Your Controversial Rams Takes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
If Rod Perry was 5’-10” instead of being 5”-9” the RAMS win Super Bowl IV…that one hurt…a lot!

MV5BYTE3NTExYzMtN2UwYy00MDRhLWE3YTEtZjQ5MTc3NWNlM2MxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODM4MjcwMjk@._V1_.jpg
Was it his length or the timing?

dang

Legend
I go back 54 years. We've seen the best and worst; and it has mostly been periods of Extremes.

The Rams had terrific teams for 17 years (1973-1989), making the playoffs (when fewer teams qualified) Fourteen times; and 2-of-the-3 years they did not make the playoffs were strike shortened (Joke) seasons.

Unfortunately, that long period of success was followed by almost an entire decade (1990-1998), where the Rams had the worst record in the NFL. Then they exploded, with five playoff-teams in six seasons (1999- 2004), followed by twelve straight seasons without a winning record (2005-2016); and, now, the tremendous success under McVay until last year's collapse.

That's more Up-and-Down than an adult film actor!
Jesus. I just calculated and man do I feel old. 3rd grade/1971/Rams horns/Roman Gabriel hooked me. So Rams (not CLE/LA/Anaheim/StLouis Rams) fan for 52 years. Go F***in Rams I want 1-2 more rings not greedy) before I get cremated and put in Cuervo Silver bottle.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jesus. I just calculated and man do I feel old. 3rd grade/1971/Rams horns/Roman Gabriel hooked me. So Rams (not CLE/LA/Anaheim/StLouis Rams) fan for 52 years. Go F***in Rams I want 1-2 more rings not greedy) before I get cremated and put in Cuervo Silver bottle.
I think we are the same age, old man!

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
My controversial take, well one of many that I keep cooking under my old Rams hat, is that McVay got into it big time with CJ Anderson during the Super Bowl run due to some combination of Gurley's ego and snaps. And I believe McVay chose poorly (as he tends to do with RBs) by favoring Gurley even though he was not the same guy any longer. This was a big factor in him losing that Super Bowl.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I do remember Bernie reporting that Martz was a big advocate of Zygmont until they turned on each other.
It was the Larry Marmie hire that was the straw that broke the Camel's back, however, there were other things that led to the rift.

Martz wanted to draft Troy Polamalu back in 2003, but Zygmunt felt the Rams were too high to take a safety because of the money and convinced the Rams to draft DT Jimmy Kennedy instead.

Zygmunt also advised the Rams that they could only afford Leonard Little or London Fletcher and not both, however, Zygmunt never picked up the phone to contact Fletcher's agent and they signed Jamie Duncan instead, but could have signed London if he only inquired.

After Lovie Smith left as the DC to become HC of the Chicago Bears, Martz wanted Larry Marmie as DC, but Zygmunt felt they should look elsewhere and set up an interview with Dick Jauron. When Jauron came to Rams Park for the interview, Martz sat him down and told Jauron "Dick I already promised the job to Larry (Marmie),." Interview over and the two never spoke again.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Martz wanted to draft Troy Polamalu back in 2003, but Zygmunt felt the Rams were too high to take a safety because of the money and convinced the Rams to draft DT Jimmy Kennedy instead.
Fucking Ziggy. That dude. And I don't blame the guy for not trusting Martz, who was a special kind of stupid himself at times in evaluation. But Ziggy had no clue what he was doing.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Fucking Ziggy. That dude. And I don't blame the guy for not trusting Martz, who was a special kind of stupid himself at times in evaluation. But Ziggy had no clue what he was doing.
When I teach I always communicate "Don't let your strength become your weakness." Zygmunt did that many times because he felt he was so tuned in with the cap and the finance part that he couldn't see the forest for the trees.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
This year is going to showcase quite a bit because if the Rams struggle again, I can't see McVay staying, in fact, I felt if they got off to a slow start, lets communicate 1-6, do we start hearing the stories again about being overwhelmed?
I agree, unfortunately.

We’re going 10-7 though, so don’t worry about it. (y)

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
It was the Larry Marmie hire that was the straw that broke the Camel's back, however, there were other things that led to the rift.

Who?

WestCoastRam

Legend

Zygmunt also advised the Rams that they could only afford Leonard Little or London Fletcher and not both, however, Zygmunt never picked up the phone to contact Fletcher's agent and they signed Jamie Duncan instead, but could have signed London if he only inquired.

After Lovie Smith left as the DC to become HC of the Chicago Bears, Martz wanted Larry Marmie as DC, but Zygmunt felt they should look elsewhere and set up an interview with Dick Jauron. When Jauron came to Rams Park for the interview, Martz sat him down and told Jauron "Dick I already promised the job to Larry (Marmie),." Interview over and the two never spoke again.

So much dysfunction. But what's amazing is how many front offices looked like this in the 90s. Front offices, analytics, understanding of roster construction are light years ahead of where they were back then... unless you're the Cards.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

92cdf71bafe4da11af9f0014c2589dfb.jpg

Rams Defensive Coordinator Larry Marmie to Cornerback Travis Fisher.

Marmie: 'I really don't know what the hell I am doing but I think the field is over there.'

Fisher: 'Who did you have to fuck to get this job?'

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff had his issues with McVay at the end there but Blythe and Evans (in the GB game) also contributed heavily to the Rams not winning it all

Look at what happened to Stafford last year when Kolone was center and Evans was the LG

Yes I am comparing Blythe to Kolone a tad bit.

Blythe was better than Kolone but when it was 3rd and long - he either got pushed back into Goff really fast or was a turnstyle

And Evans ... Evans did in the GB game what he did last year

Everyone focused on Goff not winning the GB game but I put a lot of it on Blythe and Evans - rewatch the game - you will see what I am talking about especially when it was 2nd down and long or 3rd down and long

I assumed the spirit of the thread wasn't to rehash old arguments.

But IMO the Rams win more games with a different QB in the regular season, likely have home field and thus don't even have to go to Green Bay which changes the entire trajectory of the season.

I agree that Goff wasn't the reason we lost the GB game - more than anything it was AD being a shell of himself.

Tano

Legend
I assumed the spirit of the thread wasn't to rehash old arguments.

But IMO the Rams win more games with a different QB in the regular season, likely have home field and thus don't even have to go to Green Bay which changes the entire trajectory of the season.

I agree that Goff wasn't the reason we lost the GB game - more than anything it was AD being a shell of himself.
Maybe but I blame a lot of problems on Blythe during the regular season too.

Not trying to say Goff wasn't a problem either but I was just pointing out look at what Stafford did with Kolone and Evans in there.

And damn - I really wanted Creed Humphrey to replace Blythe

My controversial statement on this is ...

If we had Creed Humphrey as our center, we win it all in 2020

And I await the Not So Sures - but I stand by this statement