Will Steve Avila Secure a Starting Spot at Guard for the Rams In 2023?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
However, there were many camp reports that stipulated he was being outplayed by both Shelton & Anchrum so do you remember that?
Not sure if you mean posters at practices, or media reports but 'many camp reports'? No, not really.

There were plenty of reports that Coleman Shelton was expected to start at RG but that made sense to me. Shelton was the top reserve interior-OL on a Super Championship team, and had been re-signed as a free agent. For him to open Camp as the starter at RG made perfect sense. A rookie, drafted 104th overall, would need to earn a starting job.

Now the post by @WestCoastRam is interesting to me. The fact that he STILL has the first preseason game recorded is impressive! And a little disturbing. @WestCoastRam re-watched the game a few hours ago; and I accept his analysis. However, I never wrote that Bruss 'had one bad play'. I did write that his pass-blocking was OK and he struggled with games and stunts, which would refer to the 'Ole' plays West Coast mentioned.

Think we all agree that the Rams need big improvement on the O-line; and that Logan Bruss is both a Question Mark and a Hope for that needed improvement.

Now as fellow Rams' fans, let's try to be helpful and productive; and come-up with some hobbies for @WestCoastRam so he does not need to watch pre-season games from a year ago!

Tano

Legend
Not sure if you mean posters at practices, or media reports but 'many camp reports'? No, not really.

There were plenty of reports that Coleman Shelton was expected to start at RG but that made sense to me. Shelton was the top reserve interior-OL on a Super Championship team, and had been re-signed as a free agent. For him to open Camp as the starter at RG made perfect sense. A rookie, drafted 104th overall, would need to earn a starting job.

Now the post by @WestCoastRam is interesting to me. The fact that he STILL has the first preseason game recorded is impressive! And a little disturbing. @WestCoastRam re-watched the game a few hours ago; and I accept his analysis. However, I never wrote that Bruss 'had one bad play'. I did write that his pass-blocking was OK and he struggled with games and stunts, which would refer to the 'Ole' plays West Coast mentioned.

Think we all agree that the Rams need big improvement on the O-line; and that Logan Bruss is both a Question Mark and a Hope for that needed improvement.

Now as fellow Rams' fans, let's try to be helpful and productive; and come-up with some hobbies for @WestCoastRam so he does not need to watch pre-season games from a year ago!
What? It isn't okay to watch football 24/7?

Tano

Legend
OK ... you and West Coast Ram need to see other people.

The Longest Yard Waterboy GIF

WestCoastRam

Legend

You can watch any game you want going back to 2009 with an NFL account. And if people are interested enough, they can go back and watch and form an opinion on the accuracy of our accounts. I think @Allen2McVay and I are seeing fairly different things as that's not what I was referring to with the "Ole" comment. I wish they were stunts. Still hope he picks it up!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
You can watch any game you want going back to 2009 with an NFL account. And if people are interested enough, they can go back and watch and form an opinion on the accuracy of our accounts. I think @Allen2McVay and I are seeing fairly different things as that's not what I was referring to with the "Ole" comment. I wish they were stunts. Still hope he picks it up!

There is a new OC Coach which should change things up when it comes to development. There is also a bigger group of O’Lineman.The Depth imo has never been better since Sean Mcvay has been The Rams HC.
—If Shelton is the starting RG ? I’d say The Rams are in Trouble & he would be the WEAK LINK on offense.If he could beat out Brian Allen then that would be worth nothing.That Rodriquez chick LOST all my respect on Her reporting saying Brian Allen was going to be cut in June. Here we are & all I see is him as The Rams starting Center & in the middle of everything there doing Upfront.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
LG is Upgraded ,which is going to be HUGE.Now who starts at LT & LG will be what I’ll be watching.
IMO I’d say A’Jackson is going to be a starter.
Bruss or Noteboom start?
There still is a lot of time & a player could surprise us all though.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I want to clarify some misunderstandings that folks have posted in this thread.

I attended all the open Training Camp practices last year and posted reports here at ROD detailing a lot of what went on. If some of you folks with opinions of who is in line to start on the OL would go back and read those reports you would know :

At the very start of TC in 11 on 11 drills, the 1st team OL was Noteboom, Jackson, Allen, ANCHRUM and Havenstien. That didn't change for the most part. they did put in Shelton at C and LG on occasion. Bruss was RG on the 2nd team as was Evans LG and Shelton C

When the 1st pre-season game came around, McVay did his usual thing, sitting out most of his starters, Noteboom, AJackson, Allen, ANCHRUM and Havenstien. Bruss got the start at LG and got injured. It was clear to everyone who they liked as thier starting OL

Now coming into OTA's and TC next month Rams have a new OL coach and we may see some changes, but I'm willing to bet all my ROD $$ that the 1st team OL will be AJackson LT, Avila LG, Allen C, ANCHRUM RG and Havenstien RT, I base this on what I saw in camp last season.

McMay and Stafford like Allen at C, and he'll play there until his knee gives out and then Shelton steps in. Avila stays a LG and learn the line calls and hopefully he starts at C next season.

Also from what I've gleaned from different sources, (Athletic, Rams-wire, SB Nation, Jordan rorique) Noteboom is not ready and may not be for til after the season starts. Bruss is on track for TC, and I hope he does better than he did last year.

WestCoastRam

Legend
There is a new OC Coach which should change things up when it comes to development. There is also a bigger group of O’Lineman.The Depth imo has never been better since Sean Mcvay has been The Rams HC.
—If Shelton is the starting RG ? I’d say The Rams are in Trouble & he would be the WEAK LINK on offense.If he could beat out Brian Allen then that would be worth nothing.That Rodriquez chick LOST all my respect on Her reporting saying Brian Allen was going to be cut in June. Here we are & all I see is him as The Rams starting Center & in the middle of everything there doing Upfront.

She didn't report that, she suggested that they could go that direction (and there's some interesting comments from her on where things could go now in her latest article). But hey, I'm sure she'll lose some sleep over your lost respect.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
One thing I'm really looking forward to is that I think the interior OL and left side will be much more powerful this year, if health cooperates.
I don't see Boom back.. and Jackson and Avila together should just move people. The run game should be fun.
That would remind me of the Saffold, Whitworth days..... That would be nice.

dang

Legend
I want to clarify some misunderstandings that folks have posted in this thread.

I attended all the open Training Camp practices last year and posted reports here at ROD detailing a lot of what went on. If some of you folks with opinions of who is in line to start on the OL would go back and read those reports you would know :

At the very start of TC in 11 on 11 drills, the 1st team OL was Noteboom, Jackson, Allen, ANCHRUM and Havenstien. That didn't change for the most part. they did put in Shelton at C and LG on occasion. Bruss was RG on the 2nd team as was Evans LG and Shelton C

When the 1st pre-season game came around, McVay did his usual thing, sitting out most of his starters, Noteboom, AJackson, Allen, ANCHRUM and Havenstien. Bruss got the start at LG and got injured. It was clear to everyone who they liked as thier starting OL

Now coming into OTA's and TC next month Rams have a new OL coach and we may see some changes, but I'm willing to bet all my ROD $$ that the 1st team OL will be AJackson LT, Avila LG, Allen C, ANCHRUM RG and Havenstien RT, I base this on what I saw in camp last season.

McMay and Stafford like Allen at C, and he'll play there until his knee gives out and then Shelton steps in. Avila stays a LG and learn the line calls and hopefully he starts at C next season.

Also from what I've gleaned from different sources, (Athletic, Rams-wire, SB Nation, Jordan rorique) Noteboom is not ready and may not be for til after the season starts. Bruss is on track for TC, and I hope he does better than he did last year.
Id like to see Avila take over OC next year. If so I see the Rams moving AJax to OG and pursuing a legit stud LT. Do you think AJax is the answer at LT or will they have to draft/trade for one?

WestCoastRam

Legend
I suspect that Avila will stay at G during his career here and will only play center as a backup, the kid has outgrown C in mass and his best assets are snot-knocking people at G, you'd effectively be diminishing what he does best by moving him to center.

Rams will have Shelton for next year at center (I believe) and guard is the far more valuable spot to have a guy in. Avila would have to drop a fair amount of weight (at least 25ish lbs) to improve the agility he would need at center.

Why not just keep him at what he's shown he can do best (well, what we project him to do best) at the more important position?

Last edited:

nighttrain

Legend
Id like to see Avila take over OC next year. If so I see the Rams moving AJax to OG and pursuing a legit stud LT. Do you think AJax is the answer at LT or will they have to draft/trade for one?
this season will answer all the QUESTIONS about Jackson
train

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Plenty of negative comments on Logan Bruss; and I don't really understand it.

Personally, I have no idea if the guy can play.

If some posters went to the open practices last August, and watched Bruss get abused ... OK.

If some posters read reports, that I may have missed, saying how badly he looked in Camp ... OK.

But if posters are going off the limited tape from the preseason games ... Not OK in my opinion.

Bruss got injured early in the 2nd preseason game. He looked like a rookie in the 1st game, where he got bull-rushed to the ground on one of the first pass plays. Are opinions based on that one play!?!
Bruss apologist!

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
He did not play well in preseason, but this year it's a blank page and there is a new sheriff in town in OL Coach Ryan Wendell so let's see how Bruss looks this year.
Definitely not enough to go on from last year to draw any real conclusions. I also agree that having a new OL coach can make a big difference. It is entirely possible that Bruss (and others) might fit better under a new coach.

In the end, if Bruss can establish himself as a solid starter this year, and Avila plays up to expectations, that will bode very well for the future of our OL.