Will Steve Avila Secure a Starting Spot at Guard for the Rams In 2023?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
It was being reported during camp that Shelton was clearly ahead of Bruss and that’s how it was being played out in practices and scrimmages, according to the camp reports we were reading here on ROD.
A lot of the ROD members that go to camp and file reports are stoned much of the time.

I know, I am the supplier to some of them.
tenor.gif

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My memory is that Bruss got bull-rushed to the ground in pass protection on a play early in the 1st preseason game, and it was WAY-over-blown. Then suffered a season-ending injury early in the 2nd pre-season game.
Allen2McVay says homie got....

M0uyNoZ.gif

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
My memory is that Bruss got bull-rushed to the ground in pass protection on a play early in the 1st preseason game, and it was WAY-over-blown. Then suffered a season-ending injury early in the 2nd pre-season game.
Yeah and who knows when that injury occurred. For all we know, he might have gotten a bit injured previous to that and tried to Play thru it - and that’s when he fully get injured and out for the year. Just one of many unknowns. So I’ll wait until TC & PS to make any definitive judgments on Bruss

dang

Legend
I want to be positive about Bruss, but to be honest, he underwhelmed as a rookie before his injury. Now, a player can look bad because of failure all around him. He got abused one-on-one if memory serves. BUT, it wasn't fair to expect him to be a pro bowler from the get go. I have high hopes for him going forward.
This. Again I’m hoping Bruss comes out swinging in 2023 but I’ve tempered my expectations. I’m not saying he can’t be a quality starter. I’m merely saying he hasnt shown it both before and as a result of the injury.

Tano

Legend
I worry about Noteboom staying healthy.

In the past 4 years, I think he is healthy for a few games and then is out for the season when he has played.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Not gonna lie Avila at Center with Jackson at LG would be real nice. Les mentioned their desire to put strong OGs next to the Center, but that entire plan was based around having a subpar Center so if they were to upgrade that spot it would achieve the same goal.

Still though I think the Rams love Allen. I think they value him so I expect Avila to be a plug 'n play LG for us. But either way I expect this dude to start for us year one and play well and maybe going forward we see this type of approach more frequently with the OL, the drafting of interior players specifically, that is, and sometimes targeting those guys who are higher on the board.

It's funny how just one OL draft pick can make me so excited to see this line this year. Feels good to see him added that's for damn sure.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Not gonna lie Avila at Center with Jackson at LG would be real nice. Les mentioned their desire to put strong OGs next to the Center, but that entire plan was based around having a subpar Center so if they were to upgrade that spot it would achieve the same goal.

Seems risky to me to be starting both Noteboom & Jackson on the OL unit, ... if Jackson goes down we may be F**ked at LT.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Seems risky to me to be starting both Noteboom & Jackson on the OL unit, ... if Jackson goes down we may be F**ked at LT.
Yes but it is the best 5 most likely. It just requires Boom to win the LT role. Which is also dicey, no telling how that's going to go but I am hopeful he can finally live up to the staff's trust in him.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Whit!!!!!! We Need You!

My 2024 starting & back-up OL remains :

LT) Noteboom (if healthy), Jackson
LG) Avila, Anchrum, McClendon
C) Allen, Shelton, Avila
RG) Bruss, Anchrum, McClendon, Zach Thomas
RT) Havenstein, Arcuri, Jackson

A couple from above will wind up on the practice squad where I could also see one or two of Grant Miller, Sean Magnin or Mike McCallister joining them.
jmo.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
My 2024 starting & back-up OL remains :

LT) Noteboom (if healthy), Jackson
LG) Avila, Anchrum, McClendon
C) Allen, Shelton, Avila
RG) Bruss, Anchrum, McClendon, Zach Thomas
RT) Havenstein, Arcuri, Jackson

A couple from above will wind up on the practice squad where I could also see one or two of Grant Miller, Sean Magnin or Mike McCallister joining them.
jmo.

When you start looking at the big picture, it appears some decent players are headed to the PS—possibly getting snatched up. What’s the most players the Rams will carry on the 53? 8?

What a difference one offseason makes.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
When you start looking at the big picture, it appears some decent players are headed to the PS—possibly getting snatched up. What’s the most players the Rams will carry on the 53? 8?

What a difference one offseason makes.

If it were me, I'd carry 9 or 10 on the 53. If Jourdan Rodrigue is correct in her earlier estimate that Brian Allen would become a CAP Casualty, then I'd go with 9.

If Allen is gone, then my 53 OL would consist of :

Noteboom
Jackson
Avila
Havenstein
Bruss
Shelton
Anchrum
Arcuri
McClendon

The Practice Squad :

OT/OG Zach Thomas
OG Grant Miller
C Sean Magnin
C Mike McCallister

I don't see any of these practice squad players being in any danger of being pick up.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Barring injury, my guess is that the Rams start the season with the following:

LT Noteboom
LG Avila
C Allen
RG Jackson
RT Havenstein

WestCoastRam

Legend
Thx OS. I'm not saying Bruss can't play in the NFl, I'm saying he need needs to work on his game, and I hope he did that this off season. I'd like to see him secure a spot on the OL.

Yeah, the guy clearly didn't have what it took to compete for a starting spot before his injury last year... and then the injury kept him from gaining valuable reps to improve his game all year.

That doesn't bode well for him going forward but it doesn't guarantee he can't get it all together. Guy has a tough road ahead. Definitely pulling for him.

oldnotdead

Legend
Don't sleep on Maginn at RG. The dude is a mauler type of OG. He was overlooked in the draft because of coming out of Wake Forest.

The guy I really want to watch this preseason is Mike McAllister. This guy is a pure center, with 3 years starting at Youngstown State. I think he can play at this level, but he will need good coaching and with Wendell he will get that. I think the Rams see another Shelton type of backup center in him.

I think right now Shelton has a 50/50 chance of starting at center in 2024. IMO Allen is the better center in terms of his defensive reads, but Shelton is physically the better player. If Allen can't get through this season injury free, I think Shelton comes in with the expectation to become the starter long term. I think Wendell sees that Shelton can be a good center, which is why I think he wanted him back. He's played RG as good or better than Austin Corbett.

Avila plugs the one real hole in the OL which is LG. I think Thomas, and Toner give them much better depth on the IOL. Thomas can move outside to RT if needed as well.

The bottom line is I really like the people they have on the OL this year. I think they have some legit depth with no more scurbs off the street. IMO this is a make or break year for both Anchrum and Arcuri. Neither one looked good last year when needed as both were clearly overmatched. Thomas and Toner can easily fill those roster spots as upgrades to the OL depth.