With the 147th pick in the draft the Rams select Micah Kiser ILB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
Hard to find a perfect fit in the 4th round. Tree had troubles in coverage. Kiser could as well. The scouting report says so.

• Is a liability in man coverage
  • Will struggle to match patterns from man coverage

Wade uses a lot of man coverage with the two ILBers. He did call plays in college and studies film which could help with his shortcomings. He shows some quickness rushing up the middle and brings some hitting ability. He is a blue collar hard worker that will compete. Rams need a bigger ILBer to help in the run game. It will be interesting to see how he fits in.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'm intrigued by his blitzing ability. Wade seemed to like to blitz from Ogletree's spot a decent amount...

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
You realize this is only how you see it, don't you? Yes he's not that mobile, but ALL the scouting reports say that he's excellent against the run. He's very strong, can hold his own against Olinemen, and is very good at shedding any blockers.
Where did you get the opinion from that you have of Kiser?
It is the beauty of the 3-4 defense. you have to have 1 downhill/run defender at ILB and another who has range. We've got those guys now. Now ... in a 4-3 ... Kiser would be more limited. And yes, he will probably come out on 3rd down id the down & distance dictate passing situation. That is why they drafted guys with other skill sets. Like Offense, teams now build packages for situations DL/LB's/ DB's are just like the RB/TE /WR combinations now. All about matchups. But we were HORRIBLE against the run last few yrs. Kiser is going to help that

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
It is the beauty of the 3-4 defense. you have to have 1 downhill/run defender at ILB and another who has range. We've got those guys now. Now ... in a 4-3 ... Kiser would be more limited. And yes, he will probably come out on 3rd down id the down & distance dictate passing situation. That is why they drafted guys with other skill sets. Like Offense, teams now build packages for situations DL/LB's/ DB's are just like the RB/TE /WR combinations now. All about matchups. But we were HORRIBLE against the run last few yrs. Kiser is going to help that
I see you're a smart man like me. So it's a good thing you agree with me, because otherwise one of us would be looking pretty average, and I'm just not willing to face that yet.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Next London Fletcher?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bjNPMgg4QI

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL0myY0x42E

I thought he was a bit small but he's 2 inches taller than Fletcher while being 4 lbs lighter. I'm sure he'll fill out obviously. Intrigued.

Knows how to shed. the anti- Alec Ogletree in his read and react skills. Fills the hole quickly... doesn't wait for the play to come to him . Knows how to slow-play and let his team defenders rally to the ball, without over running the play.. He's not perfect, but he has a lot to work with already. i never liked how AO tackled, even with coming out of Georgia. Never knew how to slow-play Vs. zone blocking schemes, tackled way to high and was slow to read and react on inside runs. Kiser is already better at all 3 of those phases.

WestCoastRam

Legend
More than likely, he'll be our MO ILB in 3-4 at the beginning of the year but Littleton will probably play the MO spot when we go to nickel. We'll probably see more specialized packages this year for players on defense than even last year.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I thought he played well in a bunch of games over the last couple years....for a 5th round pick...he fills a need...now we get to see if he can play in the pros....

Not Malik Jefferson...but hey....

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
I like this guy a lot!
Like mentioned, it probably is best to keep him off the field in third and passing downs. But, I think he will really be effective in a rotational role.
He can help stop the run. Than when we're ahead, he can pass rush the QB.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I just...I'm frustrated with this draft. I'm sorry.

I'll cool my jets. Go Rams!
You are going to be shocked because you don't know Kiser. That's going to be a good thing though.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I like this guy a lot!
Like mentioned, it probably is best to keep him off the field in third and passing downs. But, I think he will really be effective in a rotational role.
He can help stop the run. Than when we're ahead, he can pass rush the QB.
He's pretty good at putting on a pass rush so if he's on the field on 3rd and long, look for a blitz.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
You realize this entire board is all of us just expressing our opinions?
Wasn’t sure whether to give this a haha or a cheers. Dead on the money though. When we start collecting a check for doing this we MAY have claim that it is more than our opinions on here but until then, our opinion is what we have to give. Cheers man.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/After-Winning-Campbell-Trophy-Kiser-Ready-for-Challenge-of-NFL/1b6f3ef4-adfd-472f-8752-bd37e571e18a

After Winning Campbell Trophy, Kiser Ready for Challenge of NFL

Rams rookie linebacker Micah Kiser is best known on the field for leading the ACC in tackles three years in a row. It’s a feat previously accomplished by now Panthers All-Pro linebacker Luke Kuechly.

“I just play hard — that’s just what I do,” Kiser said this week. “You play linebacker, you want to make as many tackles as you can. So [I’m a] hard-nose player, [give] great effort all the time, and I was really smart so I could make a lot of plays.’

But if there’s anything that separates Kiser from many of the players in his draft class, it’s what he said about being “really smart.” Sure, it’s tough to be a football player at any level and succeed without a proper above-the-neck approach. But the Virginia product takes that to a very high level.

Kiser was awarded the Campbell Trophy after the 2017 season. You may not have heard of the honor, but it’s given by the National Football Foundation to the college football player with the best combination of academics, community service, and on-field performance.
Informally, it’s known as the academic Heisman.

So, yes, that was a big deal for Kiser and his family.

“My parents raised me to do everything I can to the best of my abilities, so they invested in me going to good schools from an early age — great high schools, great middle schools,” Kiser said. “I went to a great University at UVA that had great influences and people to help me out. I took advantage of everything I had in my life and wanted to be the best at everything I was doing. On field, I was striving to be the best and then off field I was striving to be the best as well.

“That’s just the kind of guy I am,” Kiser continued. “That’s what my makeup is all about and I want to keep doing that in the future.”

It seems like it would be difficult to balance being so successful in both academics and athletics, but Kiser said his support system at Virginia enabled him to be successful in both areas.

“I’ve been doing it my whole life really,” Kiser said. “I went to the Gilman School in Bal
timore which is a pretty hard school, a college-preparatory school. But we also had great athletics as well, so I was balancing those then. Went to UVA and like I said, the athletic administration there is great at helping you, getting you the academic support you need. And the coaching staff is great. I had a lot of positive influences and a lot of great help, so they made it — I’m not going to say easy ,but they helped me along the way. I just took advantage of it all.”

Kiser graduated from UVA with a bachelor’s degree in foreign affairs and is pursuing a master’s degree in higher education.
“I’m halfway through that,” he said. “I’m very interested in athletic administration and hopefully when I get some time, I can go back and finish that.”

But until then, he’s focusing on football — a game he loves and is quite passionate about.

“I can remember early on in life when I was six years old, when I turned six the Ravens had won the Super Bowl,” Kiser said. “I was very big into football and my dad got us the Super Bowl tape and every Saturday I used to watch basically the whole season from start to finish. I would watch it every single Saturday and I would know all the players. For my sixth birthday, I got my own room and it was Ravens-themed. I got all the players autographs and just loved the game from an early age.

“I played flag football, played tackle football since I was eight, played high school ball. Just always been around football and being on a team, being around the guys, and just working hard and being selfless to achieve something greater than yourself,” Kiser continued. “That’s what this culture here with the Rams is all about. It’s we not me and it’s the standard and that’s just all about being bought in for the team. Just how I came up and coming up here is a great fit.”

I'm getting more and more excited about this kid...
giphy.gif