What Giants Fans Are Saying Before And After The Game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor

View: https://twitter.com/jb_long/status/926159721408618496

Didn’t know where else to post this. Loving the no huddle.

I guess they get until the play clock winds down to 15 and then the head set from McVay To Goff goes silent. They get to the line quick so McVay can see the D formation and then tells Goff the play or plays & audible to run before the communication goes dead. That's why they can't seem to stop us in the no huddle.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I guess they get until the play clock winds down to 15 and then the head set from McVay To Goff goes silent. They get to the line quick so McVay can see the D formation and then tells Goff the play or plays & audible to run before the communication goes dead. That's why they can't seem to stop us in the no huddle.

I think fatigue and an inability to sub have a lot to do with it too. It limits the DC's playbook.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I’m not saying this will be a gimme, but this is about as favourable matchup you can get.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow, great TV reference from a long time ago..You can't be a spring chicken if you remember that in real time...Right there with McMillan and wife...
3HcSYoJ.png

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
https://www.bigblueview.com/2017/11...s-are-jared-goff-and-sean-mcvay-the-real-deal

Giants vs. Rams: Are Jared Goff and Sean McVay the real deal?
Let’s learn about that and more in this week’s “Five Questions”
by Ed Valentine

861723464.0.jpg

Photo by Sam Greenwood/Getty Images

A year ago, the New York Giants were the big dog and the Los Angeles Rams the struggling group when the teams met in a game won by the Giants, 17-10. This year, roles are reversed with the Rams at 5-2 and the Giants 1-6.

Let’s learn more about the new-look Rams from Joseph McAfee of SB Nation’s Turf Show Times in this week’s “Five Questions” segment.

Ed: Your thoughts on Sean McVay? At 5-2 and averaging more than 30 points per game, I'd assume he and Rams fans are in a honeymoon phase.

JM: Yeah, the honeymoon is on, no doubt. Really, it's not even about the sheer magnitude of success that the record indicates. It's just how long it's been since the Rams weren't bad.

Right now, the Rams are 2nd in the NFL in points per game. From 2007-2016, the highest the Rams were in points per game was 21st. The Rams have been so anemic and so underwhelming (at best) for so long that the novelty of being un-bad is perhaps what's really hitting home.

And I dropped as succinct of a blurb as I could on McVay in my section at our NFL Midseason Awards in which he won Coach of the Year to this point. Put simply, it's absolutely incredible that a first-time coach as young as he is has done as well as he has. It's unlikely and unanticipated in both the scope and acceleration of his and the team's success.

So yeah. Honeymoon.

Ed: How big of a step forward has Jared Goff taken? Do you believe he is the real deal?

JM: A big one, but bigger ones are yet to come. Goff, and this team, just hasn't played a ton of meaningful late season football in the past decade. Forget the playoffs. The Rams haven't had a winning season since 2003.

The only season in which the Rams were playing meaningful December football was 2010 when rookie QB Sam Bradford took the Rams to Week 17 in Seattle with a chance to win and sneak in the playoffs. Since then, December has been about getting rookies and UDFA youth playing time for the next season, the kind of situation you laid out for the Giants recently.

The Rams know that kind of football well. We know how guys look in that kind of a December. Is Jared Goff the real deal? We have to see how he's doing late in the season and late in games. He wasn't just the #1 overall pick of the 2016 NFL Draft.

The Rams traded up to get sacrificing quite a bit of draft capital to do so. So he has to be good enough to merit the opportunity costs of a second-round and third-round pick last year and a first-round pick this year. The Rams could have had three players in the last two drafts instead of Goff.

He's taken a big step toward making that decision look less perilous. But in order for him to really legitimize that decision and be "the real deal", he's going to have to win games when it matters most. And we're just not there yet.

Ed: Are the Rams a contender or a pretender? And, regardless, are you happy with the direction of the franchise?

JM: I know Geoff Schwartz had us as a pretender over at the mothership. And sure, I'll cop to some obvious bias ... but I gotta have em as a contender.

The Rams are second in scoring. They've beaten the Cowboys in Dallas. And the Jaguars in Jacksonville. And the 49ers in ... ok yeah, it's the Niners. But still! The Rams have just two losses this season. One was a game against Washington that was tied late in the fourth. QB Kirk Cousins led his guys down the field for a TD.

Goff tossed an interception in the response possession (this kinda dovetails with your question above as to if he's learned from that pick when he's in this situation again and if he can lead a late game drive for a victory). The other was a sloppy performance against the Seahawks in which the Rams had five turnovers...and only lost by a touchdown. I've gotta take contenders.

As for the direction of the franchise, obviously I'm excited about it. I do wonder if perhaps things are moving a bit too fast for a team this young and a coaching staff this new to each other, but that's the good kind of problem to have. I thought this would be a team that was slow out the gate and got better over the course of the season to develop as a contender in 2018 having taken some lumps and allowed the coaching staff to smooth those out.

To give Goff and co. a chance to make some mistakes and lose some tough games to learn from. I don't know that they've had enough of those lessons, but maybe they don't need them. Maybe this is just the right situation where the existing roster combined with the new personnel moves and coaching staff just happened to converge at once to create something good. Or really good. Or special. I dunno which is which, but yeah I'm excited to find out.

Ed: If you could take one player not named Odell Beckham off the Giants roster and put him in the Rams lineup who would it be? Why?

JM: Yes, I would like Odell Beckham, Jr., instead. Thanks.

Nah, it's a bit of a tough question. You guys have talent on the D-line, but the Rams are fine up front. JPP and Olivier Vernon might not fit well as 3-4 OLBs where the Rams could use some help. It took an extra season to backfill his spot, but Janoris Jenkins isn't the commodity he would be as a return candidate as he was in 2016. Same goes for DRC, minus the return factor. And at safety, Lamarcus Joyner and rookie John Johnson are developing into a very high quality duo, so Landon Collins isn't the window shopping I'd do either.

I'll go with TE Evan Engram. McVay comes from a tight end coaching background and his history suggests he's going to lean on the position heavily. So even though the Rams took Tyler Higbee in the fourth round in 2016 and spent their 2017 NFL Draft second-round pick on young Gerald Everett, I'd add Engram to the mix. He's probably the most talented of the three and having that depth at what could be the most important position in McVay's system wouldn't be a horrible thing.

Ed: The Rams are favored and considering the fact that the Giants are a fractured mess with a ton of injured players, should win this game. Is there anything about Sunday that scares you?

JM: Yeah, being in this position. The Rams are favored on the road. That's ... new. There's talk of this being a trap game and the Rams are the trappee and not the trapper. That's ... new.

It kind of goes back to what I was talking about in your second question. We're in relatively uncharted waters. Jared Goff isn't bad. The offensive line isn't bad. The Rams aren't bad. The coaching isn't bad. With a nod to Stranger Things 2, we're kind of in the upside down.

So yeah, Sunday is kinda scary!

----------
Rams are for real
Incredibly, the Rams now have the type of team that’s capable of making a deep playoff run. I’m jealous!
----------
"Giants vs. Rams: Are Jared Goff and Sean McVay the real deal?"
From the left coast, seeing more of the Rams than I thought that I would watch: yes.
OK! I'll ask the question, Who the F)*k is "JM"!?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Don't forget - Standard time begins again.
---------
Gloomy with a 90% chance of tears.
----------
With Hochuli's crew working the game, it could be raining flags, especially for line play.
My sympathies to the widows of the Giants Players! BUT ......

Violance.jpg

arena.png

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://boards.giants.com/forum/new-...-about-giants-football/2996168-richburg-to-ir

Giants place starting center Weston Richburg on IR

How often is a concussion an IR injury with 8 games to play?
----------
its definitely odd
---------
Could have sworn it was when Eli got manhandled and thrown to the ground like a ragdoll. While in the trajectory to the ground, Eli accidentally leg whpped a grounded Richburg in the head , who (Richburg) had just been on the receiving end of a punishing blitzing cornerback who had just throttled him.
----------
Probably the end of his time as a Giant
-----------
http://boards.giants.com/forum/new-...ost-bye-game-against-the-rams-|-injury-report

6 Giants ruled out for post-bye game against the Rams | Injury report

OUT for the Giants on Sunday: LB Jonathan Casillas, LB BJ Goodson, RT Justin Pugh, DE Olivier Vernon, C Weston Richburg, DE Kerry Wynn

A couple of thoughts here...
No linebackers on Sunday...no big deal, we haven't had any since '11 anyway.
No Pugh...for all of you guys who want to get rid of Eli, you might get your wish.
No Richburg...that's some concussion...the kid from Canada is better that Reese's 2nd round pick anyway
No Vernon, No Wynn...Rams add a little help to JPP's side and Goff will be able to have lunch back there.
Sunday should be fabulous.
---------
I was at the game and didn't notice Pugh's injury...then i saw 68 out there and almost threw up. Eli's gonna get it from both sides this week. Just like week one.
----------
On no....we're screwed, (spoken in a monotone, Ben Stein-ish voice)
--------
Mr Bill might be more appropriate, lol.
---------
To bad McAdoo isn’t injured.
--------
How is that even possible? can 2017 just end, please....
-----------
https://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=559366

and to think we have 9 games to go. What a nightmare.
--------
Rams have 23 sacks coming in Conner Barwin must be licking his chops with Brockers and Donald in the middle .

Eli might want to go with the flack jacket this week .
---------
Looking forward to another fun filled Sunday afternoon Giant game.
---------
And are they trying to get Eli killed? No OL, No receivers, and no run game... great. We might keep pace with SF and CLE after all.
----------
These guys might care about winning, but they are not going to risk their careers pushing the envelope on injuries at 1-6.

Can t blame them.
--------
Keep Eli alive...play ' the bodies'....let the auditions begin!
---------
https://www.bigblueview.com/2017/11...-flowers-better-but-giants-offense-a-hot-mess

Shaun O’Hara: Ereck Flowers “better,” but Giants’ offense a “hot mess”
Ex-Giant offers thoughts
by Ed Valentine

usa_today_9735896.0.jpg

Scott R. Galvin-USA TODAY Sports

The New York Giants’ much-maligned offensive line will feature its sixth starting configuration of the season on Sunday when Justin Pugh sits out with Bobby Hart likely starting at right tackle. That has to be part of the reason former Giants and current NFL analyst Shaun O’Hara doesn’t like what he sees.

"If you want to know good offensive line coaching and good offensive line groups all you have to do is turn on the tape and all their footwork looks the same. They're all stepping with the same feet. In combo blocks they all look the same,” O’Hara said during an appearance this week on the ‘Game Theory and Money’ podcast. “The Giants, you turn them on, they look like five totally different offensive linemen. They don't have the same footwork."

Whether that’s a shot at Giants offensive line coach Mike Solari or not isn’t clear. Take it any way you want. With guys going from position to position (Pugh, John Jerry and Brett Jones have all played two spots this season) it shouldn’t be surprising that things don’t always look right.

O’Hara addressed a variety of other topics related to the Giants’ offensive line.

Ereck Flowers
Of course, O’Hara was asked — and had a lot to say — about the often-criticized third-year left tackle.

"He's gotten better this year. He's still kind of become the whipping boy in New York. If Eli gets hit it's automatically Flowers' fault. That's kind of the narrative that's gone on,” O’Hara said. "He still struggles with a lot of elementary aspects and techniques in o-line play, which that to me is what's frustrating to see and what's a head scratcher.”

At times we see Flowers beaten by defenders he should be sealing off on the back side of run plays. O’Hara has a theory:

“I think he's really tight in the hips and he can't open up and run. As good as they've said his footwork is coming out he's not as athletic as you would think he would be,” he said.

We have also heard multiple times that Flowers’ usage of his hands is inconsistent. Here’s O’Hara on that:

“He's always struggled with his hands. He looks like Yogi Bear the way that he just kind of hugs everybody. He got away with it in college so it's kind of become a bad habit for him,” O’Hara said.

"You can see him working on it, he's really trying. when he gets his hands inside he's a really good left tackle because he's really strong. But he doesn't trust that punch and when he starts to go against a speed rusher or a guy that's got a little shake 'n bake he doesn't trust the punch so then he just grabs. It's kinda like his safety net, and that's where he gets himself in trouble."

We have also seen video clip after video clip of Flowers dropping his head in pass protection. O’Hara explains why that happens:

"The other thing I look at is you should never have your face in the block in pass pro. Anytime you watch a tackle and you see he got beat, nine times out of 10 it's because he got his face in the block When you bring your face with the punch and they chop 'em (your hands) down your head goes down, too, and when that happens you're done, they're by your shoulder,” O’Hara said.

"That's one of the things that Ereck Flowers really needs to work on. I can't tell you how many times I've seen him get beat and it's just that simple getting your face into the block."

Brett Jones
A third-year player, Jones has seen his most extensive action this season. He has started one game at left guard, and Sunday will be his fourth straight start at center in place of Weston Richburg, who remains out with a concussion.

"I think Brett Jones has actually done a really good job. I think he's been phenomenal in the run game and he's a little spark plug. He's like the size of a fire hydrant, but he’s got really run action,” O’Hara said. “One of the things we always say as o lineman is 'get your feet out of the hole.'

It creates movement in the run game, but also protects you from guys falling on your ankles, that's how you get hurt. He does a great job getting his feet out of the hole on back blocks and a lot of those 'A' gap runs that we saw Orleans Darkwa bust against Denver."

The running game
The Giants are 30th in the NFL in rushing attempts per game (21.3), 22nd in yards per rushing attempt (3.9) and 27th in rushing yards per game at 83.3. In their only victory of the season, over the Denver Broncos, the Giants ran the ball 32 times for 148 yards. That was offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan’s first game calling plays.

"The Giants o line, here's the problem. The problem is that a lot of their runs are shotgun runs and they're out of two-point (stance). They don't get to fire out and be super-aggressive a lot of times, and then at the end of the game they try to go into their four-minute offense and they try to run run plays they haven't been running all game long and it doesn't work,” O’Hara said.

"I'm sure they're frustrated, too, as offensive linemen if you don't get 25 runs in a game it's hard to get rhythm. We saw once Mike Sullivan took over they kind of committed to that run. As long as they do that it will help them out, but right now they don't have anybody to throw it to. It's really a hot mess right now."
----------
McAdoo will tell ya ...

giphy.gif

----------
Rams fan here.
I will say, coming out Ereck Flowers was a guy who reminded me way too much of Greg Robinson at the time. Greg Robinson, who happened to be the Rams left tackle, was absolutely awful. Liked to hold way too much and couldn’t ever really figure out how to get technically better, even though our Oline coach had shown a knack for developing talent prior to him.

In Flowers, I saw the same type of guy. A guy who just wasn’t fit for the NFL technically, but was just an athletic marvel. If those guys ever learned how to use their hands and feet in sync, they could easily be Top 5 tackles, but that doesn’t seem to be the case…

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Speaking of Richburg, if he can come back from that concussion okay, he'd be a great replacement for Sullivan this off-season.

Relwolf91

Starter
Name
Sean
I am so confident that the rams should destroy the Giants but this sure does feel like a trap game... we should be so explosive on offense and defense but after last years performance against this team I am a little nervous.

Obviously we are a whole different team this year and we totally out match them, we just tend to have bad luck in games where we are not the underdog.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just want Goff to come out here and throw for 300+ yards and 4 TDs while we punish the Giants in a 38-7 win.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I just want Goff to come out here and throw for 300+ yards and 4 TDs while we punish the Giants in a 38-7 win.
I’d love to see that also, we’re going to find out a lot about the Rams tomorrow, are they the kind of team that reads their press clippings and allows this to be a trap game...OR are they focused and on a mission?

Big test thru my eyes

TexasRam

Legend
Speaking of Richburg, if he can come back from that concussion okay, he'd be a great replacement for Sullivan this off-season.

Great point. Highest rated pass
Blocking center and also a great run blocker when his hand is not tore up.

I would think the Giants would try to lock him up, but if not we may be in the market if Sully can’t be re-signed.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great point. Highest rated pass
Blocking center and also a great run blocker when his hand is not tore up.

I would think the Giants would try to lock him up, but if not we may be in the market if Sully can’t be re-signed.

It sounds like they want to stick with Brett Jones.