What Patriots Fans Are Saying

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Rams/ Patriots, two good O lines.

2018 NFL Offensive Line Rankings: All 32 teams' units after Week 17
BY MICHAEL RENNER • JAN 2, 2019
USATSI_11791150.jpg
Dec 2, 2018; Pittsburgh, PA, USA; Pittsburgh Steelers offensive line David DeCastro (66) and Maurkice Pouncey (53) and Ramon Foster (73) line up with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (7) in the first quarter against the Los Angeles Chargers at Heinz Field. Mandatory Credit: Philip G. Pavely-USA TODAY Sports
The moment you’ve all been waiting for has arrived. The official PFF 2018 offensive line rankings are here, and I’m sure you’ll agree with every ranking. Who am I kidding? You’re not reading this intro, let’s get to it.

OL1.png

PIT-Steelers-Header.png
The blame game has run rampant around Pittsburgh after a disappointing season ended. Don’t point fingers anywhere near the offensive line though, as they were dominant down the stretch this season. Their lowest-ranked starter was still only the 61st ranked offensive lineman. That type of cohesion was unmatched around the NFL.

CLV-Browns-Header.png
“If you build it they will come” is a saying that doesn’t only apply to baseball fields and baseball-playing ghosts. In the case of the Browns, it also applies to offensive lines and franchise quarterbacks. With high priced free agents at center, right guard, and right tackle, the Browns gelled into one of the league’s top units over the second half of the year. Their interior offensive linemen – left guard Joel Bitonio, center J.C. Tretter, and right guard Kevin Zeitler – combined to give up only 39 total pressures on the season.

IND-Colts-Header.png

We knew they’d be better, but I don’t think even the biggest Colts homer could have foreseen this coming. Drafting the highest-graded rookie guard though and the second-highest-graded rookie tackle will do that. Everyone and their mother predicted Quenton Nelson would be a stud, and he was as a second-team PFF All-Pro, but Braden Smith going from college guard to pro tackle was a wildcard. Fortunately, that card came up aces as Smith was PFF’s 25th-highest graded tackle on the season.

NE-Patriots-Header.png
Another year, another well-oiled machine blocking in New England. Shaq Mason finished the season as PFF’s All-Pro right guard and all five starters were among the top-75 graded offensive linemen in the league.

PHI-Eagles-Header.png
It wasn’t quite the dominant line they had hoped for with Jason Peters back healthy, but it was still easily one of the best units in the league. Jason Kelcewas the top overall graded center, while Brandon Brooks and Lane Johnsonwere top five at their respective positions as well. The almost 37-year-old Peters though didn’t fare as well. His 34 pressures allowed were the second-most of any season in his career, and he didn’t even make it through the full year.

WhitworthOL.png

LA-Rams-Header-2017.png

After such a hot start, the Rams offensive line getting exposed over the second half of the season was one of the more significant reasons for their offensive lull. Most notably, center John Sullivan’s play fell off a cliff down the stretch. After allowing four pressures through the first seven games, he allowed 32 over the last nine. Still, it’s one of the few lines in the NFL to have five starters play over 1,000 snaps.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...ine-rankings-all-32-teams-units-after-week-17

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Bill takes away your best player on offense and defends

JJ watt in his career has 0.5 a sack against the pats

Tyreek hill had one catch in the AFCCG
Kelce was limited to like 30 yards

I don’t mind admiting they worry me

I think the Chiefs went into that game with the wrong game plan. They should have pounded the ball. It was what 20 degrees with a wind chill at the beginning of the game? After the wind died down they put up some points. IMO weather has a lot to do with how passing teams play. The Pats played a short controlled passing game thru most of the game with a mix of ground and pound. KC did not. Just my thought on the poor game planning by Reid.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://www.patsfans.com/new-englan...-vs-rams-superbowl-pre-game-analysis.1147118/

Pats vs. Rams Superbowl pre-game analysis

Some good thoughts from Evan Lazar:

Super Bowl Preview: the Patriots Match Up Well Against the Rams | CLNS Media

Football outsiders:

QR Bonus: Keys to Beating Los Angeles | Football Outsiders

---------------
Someone wrote an article about this and said he’s noticed that Jared Goff at this point in his career has a problem with his internal clock when throwing. He throws the ball late a lot. That doesn’t bode well against a man to man defense
-------------
The biggest knock against Goff is that he will only throw to something he can see (e.g., an open receiver), hence those late throws. He is also horrendous when under pressure.

Brady, on the other hand is the master of seeing plays before they happen, he is absolutely ballsy when it comes to releasing the ball before the play develops or the receiver finishes the route, or snaps off his stem- e.g., anticipating that such and such will be at such and such place, or that a window will open at such and such place. His talent and mastery of this skill is unprecedented.
------------
Here is some interesting things Schlereth said when he was guest on the garbage show "First Things First". But bear with me he actually came with an interesting viewpoint about BB teams having issues with the Shanahan zone running scheme that is not hot takey at all.

I am surprised it didn't blow the heads of Wright and Carter.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=Cqq1mlQAB9k

-------------
The big thing about Goff is he can’t think for himself. He has Mcvay detailing the defense and their coverage and what to do for the 15 seconds in his helmet and then he follows the script.
-----------
Really need to do to him what they did to Rivers
-----------

View: https://twitter.com/ezlazar/status/1087846424560263170?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1087846424560263170&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%231087846424560263170

-----------
Honestly, they are making a big deal out of Brandin Cooks having intel on NE. Yes, he knows us, but we know him too. And anyone who tries to hurdle over an Eagle defender in the Super Bowl probably isn't that bright any way.
----------
Rams rode their defense to that win. Goff got really rattled in that stadium. He was panicky on a lot of throws.
----------
BB may be able to dial up some coverages he’s never seen. Goff is inexperienced. He’s only faced the patriots once as a rookie. That game wasn’t even close.
----------
All they need to do is change up the look once the 15 second headset thing hits. He won’t be able to have McVay telling him the coverages
---------
To me this game is more about whether the Pats can properly protect Brady and score the points. I am a lot more confident that the defense will do an adequate job of holding up against the Rams.
----------
The ages of Tom Brady's receivers when he won Super Bowl XXXVI against the Rams in 2002:

Julian Edelman: 15
James Develin: 13
Chris Hogan: 13
Rob Gronkowski: 12
Dwayne Allen: 11
Rex Burkhead: 11
James White: 10
Cordarrelle Patterson: 10
Phillip Dorsett: 9
Sony Michel: 6
---------
I think this game all comes down to protecting Brady,....if they can keep Tom relatively clean then the Pats win....I do think NE can cover the Rams receivers, I woudl love to see that defense NE used against the chargers, Goff will never know where they are coming from.
----------
I don’t know when or how it happened but the Patriots OL has all of a sudden become the best in the league. This can’t be said enough.

If this is for real and they keep this going one more time I think we’ll be celebrating in 12 days.
----------
Am I glad that Brees and the Saints didn't make it Goff is Good but he's no Drew Brees.
----------
I worry about the Patriots defense. They gave up 24 points in the 4th quarter..
----------
The Patriots weakness is on dives and counters and Gurley excels at that as long as he’s healthy. I fully expect the Rams to make the run the focal point. McVay is not the assassin of a play caller that Payton or even McDaniels is (who mercilessly attacks whatever your weakness is), but he is smart. The DT group will have to bring it again.
-----------
We’re gonna play more zone coverage. I believe 9 of his 12 INTs were against zone.

The All-22: How Patriots pressure could make life miserable for Jared Goff
------------
Kind of surprised by the Wade Phillips defenses have been good against the Pats. I guess if you consider 6-3 good then ok?

The outside running lanes are there for the taking for Michel. Think Rams D is averaging 5 ypc on outside carries. They just dont have the personal to stop it. They will have to drop the secondary closer to the line to help out and it’s going to cost them in play action.

Personally, I’m expecting a blowout, but I’ve been wrong before with these predictions.
-----------

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg-hs_Tj9aU

-----------
Goff was the 28th ranked QB when facing pressure I believe. Of course pressure will affect any QB, but it reaaaaally seemed to bother Goff.

Rams have a solid O-line but we need to get pressure. If Goff has time he’s capable of picking you apart. Strong arm and accurate. Pressure will be key, we don’t have to try and sack him every play. Just make him move around the pocket and get him uncomfortable.
------------
Goff looked shaky as hell in the playoffs, I was not particularly impressed.

Only thing that concerns me about the Rams is their defensive tackles. Pressure up the middle reminds me of the Giants in 2007. Then again, Brady is now 11 years wiser and we have a much better running game this time.
---------
This is where I am hung up on being confident in a win. I think the Rams have a big advantage here and I think they will focus here. Let’s hope they overthink it, because their pass game doesn’t worry me. But if they get the run game then those bootlegs and their OLine will be able to give Goff all day.
----------
On the flipside the same can be said for our offense against their run defense. I think the game is pretty evenly matched based on perceived weaknesses and strengths except our pass defense is better than theirs.
-----------
Goff in reality is far closer to his first year Bust play than his more recent good play.
----------
The Rams are actually pretty good in terms of pass defense against RBs and TEs. Kamara was almost more of an exception this season. I would not be surprised if the focus will be more on Edelman and his quick routes and -- of course -- the run game. And then obviously change of pace to White / Gronk and PA now and then.

Given how vulnerable they seem to be on outside runs it could also end up being a game for CP.
----------
We are talking about how inefficient Goff can be be once McVay stops giving him instructions. While I agree that it may be true, they are the #2 seed in NFC and played some good defenses this season and managed to win.

That said, they also lost to Bears, Saints (regular season), Eagles was because Goff couldn't play well. It was not just one qtr but throughout the game. McVay being the genius coach he is, probably is aware of this and will plan accordingly.

Like many people have already said, if we rattle him early and put pressure on him, it doesn't matter if it's McVay talking to him in the headset or someone else, we will win by a good margin. Hopefully that'll happen and we can finally have a superbowl where we start dominating and never let up. I can't handle the blood pressure anymore :D

Personally, I would like this game to be similar to Seattle-Denver super bowl when Seattle won 43-8.
-----------
I've seen Goff played horrid a number of times.

Ants

Starter
"Kind of surprised by the Wade Phillips defenses have been good against the Pats. I guess if you consider 6-3 good then ok?"

Yes, I consider 6-3 "good".
:thinking:
...and that would make 3-6 "bad".
:dizzy:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Shocking a QB has a worse passer rating when pressured. I know I saw a post earlier in the thread where Brady’s was half his normal rating when pressured up the middle. You’d think with all this expert analysis that DC’s would start trying to pressure the QB:sneaky:

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
The biggest knock against Goff is that he will only throw to something he can see (e.g., an open receiver),

How many times have we seen Goff throw before a receiver even reaches the top of his route? Try getting your knowledge from game tape and not the talking heads...

The big thing about Goff is he can’t think for himself. He has Mcvay detailing the defense and their coverage and what to do for the 15 seconds in his helmet and then he follows the script.

giphy.gif

3oAt2dA6LxMkRrGc0g

Rams rode their defense to that win. Goff got really rattled in that stadium. He was panicky on a lot of throws.

Moved us down the field when it mattered most....sooooo

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Belichick doesn't call the plays. McDaniels does and Brady has the option to check down at the line of scrimmage based on what he sees. For example, if you saw the OT drive against KC, Brady was checking down most of the way.

But you know that.
Yeah, we know about McDaniels..We were glad when he left.

Ewe83

Mama's got a new baby boy
By all means doubt us, doubt Goff, doubt our D, ask how well that went for Cowboys and the Saints

rking4441

Rookie
Name
Richard
I love it and will be happy to see their fan base cry like the Saints and Cowboys. They clearly have no idea of what is going on with the Rams and it's not surprising that the myth that McVay "reads" defenses for Goff hasn't died. If that was the case every D cord would wait til 15 sec and then realign their D. Every team has communication with the QB until 15 sec before the play clock expires but the narrative is a joke. Dak, Brees and Brady's next to figure out the hard way that tears come after the fall.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well if you were glad he left why would you care that he split at the first opportunity?
It was analyzing after the fact. WE HOPED he wouldn't suck and were willing to give him room to get better..but he was a quitter, and good riddance.

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
Who's doubting you?

Did you read all of the comments? (No we are not pulling a Tom and using the Patriots "Poor Baby" routine. You can add me to having doubts about my Rams.......you don't just get over 20 years of bad football with a Superbowl birth.

Having said that, any of us who quote stats from the regular season in an atempt to explain an advantage doesn't understand Playoff Football. The winner will be whichever team shows up 100%

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
Well if he sucked, and you were glad he left, why would you care that he split at the first opportunity?

I think it was more about his inability to craft his game plan around the talent he had instead of the scheme he wanted......which is the exact opposite of him with the Patriots. I hate saying it, but BB is a freaking football stud! that makes that team the way it is. (damn that was hard!)

I think it was more about his inability to craft his game plan around the talent he had instead of the scheme he wanted......which is the exact opposite of him with the Patriots. I hate saying it, but BB is a freaking football stud! that makes that team the way it is. (damn that was hard!)

I didn't follow what he was doing there so I don't know.

Did you read all of the comments? (No we are not pulling a Tom and using the Patriots "Poor Baby" routine. You can add me to having doubts about my Rams.......you don't just get over 20 years of bad football with a Superbowl birth.

Having said that, any of us who quote stats from the regular season in an atempt to explain an advantage doesn't understand Playoff Football. The winner will be whichever team shows up 100%

Anybody who doubts their opponent in the SB is a fool.