Wheel of Time

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tano

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall the Amerlyn Seat being gay with Morraine.
They were Pillow Friends when they were Novices - I think the TV show wanted to emphasize it a little more.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's one of those things that's been debated throughout time with the books because RJ never really gave it any kind of clarity or definition. They never had a scene like that in any of the books though either.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
So the Matt thing is stupid but I’m pretty sure that’s the episode where Barney Harris left the show. It’s a horrendous change but it had to be a nightmare for the producers at the time. The whole scene was just wonky. How they handle it in the next two episodes and into season 2 will tell us a lot about the quality of the production team.

If it was me, I’d have Matt get the dagger again because he is still “obsessed” with it. Then we could have the proper set up for everything that goes down in book 2.

Tano

Legend
So the Matt thing is stupid but I’m pretty sure that’s the episode where Barney Harris left the show. It’s a horrendous change but it had to be a nightmare for the producers at the time. The whole scene was just wonky. How they handle it in the next two episodes and into season 2 will tell us a lot about the quality of the production team.

If it was me, I’d have Matt get the dagger again because he is still “obsessed” with it. Then we could have the proper set up for everything that goes down in book 2.
Yeah that's how I would do it too.

The curing part was just wrong imho

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok going to have to watch this episode again before any more comments.

Tano

Legend
I think they had to reshoot the end of the 6th episode and the last two episodes because of the actor leaving.
The writers had to completely change the story because of that. It was stated that they had already shot some scenes in the 7th and 8th episode with Mat in the episodes

Tano

Legend
At least I can stop being pissed off where the TV show stated the Dragon could possibly be a woman. NO ifs, buts, or maybe - the Dragon HAD to be a man since saidin was tainted and only a man could go insane and break the world again.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think they had to reshoot the end of the 6th episode and the last two episodes because of the actor leaving.
The writers had to completely change the story because of that. It was stated that they had already shot some scenes in the 7th and 8th episode with Mat in the episodes
He left or they fired him?

Tano

Legend
He left or they fired him?
He went to the Producers during filming of episode 6 and told them he had to leave.

No reason has been given.

I am thinking his family had some Covid issues and he wanted to be with his family.

Unfortunately they had already filmed parts of episodes 7 and 8 already with him so they had to do complete re-shoots.

Had to completely change the story line too

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He went to the Producers during filming of episode 6 and told them he had to leave.

No reason has been given.

I am thinking his family had some Covid issues and he wanted to be with his family.

Unfortunately they had already filmed parts of episodes 7 and 8 already with him so they had to do complete re-shoots.

Had to completely change the story line too
I'm thinking he read the books, thought that's a great character, then 6 episodes in he realized what they had done to arguably the best character in the books and said later days.
Shame on Harriet for taking the money and letting these people do what they've done to her late husbands masterpiece.

Tano

Legend
I'm thinking he read the books, thought that's a great character, then 6 episodes in he realized what they had done to arguably the best character in the books and said later days.
Shame on Harriet for taking the money and letting these people do what they've done to her late husbands masterpiece.
Mat was the most disliked main character in the first two books.

So they were doing okay with him but yeah I didn't like that they made him a thief and his parents were dicks.

However, the TV show had him really caring for his sisters and that he would do anything to protect them. So there is that.

Oh and Rafe has stated that he had to make a lot of changes from the books because Amazon Prime would only give him 8 episodes for the first season and he wanted at minimum 12 episodes to stay truer to the books.

Tano

Legend
Okay Episode 8 was really rushed.

I was okay with the story line for the most part but some specific parts were just wrong.

Agelmar getting a spear thru his chest. How is he supposed to survive that? Loial getting stabbed. Nynaeve dead and brought back to life by Egwene whose ability in healing in the books is extremely limited.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
How about the Seanchan summoning a tidal wave to kill one child then reverberate towards their own ships after hitting a cliff lol WTF kinda writing did we get in that last episode. Good lord. Oh and don't touch anything or the blight will take you...cue nap in blight lol Also death means nothing now, everyone can be magically healed from death. There are no consequences apparently. The season was ok...like 6-7/10 but that last episode dropped it to like a 3-4/10. I hate to say it, but I'm very dissapointed.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm very thankful that they've brought one of my favorite series of books to TV. I'm not a fan of the massive deviations and total changes to the story but I'm going to go forward and appreciate it because it's Robert Jordan's work (somewhat) come to life on the TV. And along the way I'm going to hope they come back to the real story, if not I'll try to continue to enjoy it for what it is.

Tano

Legend
How about the Seanchan summoning a tidal wave to kill one child then reverberate towards their own ships after hitting a cliff lol WTF kinda writing did we get in that last episode. Good lord.
I have seen a lot of people complain about that but I doubt the ships could even see the one child. They were just doing a military advantage of sending a tidal wave to take out any defenses that might be on the beaches (even though I didn't see any)

And the tidal wave coming back to hit them, I think the channelers could keep that from happening.]

But yeah that episode wasn't the greatest. Bringing back Nyeave from the dead was kinda far fetched. And Rand going to sleep in the blight, well um yeah - that would have been okay if Moraine did the same thing she did in the series by making them invisible like in the book and maybe having some sort of wards to keep anything from touching them (please note - no worms in the blight that I can see so far).

Tano

Legend
I have seen a lot of people complain about that but I doubt the ships could even see the one child. They were just doing a military advantage of sending a tidal wave to take out any defenses that might be on the beaches (even though I didn't see any)

And the tidal wave coming back to hit them, I think the channelers could keep that from happening.]

But yeah that episode wasn't the greatest. Bringing back Nyeave from the dead was kinda far fetched. And Rand going to sleep in the blight, well um yeah - that would have been okay if Moraine did the same thing she did in the series by making them invisible like in the book and maybe having some sort of wards to keep anything from touching them (please note - no worms in the blight that I can see so far).
Yeah I just rewatched the final part again and there is no way that those ships could see the little girl on the beach.

The girl could barely see the ships from the shore.

That was just an offensive maneuver to make sure no beach defenses could attack them.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I was disappointed in the defense of the city by the channelers. Nyneave has generational talent. Power not seen in decades, or longer. The power of the sun.v Yet in that small group she wasn't able to channel or withstand the power any better than the rest. At the very least she should have been a supercharger for the lead channeler. I'd rather that she came in late and delivered the shockwave of a lifetime to the Trollocs and saved the women from certain death. Instead she looked quite ordinary.

The stealing of the horn was too easy also. The shades and a dark friend have no trouble killing some of the best guards in the city, while Tom Merilen single handedly whooped a shade with some knives. And what was the point in leading Perrin away? He didn't fight them anyway. He stood there like an oaf. Why not use his wolf man shtick and wolf friends to rip them apart. If he is really that passive he would have let the White Cloak kill him. He stands there as his pal Loial is getting stabbed. SMH

Tano

Legend
I think a lot of the problems with the last episode is that they had to rewrite so much since Mat left and then the Covid restrictions while filming the episode.

I think with all these issues, they did a decent job.

They Nynaeve death/healed was the only one I had a really bad problem with.

I am hoping Amazon will give WOT more episodes per season so they do not have to change so much stuff in Book 2. A little concern about the dagger portion though.

Tano

Legend
I was disappointed in the defense of the city by the channelers. Nyneave has generational talent. Power not seen in decades, or longer. The power of the sun.v Yet in that small group she wasn't able to channel or withstand the power any better than the rest. At the very least she should have been a supercharger for the lead channeler. I'd rather that she came in late and delivered the shockwave of a lifetime to the Trollocs and saved the women from certain death. Instead she looked quite ordinary.

The stealing of the horn was too easy also. The shades and a dark friend have no trouble killing some of the best guards in the city, while Tom Merilen single handedly whooped a shade with some knives. And what was the point in leading Perrin away? He didn't fight them anyway. He stood there like an oaf. Why not use his wolf man shtick and wolf friends to rip them apart. If he is really that passive he would have let the White Cloak kill him. He stands there as his pal Loial is getting stabbed. SMH
Reading the book - the Myddraal took down 4 fighters at Fal Dara whereas I think they only had 2 or 3 in the room digging up the horn

So 2 Myddraal could easily take down those fighters