Your scouting notes from first preseason game?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Only wondering as it seems I wasn't the only one thought his performance was underwhelming and McVay had mentioned last week that he was still needing a lot of work.

Which is of course hardly surprising for a rookie.

Simply wondering if maybe they fell in love with his speed and maybe went a little early on him.
What would have been a better spot for him to be picked?

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Keyed on B Young on some slo-mo. Sorry to say but he doesn't look to have a ton of speed. Young clocked 40 at 4.70, while Hampton was 4.49. Sad to say that Easton Stick easily outran Young in the flat. Hoping Young has some power to his game, because his burst and speed looked underwhelming last nite.
On that scramble, Young looked gassed. In fact Whitwirth commented on the defense looking tired. He then came out for a couple of plays after that.

The next day, I think it was Morris or maybe McVay, who stated these guys were getting tired because they are used to getting 3 reps and then someone replaces them. So being out there for 10 straight plays, they are not used to it yet....especially with the adrenaline etc... which is why they said they left them in there to get used to it.

That's just the modern NFL with the cushy 75 minute, one a day practice schedule.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
On that scramble, Young looked gassed. In fact Whitwirth commented on the defense looking tired. He then came out for a couple of plays after that.

The next day, I think it was Morris or maybe McVay, who stated these guys were getting tired because they are used to getting 3 reps and then someone replaces them. So being out there for 10 straight plays, they are not used to it yet....especially with the adrenaline etc... which is why they said they left them in there to get used to it.

That's just the modern NFL with the cushy 75 minute, one a day practice schedule.
Certainly plausible. Have to say I do expect the defensive front to improve quite a bit as we go forward, as our DL Coach Henderson is one of the best in the business. Problem is they're most likely looking at that improvement in pressures moreso than the run stuffing because that's the strength in these guys' games. They brought in guys who were good penetrators and it looks like they wanted to stack an anti-pass game defense to pair with a strong offensive resurgence. Basically hang points on the opponent early and often being the plan, and take them out of their run game that way.

So I figure run defense is probably going to be an isssue for us the rest of the season because in order to have a top run stopping unit you need:

1. Strength in your front, i.e. quality of players who can stuff up an opposing run game.
2. Hard work mentality where they understand as a unit they need to do the work to get to the pass rush downs.
3. Good contain to handle run threat QBs and speedy backs bouncing it outside.

We have 2 covered I think, between Henderson running his dawg work and AD anchoring the unit. 3 might be ok because Young had a good contain on his Tennessee tape, he even showed a little makeup speed to the outside I thought. But no matter how I try to view this phase as it pertains to 1 it just doesn't look like we have the horses in there to stand up to a top run game. SF is gonna hurt. Seattle probably too, of the division games.

Not trying to be negative here either. It is what it is, not like you can restack an entire roster in one offseason with a bunch of late round picks. They actually did a pretty good job I think of taking their shot it's just gonna get really old watching teams gash us on the ground.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Certainly plausible. Have to say I do expect the defensive front to improve quite a bit as we go forward, as our DL Coach Henderson is one of the best in the business. Problem is they're most likely looking at that improvement in pressures moreso than the run stuffing because that's the strength in these guys' games. They brought in guys who were good penetrators and it looks like they wanted to stack an anti-pass game defense to pair with a strong offensive resurgence. Basically hang points on the opponent early and often being the plan, and take them out of their run game that way.

So I figure run defense is probably going to be an isssue for us the rest of the season because in order to have a top run stopping unit you need:

1. Strength in your front, i.e. quality of players who can stuff up an opposing run game.
2. Hard work mentality where they understand as a unit they need to do the work to get to the pass rush downs.

We have 2 covered I think, between Henderson running his dawg work and AD anchoring the unit. 3 might be ok because Young had a good contain on his Tennessee tape, he even showed a little makeup speed to the outside I thought. But no matter how I try to view this phase as it pertains to 1 it just doesn't look like we have the horses in there to stand up to a top run game. SF is gonna hurt. Seattle probably too, of the division games.

Not trying to be negative here either. It is what it is, not like you can restack an entire roster in one offseason with a bunch of late round picks. They actually did a pretty good job I think of taking their shot it's just gonna get really old watching teams gash us on the ground.

I'm still hoping for a decent veteran IDL to hit the waiver wire.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
One thing I have to do is be able to ground my expectations. You can't really take much from a preseason game as far as the whole team is concerned. Certain players might show something. Others might show something in a bad way.

But the team as a whole? We really won't know what we have until they start playing for real with all their starters. I was disappointed in the lack of pressure from the defensive front 7. But what will it look like with they have Donald and their full compliment of starters?

Not to mention a guy who didn't show much game one just might have learned some things and could improve from there. Someone like Byron Young.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Kind of genius if you think about it...

Secondary might suck. Run defense might suck. In today's NFL, most teams won't be able to resist throwing the ball against this secondary and then BAM the pass rush gets home and we have a middle of the pack defense

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Yeah lots of unknowns on defense at this point. It's hard with so many new faces, starters not playing and missing players like Ramsey and Scott it's gonna have to be a wait and see kinda thing.

I do wonder if we see a different style of defense this year with so many unknown pieces.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
So is Young feeling a like a reach at all in Rd 3 then?
I feel like the Rams knew he would need some work to be effective at this level and likely hoped it would happen sooner than later. He reminds me athletically of Terell Lewis, but not as big, and doesn't have an injury history. He also has a similar frame to Hardy but a bit heavier. He played against better competition @ Tennessee than Hardy did at Montana State and should develop faster, as long as he can add some moves and maybe put on a bit of weight, he should be an effective edge in a rotation. I felt like he was a pretty high-risk/reward guy, but I wouldn't grade him as anything but a rookie that needs to keep working hard. I have always felt he may take until year 2 to show his real potential and start rewarding us.

Last edited:

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I feel like the Rams knew he would need some work to be effective at this level and likely hoped it would happen sooner than later. He reminds me athletically of Terell Lewis, but not as big, and doesn't have an injury history. He also has a similar frame to Hardy but a bit heavier. He played against better competition @ Tennessee than Hardy did at Montana State and should develop faster, as long as he can add some moves and maybe put on a bit of weight, he should be an effective edge in a rotation. I felt like he was a pretty high-risk/reward guy, but I wouldn't grade him as anything but a rookie that needs to keep working hard. I have always felt he may take until year 2 to show his real potential and start rewarding us.

The Rams desperately need an impactful pass rusher NOW, but I’m coming around to your way of thinking. He can learn technique while he tries to adjust to the steady level of competition he’s now going to face, but after seeing his picture in practice gear…he needs to get into the weight room. He’s gonna need to bulk up and get physical. If he isn’t sensing that now, he will eventually and maybe that becomes his focus next offseason.

If you’re playing next to AD, you can marvel all you want at his technique and determination, but at some point it should occur that that stuff only works as well as it does for him because he’s in great shape. He has literally bull rushed 300 lb+ grown men and driven them straight back into the QB. He’s plenty strong.
I think our new Edge rushers, especially Young, need that to sink in.

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
I don’t like that Young is 25… at some point soon he’s capped out