What is wrong with Jared Goff?!?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Awesome post, and totally respect your opinions. IMO, the interception to Kinlaw was on Goff - sure, he was hit, but I think he was going to Kupp who was double covered - problem #1. And problem #2, the pressure came right up the middle, so he definitely saw it - you don't force a throw to a double covered receiver knowing you're probably going to get hit. The smart play is to tuck it in and take a sack and move on to the next play.

Here's a good view of the play and how I came to my conclusions:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq1H2WUZupo

That may be the smart play, but then the criticism just changes. Instead people start working about throwing it away or making a part in the face of a rush. They'll talk about how he just gave up and took a sack instead of trying to do something.

I agree that the interception does still remain at least partially Goff's responsibility, despite being hit, but I'll give him credit for at least trying to do something. Bias toward action is almost never wrong.

On a different subject:
As far as all the "is it Goff, is it McVay, is it the run game" talk... We're talking about problems that exacerbate each other. If Goff struggles the run game is easier to key on and McVay had to call plays to scheme out of the struggle. Same thing goes off the run game struggles.

When McVay's scheme was new, he could practically pull us out by himself if one part failed. When Gurley was in top form, he could keep us afloat. And Goff is the same. When he's on fire, we're going to win.

There isn't a single cause. There's an interconnected web of performances that collectively haven't been cutting it and it's not easy to pick apart which one was responsible for the failures in any given game when we're on the couch. I don't think it's been one person's failure that's caused all this. Some games it was one, some games another. Playing a super simple blame game is not discussing the actual problem.

Tano

Legend
I think his girlfriend is to blame for his bad first halves because she made him sleep on the couch the night before and he spends the entire first half trying to think up what to say to her so she will forgive him. At halftime, he calls her, she forgives him, and then he has a good to great second half. If she doesn't forgive him, then he is in a funk for the third quarter and finally snaps out of if in the fourth quarter.