Your scouting notes from first preseason game?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I've read a few posts about cutdowns. I believe the rules now require just a single cutdown to 53 after the final preseason game.

Of course, teams can cut and sign anytime but there’s no more gradual cuts.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Tyler Johnson better make this team. That’s all I’m gonna say.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Z Evans looks buried on the depth chart for now. So does McCutcheon. Is Lance McCutcheoin the next Nelson Spruce? Fan favorite who doesn't get much playing time.

Bennett already looks better than Wolford and Perkins.
I hope Evans makes the squad. Akers, Williams, Evans and Freeman. Ronnie Rivers will also be buried on the depth chart if he stays so keep the new guy.

That statement is true and makes me really question why McVay/Snead couldn't find a better backup than Wolford (or Perkins).

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I echo what the rest of you said, but #33 Torrence II needs to have a perfect rest of preseason. So many missed tackles and constantly out of position.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Re-watching the game and not to bad the 2nd time.

Really, up until the last 2 minutes of the 1st half, the D gave 6 points. And after the first 2 drives they pulled out a few guys that might be factors and replaced them with a bunch of UDFA's.

It's the 2nd group that started getting gashed on the ground.

So not quite as bad as it seemed.

And the young OL didn't do too bad outside of Bruss.

McCallister didn't seem to make any mistakes. Thomas did well in the run game. Avila didn't get beat that I saw. McClendon battled. Now they all need the game to slow down for them, but they showed promise.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
Until I watch the Coaches Tape on NFL+ I will reserve my opinion on our second team.

We have no idea what we have at this point.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A couple more random notes, based on some re-watch...

Looked to me that maybe Tre Tomlinson missed an assignment in the 2nd play, which was (luckily) an incomplete pass? His guy was wide open. HOWEVER he looked awesome after that. Great breakup on 3rd down. And several SOLID plays on run D, he actually packs a wallop for such a small frame. Real nice cover skills. Still sky high on TT.

Bruss looks even worse on re-watch.

Keyed on B Young on some slo-mo. Sorry to say but he doesn't look to have a ton of speed. Young clocked 40 at 4.70, while Hampton was 4.49. Sad to say that Easton Stick easily outran Young in the flat. Hoping Young has some power to his game, because his burst and speed looked underwhelming last nite.

E Evans has so much potential, just love this pick.

oldnotdead

Legend
Byron Young timed at 4.47
I told you read/react has slowed everyone on the DL

Tell Morris he's fucking up the DL with his 2 gap read / react DL BS

TexasRam

Legend
Tyler Johnson better make this team. That’s all I’m gonna say.
He was a force.

Not only the catches and YAC but there was a pass interference against him and an overthrow on a would be TD to him a bit later on that same drive early 4th quarter.

Definitely got to keep an eye on Johnson. He's either poised to breakout or just had his career game.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Byron Young timed at 4.47
I told you read/react has slowed everyone on the DL

Tell Morris he's fucking up the DL with his 2 gap read / react DL BS
Yeah, you're right, even though my Lindys draft magazine lists Tennessee's B Young as having a 4.70 time, everywhere else I look has him at either 4.51, 4.48, or even 4.43. So he's put up plenty of fast times.

And as for his pursuit of Stick, it's true he got off balance at first and then Stick hit a higher gear.

All I can say is, he sure didn't look fast in Saturdays game. Definitely looked like a confused rookie.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
They will have a tough time cutting wide receivers. This group looks really good.

Ronnie Rivers was very impressive.

Byron Young looked a bit lazy. You can see the difference in motor between him and Hardy.

Bennett settles down nicely. I wonder if they only keep two QBs this year.

Avila looked good.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
They will have a tough time cutting wide receivers. This group looks really good.
I believe they will keep 7.

1. Cooper Kupp
  2. Van Jefferson
  3. Tutu Atwell
  4. Puka Nacua (Punt Returner)
  5. Demarcus Robinson
  6. Tyler Johnson
  7. Ben Skowronek (4th TE).

WestCoastRam

Legend
E Evans has so much potential, just love this pick.
Evans had a 1 yard one that was actually really impressive... Bolts got penetration and he was still able to scoot away from it and turned what would have been a 3 yard loss to a 1 yard gain.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Evans had a 1 yard one that was actually really impressive... Bolts got penetration and he was still able to scoot away from it and turned what would have been a 3 yard loss to a 1 yard gain.
I believe @XXXIVwin was referencing Punter Ethan Evans, not RB Zach Evans.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I believe they will keep 7.

1. Cooper Kupp
  2. Van Jefferson
  3. Tutu Atwell
  4. Puka Nacua (Punt Returner)
  5. Demarcus Robinson
  6. Tyler Johnson
  7. Ben Skowronek (4th TE).
that's definitely an impressive list of WRs. I think the decision on who to keep will be easy, keep the 7 Den listed and cut the rest.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Going back and watching the film.. other than 2 bad sacks and 2 should've been picks early in his game action (he even admitted he was a little nervous and anxious and really settled after his first hit).. Stetson threw some fucking great passes.. 2 in the end zone that could've been caught (one the WR fell, and other went off the guys hands on a jump ball)..

Also his pocket awareness and demeanor was awesome to see.. and a few passes where he looked off the defender for a nice pass was very encouraging.

Out of the bad, I see it as very correctable mistakes and I expected it being his first NFL game action. I fully expect the ball to start getting out faster and faster decisions the more he plays.

Was listening to the Pat McAfee Show and they were talking about how damn impressed they were of him. Was awesome to see.

I guess, quite frankly, it's nice to be the one who's always loved a player and now people are slowly seeing what I've seen. Usually it's the other way around. Haha.

Can't say I haven't been leading the Stetson Bennett bandwagon and allowing more people on!