Will Andrew Whitworth be back next season?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I definitely want Whit back.

He could push to guard if need be, like said previously. Just a solid football player and person.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The Los Angeles Rams are due for an offensive line makeover
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2019/...ffensive-line-andrew-whitworth-rodger-saffold
The Rams’ O-line was bolstered with the addition of Andrew Whitworth two years ago. Is it time to prepare for his inevitable departure?

By Joey The Jerk Feb 13, 2019,

Heading into the 2017 season, Los Angeles Rams QB Jared Goff had a lot to deal with. He had the stink of his rookie season following him around, a new coach in Sean McVay that was going to implement a completely new offense to learn, and he had a crop of new receivers in WR Robert Woods, WR Sammy Watkins, and WR Cooper Kupp.

But there was one person that helped Goff’s transition much smoother than it otherwise would have been: LT Andrew Whitworth.

The veteran left tackle was a big signing for the Rams two years ago, and as Ol’ AW heads into the final year of his three-year, $36m dollar contract, it’s abundantly clear that the acquisition was a huge success. However, there is now speculation that Whitworth could retire instead of going through another year of wear and tear on his body.

And with OL Rodger Saffold III due to become a free agent and C John Sullivan potentially at his career’s end as well,there could be a scenario where the only returning players to the LA Rams next season would be OL Austin Blythe and OL Rob Havenstein. Solid guys, for sure — but are they leaders that can push the offense to new heights?

Simply put, the Rams need to begin executing a plan for a future without Whitworth, Saffold and Sullivan.

With Whitworth being a natural leader in the locker room and in the community, it’s no easy task. It’s just that so much of the success of this team rides on the effectiveness of the blocking. Goff needs a pocket that’ll hold for several seconds. RB Todd Gurley needs some holes on the left side.

The Rams used the 2018 NFL Draft to shore up the O-line unit with some youth. OL Joseph Noteboom and C Brian Allen could be central contributors in the years to come. Noteboom’s future will likely be somewhere on the left side of the line while Allen might be pushed into a starting role next year with Sullivan’s potential departure. Even with those two, the Rams will need more.

As the 2019 offseason kicks into gear, one thing is clear — the offensive line will be changing drastically — if not this year, then in 2020. The free agency market for offensive lineman is always difficult to work with, because guys like LT Trent Brown will most likely be overpaid by a desperate team. So, the question is: are the Rams that desperate team if Whitworth does decide to hang up his cleats?

Any team that makes it to the Super Bowl struggles to keep up that level of success in the following seasons. It’s almost impossible to keep the roster together with the limitations of the salary cap.

But if the Rams are able to extend their window once Jared Goff completes his rookie contract, the team is going to need a new Andrew Whitworth.

Easier said than done.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams aren't overpaying a LT if Whit retires. What a dumb question.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Andrew Whitworth will try to make retirement decision by March 13
By: Cameron DaSilva | February 14, 2019 10:45 am ET

.............Whitworth, 37, is considering retirement and hasn’t yet decided whether he’ll play another season in the NFL. He’s the oldest offensive lineman in the league and while he’s still playing at a high level, he knows there’s life beyond football.........................

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/14/nfl-rams-andrew-whitworth-retirement-new-league-year/

dang

Legend
I definitely want Whit back.

He could push to guard if need be, like said previously. Just a solid football player and person.
I think we have to take some steps towards the best NFL OL v2.0...perhaps...

Noteboom........Saffold........Blythe.............Whit.............Havenstein
OT FA..............Demby.........Allen.......OG Draft Pick........Williams

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Offseason Outlook: What are the options for L.A. if Andrew Whitworth retires?
yxqee8vl8lffkokpp7ky.jpg

Myles Simmons
https://www.therams.com/news/offsea...e-options-for-l-a-if-andrew-whitworth-retires
When looking at the Rams since the start of 2017, there may not be a single player who has made more of an impact on and off the field than left tackle Andrew Whitworth.He is unquestionably one of the most important leaders in the Rams locker room, and helps set the standard with his high level of play down in and down out. You also may have noticed how he’s nearly always the first one on the field from the sideline when the offense takes over a possession, sprinting to where the rest of the team will huddle.

And off the field, Whitworth was the NFL Players Association 2019 Alan Page Community Award winner, having led Los Angeles’ player efforts to support the Thousand Oaks community after the tragic Borderline shooting and the devastating wildfires that ravaged the area.

At the age of 37, Whitworth has a decision to make: Will he return for another season?He has one year remaining on the three-year contract he signed with L.A. at the outset of free agency back in March 2017. And he’s clearly still performing at a high level. While it’s not everything, Pro Football Focus rated Whitworth as its No. 5 offensive tackle in the regular season and put him No. 29 on its top 101 players of 2018.Just after the conclusion of the Super Bowl, Whitworth said he didn’t know if he would retire.“I'll let the offseason play out and kind of see what's best for the franchise, what's best for me and see what happens,” Whitworth said on Feb. 3.

Head coach Sean McVay said just after Super Bowl LIII that the Rams will let Whitworth take the time he needs in order to make the decision that’s best for him and his family.Whitworth then told Petros and Money of AM 570 LA on Feb. 13 that he’ll ideally make a decision on whether or not to retire by the start of free agency on March 13.

If Whitworth returns, that would be a strong boost for continuity with the Rams’ five up front.But if Whitworth decides to retire, the club does have a strong internal candidate to replace him.L.A. selected Joseph Noteboom at No. 89 overall in the third round during the 2018 NFL Draft. Noteboom played in spot duty for Los Angeles on the offensive line, totaling 78 snaps in his rookie year. He also played 20 percent of the team’s special teams reps.
i5tvhlqldvbp5brmxyrs.jpg

But perhaps more importantly, Noteboom took significant practice reps throughout the season. For much of 2018, Whitworth and Sullivan would have veteran rest days on Thursday — the Rams’ most strenuous practice of the week. That meant both Noteboom and fellow rookie center Brian Allen were able to practice with the first-team offense.

Right guard Austin Blythe went through the same process in 2017 — filling in at center for Sullivan during practice — and it gave him the kind of experience that paid dividends in 2018, as he stepped in at right guard and played each of the Rams’ 1,100 offensive snaps during the regular season.And so while Los Angeles would certainly like to have Whitworth back in the fold for next year, with run game coordinator/offensive line coach Aaron Kromer in the fold, the Rams should still be in good shape even if Whitworth decides to call it a career.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/25/rams-hoping-andrew-whitworth-decides-to-come-back/
Rams hoping Andrew Whitworth decides to come back
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 25, 2019

After the Super Bowl, Rams left tackle Andrew Whitworth said he was unsure if he had just played his last game. He remains unsure about continuing to play or retiring.

Peter King writes in today’s Football Morning in America that the Rams are praying Whitworth comes back for one more season, but he’s still taking his time and plans to meet with the team after the Scouting Combine to discuss his future.

Whitworth is set to make $10.7 million in 2019, which is a good deal for a good left tackle. If Whitworth walks away, the Rams might have to trust 2018 third-round pick Joseph Noteboom, who played in all 16 games last season but didn’t start any, to take over the left tackle job.

Complicating matters is that left guard Rodger Saffold may leave in free agency. If the Rams lost both their left guard and their left tackle, that would raise some big questions about the protection Jared Goff will get, and leave a big hole in the NFC champion’s offense.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm not worried in the least irt Big Whit retiring. He admits he loves the game still, he has his health, he has a loaded team waiting for him, and he'll get a nice payday with the final extension the Rams probably have ready for him in Kevin's office.

I think we'll see Boom slot right in at LG, Allen will slot in at C, and our needs at that point are more depth options so midround draft picks and maybe a cheap FA or two to supplement depth and maybe give us some competition.

Have to admit I'm a bit concerned about losing Saff. But he deserves this huge payday he has coming, and best of luck to him and family in his next stop.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
[av]http://www.moviewavs.com/0053148414/MP3S/Movies/Caddyshack/letsgo.mp3[/av]

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I am pretty confident that starting left OG & now UFA Saffold will soon be on a road looking for Itta Bena MS & will not return to the Rams in 2019. I see way too much easy available serious folding money coming from many other NFL team that will become unfolded.....in Saffold's direction

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apq46lA0uSM
We know that Andrew has a scheduled meeting with the Rams Org soon after the Combine has concluded & the Rams Org. returns to LA the latter half of the first week of March....days before the March 13the deadline date set by Andrew.

Kromer knows by now he needs to get much better play out of the center post on passing downs. He knows Demoff is looking hard @ that $6.25 million cap hit that Sullivan has if he remains, plus Sully's option must be exercised by 3/4/2019. Demoff has very options to find some chunk of cap funds to add to the current $23.6 million from declining weak link starters.

Kromer's top plan replacement for Saffold's LG starting post is Noteboom. But if the worse case occurred Andrew retires then Kromer has to go to another not good options. Both of the next options include his top two prospects to be the needed new starting center this season, mainly Brian Allen.

Here in the next few weeks the Rams easily could be in a tight spot where the Rams OL may be in a position to replace 3 veteran starters that provided the Rams with 33 yrs worth of starting experience with Noteboom/ Demby/ Allen with zero starting experience between them.

If Andrew does come back for one more season Kromer should be able to cover the other two problem vacancies without too much major demise in his OL.

WestCoastRam

Legend
As the saying goes, "The body keeps the score." My guess is how his body feels will far more determine whether he comes back or not than desire, camaraderie, and unfinished business.

My guess: Whit won't know that till he hits his decision date. And sees how he feels physically.

Ram65

Legend
Kromer knows by now he needs to get much better play out of the center post on passing downs. He knows Demoff is looking hard @ that $6.25 million cap hit that Sullivan has if he remains, plus Sully's option must be exercised by 3/4/2019. Demoff has very options to find some chunk of cap funds to add to the current $23.6 million from declining weak link starters.

That's interesting. If I understand this right, then the Rams could not pick up his option and resign him to a lesser amount with the $1 Million cap hit. Seems he could be fighting for his starting job so 5.25 million pay could high after a down year and becoming a backup.. I thought the Rams gave him a bit much last year. he has been mentioned as a cut. I would keep him at a lower pay if possible.

Thinking Whitworth was just upset after the SB game. He play two more years and give the Rams a little more cap space this year. I think he comes back for at least one more year.

Hoping Rams and Saffold can agree on a deal.

Psycho_X

Legend
I fully expect Noteboom to be either are starting LT or starting LG next season. If Whit retires he’ll start at LT and the rams will do what they need to to resign Saffold from the savings. If Whit comes back I think the rams will have to let Saffold walk and play Noteboom there for a season while grooming some rookies. Unless Saffold takes a really good home team discount but he’ll get a significant contract offer from someone.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
That's interesting. If I understand this right, then the Rams could not pick up his option and resign him to a lesser amount with the $1 Million cap hit. Seems he could be fighting for his starting job so 5.25 million pay could high after a down year and becoming a backup.. I thought the Rams gave him a bit much last year. he has been mentioned as a cut. I would keep him at a lower pay if possible.

Thinking Whitworth was just upset after the SB game. He play two more years and give the Rams a little more cap space this year. I think he comes back for at least one more year.

Hoping Rams and Saffold can agree on a deal.

If the Rams are forced to move on without both AW & RS then they can afford to keep Sullivan with ease as their OL leader:cautious:....not a real good thought IMO.

However, that may a must in order to keep some resemblance of the Rams OL as it was in 2018. I would have hoped to gets some improvement in the overall performance @ OC & not to keep a trending downward starting OL'er past his prime & having big issues in pass blocking.

I am Watching the veteran John Sullivan situation closely here where the Rams have 3 possible moving pieces in this starting Ram OL @ the same time trying to keep them together as best they can. OTC says March 2 is the deadline for the Rams on Sullivan to exercise his 2019 option. So there is a difference in dates between spotrac & OTC.:thinking:

wild ram

Rookie
Name
Erick
If the Rams are forced to move on without both AW & RS then they can afford to keep Sullivan with ease as their OL leader:cautious:....not a real good thought IMO.

However, that may a must in order to keep some resemblance of the Rams OL as it was in 2018. I would have hoped to gets some improvement in the overall performance @ OC & not to keep a trending downward starting OL'er past his prime & having big issues in pass blocking.

I am Watching the veteran John Sullivan situation closely here where the Rams have 3 possible moving pieces in this starting Ram OL @ the same time trying to keep them together as best they can. OTC says March 2 is the deadline for the Rams on Sullivan to exercise his 2019 option. So there is a difference in dates between spotrac & OTC.:thinking:

Sullivan option will be a big reason Whitworth stays or goes. I’m not sure how that will play into Saffold as well ? The Rams need to keep Saffold or Whitworth or they will be in big trouble next season.
I use to call them the Big 5,but the Big 3 is what it is really about.. it is about relationships at this point for Whit.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Whit just put up an Instagram post saying (paraphrasing)...

"A ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what they're built for.

I can't wait to ride with these boys again!!!"

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
I think that all but confirms it! That’s huge news. I think this team is gonna take it to another level for this man. He’s, no pun intended, the anchor of this team.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/9216/andrew-whitworth

1091240298.jpg.0.jpg

Rams LT Andrew Whitworth tweeted he "can’t wait for the opportunity to ride with the boys again."
  • Whitworth turned 37 in December, but he still maintained his spot as one of the better left tackles in the league last season. His decision to return is a big boost for the Rams as they look to make another run to the Super Bowl. Whitworth is scheduled to make $11.5 million this season, the final of his contract.

Source: Andrew Whitworth on Twitter
    26 Feb 2019, 08:35
https://www.therams.com/news/andrew-whitworth-will-return-for-2019
Andrew Whitworth will return for 2019
Myles Simmons

There's good news for the Rams before the NFL Combine begins this week. Left tackle Andrew Whitworth tweeted on Tuesday morning that he will return to the Rams for his 14th professional season in the NFL.

“A ship is safe in the harbor, but that is not what ships are built for”
-John A. Shed

Can’t wait for the opportunity to ride with the boys again! #keepmovingforward #squadup#letsride pic.twitter.com/4KoSlPJUXP

— Andrew Whitworth (@awhitworth77) February 26, 2019
Whitworth had previously said that he would take time to make the decision as to whether or not he'd retire, but had indicated he would make that choice before the new league year begins in mid-March. Now that decision has been made and No. 77 will once again be protecting quarterback Jared Goff's blindside, and paving the way for running back Todd Gurley in 2019.

Last edited:

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What a freaking relief .I wonder how this affects saffold . If you're the Rams, do you want to let Noteboom start at guard next to Whitworth to prepare him to move over to left tackle next season or do you retain Saffold and keep the left side dominant for another year?