Why Did We Keep Sean Mannion for so Long?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
In all seriousness, I do think there is more to a backup QB than just the ability to take over in an injury situation. The Rams probably liked having consistency in the QB room - watching film, diagnosing defenses, etc.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No fan of Mannion here, but what did Mannion cost the Rams by keeping him on the team?
I think the Rams are in great shape this year the way things played out, how could anyone complain about our current set up?
Sean Mannion has a couple of great preseasons and that helped his cause.
I'm assuming you are talking about his pre-season play at Oregon State? Because I don't recall anything remotely close to "great" with Mannion in a Rams uniform...

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Sean Mannion.... Come On Down!

You're the next contestant on The Price Is Right !!!

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Sean Mannion reminds me of cooked ribs with zero sauce or seasoning. Very bland. But I suppose it would be good enough to make a turd.

Ram65

Legend
Because he was cheap and already there.

Will see how he does in Minnesota.
Could be one of those guys who ends up having a 10 year career by just showing up and not making waves.
Has the arm....who knows if he can play NFL football?
He was a cheap option and was going to stay until there was a better cheap option.
Will
Be interesting to see what the Rams do after this year.

Lack of options, salary, need to address the draft more at other positions and a lack of other options.

There are only a handful of backup QBs in the league I'd trust to win a game or two in relief and even fewer I'd trust to win more than that.

Sometimes you ride with what you have until something better comes along. And Bortles still has something to prove.

In all seriousness, I do think there is more to a backup QB than just the ability to take over in an injury situation. The Rams probably liked having consistency in the QB room - watching film, diagnosing defenses, etc.

Cheap and lack of options is the popular answer that makes. Consistency in the QB room and getting along with Goff has to has to have some merit too. We only saw him play in preseason and the Whiner game. Settled down against the Whiners some after a shaky start. He needed better protection (starters) as he was a little slow with windup and that long stride.

Rams get lucky with the Bortles timing. Costinh only $1 Million this year but, have to find a cheap replacement next year. Looking at the names and money they get it's hard to find a cheap alternative that you feel can win some games. Next year could be the year the Rams draft a backup.

https://fanbuzz.com/nfl/highest-paid-backup-qbs/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/quarterback/

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Just my two cents but I thought he might have developed out.

It just seemed he choked when he got in there a little bit.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It's pretty obvious that the Rams organization liked him for the price in considering other options. I mean come on now... Look at back ups across the league. Sure there may be better options but not a plethora. And for the record, his O-line was flat out awful at OSU and he still held his own.

We moved on with likely a better option. I'm good with what we did

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's pretty obvious that the Rams organization liked him for the price in considering other options. I mean come on now... Look at back ups across the league. Sure there may be better options but not a plethora. And for the record, his O-line was flat out awful at OSU and he still held his own.

We moved on with likely a better option. I'm good with what we did
RhfuLK8.png

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm assuming you are talking about his pre-season play at Oregon State? Because I don't recall anything remotely close to "great" with Mannion in a Rams uniform...

In 2015 his preseason stats were...31/57 300 Yards, 1 TD and 1 Pic
In 2016 his preseason stats were....39/60...325 Yards, 4 TD's and 1 Pic
in 2017 his preseason stats were.....49/76....490 Yards, 2 TD's and 0 Pic's
In 2018 his preseason stats were....24/46....168 Yards, 1 TD and 2 Pic's.

So Mannion showcased some decent stats prior to 2018 preseason 119/193 1,115 Yards, 7 TD's & 2 Pic's....And I should have changed the word "Great" to "Solid" My apologies.

http://www.nfl.com/player/seanmannion/2552576/gamelogs?season=2015

Limey

Rookie
I fully expect Bortles to be rated in Tier 1 this time next year after racking up points in preseason and garbage time in McV’s offence. If he isn’t I think it will be because he already signed somewhere as the starter.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Lack of options, salary, need to address the draft more at other positions and a lack of other options.

I think OldSchool pretty much nailed it, y’all.

Snead/McVay had other fish to fry in their first 2 seasons.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think OldSchool pretty much nailed it, y’all.

Snead/McVay had other fish to fry in their first 2 seasons.

If they could use a bunch of picks on players they figured not to play their rookie season, they could have used one on a developmental QB last season. Or at least this offseason.

Snead and McVay are very good, but that doesn't mean they never make questionable moves. Having a guy to develop would make it realistic that when Bortles leaves after this season, the Rams would still be okay - with a cheap but capable backup for Goff for the next three seasons.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
If you're gonna troll you have to make it a little believable at least.

1A 1B

Being the Rams were in the dark ages at QB for so long, there was actually a lot of hope with Mannion. I say he got every chance because of that.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Sean wasn't great but thinking a developmental pick would have been better is a stretch. It's nigh impossible to find a guy past round 3 who's going to give you something. And Sean already knew the system.

Not to mention, the Rams did had guys like Brandon Allen to push him but they couldn't do it.

People complain about Mannion but my god, most backup QBs are crap. There's probably only 10 guys in the NFL at one time who can offer you decent play as spot starters (5 of those were probably drafted to be starters at some point).

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Because he's just as good as Goff but never had McVay telling him what to do.

Nice avatar...Abner Haynes, now that is going back to the Dallas Texans days under Henry Louis "Hank" Stram!
Haynes_Abner13_Texans.jpg