What we can learn from Case Keenum's star turn and what's next

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
As I continually point out, half the teams in the league are either starting a backup quality quarterback or they are looking for a long-term starter because they have someone who is getting ready to retire.

That said, I'm not sure what a "backup quarterback" is anymore.

If someone can come in as a backup and pull off an 8-2 record?

Is he a backup or is he *somebody's* starter?
Remember, Russell Wilson isn't any good either. After all, he's to short. Was never supposed to be a starter. But his winning percentage is only .694. BUT WAIT, it's all the defense in Seattle. Funny how you never hear that about Brady.

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
The real question is... can you win a Super Bowl with Keenum. And the answer is HELL NO. And that's the same answer for the Alex Smith's/Prescott's/Cousins(might be an exception but always does the dumbest crap at the end of the game to lose it for you) of the world.
And yet, year in and year out Packer fans and Saint fans are clamoring for another Super Bowl off their "elite" QB's. You know what "elite" QB's need to win the Super Bowl? A good defense. And a really good defense only needs a QB that plays smart and doesn't turn the ball over to win a Super Bowl.

BTW, I don't consider Brady to be "elite". He's a good QB that doesn't make a lot of mistake's supported by a consistently top 10 defense. Show me another team that has had a top 10 defense for 90% of their QB's time on team. The Pats are the only team to do it year in and year out.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Remember, Russell Wilson isn't any good either. After all, he's to short. Was never supposed to be a starter. But his winning percentage is only .694. BUT WAIT, it's all the defense in Seattle. Funny how you never hear that about Brady.

Case Keenum isn't Russell Wilson. And people absolutely said that about Brady until 2007.

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
Keenum is 8-2 so I'm not sure what he did at the end of the game to lose.
Keenum found out he was playing in the Steelers game 1 hour before game time. Had little time to prepare. First Detroit game was on the Mckinnon and Cooks fumbles. Lions had short fields to score.

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
Case Keenum isn't Russell Wilson. And people absolutely said that about Brady until 2007.
He doesn't' have to be. He just doesn't have to make stupid mistakes. That's the whole point. A good QB that doesn't make mistakes and a top defense will have a team winning 12 games a year every year, year in and year out.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Cleveland fans had a lot of the same complaints Rams fans had about Shurmur, and honestly, he wasn't ready to be a head coach.

Homgren, who was CLE's President and was PS mentor pulled the playcalling duties from him because he was stinking it up.

He's definitely NOT the same guy and deserves credit for expanding and growing as a play caller and designer. He learned from others around him, smart of him IMO.

Is he a backup or is he *somebody's* starter?

Surfer you KNOW he will be a starter next year and IMO probably in MINN. Why would they let a guy go when he fits their system? It would be dumb and Zimmer and his group are not dumb.

It will prove out over time I think. If he's a starter it will show through him winning that job and holding on to it over time. Since he's a guy who's been around the decision on whether they keep/re-sign him will depend on how he plays down the stretch and into the playoffs, but even if he struggles and costs them in the playoffs he will probably get a long look somewhere else at a minimum.

Oh and btw this offseason is going to have an insane QB market. Take a look at impending FAs and guys who project to be available, and it's going to cause a lot of tumult around the league. Granted some of these guys will get locked up but here's the noteworthy ones:

Brees
Cousins
Carr
Bradford
Keenum
Bridgewater
Garoppolo
And a bunch of backup types

Depending on how the top three are handled this offseason has the potential to alter the power structure of this league. And one team that might be shopping is the Vikes.

Haha the Vikings FO is butt-clenched right now. Week 12 and they don't have a QB under contract for next year!!

Good point about the top 3, it could shift things big time and turn three winners/losers into losers/winners.

The real question is... can you win a Super Bowl with Keenum. And the answer is HELL NO. And that's the same answer for the Alex Smith's/Prescott's/Cousins(might be an exception but always does the dumbest crap at the end of the game to lose it for you) of the world.

You can win a SB with him, and for sure with the three you mentioned. Cousins is a top QB in the league and he plays on a shit team.

Look at the list of SB winning QB's. At least 10 are worse than all 4 of the guys we are talking about. Or at least worse versus Keenum's play this year.

Good for case because he is a good guy and works hard . However he is not an elite qb talent, Bradford looked great this season too before he got hurt.

He looked up and down, as he always did. Remember something.

Bradford went 8-8 with this same Vikings team. Keenum is doing a really good job and he is contributing to wins.

Funny how Sam Bradford’s name is rarely even brought up any more in Minny, or Philly, or STL.

FIFY, :sneaky:

There are quarterbacks that have won the Superbowl that are second-tier quarterbacks like Keenum is.

Hostetler.

That's all we need to say.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He doesn't' have to be. He just doesn't have to make stupid mistakes. That's the whole point. A good QB that doesn't make mistakes and a top defense will have a team winning 12 games a year every year, year in and year out.

Case isn't a good QB. And he's not a guy who doesn't make mistakes.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not what I was saying.
Bradford was the starter this season, had the paper tiger record last year but followed it up with a monster 1st game.
Case loses 2 of 3 starts and minny season was all about when Bradford would be ready. Bridgewater was barely a thought then.
Now Bradford isn’t even mentioned, only talk is about TB.
It’s like SB never played there.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Eqt0kz0jTCuq2J2IDxyEJw.jpeg

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
system QB just like Foles he will fall back to reality if he goes to another team. Min is perfect for him great D great Oline and Great wr. just about any average QB could succeed on that team

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
Bradford went 8-8 with this same Vikings team. Keenum is doing a really good job and he is contributing to wins.
Nope. The Offensive line is completely redone. And the Vikings had a ton of weekly injuries on defense last year. While it may seem like the same team it's not. And Bradford at most is responsible for maybe the loss in the second Detroit game.

Bradford's stat line in the losses last year.

238/332 71.7% 9 TD's 4 INTS. (1 in 4 different games) Only 2 Int went to points for the other team. 3 for Detroit and 3 for the Colts.

He wasn't the reason they lost.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh and I agree about the overreactions against rookies.
That is why I never had a problem with them keeping Goff or lamented losing Keenum, I'm just happy for Keenum.

I also posted that the idea of Mannion starting over Goff was ridiculous after the investment they put into Goff.

Hey keep Mannion out of this

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Josh McCown and Ryan Fitzpatrick had some nice years too.
I'm sure they did. But in the context of what we're talking about, Case is keeping pace with the guy everyone thinks is Da Gawd.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm sure they did. But in the context of what we're talking about, Case is keeping pace with the guy everyone thinks is Da Gawd.
Sam Bradford
~ The Dude at the PD in 2011

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Difference is that the Da Gawd is a 23-year-old kid who has helped take our offense from worst to nearly first. Plus, Da Gawd is a former #1 overall pick who is displaying special instincts, mental acuity, and arm talent.

Meanwhile, Keenum is still Keenum, for better and worse. I'm glad he's doing well, but it's not a competition. Josh McCown put up incredible numbers a few years ago, but it was obvious watching him that McCown was still McCown. Another good example of that is Colin Kaepernick's stats from 2016.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Difference is that the Da Gawd is a 23-year-old kid who has helped take our offense from worst to nearly first. Plus, Da Gawd is a former #1 overall pick who is displaying special instincts, mental acuity, and arm talent.

Meanwhile, Keenum is still Keenum, for better and worse. I'm glad he's doing well, but it's not a competition. Josh McCown put up incredible numbers a few years ago, but it was obvious watching him that McCown was still McCown. Another good example of that is Colin Kaepernick's stats from 2016.
Still.
This is what good supporting talent and coaching can do for QBs.

Eqt0kz0jTCuq2J2IDxyEJw.jpeg

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Not what I was saying.
Bradford was the starter this season, had the paper tiger record last year but followed it up with a monster 1st game.
Case loses 2 of 3 starts and minny season was all about when Bradford would be ready. Bridgewater was barely a thought then.
Now Bradford isn’t even mentioned, only talk is about TB.
It’s like SB never played there.

I know what you meant, I was just having fun.

Yeah, CK is playing good football, contributing to wins.

He wasn't the reason they lost.

And not the reason they won either.

Case is keeping pace with the guy everyone thinks is Da Gawd.

Going forward you should call him Jeebus. Jeebus Crust.