LEGEND Your Song of the Day

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
[GALLERY=media, 66]Hopsin - ILL Mind of Hopsin 8 - YouTube by BatteringRambo posted Mar 11, 2016 at 11:54 AM[/GALLERY]

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...ke-and-palmer-keyboardist-dead-at-71-20160311

Keith Emerson, Emerson, Lake and Palmer Keyboardist, Dead at 71
"Keith was a gentle soul whose love for music and passion for his performance as a keyboard player will remain unmatched for many years to come," Carl Palmer says of ELP bandmate
BY DANIEL KREPS/ March 11, 2016

Keith Emerson, founding member and keyboardist of Emerson, Lake and Palmer and a prog rock legend, died Friday. He was 71. His bandmate Carl Palmer and the trio's official Facebook confirmed Emerson's death. TMZ reported that police found Emerson with a single gunshot wound to the head, though they could not confirm that Emerson died by suicide. "We regret to announce that Keith Emerson died last night at his home in Santa Monica, Los Angeles, aged 71. We ask that the family’s privacy and grief be respected," the band wrote.

"I am deeply saddened to learn of the passing of my good friend and brother-in-music, Keith Emerson," Palmer wrote in a statement. "Keith was a gentle soul whose love for music and passion for his performance as a keyboard player will remain unmatched for many years to come. He was a pioneer and an innovator whose musical genius touched all of us in the worlds of rock, classical and jazz. I will always remember his warm smile, good sense of humor, compelling showmanship and dedication to his musical craft. I am very lucky to have known him and to have made the music we did together."

After discovering the Hammond and Moog in his teenage years, Emerson grew into one of the greatest keyboardists of his generation, first as a member of the Nice before founding the prog supergroup Emerson, Lake and Palmer. ELP formed in 1970 after Emerson, guitarist Greg Lake (formerly of King Crimson) and drummer Carl Palmer, a veteran of the Crazy World of Arthur Brown, joined together for a project that would better showcase their musicianship.

After a breakout performance at the Isle of Wight festival in 1970, the trio signed with Atlantic Records' Ahmet Ertegun; 37 years later, Emerson and other prog all-stars would open for Led Zeppelin at the Ertegun tribute concert at London's O2 Arena. ELP's self-titled debut arrived in 1970, the first of four albums the trio would release in their first four years together.

Following the release of 1971's Tarkus – the album's title track serves as a highlight of Emerson's keyboard prowess – and 1972's Trilogy, the group unleashed their landmark 1973 album Brain Salad Surgery; Emerson served as co-writer on that album's most enduring track, "Karn Evil 9."

1035x736-GettyImages-109766321.jpg

Keith Emerson of Emerson, Lake and Palmer during rehearsals for the band's 'Works' tour, at the Olympic Stadium, Montreal, Canada, February 1977.
Michael Putland

After a brief hiatus to work on solo projects, ELP reunited for 1977's Works Volume 1 and Volume 2, which was followed soon after by 1978's Love Beach. ELP disbanded for the first time in 1979, although soon after Emerson, Lake and Palmer morphed into Emerson, Lake and Powell with Rainbow and Jeff Beck drummer Cozy Powell on sticks.

Emerson briefly reunited with Palmer for their 1988 project 3 before ELP reunited in 1991 and recorded their 1992 comeback album titled Black Moon; In the Hot Seat, their last studio album together, followed in 1994. After splitting again in the late-Nineties, ELP remained separate for nearly a dozen years until reuniting for one last tour together in 2010. Their final gig together came at London's High Voltage Festival in July 2010.

In addition to his time with ELP, Emerson also enjoyed a long musical career that featured both solo albums and film scores, including Dario Argento's 1980 horror film Inferno and the 1981 Sylvester Stallone thriller Nighthawks.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyTKmmcXLSs

RedRam

Pro Bowler
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...ke-and-palmer-keyboardist-dead-at-71-20160311

"Keith was a gentle soul whose love for music and passion for his performance as a keyboard player will remain unmatched for many years to come," Carl Palmer says of ELP bandmate

Keith Emerson, founding member and keyboardist of Emerson, Lake and Palmer and a prog rock legend, died Friday. He was 71. His bandmate Carl Palmer and the trio's official Facebook confirmed Emerson's death. TMZ reported that police found Emerson with a single gunshot wound to the head, though they could not confirm that Emerson died by suicide. "We regret to announce that Keith Emerson died last night at his home in Santa Monica, Los Angeles, aged 71. We ask that the family’s privacy and grief be respected," the band wrote.

"I am deeply saddened to learn of the passing of my good friend and brother-in-music, Keith Emerson," Palmer wrote in a statement. "Keith was a gentle soul whose love for music and passion for his performance as a keyboard player will remain unmatched for many years to come. He was a pioneer and an innovator whose musical genius touched all of us in the worlds of rock, classical and jazz. I will always remember his warm smile, good sense of humor, compelling showmanship and dedication to his musical craft. I am very lucky to have known him and to have made the music we did together."

After discovering the Hammond and Moog in his teenage years, Emerson grew into one of the greatest keyboardists of his generation, first as a member of the Nice before founding the prog supergroup Emerson, Lake and Palmer. ELP formed in 1970 after Emerson, guitarist Greg Lake (formerly of King Crimson) and drummer Carl Palmer, a veteran of the Crazy World of Arthur Brown, joined together for a project that would better showcase their musicianship.

After a breakout performance at the Isle of Wight festival in 1970, the trio signed with Atlantic Records' Ahmet Ertegun; 37 years later, Emerson and other prog all-stars would open for Led Zeppelin at the Ertegun tribute concert at London's O2 Arena. ELP's self-titled debut arrived in 1970, the first of four albums the trio would release in their first four years together.

Following the release of 1971's Tarkus – the album's title track serves as a highlight of Emerson's keyboard prowess – and 1972's Trilogy, the group unleashed their landmark 1973 album Brain Salad Surgery; Emerson served as co-writer on that album's most enduring track, "Karn Evil 9."

Keith Emerson of Emerson, Lake and Palmer during rehearsals for the band's 'Works' tour, at the Olympic Stadium, Montreal, Canada, February 1977.
Michael Putland

After a brief hiatus to work on solo projects, ELP reunited for 1977's Works Volume 1 and Volume 2, which was followed soon after by 1978's Love Beach. ELP disbanded for the first time in 1979, although soon after Emerson, Lake and Palmer morphed into Emerson, Lake and Powell with Rainbow and Jeff Beck drummer Cozy Powell on sticks.

Emerson briefly reunited with Palmer for their 1988 project 3 before ELP reunited in 1991 and recorded their 1992 comeback album titled Black Moon; In the Hot Seat, their last studio album together, followed in 1994. After splitting again in the late-Nineties, ELP remained separate for nearly a dozen years until reuniting for one last tour together in 2010. Their final gig together came at London's High Voltage Festival in July 2010.

In addition to his time with ELP, Emerson also enjoyed a long musical career that featured both solo albums and film scores, including Dario Argento's 1980 horror film Inferno and the 1981 Sylvester Stallone thriller Nighthawks.

I just heard about this on my way back to work after an hour of being in an MRI tube. I had to tune into some music after an hour of that racket. They were saying that he was depressed because some nerve issue in his right hand was severely impacting his ability to play. Very sad news...

RedRam

Pro Bowler
Everything okay?

Yeah, just getting both shoulders checked out so the doc can make an accurate diagnosis. I've been playing through the pain since late last spring. It started to impact other areas of my life other than playing hockey. So, I'm taking a break from playing until I get the shoulders fixed up. Of course, knowing me, I'm likely to jack them up again clobbering some knucklehead that thinks he's playing for a spot in the NHL. :thinking:;):deadhorse::yess:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Yeah, just getting both shoulders checked out so the doc can make an accurate diagnosis. I've been playing through the pain since late last spring. It started to impact other areas of my life other than playing hockey. So, I'm taking a break from playing until I get the shoulders fixed up. Of course, knowing me, I'm likely to jack them up again clobbering some knucklehead that thinks he's playing for a spot in the NHL. :thinking:;):deadhorse::yess:

I went through this same thing since the late 80's and they pretty much stopped hurting last year in January. Now it's other areas of the body. :mad: Yeah, after finding out that cortisone shots are expensive and don't usually last too long, I opted to deal with it as is. Aspirin, Ben Gay and ice packs became the alternatives. Hope you get this fixed soon because it's a miserable experience as you know.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey

Michael Putland

I was in a good mood till I read this....I'm a huge Emerson fanboy. Besides Argento's Inferno (I'm addicted to Argento) check out Emerson's soundtrack on the excellent horror film "The Church". :cry: Oh O I'm sad. I last saw Keith with The Scorpions and Telsa. Funny how Tesla like Keith was... He explained his prehistoric million dollar mellotron...Mellotron 101 for the masses.

At age 12 Keith wrote Lucky Man on his guitar gift. I remember how my heart soared on Emerson's keyboard solo. Om my god.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89g1P_J40JA

And Karnival 9 sweeps me off my feet every time...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwSTe9uit48

A week ago my wife and I vegetated to Keith's work off WORK's.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IIKrbVy4w8

I will always remember Keith this way...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xggFzkyd288

I hope your feeling OK RedRam. I'm just getting to know you. May your health and happiness reach all time highs in 2016 -2034!

Last edited:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
He explained his prehistoric million dollar mellotron...Mellotron 101 for the masses.

The first time I heard a Mellotron live was while watching the Moody Blues. This was around 72-73 and was indoors. One of the roadies was testing it before they came on stage all by itself and the crowd went nuts. Absolutely wonderful sound.

The problem with the damn thing was that it was extremely heavy, loaded with tapes that constantly went out of tune, and outrageously expensive. Not something a band wants to tour with.

I've played around with Mellotron plugins while recording my songs but they don't come close enough to the real sound, so I use a synth loaded with reverb. Not bad but not great either.

Never got to see ELP live but had plenty of their albums. Some people make fun of prog- rock but they must not know what fantastic musicians some of these guys were and still are. Chris Squire from Yes went recently and now Keith Emerson. Sad!

RedRam

Pro Bowler
I went through this same thing since the late 80's and they pretty much stopped hurting last year in January. Now it's other areas of the body. :mad: Yeah, after finding out that cortisone shots are expensive and don't usually last too long, I opted to deal with it as is. Aspirin, Ben Gay and ice packs became the alternatives. Hope you get this fixed soon because it's a miserable experience as you know.

Yeah, when it starts impacting your life on a daily basis it definitely sucks. I have a difficult time as it is sleeping without any pain.

I just switched my healthcare plan to a Kaiser plan not because I like them that much but they get stuff done, minimal BS. The last time around with my left shoulder in '07, it took 7 months to get an MRI approved and taken. By that time, I went from needing a simple clean-up surgery to having a completely frozen shoulder requiring much more extensive work and rehab. In one month at Kaiser I've had an appointment with the GP, an orthopedic surgeon, and had the MRIs. All for a grand total of $30 out of pocket. My last MRI two years ago (different injury) cost me $2K out of pocket! :shocked::headexplosion::death:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Yeah, when it starts impacting your life on a daily basis it definitely sucks. I have a difficult time as it is sleeping without any pain.

I just switched my healthcare plan to a Kaiser plan not because I like them that much but they get stuff done, minimal BS. The last time around with my left shoulder in '07, it took 7 months to get an MRI approved and taken. By that time, I went from needing a simple clean-up surgery to having a completely frozen shoulder requiring much more extensive work and rehab. In one month at Kaiser I've had an appointment with the GP, an orthopedic surgeon, and had the MRIs. All for a grand total of $30 out of pocket. My last MRI two years ago (different injury) cost me $2K out of pocket! :shocked::headexplosion::death:

Had Kaiser from the time I married the ex in 73 because she worked there until the late 90's because it got to be too much of a hassle to drive 7 hours round trip for an appointment. This was off the Beltway in eastern Maryland. Never had any problems with them other than the commute. Ironically the doc I have now is in Frederick, MD which isn't that much closer.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
I was in a good mood till I read this....I'm a huge Emerson fanboy. Besides Argento's Inferno (I'm addicted to Argento) check out Emerson's soundtrack on the excellent horror film "The Church". :cry: Oh O I'm sad. I last saw Keith with The Scorpions and Telsa. Funny how Tesla like Keith was... He explained his prehistoric million dollar mellotron...Mellotron 101 for the masses.

At age 12 Keith wrote Lucky Man on his guitar gift. I remember how my heart soared on Emerson's keyboard solo. Om my god.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89g1P_J40JA

And Karnival 9 sweeps me off my feet every time...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwSTe9uit48

A week ago my wife and I vegetated to Keith's work off WORK's.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IIKrbVy4w8

I will always remember Keith this way...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xggFzkyd288

I hope your feeling OK RedRam. I'm just getting to know you. May your health and happiness reach all time highs in 2016 -2034!

I'm fine, thank you!! I've always played through stuff until I can't deal with it anymore. This getting old stuff can be a PITA sometimes... ;) I should probably cool it on the physical way in which I play hockey, but..., it's so much fun!! :mrburnsevil::yess:

The first time I heard a Mellotron live was while watching the Moody Blues. This was around 72-73 and was indoors. One of the roadies was testing it before they came on stage all by itself and the crowd went nuts. Absolutely wonderful sound.

The problem with the damn thing was that it was extremely heavy, loaded with tapes that constantly went out of tune, and outrageously expensive. Not something a band wants to tour with.

I've played around with Mellotron plugins while recording my songs but they don't come close enough to the real sound, so I use a synth loaded with reverb. Not bad but not great either.

Never got to see ELP live but had plenty of their albums. Some people make fun of prog- rock but they must not know what fantastic musicians some of these guys were and still are. Chris Squire from Yes went recently and now Keith Emerson. Sad!

Absolutely fantastic music and musicians!! ELP was another great band that I got a jump on listening to before my "peers" did because of you! Thank you!!

RedRam

Pro Bowler
Had Kaiser from the time I married the ex in 73 because she worked there until the late 90's because it got to be too much of a hassle to drive 7 hours round trip for an appointment. This was off the Beltway in eastern Maryland. Never had any problems with them other than the commute. Ironically the doc I have now is in Frederick, MD which isn't that much closer.

Yeah, I remember hauling you into the SC Kaiser a couple of times back in the day. I don't know if I ever told you the "rest of the story" about one of those trips to the ER. I'll save that for the next phone call...

Have a great weekend! I gotta get out of here and head home.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Yeah, I remember hauling you into the SC Kaiser a couple of times back in the day. I don't know if I ever told you the "rest of the story" about one of those trips to the ER. I'll save that for the next phone call...

Have a great weekend! I gotta get out of here and head home.

Can't wait to hear about it. Have a safe weekend.

Peter