Will Steve Avila Secure a Starting Spot at Guard for the Rams In 2023?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I had similar hopes for Evans. Drafted around same spot and he didn’t do shot. Bruss reports (so far) are he’s not ready and then the early injury. Again , I have hope but keeping a plan B in my head.
Bruss reports from where? I haven’t seen anything on him at all this off season. Last year as a rookie in preseason with a lot of expectations laid on him?

I don’t see anything that happened last year being relevant now.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Bruss reports (so far) are he’s not ready and then the early injury. A

Can you point to anything specific? Like @blackbart, I don't recall seeing much this off-season.

Did quick research and came-up with just one article ... Ramswire (May 1st) by Skyler Carlin (I am not a fan). However, the title of the article is ...

Logan Bruss not expected to have any limitations during Rams' offseason program​

... and in the text McVay is quoted. It reads in part:
Sean McVay expects Bruss to be a full-go during the team’s offseason program.

“He’s good. He’s ready to go. He’s done a great job with Reggie (Scott) and his group attacking his rehab. You always want to monitor guys, but we start Phase 2 next week and physically, he looks good,” McVay said.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Bruss reports from where? I haven’t seen anything on him at all this off season. Last year as a rookie in preseason with a lot of expectations laid on him?

I don’t see anything that happened last year being relevant now.

There’s one thing from last year that’s absolutely relevant, IMO, and that’s where he was when he got hurt. He was being beat out of the starting RG position by Shelton. That tells me that it would be illogical to assume or pencil him in as the starter going into camp.

I know you didn’t say that, but that’s what has to be considered when you add Anchrum and McClendon to the mix.

Shelton, BTW, is still around.

Bruss will have to show more than last camp to keep off of the PS:
Noteboom
Jackson
Avila
Allen
Shelton
Havs

That’s 6 automatics unless Allen is cut and/or Noteboom can’t go by week 1. That would only be a temporary reprieve, though.

That leaves Bruss battling it out with McClendon and Anchrum and anybody else returning from last season still under contract.
You know, guys that actually played real snaps and looked decent down the stretch.

I sense you are not ruling out Bruss just because he got injured. That’s fair. I’m not either. I just think he will be fighting a tougher battle than he did last camp. The Rams have a few more options this time around.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
There’s one thing from last year that’s absolutely relevant, IMO, and that’s where he was when he got hurt. He was being beat out of the starting RG position by Shelton. That tells me that it would be illogical to assume or pencil him in as the starter going into camp.

I know you didn’t say that, but that’s what has to be considered when you add Anchrum and McClendon to the mix.

Shelton, BTW, is still around.

Bruss will have to show more than last camp to keep off of the PS:
Noteboom
Jackson
Avila
Allen
Shelton
Havs

That’s 6 automatics unless Allen is cut and/or Noteboom can’t go by week 1. That would only be a temporary reprieve, though.

That leaves Bruss battling it out with McClendon and Anchrum and anybody else returning from last season still under contract.
You know, guys that actually played real snaps and looked decent down the stretch.

I sense you are not ruling out Bruss just because he got injured. That’s fair. I’m not either. I just think he will be fighting a tougher battle than he did last camp. The Rams have a few more options this time around.
I thought they had high expectations for him starting right away but didn’t see any reports to suggest that as they got into preseason game.

With Anchrum also being out for the season I don’t see him being the answer snd who knows what happens with center. If it’s not Allen it has to be Shelton so that would Jack things up too.

Bruss going to the PS? I don’t see that he’s got to be top 7 minimum. Noteboom coming back from an Achilles before the season starts I think is a stretch too.

I don’t think they retained any of the JAGS who were plugging holes at the end of last year.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
There’s one thing from last year that’s absolutely relevant, IMO, and that’s where he was when he got hurt. He was being beat out of the starting RG position by Shelton.

We sure about that?

Could that just be conjecture based on the depth chart to start Training Camp and Pre-season?

I really don't know.

All I know are a few simple facts.
Coleman Shelton was the Super Champ Rams' top interior OL-reserve in 2021.
He was a veteran, and was a free agent they re-signed.
Logan Bruss was third round compensatory pick, drafted 104th overall.

Shelton, as a veteran who was either a starter or top-reserve was unlikely to play at all in the pre-season.
I don't believe he played in any of the three pre-season games.
Bruss, as a rookie, was going to play in the pre-season.

Is it possible McVay and the coaches decided to not simply anoint the rookie as the Day 1 Camp Starter but wanted to make him earn it while also recognizing the veteran, top 2021 reserve interior-OL was re-signed.

Again, I really don't know.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

Not sure who you may be talking about, other than those you already named (Arcuri?).

Chandler Brewer, Ty Nsekhe, Matt Skura and Oday Aboushi are all gone.

Zach Thomas did not play last year but AJ Arcuri did start one game.

Other than the undrafted free agents, the Rams currently have eleven Offensive Linemen.
Havenstein at RT
Noteboom and Jackson at LT
Avila, Shelton, Bruss and Anchrum at Guard
Allen at Center ... Avila and Shelton also candidates
plus, McClendon, Arcuri and Thomas

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can you point to anything specific? Like @blackbart, I don't recall seeing much this off-season.

Did quick research and came-up with just one article ... Ramswire (May 1st) by Skyler Carlin (I am not a fan). However, the title of the article is ...

Logan Bruss not expected to have any limitations during Rams' offseason program​

... and in the text McVay is quoted. It reads in part:
Sean McVay expects Bruss to be a full-go during the team’s offseason program.

“He’s good. He’s ready to go. He’s done a great job with Reggie (Scott) and his group attacking his rehab. You always want to monitor guys, but we start Phase 2 next week and physically, he looks good,” McVay said.
I want to be positive about Bruss, but to be honest, he underwhelmed as a rookie before his injury. Now, a player can look bad because of failure all around him. He got abused one-on-one if memory serves. BUT, it wasn't fair to expect him to be a pro bowler from the get go. I have high hopes for him going forward.

Ram65

Legend
Avila is penciled in to be a starter. Since he has experience at different positions the Rams have options to move him around depending on how the others pan out.

I expect Bruss to give everyone else a run for their money.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I feel like there’s a good chance either Bruss or Anchrum can become a needed beast on the other side for us. Was Anchrum ever in the center conversation?

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
We sure about that?

Could that just be conjecture based on the depth chart to start Training Camp and Pre-season?

I really don't know.

All I know are a few simple facts.
Coleman Shelton was the Super Champ Rams' top interior OL-reserve in 2021.
He was a veteran, and was a free agent they re-signed.
Logan Bruss was third round compensatory pick, drafted 104th overall.

Shelton, as a veteran who was either a starter or top-reserve was unlikely to play at all in the pre-season.
I don't believe he played in any of the three pre-season games.
Bruss, as a rookie, was going to play in the pre-season.

Is it possible McVay and the coaches decided to not simply anoint the rookie as the Day 1 Camp Starter but wanted to make him earn it while also recognizing the veteran, top 2021 reserve interior-OL was re-signed.

Again, I really don't know.

It was being reported during camp that Shelton was clearly ahead of Bruss and that’s how it was being played out in practices and scrimmages, according to the camp reports we were reading here on ROD.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Not sure who you may be talking about, other than those you already named (Arcuri?).

Chandler Brewer, Ty Nsekhe, Matt Skura and Oday Aboushi are all gone.

Zach Thomas did not play last year but AJ Arcuri did start one game.

Other than the undrafted free agents, the Rams currently have eleven Offensive Linemen.
Havenstein at RT
Noteboom and Jackson at LT
Avila, Shelton, Bruss and Anchrum at Guard
Allen at Center ... Avila and Shelton also candidates
plus, McClendon, Arcuri and Thomas

I’m not bagging on Bruss or rooting against him. I would hate for that high of a pick bust, but I still think there will be more competition on the IOL than last year.

That’s a good thing, right?

Malibu

Pro Bowler
First Guard off the board. We had our choice and we chose Avila. Yes I think he starts and excels right away.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
VetRamFan and I watched the OL closely last TC and Bruss was a disappointment to watch from the very first day.
We kept saying "wait til the pads go on", didn't change. Bruss was slow with his feet, bad hand placement and just looked lost. Got his ass handed to him a lot.

OL will be on my radar starting on the 1st day of TC. It will be telling who they like as the starting OL when they line up the 1st team O going at the 2nd team D.

Going to be a bitch tracking all the new numbers on jerseys.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll be the lone negative voice (I know shocking isn't it) and say no.

He'll secure the starting center position and it'll be
LT Boom
LG Jackson
C Avilla
RG Bruss
RT Havenstein

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
First Guard off the board. We had our choice and we chose Avila. Yes I think he starts and excels right away.
Correction first IOL off the board, he isn't just a guard :D

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
VetRamFan and I watched the OL closely last TC and Bruss was a disappointment to watch from the very first day.
We kept saying "wait til the pads go on", didn't change. Bruss was slow with his feet, bad hand placement and just looked lost. Got his ass handed to him a lot.

OL will be on my radar starting on the 1st day of TC. It will be telling who they like as the starting OL when they line up the 1st team O going at the 2nd team D.

bubba, I don't doubt what you say. How could the scouts have gotten it all so wrong? Surely they would notice "slow feet" while watching him play in college? They must have seen something in him as our first draft pick in 2022...

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I have nothing but love for the two of you and can't express how much I appreciate the work you two do in camp and enjoy the fun you have while doing it. That said I'm going to wait for McVay to say he, Snead and the scouts for the Rams and around the NFL to say they had it wrong and Bruss can't play in the NFL.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Thx OS. I'm not saying Bruss can't play in the NFl, I'm saying he need needs to work on his game, and I hope he did that this off season. I'd like to see him secure a spot on the OL.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I'll be the lone negative voice (I know shocking isn't it) and say no.

He'll secure the starting center position and it'll be
LT Boom
LG Jackson
C Avilla
RG Bruss
RT Havenstein

Avila at C could be an interesting way to get to our best 5, for sure.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I want to be positive about Bruss, but to be honest, he underwhelmed as a rookie before his injury.
My memory is that Bruss got bull-rushed to the ground in pass protection on a play early in the 1st preseason game, and it was WAY-over-blown. Then suffered a season-ending injury early in the 2nd pre-season game.