Why Did We Keep Sean Mannion for so Long?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Thank you! He was like the Marshall Faulk of his day. Truly a beloved player.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I fully expect Bortles to be rated in Tier 1 this time next year after racking up points in preseason and garbage time in McV’s offence. If he isn’t I think it will be because he already signed somewhere as the starter.
I am not buying the Bortles here just for a very short stay bit. I have a gut feeling his connection with the Rams might take a total different route....chew on that if you want;)l

Last edited:

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
I'm assuming you are talking about his pre-season play at Oregon State? Because I don't recall anything remotely close to "great" with Mannion in a Rams uniform...

Well he never got a fair shake. Rams brass were all in on Goff and they even said the lack of development from Goff is what got Jeff Fisher fired. So Goff was always going to get every chance like Bradford. Now traditional pocket passers, like he truly is, are going by the way side. The game is definately changing. I mean the last two #1 picks have been 5'10" QBs. Even 5 years ago that would have been thought of as crazy.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Sean looks like a proper QB standing there, he just does everything a little too slow for the pro game. He is a coaches kid, so he's probably pretty good in the meeting room.

Ram65

Legend
I am not buying the Bortles here just for a very short stay bit. I have a gut feeling his connection with the Rams might take a total different route....chew on that if you want;).l

I was wonder what Bortles would command on the open market after this year.

Any guesses?

I guess minimum would be around $3 a year. Rams don't have extra money to throw around.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well he never got a fair shake. Rams brass were all in on Goff and they even said the lack of development from Goff is what got Jeff Fisher fired. So Goff was always going to get every chance like Bradford. Now traditional pocket passers, like he truly is, are going by the way side. The game is definately changing. I mean the last two #1 picks have been 5'10" QBs. Even 5 years ago that would have been thought of as crazy.
He didn’t get a fair shake? That’s a silly statement. As @den-the-coach just illustrated, he was on the team for 4 seasons, threw almost 200 passes in pre-season and also had a start, and 53 reg season passes. That my friend is as fair of a shake as a backup gets.
And in his appearances he consistently showed the same issues, year over year. Slow to process, slow to move, painfully long (and slow) release. Opted for check down after check down.
If he showed anything, any glimpse of having “it”, he would have been in some demand as a FA. But he wasn’t.
I mean look at how McVays coaching staff has been poached. Guys have gotten HC jobs by just knowing how many sugars Sean likes in his coffee. Mannion would have gotten the same type of respect if it wasn’t so blatantly obvious that he doesn’t have it.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
He didn’t get a fair shake? That’s a silly statement. As @den-the-coach just illustrated, he was on the team for 4 seasons, threw almost 200 passes in pre-season and also had a start, and 53 reg season passes. That my friend is as fair of a shake as a backup gets.
And in his appearances he consistently showed the same issues, year over year. Slow to process, slow to move, painfully long (and slow) release. Opted for check down after check down.
If he showed anything, any glimpse of having “it”, he would have been in some demand as a FA. But he wasn’t.
I mean look at how McVays coaching staff has been poached. Guys have gotten HC jobs by just knowing how many sugars Sean likes in his coffee. Mannion would have gotten the same type of respect if it wasn’t so blatantly obvious that he doesn’t have it.

Fair enough. I just remember the year he got drafted and I felt he had some potential. I mean the Rams were a year or two removed from Sean Hill starting so Mannion looked like a stud by comparison. I didnt follow him after 2015. Tall, heavy footed, QB's truly are phasing out though.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seriously. I have been underwhelmed by him for years.

He's with a different team this year (Vikings), and there is no guarantee that he will be the back up QB there and CBS Sports doesn't believe he will keep a roster spot this year. Was it that he was just so cheap? I wonder if we can keep Bortles longer than this year, because some QB's will tank and the dude is a borderline starter. It just seems that as good as Les Snead normally is at picking talent, he and McVay kept a back up QB that probably wasn't worth the roster spot for two years...

https://www.scout.com/football/nfl/...ent-snaps-and-is-not-a-viable-fantasy-option/
I kept watching Mannion hit folks in the numbers. Drop after drop. I think he could be a fine quarterback with some time. He needs to develop some “touch” with his short passes, but I think he has many of the tools to be a capable QB. It’s all spilt milk now.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
We moved on with likely a better option. I'm good with what we did

Yeah, Bortles had his problems but he was pretty good his second year. He's got the ability. Just something wrong between the ears. He's not a dumb guy, so I gotta think something happened to his confidence. If anyone can fix him its McVay.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
You guys stick to that narrative. Meanwhile, we'll enjoy another good season with Goff at the helm.

"Good"

giphy (6).gif

nighttrain

Legend
I was wonder what Bortles would command on the open market after this year.

Any guesses?

I guess minimum would be around $3 a year. Rams don't have extra money to throw around.
Rams will find 3 mil, i believe it
train

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Even if we ditched Mannion and got someone else, not sure why it matters considering we never used him but for 1 game. It wouldnt have effected any of our seasons.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
This video alone got me fired up about Mannion the year he was drafted. Cosmetically, Goff looks like the same folks. We'll never really know though because he didnt play.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MAdQLCwKBO8

I kept watching Mannion hit folks in the numbers. Drop after drop. I think he could be a fine quarterback with some time. He needs to develop some “touch” with his short passes, but I think he has many of the tools to be a capable QB. It’s all spilt milk now.

Even if we ditched Mannion and got someone else, not sure why it matters considering we never used him but for 1 game. It wouldnt have effected any of our seasons.

"The Rams, previously selecting at No. 15, are one of the lowest-picking team in NFL history to trade up to the No. 1 spot. The move, however, did not come cheap.

It is essentially the Rams' karmic payback for fleecing the Redskins back in 2012 for a treasure trove of picks that led to the selection of Robert Griffin III. The terms are as follows: Tennessee gets: Rams' first-round pick (2016), two second-round picks (2016), a third-round pick (2016), a first-round pick (2017) and another third-round pick (2017)."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000652822/article/la-rams-trade-up-to-acquire-no-1-pick-from-titans?networkId=4595&site=.news&zone=story&zoneUrl=url%3Dstory&zoneKeys=s1%3Dstory&env&pageKeyValues=prtnr%3Daround-the-league;team%3Dten;team%3Dla;conf%3Dafc;conf%3Dnfc;dvsn%3Dacs;dvsn%3Dncw;plyr%3Delisha_manning;plyr%3Dmarcus_mariota;plyr%3Dshaun_hill&p.ct=Around+the+NFL&p.adsm=true&p.tcm=%23fff&p.bgc1m=%230964bf&p.bgc2m=%23053a74&sr=amp

Rams still did a good job building the roster without these picks but Goff was expensive.

Spilt milk indeed.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"The Rams, previously selecting at No. 15, are one of the lowest-picking team in NFL history to trade up to the No. 1 spot. The move, however, did not come cheap.

It is essentially the Rams' karmic payback for fleecing the Redskins back in 2012 for a treasure trove of picks that led to the selection of Robert Griffin III. The terms are as follows: Tennessee gets: Rams' first-round pick (2016), two second-round picks (2016), a third-round pick (2016), a first-round pick (2017) and another third-round pick (2017)."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000652822/article/la-rams-trade-up-to-acquire-no-1-pick-from-titans?networkId=4595&site=.news&zone=story&zoneUrl=url%3Dstory&zoneKeys=s1%3Dstory&env&pageKeyValues=prtnr%3Daround-the-league;team%3Dten;team%3Dla;conf%3Dafc;conf%3Dnfc;dvsn%3Dacs;dvsn%3Dncw;plyr%3Delisha_manning;plyr%3Dmarcus_mariota;plyr%3Dshaun_hill&p.ct=Around+the+NFL&p.adsm=true&p.tcm=%23fff&p.bgc1m=%230964bf&p.bgc2m=%23053a74&sr=amp

Rams still did a good job building the roster without these picks but Goff was expensive.

Spilt milk indeed.

that was cheap to get a franchise qb from where they were sitting and where they'd been for a decade.

now they're one of the best teams in the league and the titans are still the same meh team with a meh qb.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He was slow about everything...but like you said, it's spilt milk now

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
that was cheap to get a franchise qb from where they were sitting and where they'd been for a decade.

now they're one of the best teams in the league and the titans are still the same meh team with a meh qb.

So you are saying the Rams are at least a top five team in the league right now? I'll reserve that judgement for the proportional amount of playing time Gurley receives.

Pats, Saints, Chiefs, Eagles, Chargers, Colts. Uh-oh, that's more than five.

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So you are saying the Rams are at least a top five team in the league right now? I'll reserve that judgement for the proportional amount of playing time Gurley receives.

Just, no.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

so who were you before you got all butthurt and decided to support a team like the chiefs?