Will the Rams Use More Single-High Safety Looks This Season?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
New personnel and a new DC are going to add some new twists for sure.
I think we will be more aggressive overall defensively.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
With the addition of safeties Cam Curl and Camren Kitchens, I've been thinking about how their skill sets might influence our defensive alignments this season. Since we brought in Brandon Staley in 2020, we've relied heavily on a two-high safety look inspired by Vic Fangio's defense where we don't really distinguish between strong and free safety. But the strengths and versatility of Curl and Kitchens could make single-high safety schemes an actually viable option going forward.

Cam Curl brings a unique skillset to the table. Last season with the Commodes, he racked up a career-high 115 tackles and demonstrated impressive instincts in the open field. His man coverage skills have significantly improved since his rookie year, and he finished this past season with the second-highest man coverage grade among safeties. He can line up anywhere on the field and has great understanding of leverage. His ability to play in man coverage and to play near the line of scrimmage could allow for more single-high safety looks, with Kitchens patrolling deep. This setup could be particularly effective against offenses that heavily utilize tight ends and slot receivers, allowing Curl to match up in man coverage while Kitchens provides over-the-top support.

Camren Kitchens, our third-round draft pick, seems to project as a pure free safety with incredible range and ball skills. Over the last two seasons in college, he recorded 11 interceptions, showing potentially elite playmaking skills. Kitchens is known for his sideline-to-sideline range and speed, making him an ideal candidate for deep zone coverage. While open-field tackling has been the biggest weakness in his game, his potential as a game-changer is undeniable.

The flexibility that Curl and Kitchens bring might enable us to disguise our coverages more effectively. By showing a two-high shell pre-snap and rotating into a single-high look post-snap, we can create confusion for opposing quarterbacks and make our defense more unpredictable. While it’s probably unlikely that we’ll abandon our two-high safety foundation entirely, the addition of Curl and Kitchens could potentially lead to more single-high safety looks this season. What do you guys think?

I have heard it mentioned that Cam Curl could see some nickel backer this year.
Absolutely Loved the Curl signing. WAS. fans were beyond upset to lose him.
Have heard "Rising Star" beside his name many times.

Not sure what this years defense turns out to be , but it is bubbling with
young talent. Going to be Fun to watch.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
An aggressive defense that cause turn overs but gives up a few quick scores will be ok with me. At least after a quick score our O gets the ball. The 10 minute, 15 play drives just don't work for me. Even when they end in a field goal or best case a turn over in the end zone. Get the ball back to the O as soon as possible and the Rams will be ok. BE AGGRESSIVE

RamInferno

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@RamInferno I can’t get past the killer avatar!

:horns:
indeed. Very Sweet avatar @RamInferno
Thanks for the compliments on my avatar! I actually used a combination of ChatGPT and DALL·E 3 to create it. I provided a description of what I wanted (an intense, fiery ram to match my handle) and it generated this image for me. It's amazing what technology can do these days!

Ram65

Legend
I'll go with mixing things up. Let's see how much pressure they can get on the QB. The pressure allows flexibility in coverage. Hard to tell what they do in the defensive backfield or a least I'm not focusing enough on it.

RamInferno

UDFA
I'll go with mixing things up. Let's see how much pressure they can get on the QB. The pressure allows flexibility in coverage. Hard to tell what they do in the defensive backfield or a least I'm not focusing enough on it.
It is hard to tell on the TV broadcast, because you don't get to see the deep coverage until after the ball is thrown usually. I relied mostly on reports I read about the players to come up with my thoughts. But others here watch the all-22 film etc. so they can give more informed opinions.

WestCoastRam

Legend
They might mix in more single-high looks pre-snap situationaly.

They pretty much already do this. Rotating to single-high is based on the playcall. Basic Cover-1 and Cover-3 are you traditional single-high looks. Rams were above average in Cover-3 and slightly below in Cover-1 last year. The amount of Cover-1 might increase, they have more flexibility and better coverage skills on the backend.

In 2023, the Los Angeles Rams played Cover 3 42.0%, which was the second highest percentage of any NFL team last year

We were a Cover-3 team, I expect us to play a good deal less this year and a return to more 2 high (with rotating coverages still).

RamInferno

UDFA
In 2023, the Los Angeles Rams played Cover 3 42.0%, which was the second highest percentage of any NFL team last year

We were a Cover-3 team, I expect us to play a good deal less this year and a return to more 2 high (with rotating coverages still).
Interesting, but what makes you think that? I saw the new safeties and thought the opposite.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Interesting, but what makes you think that? I saw the new safeties and thought the opposite.
I'd have to look it up but sounded like Shula implied that they wanted to be more varied in their looks ala the Staley years. Look at it as them having a lot more flexibility to play many more coverages (Cover-1 as some say, but Cover -6, Cover-2, Cover-4).

I think some of high use of cover-3 was due to necessity with what we had to work with in the secondary in general and even in the front 7 when defending the run.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
IMO, they already mix up the coverages pre versus post snap. This is why McVay has kept the Fangio system as their "base". He likes the post snap changes. The way I understand it, for just 1 example, they can show a 2 high Safety look, then at the snap, change to a split coverage ; 1 safety and 2 CB's on LEFT side of the field forming a Diamond shape zone, the other Safety and CB on the RIGHT side of the formation play man coverage. So, based on what you're saying, Kinchens would always play the high point of any Zone, and Curl will play more Man coverage

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
You asked about single high. With all these investments on the defensive line, what about a 6-1 or 6-0 front? If we’re down at halftime in our first game, I’m rolling right into that against Goff.

Remember how poorly he played in that Miami game.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Kichens is a pure free safety.. and a solid pick for us.... but I'd submit that minus AD teams are going to run the ball on us more than in the past... which means we'll probably be in a base 3-4 with 2 ILBs and 2 safeties on the field more than we say the last couple of years...

And if that's the case, it's not a given that Kichens will jump over Quinton Lake on the depth chart right away. Certainly Lake's play in the slot and one on one with WRs last year should mean we'll see that even more this year.. with Lake being the Nickel back, and Kichens at... Free Safety...

But on a base 3-4.. Lake at Free safety is a solid option for us..

I just won't assume Kichens is going to have Lake on the bench like that right away

shovelpass

Hall of Fame

This is a chart from Cody Alexander, who gets his data from PFF. Not as high in percentage and not nearly as high in ranking for Cover-3. Rams were above average in Cover-4 and Cover-6. Thier numbers are pretty similar to the others using the same system, Dolphins, Panthers, Chargers.
RDT_20240517_0206447764797711070566213.jpg

Chargers 2022, because Staley didn't finish '23

1715931748924.png

I can't find anything from 2020 to see how different. I wouldn't think anything too drastic. Shula will have his own spin on the system.

Last edited:

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Disguise rates for '23. Rams led the league, followed by Panthers and Dolphins.
GES0FATW4AAjsH0.jpeg

Last edited:

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I just wanna see better tackling and more turnovers.
I want to see some hits that are borderline penalties.....not penalties, just borderline. I want to see the football on the ground after some of those hits. I want to see interceptions.

We all listed Edge, IOL, CB, DT, RB, ILB and S as needs in this off season. I think, going into the 2024 season, we should say "mission accomplished" except for ILB. But that can be done by bringing a hard hitting, sure tackling safety into the box. And by all accounts we have 2 new ones in Curl and Kinchens. Should be a lot of fun to watch.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I wish I knew what any of those columns were supposed to represent after the first one lol.
Yeah, fair point.
MOF is Middle Of the Field. It refers to the position of the safeties.
MOFO, Middle Of the Field Open. 2-high safeties.

MOFC, Middle Of the Field Closed.
Single-high.

The splits on the right show presnap/postsnap. O/O means you're showing 2-high presnap and stay 2-high postsnap. O/C or C/O means your pre/post snaps coverage changes.