With the 147th pick in the draft the Rams select Micah Kiser ILB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Virginia-LB-Micah-Kiser-copy.png

Kiser has used his instincts, hustle, and powerful tackling to become one of the most productive linebackers (both against the run and as a pass rusher) in the country during his three years on the field with the Cavaliers. The two-time All-Maryland pick and Baltimore Sun's Co-Defensive Player of the Year in 2012, Kiser redshirted his first year in Charlottesville. He made 15 tackles in 12 games as a reserve as a freshman, tying for the team lead with nine stops on special teams. Kiser was installed in the middle of the Cavs' defense in 2015 and finished his second-team All-ACC sophomore year with a conference-leading 115 tackles (13 for loss, 7.5 sacks, three forced fumbles). The hits kept coming in his junior campaign, as Kiser was a first-team Associated Press All-American and All-ACC pick after ranking third in the country with 11.2 tackles per game (134 total, 10 for loss, 6.5 sacks, seven passes defensed) and tying for fifth in the FBS with five forced fumbles. He ranked among the nation's leaders in tackles again in 2017, receiving third-team AP All-American and first-team All-ACC honors with 145 stops (50 solo), 9.5 for loss, five sacks, four pass breakups, and two fumble recoveries.

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
Draft Projection
Round 4
Overview
Kiser's impressive production didn't happen on accident and teams will have to weigh his consistent ability to make plays with his modest athletic ability and overall play speed. Kiser is a banger built to play inside the box, but he has limited range and may not offer much coverage ability. Unless he runs well and puts together a solid workout, he could fall in this draft, but his toughness and production give him a shot to be a backup.
Strengths
  • Built with a sturdy base and banger's frame
  • Quick to diagnose and respond
  • Makes tackles near the line of scrimmage and doesn't wait on running backs to get to him
  • Recognizes cutback lanes and fills the fit to look up runners in the cutback lane
  • Tough guy who likes contact
  • Brings it to second level climbing blockers with stiff shoulder or a powerful punch
  • Has the play strength and leverage advantage to play under blocker's pads
  • Willing to fire downhill into his run fits to close off the lane
  • Never over-pursues
  • Tackle production and impact play totals are staggering with 397 tackles, 33.5 tackles for losses, 19 sacks and eight forced fumbles over three years as a starter
Weaknesses
  • Possesses thickly bundled hips that limit bend and movement
  • Short stepper short area trigger burst
  • Needs to do better job of dropping pad level as a tackler
  • Running backs can drive through his contact and fall forward for additional yardage
  • Makes a lot of tackles but will miss a lot of tackles as well
  • Below average play speed and burst create challenging tackle angles once he gets to the spot
  • Gradual in his change of direction movement
  • Doesn't have desired NFL range
  • Sluggish lateral quickness means he better diagnose early
  • Is a liability in man coverage
  • Will struggle to match patterns from man coverage

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Probably a special teams player at best. He's atrocious in coverage, and you have Barron and Littleton as linebackers who can do it all better than Kiser.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Probably a special teams player at best. He's atrocious in coverage, and you have Barron and Littleton as linebackers who can do it all better than Kiser.

Kid can play, was all over the field and a stud against the run.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Kid can play, was all over the field and a stud against the run.

He's still only a two down linebacker at his absolute best (and I personally think he's less than that). And we likely passed up Holland, Okoronkwo, and Ejiofor to select him.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He's still only a two down linebacker at his absolute best (and I personally think he's less than that). And we likely passed up Holland, Okoronkwo, and Ejiofor to select him.
Who are all likely just 2 down linebackers at best as well. The real pressure from our defense is from the DLine supported by the edge. We know Wade loves Ebukam and Longacre. We needed a run defending ILB which Kizer absolutely is.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Who are all likely just 2 down linebackers at best as well. The real pressure from our defense is from the DLine supported by the edge. We know Wade loves Ebukam and Longacre. We needed a run defending ILB which Kizer absolutely is.

Holland is an instant starter. Okoronkwo and Ejiofor are likely starters as well. Where's Kiser going to play? He's not going to take over Barron's spot. Littleton's proved more than him.

Again, I never saw the hype for Kiser.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
They wouldn't take a player just to play special teams. The dude can really get after the QB and shoot the gap. We have all pros in the backfield. We needed a thumper and got it.

Memento

Name
Jemma
They wouldn't take a player just to play special teams. The dude can really get after the QB and shoot the gap. We have all pros in the backfield. We needed a thumper and got it.

He's not going to play over Barron or Littleton. That means he's relegated to special teams. And if/when we cut Barron next year, I see us taking a three-down linebacker early.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Holland is an instant starter. Okoronkwo and Ejiofor are likely starters as well. Where's Kiser going to play? He's not going to take over Barron's spot. Littleton's proved more than him.

Again, I never saw the hype for Kiser.
If Wade felt Holland or any of the others were an instant starter and must have to you honestly think he wouldn't have picked him over the last two picks? Sorry you know I respect the hell out of you but I'm trusting Wade and not looking back about the picks. The last two make a lot of sense when you look at the players instead of who wasn't picked.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
[QUOTE="Memento, post: 1065788, member: 118"
Again, I never saw the hype for Kiser.[/QUOTE]

Okay I respect the due diligence you do every year, but have you ever watched a complete game that Kiser played in?

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
I don't get us fans perspective of 3rd day draft picks....never have.

What round was Little and EB drafted? How about Longacre? The guys who will most likely be starting this year are 2nd and 3rd day guys. We picked and traded for our starters. These are the guys who hopefully will be around in 3 years where the Suh's and others will most likely have moved on.

Memento

Name
Jemma
If Wade felt Holland or any of the others were an instant starter and must have to you honestly think he wouldn't have picked him over the last two picks? Sorry you know I respect the hell out of you but I'm trusting Wade and not looking back about the picks. The last two make a lot of sense when you look at the players instead of who wasn't picked.

I just...I'm frustrated with this draft. I'm sorry.

I'll cool my jets. Go Rams!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just...I'm frustrated with this draft. I'm sorry.

I'll cool my jets. Go Rams!
Which is fine but like I said on another site. We Rams fans loved drafts and loved the picks and our grades that made us win the draft. Yet now we have a great coaching staff and a good GM who's finally allowed to work with a coach instead of have picks forced on him. They did an awesome job last year. I'm going to trust this coaching staff and Snead and his scouts and enjoy winning in the fall instead of just winning the draft in April.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
A LB that can tackle downhill!!! Dude is a beast and will eat up anything between the tackles. High awareness guy as well. Type of player we've been missing. Massive production.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
You realize this is only how you see it, don't you? Yes he's not that mobile, but ALL the scouting reports say that he's excellent against the run. He's very strong, can hold his own against Olinemen, and is very good at shedding any blockers.
Where did you get the opinion from that you have of Kiser?

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Like this player, but was Griffen not on the table in the 4th? Trading out may have cost us a better player.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
He's not going to play over Barron or Littleton. That means he's relegated to special teams. And if/when we cut Barron next year, I see us taking a three-down linebacker early.
I like Littleton but he's the definition of a special teams guy. He started one game vs Tennesee but you can always upgrade players.

Kiser has lead the ACC in tackles three seasons in a row. But this is the 5th round. It's a literal crapshoot at this point.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You realize this is only how you see it, don't you? Yes he's not that mobile, but ALL the scouting reports say that he's excellent against the run. He's very strong, can hold his own against Olinemen, and is very good at shedding any blockers.
Where did you get the opinion from that you have of Kiser?
You realize this entire board is all of us just expressing our opinions?