Why do we continue to play zone?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Staley got to make ALL the decisions about the Chargers D.. and they’re worse than they were last year.

Teams are adjusting to the light boxes… can he adjust back?
You have other factors there Kupped. C'mon dude. You're smarter than that.

The Rams have a strong front office who goes out and aggressively finds what the coaches want. Did the Chargers do that? He's still gotta rely on their evaluations it's not like Staley is an all star scout.

So what he's doing there is it's own deal. What he did for us, his combination with this front office, was properly identify what he needed and he fielded a top defense.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve

The Rams have a strong front office who goes out and aggressively finds what the coaches want. Did the Chargers do that? He's still gotta rely on their evaluations it's not like Staley is an all star scout.

So what he's doing there is it's own deal. What he did for us, his combination with this front office, was properly identify what he needed and he fielded a top defense.
One thing I liked about Staley was his ability to make adjustments. Last season we hardly gave up any points on the third quarter and second half of games.

This season, the first half and second half looks the same. 15+ play time consuming drives that end up in additional scores.

I think losing JJ was a big loss. Rapp struggles in pass coverage. Reeder is a step slow and a liability in pass coverage.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

Wait.. what???
Imma say this again… the Chargers D is as bad, and in some areas, worse than they were last season.

And.. if the Rams D was so good at that.. what the fuck were they doing for Morris???

I’m exactly that dumb, because I can accept some expected statistical regression and then add to that significant roster losses that were absolutely not made up for.

I really thought they would see growth from young guys and start to step up. I was dead wrong.

Does anyone on here think the D would be as good as last season if they had only kept Staley?

I sure as hell don’t.

And… they’re not even that bad!! The defense isn’t close to the biggest problem for this team!

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Wait.. what???
Imma say this again… the Chargers D is as bad, and in some areas, worse than they were last season.

And.. if the Rams D was so good at that.. what the fuck were they doing for Morris???

I’m exactly that dumb, because I can accept some expected statistical regression and then add to that significant roster losses that were absolutely not made up for.

I really thought they would see growth from young guys and start to step up. I was dead wrong.

Does anyone on here think the D would be as good as last season if they had only kept Staley?

I sure as hell don’t.

And… they’re not even that bad!! The defense isn’t close to the biggest problem for this team!
Defense would be better with Staley vs Morris as Staley is simply a better D coordinator. However, the offense still needs to stop crapping the bed too because no way we win a championship with the way they are playing now. I'm hoping this is a chemistry thing where we are working out the kinks. I'm praying to Baby Jesus we get hot when most needed.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
One thing I liked about Staley was his ability to make adjustments. Last season we hardly gave up any points on the third quarter and second half of games.

This season, the first half and second half looks the same. 15+ play time consuming drives that end up in additional scores.

I think losing JJ was a big loss. Rapp struggles in pass coverage. Reeder is a step slow and a liability in pass coverage.
IMO Staley made smart calls and subtle adjustments throughout the game though especially after half time. While we're not as strong in personnel it's hard to feel like we're doing that now.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
IMO Staley made smart calls and subtle adjustments throughout the game though especially after half time. While we're not as strong in personnel it's hard to feel like we're doing that now.
Didn’t against Green Bay in the playoffs. Packers went up and down the field in that game.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the 'big names' on this defense are messing with peoples minds. This D clearly lacks talent. It's evident.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i almost fell off my chair when i saw rapp somehow working as a free safety. fuck me, he has no fricken idea about taking the correct angles on wrs about to catch the ball. he had already overrun cobb before he even caught the ball and let him run for 50 yards. hopeless.

and any coach that puts him in that position is more to blame than him. rapp is who he is. the coach is supposed to be putting the players in good positions to make plays. not leave them out there to make fools of themselves.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We ran a lot of zone last year. It was just schemed differently. Although, Staley did find ways to put Ramsey in M2M against #1 WRs while the rest of the defense played zone.

TexasRam

Legend

i almost fell off my chair when i saw rapp somehow working as a free safety. fuck me, he has no fricken idea about taking the correct angles on wrs about to catch the ball. he had already overrun cobb before he even caught the ball and let him run for 50 yards. hopeless.

and any coach that puts him in that position is more to blame than him. rapp is who he is. the coach is supposed to be putting the players in good positions to make plays. not leave them out there to make fools of themselves.

That and the wide open WR's on third down. WIDE OPEN. NO ONE NEAR THEM.

The Scheme is absolutely a problem and played differently then last year. Williams has proven he can play man on man and so has Ramsey but you constantly see them in soft zone. Over the middle coverage should NEVER be Rapp and Reeder. How many times do we have to keep seeing this before some one who actually watches tape says this aint working.

Disrupting WR's at the LOS and causing the QB to look elsewhere equals sacks and turnovers.

Not to excuse the offense because they have to get their shit fixed to.

But those not seeing a problem with the defense are not seeing straight. Morris is a problem. Sorry.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Not buying either.

We’ve seen a few years in a row of McVay’s teams having big issues with turnovers and, now, special teams.

Good HCs don’t have teams that do that consistently.

The Rams D got them the ball back twice in the 4th and the offense wet farted.
What’s to buy? Don’t you watch the long drives and the cushion that the Rams’ defense gives up when they are in zone?

And Stafford is injured. It’s been reported. Back and arm injuries would make it tough to perform at a high level. It would explain the difference in accuracy from the first few games to the last few games. It also explains why he doesn’t look as mobile on naked bootlegs.

I’ve questioned McVay myself (stubborn, adjusting too late, bad fourth down attempts)but these issues that we are talking about seem pretty easy to dissect.

Special Teams imo is more on Snead and his drafting style. He’s always been big into phyical traits. He drafts raw talent in later rounds. The bottom of the roster players that usually play special teams for the Rams are not necessarily football smart. It has nothing to do with McVay. He doesn’t seem to have much if anything to do with Special teams coaching.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
It has nothing to do with McVay. He doesn’t seem to have much if anything to do with Special teams coaching.

Actually, since he's the head coach, it has a lot to do with him, even if the actual coaching of STs himself is minimal. He hasn't prioritized STs and it shows.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
What’s to buy? Don’t you watch the long drives and the cushion that the Rams’ defense gives up when they are in zone?

And Stafford is injured. It’s been reported. Back and arm injuries would make it tough to perform at a high level. It would explain the difference in accuracy from the first few games to the last few games. It also explains why he doesn’t look as mobile on naked bootlegs.

I’ve questioned McVay myself (stubborn, adjusting too late, bad fourth down attempts)but these issues that we are talking about seem pretty easy to dissect.

Special Teams imo is more on Snead and his drafting style. He’s always been big into phyical traits. He drafts raw talent in later rounds. The bottom of the roster players that usually play special teams for the Rams are not necessarily football smart. It has nothing to do with McVay. He doesn’t seem to have much if anything to do with Special teams coaching.
Sorry, buddy…. McVay is the problem right now.

He’s also the possible solution, but this team has top down problems right now.

LouisvilleRam

Hall of Fame
We are 21st :sick: :sick: in PPG 23.9......we went from 1st to 21st (as of now) but suspect we'll be alot lower in the next few weeks. If we don't change up the defense we are done.

That's just Nostalgia from way back
(10 months ago)

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The Rams ran a 2 high quarters shell last year. They replaced JJ with Rapp & Hill with long.
People on here want Rapp in the box.. so, change the scheme to a single high with a safety not built for that? And lacking the corners to pull it off?

Give me the back end solution.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The zone is getting beat with short passes and it negates the Rams pass rush. It’s allowing teams to chew clock.

I get not going man only but the team plays better with more man and less zone. Unfortunately they play zone as much as possible.
100% agree.

I just posted this in another thread.

Teams our killing us with quick passes and negating any pass rush.

Ironically. M. Peter's would have fit nicely in this defense.

Last edited: