt like an even bigger reach, maybe the Giants could have waited until pick No. 17.

Regardless, the Giants took Jones. Whether they used pick No. 6 or pick No. 17 or anything in between, all that matters at this point is whether he performs at an acceptable level. If he does, the pick becomes justified. If he doesn’t, the Giants will be hearing it even more loudly than they are now.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...eams-wouldve-taken-daniel-jones-before-no-17/

Gettleman: I know two teams would’ve taken Daniel Jones before No. 17

The reaction to the Giants’ decision to draft quarterback Daniel Jones with the sixth overall pick has not been terribly positive in the New York/New Jersey area.

Many of the detractors feel that General Manager Dave Gettleman should have taken edge rusher Josh Allen at No. 6 and then taken Jones at No. 17, which assumes that no one would have taken Jones before the Giants were on the clock for the second time in the first round. After the draft came to an end, Gettleman said that assumption was a faulty one.

“I know for a fact there were two teams who would have taken [Jones] before 17 … It wasn’t easy for me to pass up Josh Allen. It was very very difficult. But I think that much of Daniel Jones and his future as an NFL QB,” Gettleman said, via Tom Rock of Newsday.

Gettleman didn’t reveal how he knew or which teams were going to make Jones a first-round pick, but Washington took quarterback Dwayne Haskins at No. 15 and Jones could have been the player they preferred.

Now that the pick is made, it doesn’t matter all that much whether there were two teams, five teams or no teams that were interested in Jones. What matters is whether he plays well enough to make Gettleman look smart for eschewing conventional wisdom and making Jones his choice at the top of the draft.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Reach and not the best option. While they attempted to get a successor to Eli they still don't have one. Also it's very enjoyable to see NFCE teams in turmoil since they're so popular.

fearsomefour

Legend
If it doesn't work out in a couple of years we all know Fitzpatrick and Keenum will still be bouncing around team to team.

fearsomefour

Legend
Reach and not the best option. While they attempted to get a successor to Eli they still don't have one. Also it's very enjoyable to see NFCE teams in turmoil since they're so popular.
I agree about Giants fans full of angst.
This reeks of a pick where it is the need speaking.
Needing a QB NOW almost never works out.
I think I would have traded for Rosen.
He's a year into his development and showed....something.....last year.
Also would have cost less.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I have no problem with it. What do we always say? If you identify a franchise quarterback and you don’t have one you grab him or go get him.

You have to be willing to take the flack to be a GM. He could have taken a D Lineman and then snagged a QB later on and just told the media that whoever was there was his guy all along - but let’s not pretend that QB is not - by far - the most important position in the game.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Gettleman is a moron. When is the last time an average college QB came into the NFL as a high draft pick and was great? Eli Manning has been wasting that teams time for 4 years. He should have been traded when he had value.

I feel bad for the kid though. He was thrown in a terrible situation. You can’t choose when you’re picked and now all these expectations are thrown at him. I can’t help but to laugh at them though. Can’t stand the Giants.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I have no problem with it. What do we always say? If you identify a franchise quarterback and you don’t have one you grab him or go get him.

You have to be willing to take the flack to be a GM. He could have taken a D Lineman and then snagged a QB later on and just told the media that whoever was there was his guy all along - but let’s not pretend that QB is not - by far - the most important position in the game.

100% on point.

I hope Daniel becomes a star, just so I can see everyone (including the Giants' own fans) eat their words.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Compared to the Denver Broncos, who got Drew Lock - a far superior quarterback - in the second? I think the Giants reached.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Measurables and Athleticism are there, he has better than average mobility and his accuracy is better than his stats. The negative is arm strength but is it a glaring weakness? Yeah a lot of people liked Lock and Haskins but generally the 3 were pretty closely grouped. The Giants seem to want to nurture him behind Eli and see what he has. It was a strange rhythm to the first round and obviously NYG thought they needed to move early to get him instead of trade back a bit.

I know this is a Jones topic but AZ is the one who better be crossing their fingers having basically spent 2 firsts on KM

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
As most of you know my trophy bride of 25 years my extraordinary wife (Val) is a Giant fan and I consider he football savvy exceptional and is one of the reasons she shares my surname and living in New York I have a good feel for the New York Football Giants. (BTW, for you younger guys, they say "Football" Giants because before the San Francisco Giants moved to San Fran, they were the New York Giants.)

As to Daniel Jones I knew the Giants were going to draft him, that was their guy all along because of David Cutcliffe coaching him and the fact Jones was very much like the Manning's. Their GM Dave Gettleman IMO is making all the wrong moves and he and Pat Shurmur will be gone after two more years because they waited too long to move on from Eli Manning and I believe drafted the wrong man(n) to replace him.

All the positives you hear about Daniel Jones are not related to his throwing of the football. Good Pocket awareness, good athlete that can move the chains with his feet. Jones is not accurate and does not have a big arm, but he's tall, so there is that. I also want to post that I'm biased because I'm a Buckeye and felt Dwayne Haskins would have been a much better pick, but the Giants like their Quarterbacks a certain way and maybe Haskins did not fit their mold.

Some of tried to compare Jones to Phil Simms, when many scuffed with the Giants made Simms the number one pick from Morehead State, but that was back in 1978 and things were much different. Daniel Jones reminds me more of another Duke alum the Giants drafted number one in the supplemental draft in Dave Brown and everyone knows how that worked out.

Overall the back of the New York Post Headline Read (THE NEW MANN) emphasizing Man and Manning, however, I believe the post blew it because my Headline would have been the following after Gettleman's latest gaffe:

ME AND MRS. JONES!
gettleman.jones_.jpg

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Reminds me of the flak the Bears got for moving up to take Trubisky. Or the Eagles when they took McNabb.

Jones looks like an accurate pocket passer, and he has wheels, too.

Who knows if he’ll work out, but I don’t fault the Giants for identifying the QB they wanted and then not getting “cute” and hoping he’d fall to 17. If you think you see a franchise QB, get him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If they hit on Jones it's all good for Gettleman. But that aside I think their mistake was not taking the QB last year and it's going to haunt them watching the Jets rise with a guy who will lock down QB for them for the next decade IMO.

Oh and aside from Jones they had a good draft btw.

Zodi

Hall of Fame

Agreed. Yeah, maybe they could've traded down or up or whatever and gotten more for less. Maybe not. Who knows. If you have the pick and you like a player, you have to take him. Remember when we traded down a few spots to pick up a measly fifth round pick and ended up missing on Bobby Wagner?

The term "reach" is something coined by those not in draft war rooms imo.

TexasRam

Legend
It’s like Roulette.

You may get lucky but why roll the dice with a first round pick.

The way to build a franchise in a QB driven league is to wait until a Super prospect comes out like Goff, Wentz Mahomes etc. Then move some
picks to get that guy.

But who knows maybe the Giants hit the jackpot and won’t spend 3-4 years with subpar QB play.

LA_vision

Hall of Fame
Will go down as one of the worst picks in recent history. His tape from Duke is mediocre at best. Insane pick with Haskins on the board.

jjab360

Legend
Looks like a reach but if you think he could be a starting caliber QB, I think you have to take the chance. It's hard to say a trade for Rosen would have been better, neither one is really an exciting player at this point tbh.