What Grade Do The Rams Get For This Draft?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
B- or B

Snead said it right - role players.

Probably not a decent starter in the draft, but hopefully we added some good depth and role players who can come in and make an impact in key situations.

Micah Kiser should see early down work against the run.
John Kelly looks like he can fit this offense well in a relief role for Gurley.
Travin Howard and Ogbonnia Okoronkwo (great value pick) will be perfect for Wade. He'll find the right time/place to get them in favourable mismatches. We've got the makings of causing some serious headaches when we rush the passer.

Not sure about any of the O and D lineman. Don't know enough about them. Their talent does seem clearly evident, but we will see what the coaches can get out of them.

@TexasRam may be right:

"I don’t grade drafts anymore but if I had to guess I’d say in 5 years we will look back and see this as a D.

Lots of role players and maybe no starters let alone pro bowlers. More help is with depth now players.

But we will see."

Not sure that is a bad result considering our lack of early draft capital.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
A+.
1st round: Brandon Cooks, arguably Antonio Brown's clone. Couldn't have selected a better WR in the draft with this pick.
2nd round: Marcus Peters, the NFLs premiere ball hawking CB. Will play opposite Aquib Talib for one of the best CB tandem in the league right now.
But wait there's more! No need to wait for these guys to develop. They come preloaded with NFL experience and accolades.
3rd round thru 7th round: icing on the cake. Excited to see guys like Noteboom and Obo and Kiser and Kelly in camp. Would've liked to see them draft a developmental QB but I think our QB room is good for now. Thankful we didn't have to draft a QB at #1 again this year.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A+.
1st round: Brandon Cooks, arguably Antonio Brown's clone. Couldn't have selected a better WR in the draft with this pick.
2nd round: Marcus Peters, the NFLs premiere ball hawking CB. Will play opposite Aquib Talib for one of the best CB tandem in the league right now.
But wait there's more! No need to wait for these guys to develop. They come preloaded with NFL experience and accolades.
3rd round thru 7th round: icing on the cake. Excited to see guys like Noteboom and Obo and Kiser and Kelly in camp. Would've liked to see them draft a developmental QB but I think our QB room is good for now. Thankful we didn't have to draft a QB at #1 again this year.
Nice way of looking at it!

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just looking at the draft itself (Cooks, Peters, etc. give the off-season an A+), I think I'll give it a decent B. I agree with others that they really must have just identified the guys they wanted and picked them when they wanted to do so, draft projections be d@mned.

But, if you look at the draft like they were graded by most prognosticators, it looks better. Still a B, but a more sensical B.

3 Obo Oko
4 M. Kiser
4 J. Kelly
5 T. Scales
5 J. Noteboom
6 J. Demby
6 B. Allen
6 J. Franklin-myers
6 S. Joseph
7 T. Young
7 J. Lawler

So, I'm going to pretend this is how they were drafted, and sleep better at night.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Nobody took Holland so maybe there was a reason they passed 11 times...

And tough to grade the selections past roubd 5 because those guys are long shots.... anyone they would take there would be long shots. So those picks have a ceiling if you are grading the player himself as a C
11 mistakes... a new record?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I give it a "D"

Because right now it's a Depth draft.

"Grades" are meaningless, anyway.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I give it a "D"

Because right now it's a Depth draft.

"Grades" are meaningless, anyway.

Well, it's a depth draft because the higher picks were traded for impact players. Even then, I think a couple of picks will be major contributors eventually. And teams need depth from their later picks.

I won't give it a grade, but they did have a good plan overall, which is all we can know at this stage.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
B- or B

Snead said it right - role players.

Probably not a decent starter in the draft, but hopefully we added some good depth and role players who can come in and make an impact in key situations.

Micah Kiser should see early down work against the run.
John Kelly looks like he can fit this offense well in a relief role for Gurley.
Travin Howard and Ogbonnia Okoronkwo (great value pick) will be perfect for Wade. He'll find the right time/place to get them in favourable mismatches. We've got the makings of causing some serious headaches when we rush the passer.

Not sure about any of the O and D lineman. Don't know enough about them. Their talent does seem clearly evident, but we will see what the coaches can get out of them.

@TexasRam may be right:

"I don’t grade drafts anymore but if I had to guess I’d say in 5 years we will look back and see this as a D.

Lots of role players and maybe no starters let alone pro bowlers. More help is with depth now players.

But we will see."

Not sure that is a bad result considering our lack of early draft capital.

I disagree, feel there is a very good chance two possibly three of these guys could become quality starters, if not maybe even one more

Time will reveal soon enough

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I don't know how to grade this draft this early, but the way I look at it is we got Cooks, Peters plus needed help at the OLine and LB positions which we addressed so I see it as a great draft.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Rather than try to attach a grade, i'll go with the pass-fail method used by some schools. The Rams definitely get a pass ! As mentioned in a previous thread, this draft will have a bigger impact on our practice squad more-so than our 53 roster. Following free agency our team had few concerns with starters prior to this draft, and most of us got what we wanted in addressing specific depth issues, maybe not the exact names we were all bandying about, but the positions were dealt with in a major way. At this point it's very difficult to determine which of our newly drafted players will receive the highest real time, real game snaps, it could be a very small number so long as we avoid serious injuries, although i'd guess Kiser, Okoronkwo, Kelly & Howard or one of the UDFA Safeties could be in the running.

With up to 14 players entering free agency in 2019, the Rams are attempting to cover their backside should we lose players along both the offensive and defensive lines, they found plenty of depth at LB, and drafted a RB which can help rest Gurley and partially replace Austin's snaps, so i'd say Rams management got the positions right in this draft, whether the names are right, only time, coaching and practice will tell. Either way, the bottom of our roster should be strengthened and depth will be improved. jmo.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Im pretty clueless when it comes to college players, I dont watch much college ball. That being said why are we so ecstatic about this LB? Why did he fall so far?

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
A+. They did the best they could. I love all the picks. That is not to say they will become productive players.

It looks like Snead drafted players that where productive instead of players that were good athletes. I am fine with that.

Defense is all about scheme. I have seen some pretty good defenses in the past that didn't have great players. We just need a good defense. Not a great one.

Last edited:

dang

Legend
I trust Rams FO but had following questions:
1) why did Tyrell Crosby drop so low?
2) did Rams try to get Jewel in R3 or Sweat in R4?
3) did Rams consider Jeff Holland, Sean Welsh, Holton Hill or Hercules Mata'afa with a R7 pick?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I trust Rams FO but had following questions:
1) why did Tyrell Crosby drop so low?
2) did Rams try to get Jewel in R3 or Sweat in R4?
3) did Rams consider Jeff Holland, Sean Welsh, Holton Hill or Hercules Mata'afa with a R7 pick?

A number of players were brought in which weren't picked up by the team, my guess is while they probably had decent college careers and some good tape, they may not all have aced the interview process. It's been previously mentioned that the Rams are seeking intelligent, mature knowledgeable & passionate football players whom have also been described more recently as good 'human beings' by both Snead and McVay. What their qualifications are for good 'human beings' hasn't really been articulated well by the organization, although i'll assume they want guys who not only play well, but are known to have good leadership skills, quality locker room team-mates who are free from distractions and can easily take directions. Even over a simple dinner you can often get enough of a perception for whether you want to continue pursuing a relationship, ... or perhaps some of these guys ordered lobster, steak and a bottle of champaign when they might have gone for the tacos and iced tea ?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
But does he bogart that joint?

But let me get to the point, let's roll another joint
And turn the radio loud, I'm too alone to be proud
You don't know how it feels
You don't know how it feels to be me

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My biggest thing is did the Rams get players to fit the perceived needs of the team? I don't care if there were players you or I had rated higher that's irrelevant and frankly arrogant to assume you know better than guys like Aaron Kromer and Wade Phillips and their fellow coaches. Did the Rams fill positions that we all thought they needed?

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I haven't read through all the posts on this thread ... and I think it has to to be re-iterated that you truly can't "grade" a draft class right after the draft. It can take up to 3 yrs to be able to do that. ...That all said ... I WILL proclaim that we got BETTER as a team as a whole than we were last yr. I know .. "Duh" .. but I mean straight through our depth chart. We are better ... no matter how this shakes out. The NFL should be and is scared of us right now... that I can guarantee :sneaky::mrburnsevil::rimshot:

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I must preface what i just posted .... we HAVE to keep Goff healthy. the worst area of depth we have is at QB .. like most teams. .. but after Goff ... the talent drop is significant