Wilson: 9 of 14 for 94 yards, 0 tds

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
the bottom line for me is pretty simple. Denver played right into the hands of Seattle. Take a look at the MNF game where the Rams woulda, coulda and shoulda beat them.

How was this accomplished? They had 200+ yards rushing. Even with the greatest QB in the game, coming off the greatest single season in history, Denver was never going to beat Seattle throwing the ball 50 times. They pressure you into interceptions, and take advantage of every mistake.

As far as Wilson, when the game was still competitive, he missed badly on some very easy throws. While Seattle's defense was man-handling Denver's offense, after THREE SCORES it was still a one possession game (8-0).

The thing that I wonder about, given no one seems to be talking about it, is why would Seattle continue to throw the ball while up 29-0 well into the second half? Other than to somehow give Wilson the chance to pad his numbers, it just didn't make sense.

ALL of Wilson's numbers, (2 TD's) the add'l yardage, etc. were ONLY achieved after the game was over. On another forum, this would be referred to as "garbage stats", and nobody seems bothered by it. All it did for me, is cement my total lack of respect for Pete Carroll and his "hey look at me" reputation.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i had no problem with seaderrall keeping their foot on denver's throat. last thing they wanted was manning to sniff a comeback.

when talk of running up the score comes up i always think back to the oilers vs bills playoff game when the oilers were leading 31-3. their coaches diallled down the playcalling, let the bills back in the game and couldn't do anything to stop their momentum. you gotta keep teams with prolific offenses down when you have them down. never let them off the hook.

CoachO

Hall of Fame

i had no problem with seaderrall keeping their foot on denver's throat. last thing they wanted was manning to sniff a comeback.

when talk of running up the score comes up i always think back to the oilers vs bills playoff game when the oilers were leading 31-3. their coaches diallled down the playcalling, let the bills back in the game and couldn't do anything to stop their momentum. you gotta keep teams with prolific offenses down when you have them down. never let them off the hook.

That would normally be fine and good, but in those instances you sighted as past examples, those teams didn't have a defense performing at the level that Seattle's was performing at, be it in the Super Bowl, or all year long for that matter.

I just found it surprising, even for Pete Carroll, that he would take that approach, when that offense throughout the season, again was near the bottom of the league in pass attempts. I thought it was just rubbing salt in the wound. Denver had clearly mailed it in by that time, and as good as Seattle's defense was playing, that game was over.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
That would normally be fine and good, but in those instances you sighted as past examples, those teams didn't have a defense performing at the level that Seattle's was performing at, be it in the Super Bowl, or all year long for that matter.

I just found it surprising, even for Pete Carroll, that he would take that approach, when that offense throughout the season, again was near the bottom of the league in pass attempts. I thought it was just rubbing salt in the wound. Denver had clearly mailed it in by that time, and as good as Seattle's defense was playing, that game was over.
Well to me the rest of the story is that if Wilson doesn't complete those passes,he stops the clock and give the ball back to Manning,with Marshawn Lynch, not just rubbing salt but in a risky manner.
Dunno the shoe fits for me with Pete and without going back to watch and see how much the Broncos were begging them to throw I am thinking there was some Prima Donna Pete in there.

Ramifications

I guess QB is the most important position on the field unless we're talking about the niners or the Seahawks.

But on a less snarky note, this kid Wilson is very good. Better than Bradford? That's debatable, of course.

Dubious analogy time -- Sam is arriving at the party 2 hours late, and everyone's already knee deep, and he's got a lot of catching up to do.

I agree Wilson is very good, had.

Saying that isn't tantamount to dissing Bradford, they can both be good. Obviously he didn't need to do much, though I thought he made some stick throws with velocity, accuracy and timing to sustain drives in the first half, even if some led to FGs. And while some of his damage was in the second half, it isn't like the DEN defense gave up and rolled over. He finished with about 70% completion percentage, 2 TDs, no INTs, ran effectively and smart when needed with 123% QBR.

What about the NFC championship game that was far closer. Gutsy play for SEA to go for it on fourth down, but when their was a SF penalty, smart, heads up decision to put it in the end zone on a free play, he threw a perfect pass in one of the biggest plays of the game.

STL did bottle him up at home, if Jenkins bats down or INTs the 80 yard TD to Taint, I think SEA only has like 50-70 yards COMBINED, which might have been a historically low total. The blue print seems to involve a strong pass rush that contains him in the pocket (I think he had one first down run in the game).

If there was a do over of the 2012 draft, where would he go? Maybe to CLE, JAX, TB or MIA in the top 10? Where would he go if we shuffled the deck of all 32 teams, and given his youth and upside.

Some things he does well: His lack of height 5'10" is overblown because he has a textbook over the top release, so in effect, it might be comparable to Rivers with a three quarters delivery. He has Bree's-like timing and knack for squeezing the ball through cracks in the wall of OL/DL, doesn't get many batted down. Among the young mobile QBs, he is one of the smartest at avoiding kill shots, and when he scrambles, he is like a point guard with his head up looking to pass downfield FIRST. Great football IQ, he can read blitz and coverage schemes and generally gets them in good plays. IMO, outstanding character, work ethic and leadership intangibles. I'm not sure I could name 10 QBs I'd rather have right now, factoring in age (how much longer is Manning going to play?), where would you rank him approximately among league starters?

* At the time he made that pretty pass down the left sideline to Baldwin (from the DEN 43 to 6 yard line) when it was 5-0 with about 3:00 left in the first quarter, he was 4/4 on third down. On the next third down opp, he threw close to a perfect pass to Kearse that only he could catch, and the DB made a nice play stripping the ball on what easily could have been a TD, right before the FG.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ramifications

Jake Long. Adam Timmerman.

This reminds me of the people that didn't like the Brockers pick because we had picked so many DT busts in the past. You can't let your past dictate the future. You can only learn from the mistakes you made. IMO, this would be learning from those mistakes. Instead of going after the second tier OLs like we have in the past(and vastly overpaying them...Bell...Brown...), we go after arguably the best Center in the game. Kind of like we did with Long. And Mack hasn't been injured. I don't see him dropping off and playing like some of our FA busts have.

Some people thought DET shouldn't take Calvin Johnson because they busted on Rogers, Roy Williams and BMW, that would have horrifically misguided, and compounding the earlier mistakes with a far worse later one.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Why.

Why would you feel the need to even post something like that? I didn't say shit about him being a Dilfer. I commented on the fact that they had racked up 29 points without him having to do anything up to that point. Sure he ran around and extended plays, but 94 yards with no TDs, while the TEAM scored 29 points, speaks to the importance of having a good team in three phases of the game, and not having to rely on one guy (Manning) to do it all.

Shame on you, Dude. Why you calling Wilson a Dilfer :ROFLMAO:

Ramifications

Rewatching the game. While he did have a short field after the Chancellor INT, in his only third down passing opp on that drive, he made a smart pass to Taint in the end zone with the DBs back turned that ended up drawing a PI call, putting the ball on the one yard line, which Lynch punched in for a score.

Wilson contributed to getting the 8-0 and 15-0 leads (with three than four straight unanswered scores), which may have caused Manning to panic and indirectly lead to the two first half INTs preceding the first two SEA TDs, which, along with the Harvin return TD to open the second half, blew the game open.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rewatching the game. While he did have a short field after the Chancellor INT, in his only third down passing opp on that drive, he made a smart pass to Taint in the end zone with the DBs back turned that ended up drawing a PI call, putting the ball on the one yard line, which Lynch punched in for a score.

Wilson contributed to getting the 8-0 and 15-0 leads (with three than four straight unanswered scores), which may have caused Manning to panic and indirectly lead to the two first half INTs preceding the first two SEA TDs, which, along with the Harvin return TD to open the second half, blew the game open.

Seems like a bit of a reach to me and the refs shouldn't have called that PI in the end-zone if they were going to let Earl Thomas get away with a more egregious infraction a little bit later on.

Manning threw the first INT because he had pressure in his face, threw the ball early and didn't set his feet. It led to an inaccurate throw to the TE who wasn't able to find the ball in time to try and make a play on it(not sure he could have anyways).

The second INT was purely the OL. Same thing happened to same against Carolina. His arm got hit as he released it and it was a duck. Knowshon Moreno was the only one who could have done anything and he gave no effort on the play.(maybe he didn't see the ball?)

Ramifications

Seems like a bit of a reach to me and the refs shouldn't have called that PI in the end-zone if they were going to let Earl Thomas get away with a more egregious infraction a little bit later on.

Manning threw the first INT because he had pressure in his face, threw the ball early and didn't set his feet. It led to an inaccurate throw to the TE who wasn't able to find the ball in time to try and make a play on it(not sure he could have anyways).

The second INT was purely the OL. Same thing happened to same against Carolina. His arm got hit as he released it and it was a duck. Knowshon Moreno was the only one who could have done anything and he gave no effort on the play.(maybe he didn't see the ball?)

I don't disagree with some of that but it doesn't change the fact that it was a good throw and it did draw a PI which did lead to the Lynch score.

Of course Manning had pressure, but the fact that SEA had at that point 3-4 unanswered scores (partly due to defense but partly due to offense) may have contributed to the pressure on Manning to make something happen, and caused him to throw the panic INTs. QBs don't ALWAYS throw INTs under duress, he could have thrown the first one away, or pulled the second ball in if he was going to be hit releasing the ball, QBs do that sometimes.

Ultimately we will never know, but it could also be a reach to think Manning would have played exactly the same with less pressure if Wilson hadn't played as well and if the score was still just 2-0 throughout the first quarter, you don't really know to the contrary, either?

Obviously the awesome job by the SEA defense and OL helped tremendously (even than, when Wilson avoids a sack by scrambling, doesn't he get SOME credit and in turn help make the OL look better?), but I seem to think he had more of a contribution than some. He just missed a 5/5 100% third down conversion passing in the first quarter when it was still very much a game, nothing to sneer at (not that you are, but some seem to be).

Again, where would Wilson go if we did a do over of the 2012 draft?

Where does he rank among the 32 starters if we shuffle the deck and draft over, factoring his youth?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't disagree with some of that but it doesn't change the fact that it was a good throw and it did draw a PI which did lead to the Lynch score.

Of course Manning had pressure, but the fact that SEA had at that point 3-4 unanswered scores (partly due to defense but partly due to offense) may have contributed to the pressure on Manning to make something happen, and caused him to throw the panic INTs. QBs don't ALWAYS throw INTs under duress, he could have thrown the first one away, or pulled the second ball in if he was going to be hit releasing the ball, QBs do that sometimes.

Ultimately we will never know, but it could also be a reach to think Manning would have played exactly the same with less pressure if Wilson hadn't played as well and if the score was still just 2-0 throughout the first quarter, you don't really know to the contrary, either?

Obviously the awesome job by the SEA defense and OL helped tremendously (even than, when Wilson avoids a sack by scrambling, doesn't he get SOME credit and in turn help make the OL look better?), but I seem to think he had more of a contribution than some. He just missed a 5/5 100% third down conversion passing in the first quarter when it was still very much a game, nothing to sneer at (not that you are, but some seem to be).

Again, where would Wilson go if we did a do over of the 2012 draft?

Where does he rank among the 32 starters if we shuffle the deck and draft over, factoring his youth?

It was 8-0 when Manning threw the only INT that was actually his fault. I doubt the score had anything to do with it. I stand by my comment, you're reaching here.

Ramifications

And it was 15-0 when he threw the second INT, which again, he could have pulled down, maybe he was trying to make something happen because he was behind, which IMO Wilson did have something to do with.

Trying to talk about the earlier PI that could have been called doesn't in any way make Wilson's play less good, that was reaching on your part, I stand by what I said, too. You still don't know if Manning would have tried to make that second play that was an INT if he hadn't been behind 15-0, repeating yourself doesn't make it so, you are speculating just as much.

Nearly 5/5 on third down conversions (including a perfectly thrown touch pass in the end zone that couldn't have been picked, only the WR could have made a play on and was stripped at the last second) in the first quarter when it WAS still a game is nothing to sneer at (not that you were, but others seem to be). You disagree with THAT?

Again, where would he be drafted in the 2012 draft if there was a do over? Among all 32 starters, factoring age?