What Cowboys Fans Are Saying

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Their offense really goes as Gurley goes. He's their only special player. Cooks is good, so is Woods, so is their Oline, so is Goff, so is Reynolds. They have good players elsewhere but nobody that really scares you. If Gurley is limited, this is a huge plus for us.

This is partially true and not true.

I would agree that Gurley is the only truly special player on O. But I can't agree that Cooks, Woods, Goff and the OL are just "good" They are all very good to excellent and while Goff stumbled a bit he's proven he can destroy a defense.

And frankly Woods probably scares any defenses #2 DB so I don't agree with "nobody that really scares you".

Even without Gurley the O can score plenty. CJ is holding his own.

RamInferno

UDFA
https://cowboyszone.com/threads/scouting-the-rams.426077/
As much as McVeigh gets credit for being a genius, by the end I thought his offense was very predictable. They run the same play action play over and over. Same jet sweep over and over (and they hand it on the sweep a lot). Same inside zone run. The whole thing is misdirection. Don't fall for the eye candy. Do not bite on play action cause this play action into a deep-in route is their best play.

It really kills me to read analysis like this. Just don't bite on the play action and you will shut down the Ram's passing game?

Sure, it doesn't take a genius to figure out how to shut down one aspect of a team's offense. But what do you have to sacrifice in order to accomplish this? If you don't bite on the play action and send your linebackers into deep drops to take away the middle of the field, how are you going to stop Gurley from rushing for 200+ yards?

------------
Dallas needs to sell out to stop the run and bring lots of blitzes to get Goff rattled. They blitzed the hell out of Wilson and it worked perfectly. I hadn't seen that much blitzing since the NO game. We rattled both Brees and

Here's the other side of the same coin. Sure, sell out to stop Gurley with run blitzes, but then how are you going to stop the play action passes described above with the middle of the field left wide open? It isn't difficult to take away one aspect of a team's offense.

The challenge is how do you take away Gurley while simultaneously taking away the play action game? Because whatever you do to stop one leaves you more vunerable to the other.

Liberator

Pro Bowler
https://cowboyszone.com/threads/scouting-the-rams.426077/

Scouting the Rams

So, I watched a lot of Rams games last night (both Seattle, second Arizona, Detroit, Philly, Chicago, Green Bay, New Orleans). Here's what I think:

1) Their offense really goes as Gurley goes. He's their only special player. Cooks is good, so is Woods, so is their Oline, so is Goff, so is Reynolds. They have good players elsewhere but nobody that really scares you. If Gurley is limited, this is a huge plus for us.

2) As much as McVeigh gets credit for being a genius, by the end I thought his offense was very predictable. They run the same play action play over and over. Same jet sweep over and over (and they hand it on the sweep a lot). Same inside zone run. The whole thing is misdirection. Don't fall for the eye candy. Do not bite on play action cause this play action into a deep-in route is their best play.

3) The offense plays horizontal. Yes, they throw the ball down the field on play action, but even those plays are not outside the numbers. They always hit guys running horizontal to the line. Lots of square-ins, drags, and dig routes. In fact,Goff seems shaky on passes outside the numbers.

He will throw a quick out, or a mid level out only on roll outs. But he rarely throws deep outside the numbers, and when he does, it's usually inaccurate. The middle of the field is absolutely key. It may be because their receivers are so small, they can't win outside. So play inside leverage like we usually do.

4) Goff is quite inaccurate when pressured. His mechanics get bad. Also, he will turn the ball over. Did in every game I watched, and most games had a couple more near-turnovers. Pressure him, or even just cover well on the play action, and he forces stuff, throws stuff up. I can see getting at least two turnovers off him in a high pressure game.

5) They do not like and are not very good at moving the ball in small chunks all the way down the field. Goff gets impatient. They expect junk plays, and that is behind why he ends up throwing picks it seems. Bend but don't break will break them.

6) Their D is pretty bad. Their linebackers are trash. Once you get past the Dline, the running game feasts. Zeke could really go off. Their secondary is also pretty bad. Safeties don't like to tackle. Their corners get toasted regularly. Peters is awful now. Must be the most overrated player in the league. in every game, he gets toasted and then throws up his hands in this whiny, loser sort of way.

He tries to jump routes so any double move burns him. Like every time. In general, their body language and hustle on defense is poor. They don't run to the ball like we do. They don't seem like they believe in themselves. They certainly look like they play for a paycheck more than for the love. Their Defense is all about the Dline. It's the only good part. Block Donald, and you win this game. Maybe easily.

7) Seemed like their special teams allowed some long returns in about half those games.

All-in-all, I expected to come out of this impressed and scared of their offense. It's scary, but not better than New Orleans and very Gurley-dependent. If he is limited, I think we can hold them to 20. If not, we probably need to score 28 to 31 to win.

They have been much worse the last 5-6 games, too, than they were earlier in the year. probably bc teams are figuring out the coach. like I said, I don't see genius -- I see a guy who has a few plays that work and goes to those same plays over and over.
--------------
I wonder if we are going to handle Gurley's presence in the passing game similarly to how we handled Kamara/Ingram.

Using the nickel corner in that match-up instead of a linebacker was stupid effective.
-------------
I wouldn't worry about the dump offs too much. Every time Goff is forced to dump off, the chances that he forces a bad pass go up. He gets frustrated pretty easily.
-----------
If you can stop gurley you can stop them
----------
Dallas has to make sure Donald plays on his side of the line of scrimmage. If he is in the backfield all night the Cowboys offense will struggle. I am concerned Su'a-Filo will struggle with Donald's quickness - if he plays.

I recall the last time the Cowboys played the Rams the game was close in the first half - until Sean Lee go hurt. After that, the Rams offense scored every time they got the ball and Gurley killed us. That was when Jaylon Smith was not fully recovered and he was inexperienced. Now, with LVE and Smith playing at such a high level, I expect them to make Gurley earn his yards.

Goff had a great game the last time they played but I agree they need to pressure him into mistakes and force him to make bad decisions. This is a game Dallas can win but its going to take their A game to do it on the road.
------------
Dallas needs to sell out to stop the run and bring lots of blitzes to get Goff rattled. They blitzed the hell out of Wilson and it worked perfectly. I hadn't seen that much blitzing since the NO game. We rattled both Brees and Wilson. We can do it to Goff too.
-----------
Their offense hasn't been the same since Cooper Kupp got hurt. Josh Reynolds is a decent No. 3 WR. But Kupp knew how to find the open areas and Goff trusted him. With Kupp out, Gurley not 100% and their awful run defense, I like our chances.
------------
Great write up. But to read it. It seems you are describing a 3-13 team, not a 13-3 team. As we know it is a 13-3 team.

Still a scary team.

I think too many fans are penciling in it as a win, and some are using ink.
-------------
Tough game to be sure but I think we're pretty evenly matched, despite the records. Rams' flawed defense and immobile QB are going to cost them at some point, could be this Saturday.
-------------
Stars are aligning.

No reason at all we can’t beat this team.

Run the ball and go hit Goff.
-----------
They will likely put up 20 at least. It's just not this scary, greatest-show-on-turf type team I expected.
----------
Thankfully they don't have a decent tight end, or run zone-reads, which have been big weaknesses for us.
----------
Yeah, and it seems like one of our weaknesses has been the deep ball on the sidelines. Chido and Byron have both been beat on close ones on those plays. I didn't see the Rams make any of those.
----------
It's going to be as tough and probably tougher than last week. Rams have had 2 weeks to prep and get healthy. On the other side, they will hopefully start a little rusty from going full speed.

On D, their going to line the box like the Hags did to stop Zeke. We have to mix the run/pass with proper execution (no penalties) and move the chains. Keep Gurley off the field and keep him turned inside from those off tackle plays they run.

Just hope the refs let us play.
-------------
The Rams are a very good football team and we are going on the road.
They deserve the point spread in their favor.

But we have faced better WR corps this year and held up: ATL/TB
I don't know that we've faced an offense quite this good aside from New Orleans.

And the Rams DL is outstanding but they really fall off on the 2nd and 3rd levels.

DAL has a shot at that's about all you can ask for given a 3-5 start that ensured road games at this point in the playoffs.

DAL has won 8 of 9 and is arguably the hottest team in the NFC.
--------------
Just curious - since a lot of analysts paint the Seahawks as a near mirror image of the Cowboys, what did the Rams do well to beat them this year?
-----------
Surprisingly, both games were kinda shoot outs. In both, neither team could stop the run. Gurley gashed them, and the Seahawks ran well too. Wilson made crucial turnovers in both games, and both games came down to the final drive, with Seattle having a chance.

One thing I should have said is -- WE MUST WIN THE TURNOVER BATTLE. If we give them easy opportunities, it will turn into a shoot out. That's what happened with Seattle. Good news is, as I mentioned, Goff will give us a chance to get our hands on the ball. I was surprised how careless he can be at times

Wow lucky of the Rams to switch places with the Cards for the playoffs based on the Cowboys perspective.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
AFTER we beat the Cowboys, think how glorious the build up will be vs New Orleans for the NFCCG? I know it's "cool" to downgrade the Rams right now in the media because they truly don't want us in that game. They want their golden child, the Dallas Cowboys, to play in this premier game vs the Saints. Better ratings and more money I would imagine for the networks if the Rams were to punk out and lose to an inferior team like the Cowboys.

How about fucking no?

Rams need to wreck their narrative and shove it up their collective asses.

Last edited:

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
One thing I should have said is -- WE MUST WIN THE TURNOVER BATTLE. If we give them easy opportunities, it will turn into a shoot out. That's what happened with Seattle. Good news is, as I mentioned, Goff will give us a chance to get our hands on the ball. I was surprised how careless he can be at times

Actually, I believe that if they give the Rams easy opportunities, it won't be a shoot-out but rather the Rams will smoke them big time...

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
But we have faced better WR corps this year and held up: ATL/TB
2 top 15 NFL receivers not too mention if we had a healthy Kupp. I sure hope their Defense is stupid enough to buy into this statement...

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i watched a few segments about the rams v cowboys game last night on youtube. it made me sick. it was all about zeke and dak and how the rams give up 5.1ypc. it's like they were told this is the news story for today and here is the script.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2 top 15 NFL receivers not too mention if we had a healthy Kupp. I sure hope their Defense is stupid enough to buy into this statement...
Brother,I sure hope you get to give your Cowboy co-workers shit all week after we win....Let us live vicariously through you, with the tears they shed!

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Brother,I sure hope you get to give your Cowboy co-workers crap all week after we win....Let us live vicariously through you, with the tears they shed!
Oh you know I will Brotha!!!! There will be no mercy for the coworkers and misguided nephews.

johneric8

UDFA
It really kills me to read analysis like this. Just don't bite on the play action and you will shut down the Ram's passing game?

Sure, it doesn't take a genius to figure out how to shut down one aspect of a team's offense. But what do you have to sacrifice in order to accomplish this? If you don't bite on the play action and send your linebackers into deep drops to take away the middle of the field, how are you going to stop Gurley from rushing for 200+ yards?

------------

Here's the other side of the same coin. Sure, sell out to stop Gurley with run blitzes, but then how are you going to stop the play action passes described above with the middle of the field left wide open? It isn't difficult to take away one aspect of a team's offense.

The challenge is how do you take away Gurley while simultaneously taking away the play action game? Because whatever you do to stop one leaves you more vunerable to the other.

What the Cowboys defensively do very well is get great pressure with their front without having to blitz. They can collapse the pocket up the middle like no ones business. The rush of the edge from Gregory and Lawerence is incredibly quick which will have Goff having to make very quick decisions. Because the cowboys linebackers are so fast and very good in coverage that can read and react to the play incredibly fast. What makes this all go so well is the way our DB's are coached by Kris Richard. They are taught to be very physical and play man to man much of the game because of their speed and physical coverage ability. How do you think the Cowboys were able to stifle Drew Brees? They simply suffocated them and gave them very few options.

I have mad respect for Gurley, but running I don't think the Rams will make a living off the run in this game so they will have to hope he matches up well with our linebackers on dump offs and screens. Either way, you have a better head coach when it comes to game planning for sure, but I have never seen a team play as hard for a coach as I have the Cowboys when it comes to Garrett.

Ram65

Legend
Here's the thing when it comes to Goff in this game...CAN HE READ AND REACT PROPERLY TO THE BLITZ...and...is he willing to use his mobility???

This is a big deal because he's had problems in this area of his game. I wonder sometimes if McVay gives him the liberty to totally change plays!

IIRC Goff had high numbers against the blitz last year and early this year. Lately, I think it's the zone defenses that are giving him trouble. He looks hesitant to throw like routes are covered or he is not seeing openings. Recently he came off the field referring to the 'stupid or darn zone" or something to that effect.

I think he has 2 plays given by McVay. One is a pass and one is a run. I'm hoping McVay has designed some new quick hitting pass plays to counter the blitz and zone coverage. I think McVay will use some extra protection early on until the run game gets going.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2) As much as McVeigh gets credit for being a genius, by the end I thought his offense was very predictable. They run the same play action play over and over. Same jet sweep over and over (and they hand it on the sweep a lot). Same inside zone run. The whole thing is misdirection. Don't fall for the eye candy. Do not bite on play action cause this play action into a deep-in route is their best play.

To begin, the guy can't even spell McVay's name correctly. That already tanks his credibility. Next, it becomes clear reading this that this is a fan who doesn't know football well. There's a reason Dan Orlovsky, a former NFL QB, becomes giddy talking about this scheme. It's subtle but brilliant. He thinks that the scheme LOOKING predictable is a weakness. It's actually a strength. The scheme is designed to look predictable. It's designed to keep the defense guessing by never tipping presnap what play the Rams will run. It's designed to lull them into a false sense of security, get them reacting a certain way, and then use that against them. The scheme's brilliance is in its subtlety.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well damn...I went to a Seattle sports station, hoping to hear some whining about the loss, bu no. They brought some Philly homer in to talk Iggles and St Nick, and the kicker was “If the Eagles can somehow overcome the Saints and meet the Cowboys in the NFC Title game...” I can’t escape these bastids!

bluecoconuts

Legend
To begin, the guy can't even spell McVay's name correctly. That already tanks his credibility. Next, it becomes clear reading this that this is a fan who doesn't know football well. There's a reason Dan Orlovsky, a former NFL QB, becomes giddy talking about this scheme. It's subtle but brilliant. He thinks that the scheme LOOKING predictable is a weakness. It's actually a strength. The scheme is designed to look predictable. It's designed to keep the defense guessing by never tipping presnap what play the Rams will run. It's designed to lull them into a false sense of security, get them reacting a certain way, and then use that against them. The scheme's brilliance is in its subtlety.

I think it's funny because Dallas's defense is really bad when facing play action, it is by far their weakest part, and it also happens to be our biggest strength.

RamWoodie

Legend
IIRC Goff had high numbers against the blitz last year and early this year. Lately, I think it's the zone defenses that are giving him trouble. He looks hesitant to throw like routes are covered or he is not seeing openings. Recently he came off the field referring to the 'stupid or darn zone" or something to that effect.

I think he has 2 plays given by McVay. One is a pass and one is a run. I'm hoping McVay has designed some new quick hitting pass plays to counter the blitz and zone coverage. I think McVay will use some extra protection early on until the run game gets going.
I hear you. The sight adjust for WRs an TEs would be excellent along with some hot reads.

You have to know Dallas is going to deny the deep routes as best they can and group tackle trying for the TO. The Ram receivers MUST SECURE THE BALL after the catch!

As for Goff...I'm sure he's seen enough blitzes now to have a good idea...the question is will McVay get him on the move some as well as Goff using his mobility to escape.

Ram65

Legend
I hear you. The sight adjust for WRs an TEs would be excellent along with some hot reads.

You have to know Dallas is going to deny the deep routes as best they can and group tackle trying for the TO. The Ram receivers MUST SECURE THE BALL after the catch!

As for Goff...I'm sure he's seen enough blitzes now to have a good idea...the question is will McVay get him on the move some as well as Goff using his mobility to escape.

IIRC Goff was rolling out more the last couple of weeks. Although, they relied on the run game more. I think Goff will be more in sync this week taking the shorter throws. Look for more Higbee and Everett.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Quote from Tavon, found in a thread post by @Mojo Ram August 15, 2018:

"For one, my work ethic," he said. "My work ethic went out the window. I'm not saying I wasn't working hard, but it went out the window. I didn't work as hard as I used to do."

After hearing this, I only wish the worst for Tavon!

Lol, Tavon and his 8 catches? There's a reason he was traded. He better hope he's not cut from Cowboys. He played 7 games and started zero. There's a reason for that. Dallas probably wished they lost him instead of Hurns who only had 20 catches.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article224056785.html

Austin aims to ‘show out’ against former Rams teammates as sting from trade fades
BY STEFAN STEVENSON

Tavon%20return%20Jan%205.JPG

AP Photo/Roger Steinman

Tavon Austin has no hard feelings.

But, deep down, you know he wants to show the Los Angeles Rams why trading ‘Big Tay’ to the Dallas Cowboys last spring was a mistake.

Austin, who played his first five seasons for the Rams after being selected eighth overall in the 2013 draft, was traded to Dallas for a sixth-round pick in last year’s draft.

View: https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1081759703166705670?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1081759703166705670&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.star-telegram.com%2Fsports%2Fnfl%2Fdallas-cowboys%2Farticle224056785.html

Austin couldn’t help but feel disrespected by the trade after battling injuries in 2017 that had him playing at less than 100 percent for 16 games.

“It was a little tough for me just because it was the first time I went through it,” Austin said. “I’ve seen other people go through it but you never know until it’s you. When the trade happened, once again it’s back in His hands. I was hurt a little bit by it just because of my situation with me being hurt.”

Austin said he talked to Rams coach Sean McVay on the phone when the trade went down and there are no hard feelings.

“When I was there he was one of my closest dudes,” he said. “You’re always going to feel disrespected because you’re getting traded. If you get traded, evidently you’re not doing something right. Or you ain’t getting it done, or they don’t believe in you. One of those areas.”

It’s the cold, business side of the NFL, Austin said, and it took him a moment to get over it. A groin injury put a damper on Austin’s first season with the Cowboys but he returned after missing nine games for the regular-season finale and then showed off his big-play potential in the wild card win against the Seahawks.

After having an 80-yard touchdown on a punt return called back because of a holding call, Austin returned a punt 51 yards, his longest since he returned a punt 75 yards for a score in Sept. 2015. That was also against the Seahawks.

Getting the big return felt good, he said, especially having a touchdown erased.

“Oh, yeah, for sure, because we got the win,” he said. “I’m the flag man. That’s been happening to me since I’ve been in the league. At the end of the day, it felt good. To go out there and do that, to still let myself know, after battling through all my injuries the last two years. I showed myself, ‘You’re still Big Tay.’”

And while he’d love to show up big against his old teammates, Austin said he’s mostly concerned about just getting the win.

“Every game is emotional. There’s not really a difference between games,” he said. “It’s just the fact that I played over there for so long. You always want to show out. That’s the point. Point blank, period. You always want to do your thing. We’ll see when we get over there. Hopefully I do, but if I don’t, hopefully we just get the win. That’s all I’m really worrying about.”

View: https://twitter.com/TalkinCowboys/status/1082661113274068992

Didn’t he admit that once he became a pro that he didn’t work out as much as he did when he was in college and wasn’t as committed as he needed to be?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
What the Cowboys defensively do very well is get great pressure with their front without having to blitz. They can collapse the pocket up the middle like no ones business. The rush of the edge from Gregory and Lawerence is incredibly quick which will have Goff having to make very quick decisions. Because the cowboys linebackers are so fast and very good in coverage that can read and react to the play incredibly fast. What makes this all go so well is the way our DB's are coached by Kris Richard. They are taught to be very physical and play man to man much of the game because of their speed and physical coverage ability. How do you think the Cowboys were able to stifle Drew Brees? They simply suffocated them and gave them very few options.

I have mad respect for Gurley, but running I don't think the Rams will make a living off the run in this game so they will have to hope he matches up well with our linebackers on dump offs and screens. Either way, you have a better head coach when it comes to game planning for sure, but I have never seen a team play as hard for a coach as I have the Cowboys when it comes to Garrett.

First of all, thanks for having the guts to chime in with opposing fans on their forum. (y)

I would hope that Wade Phillips has been studying how the Colts pitched a shutout against the Cowboys offense in mid-December, not too long ago. It sure looks like Prescott got rattled by the pressure(Goff isn't the only NFL QB not at his best under pressure). Ezekiel Elliot was held to 87 yards rushing and the defense got zero sacks.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP_509tHyWg

And I'm pretty sure Sean McVay has been watching tape of how the Titans, with freaking Marcus Marriota(21-29 for 240 yds with 2 td's and 0 int's), managed to score 28 points in Dallas against that vaunted Cowboys defense.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz0hywFlNYM

I won't even get into how the Giants, with the fading Eli Manning and a crappy offensive line, scored 35 points against the Cowboys because I assume you were resting some of your starters.

The point is that you make it seem almost impossible for the Rams to score many points. It's like we're about to face the Bears 85 defense or something. Ezekiel Elliott will get over 100 yds but can you score td's in the red zone? Field goals won't cut it. My guess is that turnovers(like most NFL games) will decide the outcome of this game. Rams 31/Cowboys 24.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/08/dak-prescott-has-full-practice-despite-knee-injury/

Dak Prescott has full practice despite knee injury
Posted by Charean Williams on January 8, 2019

The Cowboys have 14 players on their injury report, including quarterback Dak Prescott.

The team listed Prescott with a knee injury, but he had a full practice.

Receiver Cole Beasley (ankle), receiver Noah Brown (illness), defensive tackle Maliek Collins(illness/ankle), defensive lineman David Irving(ankle) and tight end Blake Jarwin (ankle) did not practice.

Receiver Tavon Austin (groin), defensive end Tyrone Crawford (neck), right guard Zack Martin (knee), left tackle Tyron Smith (neck), left guard Xavier Su'a-Filo (ankle) and safety Darian Thompson (groin) were limited.

Su’a-Filo missed Saturday’s victory over the Seahawks, with rookie Connor Williams replacing him in the starting lineup.

Safety Jeff Heath (wrist) was a full participant.