What is our current salary cap for 2024?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I think they could work with Noteboom on his contract to get the number down. Some gimmicky one-year extension that gives him an out if he wants. We know he's not back on that 20-mil number.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I would be happy to see the Rams resign their top FAs and sign a quality Edge or CB in free agency while addressing all other needs in the draft.
Based on the history of McSnead, this is how I see it happening as well. They tend to go after vet edge rushers and cb's.

I do hope they change their ways and keep consistency at oline, though. They need to sign Dotson and see what they can do with Boom and Allen's contracts. Getting paid too much to be back ups.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think they could work with Noteboom on his contract to get the number down. Some gimmicky one-year extension that gives him an out if he wants. We know he's not back on that 20-mil number.
He doesn't have to do anything and he's making $10 million. Are you willing to extend him or you think he's going to out of the goodness of his heart reduce his base pay this year from $10 million?

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I would be happy to see the Rams resign their top FAs and sign a quality Edge or CB in free agency while addressing all other needs in the draft.
And Snead pointed out how they likley won't run out in week one abd sign a bunch of guys. Also, they could again focus on cap casualties that won't count against the comp formula.

So they still seem to be focused on squeezing out a few comp picks if possible. So wondering if they may have other plans at LG so they get like a 4th rd comp pick for Dotson if it comes to that. I do think they want to keep him, but they may not be that upset if they get a good pick for him in 25'.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
He doesn't have to do anything and he's making $10 million. Are you willing to extend him or you think he's going to out of the goodness of his heart reduce his base pay this year from $10 million?
I wrote that I would do an extension.
It would have to be structured to guarantee him that money, but you would be spreading it out. It would depend on what his market is, for sure. If it's low, he might consider it.
You'd be pushing money onto next year's cap.. but that's already going to happen if you release him post June 1.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
They don't have to work with him...they can just add another void yr to kick some cap $$ down the road.

Now to work with him, he might want additional yrs w/ guaranteed money added in exchange for a reduction in base salary this yr in order to lower his cap number. His base salary is $10M this yr and if they cut him he is not getting that anywhere else.

Edit: He also has a $5M roster bonus due on the 4th day of the league yr. So if they cut him he could be out $15M. Now maybe some of that was guaranteed, but yeah he could be motivated to rework that deal since he may never see that kind of money on the open market with his injury history.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It would have to be structured to guarantee him that money, but you would be spreading it out. It would depend on what his market is, for sure. If it's low, he might consider it.
You'd be pushing money onto next year's cap.. but that's already going to happen if you release him post June 1.
So instead of him getting $10 million for being cut this year he's going to spread that $10 million out over what 3 years? He may be on his way to sainthood sparing the Rams from the contract they gave him but I'm sceptical. Smart move by him or his agent is to sit tight. Let the Rams either trade or cut you collect your $10 million and sign somewhere else because somebody will sign him.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They don't have to work with him...they can just add another void yr to kick some cap $$ down the road.

Now to work with him, he might want additional yrs w/ guaranteed money added in exchange for a reduction in base salary this yr in order to lower his cap number. His base salary is $10M this yr and if they cut him he is not getting that anywhere else.
What you're suggesting is already done.

1705862822287.png

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
So instead of him getting $10 million for being cut this year he's going to spread that $10 million out over what 3 years? He may be on his way to sainthood sparing the Rams from the contract they gave him but I'm sceptical. Smart move by him or his agent is to sit tight. Let the Rams either trade or cut you collect your $10 million and sign somewhere else because somebody will sign him.
You're going to have the dead money either way.
Why not find a way to make it work for you with a veteran tackle?
It's part of the roster puzzle.. and they could get a vet backup cheap, probably.. but then they're paying that guy AND Boom. They could also draft a tackle high, in which case, you move on post June 1.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Actually, 15 million, he's due a roster bonus of 5 mill

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Actually, 15 million, he's due a roster bonus of 5 mill
Technically if he gets cut it's just $5 million the roster/restructure was already paid to him it just is on the books for accounting. Cap hit if cut or traded is $15 million unless it's post June 1 then it's $5 million each of the next 3 years.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What they can open up, in addition to the $48 million.

From spotrac

CAP CLEARING POSSIBILITIES​

• Process a full base salary conversion on QB Matthew Stafford, freeing up $23.8M of cap when factoring in 2 void years.
  • Process a full base salary + $5M roster bonus conversion on WR Cooper Kupp, freeing up $15M of cap when factoring in 2 void years.
  • Convert TE Tyler Higbee’s $5.5M guaranteed roster bonus into signing bonus, then release him, freeing up $8.2M of cap when factoring in 3 void years.
  • Release OT Joseph Noteboom, freeing up $5M of cap
  • Release OL Brian Allen, freeing up $4.1M of cap
  • Process a full base salary + $5M roster bonus conversion on DT Aaron Donald, freeing up $11M of cap when factoring in 4 void years
I think that adds up to an additional $67 million.. and.. no, they aren’t going all of that.
The Stafford thing seems like a slam dunk, though.
Stafford and then cutting Allen and Noteboom. That's 30 something million.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I think people are gonna be surprised about how many players the Rams let go this offseason.

McVay already alluded to a lot of players leaving. Don't have the video but I remember seeing him say it.

I don't think it's that surprising. Their free agent list has very few priorities.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's owed 15 mill for '24 if he remains with the team, with additional 5 mill of dead cap & 2 void years in '25 & '26 that carry 10 mill of additional dead cap
That's 30 mill of salary/dead cap for a player with 1 year left on his contract
For a guy who's only been available for 60% of the games over the last 5 seasons, the only reasonable solution is to release him and possibly re-sign him if both sides are amenable

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On paper it's easy to say restructure Stafford, however looking at his deal it is anything but.
They could convert a large portion of his 31 mill salary to bonus, and spread that out over the remaining contract, but his cap hit '25 & '26 is already 50 mill per season with 37 mill of dead cap

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
He's owed 15 mill for '24 if he remains with the team, with additional 5 mill of dead cap & 2 void years in '25 & '26 that carry 10 mill of additional dead cap
That's 30 mill of salary/dead cap for a player with 1 year left on his contract
For a guy who's only been available for 60% of the games over the last 5 seasons, the only reasonable solution is to release him and possibly re-sign him if both sides are amenable
All great points.
We’ll see what path they take.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I think people are gonna be surprised about how many players the Rams let go this offseason.

McVay already alluded to a lot of players leaving. Don't have the video but I remember seeing him say it.

And I think people will be disappointed in how few restructures we do to add cap.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
And I think people will be disappointed in how few restructures we do to add cap.
I certainly will be.
They have a 2-3 year window with Stafford.
Not using available resources would be a complete waste.