Why do we continue to play zone?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
They may say its basically the same, but I dont remember giving 8+ yrd cushions on 90+% of plays. Last year the D was aggressive and attacked, this year they are passive and react.

This ^

sdakotaram

Rookie
Name
sdakotaram
We are 21st :sick: :sick: in PPG 23.9......we went from 1st to 21st (as of now) but suspect we'll be alot lower in the next few weeks. If we don't change up the defense we are done.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Because we don't have the corners or free safeties who can cover to run a more man cover scheme.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
We are 21st :sick: :sick: in PPG 23.9......we went from 1st to 21st (as of now) but suspect we'll be alot lower in the next few weeks. If we don't change up the defense we are done.

And people blame Johnson leaving as the reason for our decline. Um, it's not one above average safeties fault. It's the scheme.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And people blame Johnson leaving as the reason for our decline. Um, it's not one above average safeties fault. It's the scheme.
True but if you take out key pieces that allow you to run the scheme that way it sure affects the defense as a whole. People around here also massively undervalued Troy Hill.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
But it could be 7 contributors from last season’s Pack game not playing today & the Rams failing at developing replacements for the players that left.

Oh.. and 3 scores on short fields plus a pick six… but, yeah…. let’s focus on Morris.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
If we aren't getting results playing soft coverage, shouldn't the Rams try something else? Saying they can't doesn't do it for me. At least mix it up and try. Can't get any worse can it? Today sucks

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
True but if you take out key pieces that allow you to run the scheme that way it sure affects the defense as a whole. People around here also massively undervalued Troy Hill.
Oh, I forgot about ALL-WORLD Troy Hill. I'm sure he was the reason we had the number one defense last year.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
But it could be 7 contributors from last season’s Pack game not playing today & the Rams failing at developing replacements for the players that left.

Oh.. and 3 scores on short fields plus a pick six… but, yeah…. let’s focus on Morris.
It was a total team fail. Morris is part of it and obviously so is McVay. We need to shore things up on the whole team.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame

We could always blame everything else but our soft zone scheme.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh, I forgot about ALL-WORLD Troy Hill. I'm sure he was the reason we had the number one defense last year.
Part of the whole picture. Darious Williams has regressed, Troy Hill and John Johnson are gone. The ILB are worse and I'm not sure how that's even possible. You got rid of Brockers who was a glue on the DL doing all the dirty work. Von Miller has been worse so far than anybody else lining up opposite Floyd. Add all that together with a DC that's worse than Staley and it adds up to a worse statistical defense.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I mean, those 7 and 8 minute drives our defense has been giving up are no problem at all right?
There were three drives that produced 13 points that gained 25 yards TOTAL… and a pick 6 on top of that.

The defense isn’t close to being this team’s biggest problem.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Maybe we could have drafted someone in the 2nd round to play ILB, instead of a miniature gadget player?

He's not even good enough to be a gadget player. Total bust for sure. I'm calling it now. WHAT A WASTE of a high draft pick, OMG!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Part of the whole picture. Darious Williams has regressed, Troy Hill and John Johnson are gone. The ILB are worse and I'm not sure how that's even possible. You got rid of Brockers who was a glue on the DL doing all the dirty work. Von Miller has been worse so far than anybody else lining up opposite Floyd. Add all that together with a DC that's worse than Staley and it adds up to a worse statistical defense.
All true and it starts at the top with McVay. He hired his good friend who had never run the defense Staley installed. I mean what could go wrong. So it follows that the DC wasn't in McVay's ear telling him exactly what he needed, like Staley did.

I mean Staley drafted TWO safeties after the Rams had drafted two of them for the previous DC in Rapp and Johnson. He had Snead go get Floyd to strengthen the edge. His defense was 2nd overall in scoring in part because of shrewd identification of what he needed on top of a deep grasp of the scheme he installed.

Now we're sitting on a unit tied with three teams for 14th overall in scoring allowed and it's probably gonna get worse by the season's end.

Some round these parts want to make it some kind of bizarre offense vs defense equation. But it's not about that. The defense on its own merits is marginal at best and might be bottom third by the time the Rams are watching the playoffs on TV. I do like what Von has added by the way. But at this point we're starting to look like a team with some stars and a bunch of midround picks, sad to say.

For the record I still have hope for this team, it's just much more manageable. Let's get the basics fixed and get into the playoffs and from there who knows. That's where I'm at now and I just hope expectations don't continue to drop.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
He's not even good enough to be a gadget player. Total bust for sure. I'm calling it now. WHAT A WASTE of a high draft pick, OMG!
With every game… that pick just looks worse & worse.

Add to that the $ they spent on DJax over Troy Hill…

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
All true and it starts at the top with McVay. He hired his good friend who had never run the defense Staley installed. I mean what could go wrong. So it follows that the DC wasn't in McVay's ear telling him exactly what he needed, like Staley did.

I mean Staley drafted TWO safeties after the Rams had drafted two of them for the previous DC in Rapp and Johnson. He had Snead go get Floyd to strengthen the edge. His defense was 2nd overall in scoring in part because of shrewd identification of what he needed on top of a deep grasp of the scheme he installed.

Now we're sitting on a unit tied with three teams for 14th overall in scoring allowed and it's probably gonna get worse by the season's end.

Some round these parts want to make it some kind of bizarre offense vs defense equation. But it's not about that. The defense on its own merits is marginal at best and might be bottom third by the time the Rams are watching the playoffs on TV. I do like what Von has added by the way. But at this point we're starting to look like a team with some stars and a bunch of midround picks, sad to say.

For the record I still have hope for this team, it's just much more manageable. Let's get the basics fixed and get into the playoffs and from there who knows. That's where I'm at now and I just hope expectations don't continue to drop.
Staley got to make ALL the decisions about the Chargers D.. and they’re worse than they were last year.

Teams are adjusting to the light boxes… can he adjust back?

Ellard80

Legend

staleys defense in SD has been horrible this year - just something to throw out there.