Why isn’t Speights playing?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tempests

Hall of Fame
He's a rookie UDFA. Those guys hardly ever start in their first season.

Even London Fletcher was special teams only his first year.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
He's a rookie UDFA. Those guys hardly ever start in their first season.

Even London Fletcher was special teams only his first year.
I don't know about you, but I'd rather pick the athletic rookie udfa out of LSU rather than the practice squad, former udfa's out of Penn State and South Dakota State.

tempests

Hall of Fame
I don't know about you, but I'd rather pick the athletic rookie udfa out of LSU rather than the practice squad, former udfa's out of Penn State and South Dakota State.
When he's ready, he'll be out there. But he's making a big transition and thinking he was going to play right away wasn't realistic.

If he was slated for a big role on defense they would've held him out of the preseason like they did Verse and Fiske.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Reeder and rose are two of the worst LBs in the NFL. Hummel and Speights literally can't be any worse
I agree. Don't see how they could perform worse. At minimum, one of those two is better than Troy Reeder. Rozeboom is sometimes competent.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Shula was determined to find out the quality of his ILBs the hard way. Guess maybe in another four or five weeks he'll make the changes he needs to make.

I suspect the green dot is part of the problem here. But they still could have worked Speights in to Rozeboom's role, give him some looks on early downs just to get a look at him in real snaps.

Hopefully we see movement on this now.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
It is perplexing. No way Speights is not better than either. Maybe you can justify 1 of them over Speights, depending on your system wrinkles etc. Not both.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's only one person who can answer this question and I'm pretty sure he doesn't post here.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
Must be a coaches decision but I don't get it. If you hold them out of preseason and you don't play them during the season tells me they are bang up or having trouble with the playbook. I know they get special team snaps but Coach, you are 1-3 give them a shot what have you got to lose?

swmizzou83

Starter
When he's ready, he'll be out there. But he's making a big transition and thinking he was going to play right away wasn't realistic.

If he was slated for a big role on defense they would've held him out of the preseason like they did Verse and Fiske.
This would make sense if the two guys playing ILB weren't the worst duo of ILBs in the league and getting embarrassed on a weekly basis. There is zero reason to not put Hummel and Speights out there right now. They can't do worse and at least they are getting the chance to do better.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Shula was determined to find out the quality of his ILBs the hard way. Guess maybe in another four or five weeks he'll make the changes he needs to make.

I suspect the green dot is part of the problem here. But they still could have worked Speights in to Rozeboom's role, give him some looks on early downs just to get a look at him in real snaps.

Hopefully we see movement on this now.
Thought Lake had the dot? If not, he could and input a potentially competent ILB. Its boarding on insanity to keep trotting those twats out there.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not to beat a dead horse, but it ties into the EJ trade. I’m just sick of abysmal LB play, and thought, if we’re trading our best LB, it’s because Speights is gonna be replacing him. Not guys we know are awful.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Don
The obvious conclusion with Speights is he isn't ready yet or we would at least see him in the game in some instances outside of teams.
It is fair to conclude that the coaches want to win so his lack of PT must be due to a coaching concern.

I hope Speights at minimum starts to get some snaps and shows well enough for PT to increase due to performance.