Why do we continue to play zone?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
I don't see how a bend don't break defensive philosophy fits with McVay's offensive philosophy of up tempo quick strike offense. It seems like a recipe to keep the defense on the field way too long, which is exactly what's happening.
After the Packers ran 15 plays and we came out in a no huddle 3 and out I was just thinking that McVay has lost his shit. I mean, how can rube like me see that your offense is stale and on the bench for 12min and running a no huddle is just plain stupid and McVay doesn't?

I really am worried that McVay has a bit too much Gruden in him. By that I mean, Gruden always blamed the QB for not executing his system...there were players open etc...but your QB just didn't see the open man. Gruden was never at fault..it was always the QB who did him in...sound familiar?

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
After the Packers ran 15 plays and we came out in a no huddle 3 and out I was just thinking that McVay has lost his shit. I mean, how can rube like me see that your offense is stale and on the bench for 12min and running a no huddle is just plain stupid and McVay doesn't?

I really am worried that McVay has a bit too much Gruden in him. By that I mean, Gruden always blamed the QB for not executing his system...there were players open etc...but your QB just didn't see the open man. Gruden was never at fault..it was always the QB who did him in...sound familiar?

I think there is a LOT of merit to your 2nd paragraph. But McVay can't do that now - he got HIS guy. He failed to help the last guy out of his slump (and I'm not sure if he really tried), but he has no excuse for not doing it now after all the turmoil of the offseason and him getting the guy for whom he clamored. No more excuses for McVay.

sdakotaram

Rookie
Name
sdakotaram
Okay I watched the All 22 and Ramsey sucked

Per the play review, there were 4 (edit 6) passes thrown at Ramsey. Every pass but one Ramsey was 7 to 10 yards off the receiver and each time he backed up right before the pass was thrown. Each time he was late by a split second because of being off 7 - 10 yards. That was the game plan with Ramsey and that just takes his strength away. The fifth pass that I missed was a great play by Ramsey to tackle the packer running back after a 1 yard gain. And the 6th pass he got beat man to man for a 5 yard in pass (happens).

However, each play only went for 6 to 10 yards. So he basically played a good game if not for being hampered so badly by Morris.

You can't play 10 yards off a receiver and expect to block a pass that is only going 5 yards passed the line of scrimmage.

Completely terrible play calling in my book when using a player of Ramsey's ability,

And then expecting Williams to play 10 yards off as well is just adding to the stupidity.

Sorry this is just terrible play calling by Morris allowing Teams to get 5 to 7 yards on every 3rd and short.

And teams are taking advantage of it.
Thank you for the report!

TexasRam

Legend
Okay I watched the All 22 and Ramsey sucked

Per the play review, there were 4 (edit 6) passes thrown at Ramsey. Every pass but one Ramsey was 7 to 10 yards off the receiver and each time he backed up right before the pass was thrown. Each time he was late by a split second because of being off 7 - 10 yards. That was the game plan with Ramsey and that just takes his strength away. The fifth pass that I missed was a great play by Ramsey to tackle the packer running back after a 1 yard gain. And the 6th pass he got beat man to man for a 5 yard in pass (happens).

However, each play only went for 6 to 10 yards. So he basically played a good game if not for being hampered so badly by Morris.

You can't play 10 yards off a receiver and expect to block a pass that is only going 5 yards passed the line of scrimmage.

Completely terrible play calling in my book when using a player of Ramsey's ability,

And then expecting Williams to play 10 yards off as well is just adding to the stupidity.

Sorry this is just terrible play calling by Morris allowing Teams to get 5 to 7 yards on every 3rd and short.

And teams are taking advantage of it.
Nice work.

Been saying it all year. You could see it on the Metcalf TD earlier in the year. There is no universe where taking the best cover corner in the NFL and playing him 10 yards off a WR makes sense.

We absolutely must have Williams and Ramsey manning up WR’s. If nothing else they should be doing this at random times so the defense isn’t predictable and easy to scheme against. That is the minimum expectation.

Morris has a stubborn predictable scheme that completely negates the skills of our players. Both the DB’s and also the pass rushers.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Also irt playing zone nowadays it's not a simple thing. There's dropping guys and there's pattern matching. Quarters has some well established rules wrt which guy on a given side of the field takes which receiver too. But the coaching ties it all together by getting the players mentally prepared to play fast.

The Rams secondary looks confused. Williams in particular looks lost man, which is a 180 reversal from last year. The guy can play the fuck out of quarters as demonstrated last season, the difference is he was anticipating i.e. locked in on what opponents were doing last season but this season the guy is lost. It looks to me like guys are just dropping and there is zero anticipation from any of them.

McVay mentioned on the recent coaching show that the coaches need to do a better job, can't recall how he phrased it but I took it to mean he's got guys not playing fast and doing what they should be doing.

It's the same on offense. Vs the 9ers right away the Rams threw a quick screen to Kupp. He had Higs and Jefferson out there to block for him and two DBs with one over the top and the other at the LOS. You could tell Jefferson's job was to get the over the top DB but the guy on the LOS went sideline and ate two blocks. THAT is coaching my friends. That is preparation of tendency with details putting players in position to win.

What should have happened is Higs hands off the block and goes next level like the OL do. Or Jefferson could have cracked down inside on 54 since their all-world ILB was there of course. Either way put Woody in there and I think that screen works. So the Rams have some coaching issues IMO, but also some player issues they gotta work through.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Yes...McVay wanted it because he thought since he had such a hard time against it that everyone else would as well. I think this Fangio/Staley defense is going to be a 1yr wonder and most teams that decided to run it will decide to move on by next year. It's very inefficient in many ways and most good teams can counter it quite easily.

The other issue is, as you have said before many times, this Staley defense lost 2x to the niners last year and got pooched by GB in the playoffs. I know AD was injured last year...but he has fallen off a cliff this year. You only notice him a few times a game now compared to previous years. I think he is done being the defensive Player of the Year from here on out.

No, because we've not been solid on the back end and allow teams to complete umpteen short passes, the pass rush just can't get there and we haven't played with a lead for a month.

What that means is it basically takes the ends out of the play and teams can and do simply double and triple AD all game because that immediate internal pressure is the ONLY pressure that can get there in time.

AD just needs to be schemed up a bit.

Our current scheme not only isn't friendly to AD, but it's bad for everyone on that D and requires them to play out of the skulls to get crappy results. It's beyond a terrible scheme. I mean... it's hard to put into words how bad it is.

I will say this... I think if Morris stays, then we'll see defenders start looking at leaving. Morris has to go.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I’m not a DC…
I would think after two weeks of being attacked the same way that they’re looking at making some serious adjustments.
We’ll find out soon.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Well, it's been 3 straight games of the same.

and if nothing changed during the bye week... it's just not gonna.

People talk about Tampa's record last year, but during their late bye, they both revamped and got healthy.

We didn't revamp and got crushed.

The question is now if we can beat the Jags. If we don't, we go from a "well, we're not gonna with the division, but we're locked in at the 5 seed" to "we're 7-5 with 4 straight losses and a killer schedule in front of us where there are no wins in front of us if we keep doing things the same way"

The point is that if we don't do things differently, we run the legitimate risk of losing out. That's probable because every team we face from here on out is capable of playing the exact same game plan on both sides of the ball with only the Jags as being potentially inconsistent enough that we win.

Now, based on the evidence of the last 3 games... do you see us changing...anything?

Or are we gonna just hear week after week "we have to execute better and I have to do a better job of putting our players in a position to succeed"...

I hope we do change. I hope that ass-whoopin' by the Packers was enough to change us. I hope we aren't sitting here after a loss to the Jags after having done the same silly shit that lead to the last 3 straight losses and end up saying and doing the same things.

The only question I have is "will we change"? I hope so, but I doubt it.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Well, it's been 3 straight games of the same.

and if nothing changed during the bye week... it's just not gonna.

People talk about Tampa's record last year, but during their late bye, they both revamped and got healthy.

We didn't revamp and got crushed.

The question is now if we can beat the Jags. If we don't, we go from a "well, we're not gonna with the division, but we're locked in at the 5 seed" to "we're 7-5 with 4 straight losses and a killer schedule in front of us where there are no wins in front of us if we keep doing things the same way"

The point is that if we don't do things differently, we run the legitimate risk of losing out. That's probable because every team we face from here on out is capable of playing the exact same game plan on both sides of the ball with only the Jags as being potentially inconsistent enough that we win.

Now, based on the evidence of the last 3 games... do you see us changing...anything?

Or are we gonna just hear week after week "we have to execute better and I have to do a better job of putting our players in a position to succeed"...

I hope we do change. I hope that ass-whoopin' by the Packers was enough to change us. I hope we aren't sitting here after a loss to the Jags after having done the same silly shit that lead to the last 3 straight losses and end up saying and doing the same things.

The only question I have is "will we change"? I hope so, but I doubt it.

Well say as you will.

Sean Mcvay said the defense played well enough to WIN.

Playing from behind gets old.

Complain all you want.I saw a lot of good things out there against Green Bay.They (DEFENSE) played 4 quarters.
I liked the toughness & really liked D. Williams improvement.He finally looked healthy.

The defensive front of Greg Gaines & A. Robinson’s toughness is going to go a long way.

TAMPA- F’ Tampa!! they wouldn’t beat GBay on the road again this year & got lucky last season.

Then again I’m excited to see The Rams kick The Crap out of the JAGS.

If not I will start to believe in a NFL conspiracy if the lawsuit. Timing is perfect.The Refs started it the Last time they Played at SOFI!! Higbee was in (lol). Some of those calls though were bad.

Going back to SF & GBay on the road. Really ?? I get it & am upset.

My truth is I think The Rams & Raheem Morris are fine.Might keep being proven wrong,but I’m sticking with this team & defense.

Back to Tampa?? Yes that was where the SuperBowl was won.The Rams could catch fire.There is an extra game in 2021 to throw a wrench in the fire.