Why Does NFL Media Hate Jared Goff So Much?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The main reason was after he started to prove them wrong, it came out McVay was calling all the plays up until the headset went off.

Is there a rule change on this ? There was a controversy about it.
There was no controversy and it's not against the rules. Every team has the mic open for the same amount of time on every play. McVay wasn't and isn't and won't be the only guy to do what he did last year. The nonsense about this was way over blown.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A lot of posters here are making the same mistake as the talking heads did with Goff and are now doing with Mannion....

God forbid Goff goes down, but I think the Rams can still run the same plays and win games with Mannion.

I know I'm going to get racked over the coals with this post. Bring it.
So Mannion’s play today is a product of bad coaching and Fisher-like offensive schemes? I feel badly that I’ve been so negative about Mannion, but NFL games, preseason or not, are not played with a red jersey. The Mannion you saw, could not be hit in practice...

Last edited:

MrRiceGuyRJ

Let's Make the Rams Great Again
Name
RJ
Because he doesn't know the sun rises in the east and sets in the west. He appeared to be a mouth breather

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Once a player has a bad season the media can’t get it out of their heads. They apparently don’t think players can improve over time.

I don’t really watch any football shows until the season starts. They are all a bunch of ignorant blowhards imo.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
i agree to a point but Luck took a couple of crappy colts teams to 11-5 in his first few years the reason Goff couldnt do it is fisher IMO .. set him up to fail at the start .. didnt even put him on the depth chart his first game .. sat him behing keenum ..
Lets be clear here. The Dolts were no where NEAR as bad as their record the previous year. They literally SUCKED for LUCK. That was such a tank job that it was almost criminal....or at least should have been. Luck is a fine QB, but not as good as he gets credit for IMO.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
i agree to a point but Luck took a couple of crappy colts teams to 11-5 in his first few years the reason Goff couldnt do it is fisher IMO .. set him up to fail at the start .. didnt even put him on the depth chart his first game .. sat him behing keenum ..

Andrew Luck came from a Pro Style system at Stanford

Jared Goff played in an Air Raid system at Cal, which put him at a disadvantage from an experience standpoint. Goff was always going to struggle some, until he had experience in a Pro offense.

So, in addition to CJF and his offensive shortcomings, Goff had a system issue that only further training would help to resolve. He is receiving that training now and I expect him to fulfill his potential because Goff has the character and ability to reach that potential.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
They might be a bit hard on Goff, but we're too soft on him. He has NOT arrived yet.

He had a good statistical season, but he hit a ton of wide open WRs. He also made some great throws. All in all he played about average IMO, and yes I know he had a great passer rating and TD/INT ratio. But four games accounted for half his TD passes, and those four games were against the Giants, Texans, Titans and Niners.
Sorry brother, but I hate that type of rationale. By that metric, how good is Tom Lady?? He plays 6 games per year against sub-par competition, year in and year out. If you take the cupcake opponents out of the equation for all QB's, my guess is that ALL QB's numbers go down proportionally. I am not saying that Goff is a finished product. He has his warts and I hope to see him improve year to year, but it's hard to fault our young QB for taking advantage of favorable match ups and hitting his WRs when they are open.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Keenum, Foles and Goff all performed horribly under Fisher, and look what happened when they played for someone else. Look what happened when Goff got protection up front and play makers to target. Manniom still hasn't had that chance.

I'd like to see Mannion with Whit, Saffold, Sully, Brown and Hav in front of him and Gurley, Woods, Cooks and Kupp as targets. But no one here thinks Mannion would be any better.
I think he would.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Here's a much more pleasant hijacking direction... :whistle:

Rambo

UDFA
I don't see what the op has to do with Goff, it seems like it's about the whole Rams team.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Once a player has a bad season the media can’t get it out of their heads. They apparently don’t think players can improve over time.

I don’t really watch any football shows until the season starts. They are all a bunch of ignorant blowhards imo.

Gnomie nails it, here.

I loved 7eff 9isher, but 2016 showed that he set Jared up for failure. Gurley too, by extension.

At that point, it was clear he had to go.

The ONLY test of Goff thus far has been last year. He excelled. Goff has shown himself to be a winner. Always improved year to year. Kind of a no-brainer to jump on board the Goff train.

McVay sees it. That’s all I care about.

I take such little pride in my Journalism degree. That profession is so over-hyped. Not just in sports. Lots of C students plying that trade.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
They might be a bit hard on Goff, but we're too soft on him. He has NOT arrived yet.

He had a good statistical season, but he hit a ton of wide open WRs. He also made some great throws. All in all he played about average IMO, and yes I know he had a great passer rating and TD/INT ratio. But four games accounted for half his TD passes, and those four games were against the Giants, Texans, Titans and Niners.

Three of those teams were awful at the time the Rams played them, and the other had atrocious pass defense.

The other 12 games he had 14 TDs and 7 INTs - much worse numbers.

Now, before I get slammed for not talking Goff up, I like Goff. He's a good QB. But there's a lot he can improve on, and I expect him to do so.

This is very much like the trajectory of Russell Wilson and the Seahawks - their fans thought he was a top tier QB after his second year. This was my response to them and it makes sense for our Rams too:

We have a great OL, great WRs, top RB and a good defense (although they failed against Atlanta) - if Goff was a top 5 or even a top 10 QB, we would have won the super bowl last year. it's okay to admit that he's not there yet - I think he will get there.
Yes, this might be the most accurate "Goff write up" yet! Thanks....I do believe he will be a pro bowl level guy some day in the 2020s ---not as an alternate, but as a top 2 guy.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Andrew Luck came from a Pro Style system at Stanford

Jared Goff played in an Air Raid system at Cal, which put him at a disadvantage from an experience standpoint. Goff was always going to struggle some, until he had experience in a Pro offense.

So, in addition to CJF and his offensive shortcomings, Goff had a system issue that only further training would help to resolve. He is receiving that training now and I expect him to fulfill his potential because Goff has the character and ability to reach that potential.
The other system issue was the middle school offense Goff was put in with the Rams, with an incompetent coaching staff, unreliable o-line, erratic receivers, the most predictable play calling of all time, and no strategy.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Three of those teams were awful at the time the Rams played them, and the other had atrocious pass defense.

The other 12 games he had 14 TDs and 7 INTs - much worse numbers.

Counterpoint: Goff was in his first year in a new system. Over his final 8 starts of the regular season, he posted 19 TDs to 3 INTs and a 109.4 passer rating. Those 8 starts came against the Giants, Texans, Vikings, Saints, Cardinals, Eagles, Seahawks, and Titans. If you remove the Texans and Giants, Goff still posted 12 TDs to 3 INTs and a 99.0 passer rating in 6 starts. Those 6 starts came against 4 playoff teams (including 1 Super Bowl champ) and 0 teams with losing records.

Goff isn't elite yet, but he was damn good last year, and he got better and better as the year went on.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Yes, this might be the most accurate "Goff write up" yet! Thanks....I do believe he will be a pro bowl level guy some day in the 2020s ---not as an alternate, but as a top 2 guy.
I disagree. Check this out...

They might be a bit hard on Brady but we're too soft on him. He has NOT arrived yet.

He had a good statistical season, but he hit a ton of wide open WRs. He also made some great throws. All in all he played about average IMO, and yes I know he had a great passer rating and TD/INT ratio. But four games accounted for nearly half his TD passes, (15/32) and those four games were against the Broncos, Texans, Raiders and Dolphins.

Three of those teams were awful at the time the Patriots played them, and the other had atrocious pass defense.

The other 12 games he had 17 tds and 7 INTs - much worse numbers.

Point is: you could cherry pick any of the top quarterbacks. I only changed the bold names and numbers and the point reads the same. Goff had great games and ok games. Just like Brady. He had historically great numbers. And Goff is still younger than some rookies coming out of college this year!!

I’m not trying to pick on you, brother. I just think with Goff: it’s all good, and only getting better.

Last edited:

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
The media hate for Goff reminds me of a political figure hated by the media as well. None of the positive attributes are ever broadcasted.

Baffled

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
The other system issue was the middle school offense Goff was put in with the Rams, with an incompetent coaching staff, unreliable o-line, erratic receivers, the most predictable play calling of all time, and no strategy.

That was covered