Why Does NFL Media Hate Jared Goff So Much?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

so i was watching nfl live today and they showed the espn preseason rankings.

they had the rams at 6. they were the 4th nfc team.

why? after every move they've made in the offseason, why?

they have the offensive player of the year, the defensive player of the year, coach of the year, they are the top scoring team, they added 3 all pros to their defense, they added cooks to their already potent offense, their special teams is still the best in the league. why?

the patriots added cooks last year and the media didn't just have them as favourites, they said they would go through the season undefeated. the rams added all this talent and they have them at 6th.

they've taken the "personality"angle to create doubt but we all know why they have them so low. such an insult to goff.

disclaimer - i don't care where the rams are ranked. when idiots insult our qb i get angry.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
because they all proclaimed him a bust in his rookie season when jeff " 7-9 " was in charge . They have to stick to the narrative that they were right then and Sean Mcvay is the sole reason for Goff being good rather than Goff was good then and just hampered by a pee wee football offense

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They love having an “out” I think. They want to hedge their bets with a team like the Rams, because we are doing things unconventionally
1. Hired new HC, youngest ever, who took a perennially losing team to the playoffs in one off season.
2. Same HC took a “bust” of QB in Goff, and let him flourish in a new offensive scheme, yet they believed it was all McVay directing the body of Jared...well, because he sucks on his own?
3. Some even think Gurley is less than guys like David Johnson in Arizona, who they think is better, because of Gurley’s performance in 2016 (you can’t make this shyte up). Focus on Gurley, and you shut down theRams like it’s 2016 all over again. Again, indirect slam on Goff.
4. This year, we built the dream team again, according to them. “Too many personalities” to not fall apart if the Rams lose a couple in a row, they say. McVay is too young to control them, they say (Ignoring one of the best DC in NFL history, who is their direct boss in Wade Phillips).

We have broken their little rules, by not conforming to their dogma of building a winning team. Eff ‘em.:rockon:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Very simple reason why they don't give him credit. Under Fisher they labeled him a bust and they can't be wrong. So when McVay came along and he actually got NFL caliber coaching and an offense to match they simply credit the coaching because since they labeled him a bust once upon a time they can't be wrong it's all McVay in their minds.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Because they are the Rams. They only see what the Rams have been since the late eighties when Georgia Frontiaire started sabotaging them. So nothing good comes from the Rams.

When the Rams moved up in the draft and chose Goff everyone in the media and most of the public, including many here, started condemning the Rams terrible decision, as they obviously chose the wrong quarterback.

Now since the Rams chose the wrong quarterback then Goff is never going to amount to much. And they will stick to that theme as long as they can, because in no way do they want to admit they are wrong.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
They all have to admit they were wrong about Jared, they wont . Louis Riddick always said there was potential in Goff, Louis also happens to be the smartest guy on these shows .

This makes me very mad too because Jared seems like a great guy and is doing everything right on and off the field.

This brings up a bigger point to me, how many of these past "bust" QBs could have been saved . I dont think Jared has much more talent than some of the other guys , but no QB can succeed with poor coaching and lack of talent on the team .
I dont think we ever have tom Brady if it wasn't for belichick. If a guy is drafted in the first round, he has talent, he knows how to play the game and has for a long time . What happens next is mostly out of his hands and depends on what the coaches ask of him .

Jared is on his way to proving everyone wrong !

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They all have to admit they were wrong about Jared, they wont . Louis Riddick always said there was potential in Goff, Louis also happens to be the smartest guy on these shows .

This makes me very mad too because Jared seems like a great guy and is doing everything right on and off the field.

This brings up a bigger point to me, how many of these past "bust" QBs could have been saved . I dont think Jared has much more talent than some of the other guys , but no QB can succeed with poor coaching and lack of talent on the team .
I dont think we ever have tom Brady if it wasn't for belichick. If a guy is drafted in the first round, he has talent, he knows how to play the game and has for a long time . What happens next is mostly out of his hands and depends on what the coaches ask of him .

Jared is on his way to proving everyone wrong !
you can say that about almost any player on any team anywhere ...what if x went to Y instead of Z..what if A rod didnt get sit behind brett

i truly think good to great players will be great anywhere ( Joe Thomas springs to mind) one of the only browns 1st rounders to work out ever...BUT they do need a supporting cast to help them and Goffster didnt have that cast ,, ,well unless you count Brian Quit as a go to WR

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
because they all proclaimed him a bust in his rookie season when jeff " 7-9 " was in charge . They have to stick to the narrative that they were right then and Sean Mcvay is the sole reason for Goff being good rather than Goff was good then and just hampered by a pee wee football offense
This. They were so adamant that he was a bust that they have you "professional insight" on why he was so bad and they dug the hole too deep

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Media pundits minds nowadays have never been soiled with an original thought, it is now a copy and paste society and it takes about two years to reverse the trend. Some of the better ones have already come full circle, not everybody though.

Now if the Rams had acquired Goff from the Patriots all of them would be singing a different tune. It does not bother me, the Rams have received plenty of praise this off season, now, I just want them to go out there and win the games.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
you can say that about almost any player on any team anywhere ...what if x went to Y instead of Z..what if A rod didnt get sit behind brett

i truly think good to great players will be great anywhere ( Joe Thomas springs to mind) one of the only browns 1st rounders to work out ever...BUT they do need a supporting cast to help them and Goffster didnt have that cast ,, ,well unless you count Brian Quit as a go to WR

I agree that a great talent will succeed on their own , unless its QB. There is too much dependence on what's around you. Mike Vick couldn't do it on his own

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree that a great talent will succeed on their own , unless its QB. There is too much dependence on what's around you. Mike Vick couldn't do it on his own

i agree to a point but Luck took a couple of crappy colts teams to 11-5 in his first few years the reason Goff couldnt do it is fisher IMO .. set him up to fail at the start .. didnt even put him on the depth chart his first game .. sat him behing keenum ..

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They might be a bit hard on Goff, but we're too soft on him. He has NOT arrived yet.

He had a good statistical season, but he hit a ton of wide open WRs. He also made some great throws. All in all he played about average IMO, and yes I know he had a great passer rating and TD/INT ratio. But four games accounted for half his TD passes, and those four games were against the Giants, Texans, Titans and Niners.

Three of those teams were awful at the time the Rams played them, and the other had atrocious pass defense.

The other 12 games he had 14 TDs and 7 INTs - much worse numbers.

Now, before I get slammed for not talking Goff up, I like Goff. He's a good QB. But there's a lot he can improve on, and I expect him to do so.

This is very much like the trajectory of Russell Wilson and the Seahawks - their fans thought he was a top tier QB after his second year. This was my response to them and it makes sense for our Rams too:

We have a great OL, great WRs, top RB and a good defense (although they failed against Atlanta) - if Goff was a top 5 or even a top 10 QB, we would have won the super bowl last year. it's okay to admit that he's not there yet - I think he will get there.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
e had a good statistical season, but he hit a ton of wide open WRs

thats better than hitting wide open DBs fo the ints ..its kinda what he is supposed to do hit the open guy

They might be a bit hard on Goff, but we're too soft on him. He has NOT arrived yet.

no one has said he has arrived yet .. we are more bemoaning that among the main stream media talking heads he doesnt get the props he deserves

Now, before I get slammed for not talking Goff up, I like Goff. He's a good QB. But there's a lot he can improve on, and I expect him to do so.

that we can agree on ..

fearsomefour

Legend
Who were the Rams ranked behind in the NFC?
Eagles, Vikings, Saints I assume?
Eagles and Vikings are better on paper and were in the NFC Title game last year.
Makes sense.
NFC is a gauntlet and the Rams are going to have to earn their way through it.

TheBunk

Rookie
They're predictable. Keep in mind their newest hot topic is centered on Jalen Ramsey's qb rankings and he only gave goff an average evaluation. Like the sheep they are, that's the level he's discussed on until the newest hot topic elevates him and they use that to generate conversation.

jap

Legend
The stability of the OL and the advancement of Jared as an NFL QB is what will make the huge difference between last season and tis upcoming one. It's good to have a super feature back like the Gurley Man in your backfield. However, Jared needs to advance to the level where he can win games against legitimate contenders with his arm before he moves into the elite category. He is pretty much a good game manager now, and I expect him to improve this year.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
A lot of posters here are making the same mistake as the talking heads did with Goff and are now doing with Mannion.

Keenum, Foles and Goff all performed horribly under Fisher, and look what happened when they played for someone else. Look what happened when Goff got protection up front and play makers to target. Manniom still hasn't had that chance.

I'd like to see Mannion with Whit, Saffold, Sully, Brown and Hav in front of him and Gurley, Woods, Cooks and Kupp as targets. But no one here thinks Mannion would be any better.
I think he would.

We keep hearing how bad DWilliams, Lucas, Neary are at pass blocking, I've seen it personally at TC, not even close to 1st team. And Hemmingway, and the 2nd tier WR's are at catching the ball. Again, not even close to who Goff gets to target. But Mannion can't catch a break from having to perform with those 2nd tier guys. I've watched Mannion in TC the last three seasons and granted he's not as good as Goff, but he's not as bad as some here think. He knows the playbook and reads defenses as good or better than Goff. None of the other QB's are even close in that respect.

God forbid Goff goes down, but I think the Rams can still run the same plays and win games with Mannion.

I know I'm going to get racked over the coals with this post. Bring it.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
God forbid Goff goes down, but I think the Rams can still run the same plays and win games with Mannion.

I know I'm going to get racked over the coals with this post. Bring it.

I have always felt Mannion had some upside and agree he would be better with the first unit, but he must showcase the ability to improvise and unfortunately without protection, Mannion has always had issues. He was very good at Oregon State in his junior season, but when they lost many veteran offensive linemen do to graduation and Brandon Cooks as well, his senior season went up in smoke.

This game against the Raiders and the following two games could quiet the Natives, however, if Mannion continues to struggle in the preseason, I would not be shocked if the Rams made a move to acquire someone, but I believe Mannion will answer the call and if you protect Mannion, he has a big arm and IMO can be effective.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Very simple reason why they don't give him credit. Under Fisher they labeled him a bust and they can't be wrong. So when McVay came along and he actually got NFL caliber coaching and an offense to match they simply credit the coaching because since they labeled him a bust once upon a time they can't be wrong it's all McVay in their minds.

The main reason was after he started to prove them wrong, it came out McVay was calling all the plays up until the headset went off.

Is there a rule change on this ? There was a controversy about it.