Why Do the 49ers Own Us Right Now?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
This has been a fun off-season thread but I am going to push-back on the idea that the Niners own the Rams.

S.F. is 4-0 against L.A. over the past two seasons so the 'Right Now' in the Thread Title is well placed and appropriate.

However, looking at the 49ers / Rams games since McVay and Shanahan, I don't see dominance. I see competitiveness.

First off, someone had a 3-7 Rams record. I'm not sure if that was corrected but its eight games over four seasons, not ten games.

The Rams are 3-5 in those eight games; and that includes the final game of 2017 when McVay sat every starter that he could sit in preparation for the home Wild Card Game the following week. The Rams best player that day was Kevin Peterson.

So I see it as a 3-4 record against the 49ers. The three Rams wins (2017 and 2018) were one very close game and two Rams' blow-outs. Both blow-out came in the Rams 13-3 season of 2018

San Francisco's four wins (2019-2020) were two dominant games and two super-close games where the Niners kicked game-winning field goals as time expired. The 49ers were one of the two best teams in the NFL in 2019 when they went 13-3.

So that's seven games. San Francisco has won four. Each team has two one-sided victories. Three of the games were toss-ups, with the 49ers winning two ... both on last-second-FGs ... which account for two of their four wins over the past two seasons.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
FUCK THE WHINERS!!!
Here I try to put things in perspective with my long post above; and RamsFan503 does a much better job in three simple words.

RamsFan 503 is a much stronger poster that RamsFan 1 through 502. Those 502 guys were weak.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
The subject is "Do the 49ers own the Rams", and you're going off the deep end over Goff, the obsession is real. In 2 of the last 3 games against, they couldnt close the deal despite having lead in 4th Q. Putting the blame solely on the QB is not the answer, they had the lead with him, and lost.

Nah. It's not obsession. Dude had a pick 6 in that 2019 game, but I will give you he played well overall that night. That first game tho? Yeesh. Couldn't even get 80 yards passing.

The story of his Ram career is that he was and probably still is way too TO prone. Last year especially. One-off good games don't fly. Making shitty decisions over and over again with TOs added on costs games which is what he did, and more often so than what the former center or the top D did.

Name
MistahTroupe
First off as far as the thread title and being a die hard Rams fan living in Cali, how dare you...

giphy.gif

But understand what you meant to say and feeling the need to play nice i give you this answer,

c7c709d00e687b6dab51d9d1e1ed84e2.gif

(Rams dont have an answer like most teams to stop this guy, Greg Kittle is a beast, and despite Rams elite defense and coverge put on in him. When its 3rd and whenever Kittle will continue to produce and getting needed downs and first downs to keep 4whiners in the game.

giphy.gif

(Raheem Morstert, Although at times it boggles my mind. When healthy Raheem Morstert with his vision,strength, power and elusiveness, Speed as an HB. Rams never seem to have an answer how to stop him when he is on the field. Hopefully with the additions and adjustments that changes this season.

giphy.gif

( Deebo Samuel. Another beast and playmaker on the field that when healthy our Rams just never had an answer how to stop on the field. Hopefully again with new additions that changes this season.)

62f5aadd4f00.gif

(Robert Saleh. Another pain for The Rams, as they simply never had an answer on how to stop or gameplan for his defensive schemes. But that doesnt matter now as he is currently The Jets headcoach.

giphy.gif

(Kyle Shanahan. In the bay area dude is a breath of fresh air for niner fans. He isn't Hargbaugh. But Me personally i would still go McVay over him long term. especially due to age and creativeness, but dude is skilled regardless.)

These would be main reasons for Rams troubles vs 4whiners.

- MT :helmet:

Last edited:

Shuie3225

Starter
Here's the rushing #s from the past 4 games.

2019- WK 6
SF- 41att, 99yds, 2.4ypc
LA- 22att, 109yds, 5ypc

2019- WK 16
SF- 23att, 119yds, 5.2ypc
LA- 24att, 72yds, 3ypc

2020-WK 6
SF- 37att, 122yds, 3.3ypc
LA- 19att, 113yds, 5.9ypc

2020-WK 12
SF- 33att, 112yds, 3.4ypc
LA- 28att, 126yds, 4.5ypc

SF definitely commits to their running game more, but outside of 1 game our numbers are better. Although box scores don't tell the whole story it definitely shows that it's not as simple as what you're suggesting.

Actually it is as simple as I'm suggesting. Have you watched the last 6-8 SF games? If you have then it's beyond obvious how much more physical they are than us on both sides of the LOS. That's why they beat us. Use all the stats you want I use my eyes. If you want to use stats go look at total rushes. Look at Time of Possession. Look at total offensive plays ran. That tells the story. Not yards per carry LMAO nice try bud.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
I don't see it as owning the Rams at all since 2017, that's ridiculous. Rams were the much better team in 2017-2018 and beat them 3 times. That one loss to them in 2017 is because the Rams laid down in the last game of the season and took out most of their starters... and started Mannion. Sean "mother fking" Mannion! And we thought the Rams had a chance with that stiff.

Whiners just have had the Rams number the last 2 years but it's more puzzling to be swept by an injury battered crap team last year. I expect things to change this year. As much as I like McVay as HC, he's got to beat the whiners for the rest of his career. He'll never live down a "but he can't beat the whiners" label. It's got to be more of a priority and cut the buddy-buddy shit.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the Niners own the Rams. The Rams Seahawks games are close too. But the Rams seem to be in control even in the few losses to them.

Goff was terrible against the Niners defense. They totally confused him. Maybe they owned Goff? In the first game he was 0 for 9 or something to start the game.

49er games always felt like a struggle for the Rams. Seahawk and Cardinals games always felt like a struggle for them (from a Rams fans POV)

If anything, Saleh owned Goff. Because Goff has had success against the Niners prior to 2019.

The Niners offense has scored:

20 (7 off a short field)

In the past two seasons where were 0-4

That's allowing 21 points per game on average, which would be a top 10 scoring defense in today's NFL - defense is not the problem.

Going game by game, the OL lost one, the defense lost one, Goff/Kupp lost one and then Goff lost one.

The OL played well in 3/4, defense played well in 2.5/4 - so the hope and expectation is that Stafford allows us to beat them.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This has been a fun off-season thread but I am going to push-back on the idea that the Niners own the Rams.

S.F. is 4-0 against L.A. over the past two seasons so the 'Right Now' in the Thread Title is well placed and appropriate.

However, looking at the 49ers / Rams games since McVay and Shanahan, I don't see dominance. I see competitiveness.

First off, someone had a 3-7 Rams record. I'm not sure if that was corrected but its eight games over four seasons, not ten games.

The Rams are 3-5 in those eight games; and that includes the final game of 2017 when McVay sat every starter that he could sit in preparation for the home Wild Card Game the following week. The Rams best player that day was Kevin Peterson.

So I see it as a 3-4 record against the 49ers. The three Rams wins (2017 and 2018) were one very close game and two Rams' blow-outs. Both blow-out came in the Rams 13-3 season of 2018

San Francisco's four wins (2019-2020) were two dominant games and two super-close games where the Niners kicked game-winning field goals as time expired. The 49ers were one of the two best teams in the NFL in 2019 when they went 13-3.

So that's seven games. San Francisco has won four. Each team has two one-sided victories. Three of the games were toss-ups, with the 49ers winning two ... both on last-second-FGs ... which account for two of their four wins over the past two seasons.
Great post, and the only way I could stomach writing the title was by inserting the "Right Now". I really do not like to use the term hate, because I feel like it is overused by all of us. That being said, all my family here should know that I hate the 49ers. Watching those two games again was difficult, but I really was trying to figure out why.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
First off as far as the thread title and being a die hard Rams fan living in Cali, how dare you...

giphy.gif

But understand what you meant to say and feeling the need to play nice i give you this answer,

c7c709d00e687b6dab51d9d1e1ed84e2.gif

(Rams dont have an answer like most teams to stop this guy, Greg Kittle is a beast, and despite Rams elite defense and coverge put on in him. When its 3rd and whenever Kittle will continue to produce and getting needed downs and first downs to keep 4whiners in the game.

giphy.gif

(Raheem Morstert, Although at times it boggles my mind. When healthy Raheem Morstert with his vision,strength, power and elusiveness, Speed as an HB. Rams never seem to have an answer how to stop him when he is on the field. Hopefully with the additions and adjustments that changes this season.

giphy.gif

( Deebo Samuel. Another beast and playmaker on the field that when healthy our Rams just never had an answer how to stop on the field. Hopefully again with new additions that changes this season.)

62f5aadd4f00.gif

(Robert Saleh. Another pain for The Rams, as they simply never had an answer on how to stop or gameplan for his defensive schemes. But that doesnt matter now as he is currently The Jets headcoach.

giphy.gif

(Kyle Shanahan. In the bay area dude is a breath of fresh air for niner fans. He isn't Hargbaugh. But Me personally i would still go McVay over him long term. especially due to age and creativeness, but dude is skilled regardless.)

These would be main reasons for Rams troubles vs 4whiners.

- MT :helmet:
Another great post. Like I said previously, the thread title bothered me just like it did the rest of you.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
They won't own us this year, I can tell you that.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Kyle Shanahan is one of the best play callers in the NFL, McVay not as good, but builds a superior culture, however, on game day, IMHO, Shanahan trumps McVay, for the present.
Well that shit needs to stop.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Actually it is as simple as I'm suggesting. Have you watched the last 6-8 SF games? If you have then it's beyond obvious how much more physical they are than us on both sides of the LOS. That's why they beat us. Use all the stats you want I use my eyes. If you want to use stats go look at total rushes. Look at Time of Possession. Look at total offensive plays ran. That tells the story. Not yards per carry LMAO nice try bud.
I see a physical run-first team(SF) vs a finesse pass heavy team (LA), what I don't see is manhandling. Manhandling is what we saw in the Ravens game or the Cowboys game of the same year. You aren't getting manhandled if you're putting up competitive rushing numbers.

I provided total rushes, and it heavily favors SF, not surprising considering McVay's tendency to give up on the run especially when behind. The rushing numbers that I provide are invalid but the ones you do, TOP and total plays are?

You know what can improve your TOP? Running the ball, advantage SF. You know what kills TOP? Incomplete passes. LA in the past 4 games 78-139 56%, SF 87-128 68%, advantage SF. You know what helps both TOP and total plays? 1st Downs. Again past 4 games, LA 65 1st downs, SF 83. Here's where it gets funny. LA actually had more 1st downs on the ground 27 to SFs 25. SF has a big advantage through the air 52 to 35. SF also has a 10% advantage in 3rd down efficiency.

Another funny stat, the one time in the past 4 games that LA has won the TOP and total play battle was week 16 2019. It was also the one time that LA had more 1st downs and better passing numbers.

6-8 games? I don't know what games you're watching but we ran all over them in '17-'18, week 17 2017 doesn't count we rested all of our starters. Week 7 2018 we stomp them 39-10 and run for 146 but we got manhandled? Or week 17 when we ran for 155?

Last edited: