Wentz to start game one

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
:LOL: You'd probably be doing yourself a big favor by avoiding this topic and moving on to something else. Just my 2 cents, but it's clearly a subject that's getting under your skin. And like I said before, Goff and Wentz are forever linked, so the comparisons are always going to be there, whether we like it or not. If I was you, I would just avoid it wherever I could.
Was just wondering if it was a premature pat on the back you were looking for.

And thanks for the advice. Ill definitely keep that in mind.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
:LOL: You'd probably be doing yourself a big favor by avoiding this topic and moving on to something else. Just my 2 cents, but it's clearly a subject that's getting under your skin. And like I said before, Goff and Wentz are forever linked, so the comparisons are always going to be there, whether we like it or not. If I was you, I would just avoid it wherever I could.
Well, Goff plays for us and Wentz doesn't. So anyone taking shots at our QB with I told you so's isn't getting under anyone's skin, they are just annoying

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, Goff plays for us and Wentz doesn't. So anyone taking shots at our QB with I told you so's isn't getting under anyone's skin, they are just annoying
25074673.jpg

KDS73

Rookie

If someone is "taking shots" at Goff, I'm sure the staff here will deal with it. But simply pointing out the positives of one qb doesn't necessarily mean they're trying to tear down the other.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If someone is "taking shots" at Goff, I'm sure the staff here will deal with it. But simply pointing out the positives of one qb doesn't necessarily mean they're trying to tear down the other.
Lol, says the chap who just said, "And like I said before, Goff and Wentz are forever linked, so the comparisons are always going to be there, whether we like it or not."
Tonight I'm a Keenum guy and when Goff get's to play, he'll be my QB. Unless Wentz gets traded to the Rams, I don't care what he does.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
IMO, Goff has a much larger learning curve to being a QB in the NFL than Wentz, and I think he has more upside compared to Wentz. In the end Goff will be the better of the two,

I think you summed it up best. The Rams had them graded similar but thought Goff had more long term potential, but may take longer given his college base of experience & that it did not translate to the pro game. They had a serviceable alternative if he needed to sit for a while.

Dan Poplawski

Rookie
Name
Dan Poplawski
I am still glad we picked Goff but I will say Wentz's performance yesterday was impressive... sort of. Let's not forget it was Cleveland and second, the Browns had virtually no tape to study Wentz pregame.
I wish more than anything that Goff could have progressed enough to start tonight, I respect Fisher cause God knows, I have coached fewer Super Bowls than he has, and I think holding him out is best. The BIG mistake I think they are making is not suiting him up. It may inspire him to learn faster BUT IT COULD BREAK HIS SPIRIT.

KDS73

Rookie
I am still glad we picked Goff but I will say Wentz's performance yesterday was impressive... sort of. Let's not forget it was Cleveland and second, the Browns had virtually no tape to study Wentz pregame.
I wish more than anything that Goff could have progressed enough to start tonight, I respect Fisher cause God knows, I have coached fewer Super Bowls than he has, and I think holding him out is best. The BIG mistake I think they are making is not suiting him up. It may inspire him to learn faster BUT IT COULD BREAK HIS SPIRIT.

Looking back on it now, I'm not sure why Goff was considered to be the more "NFL ready" of the two. Especially since Wentz apparently played in a pro style offense. I guess it was due to the level of competition and playing time they both had in college.

TexasRam

Legend
Wentz was 5 for 15 on third down.

Very rookie like for a first start. Long way to go for him. And that was vs Cleveland.

But he was good in the redzone which showed his promise.

I would take it for a first start for Goff.

It's all about perspective with these rookie QB's.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looking back on it now, I'm not sure why Goff was considered to be the more "NFL ready" of the two. Especially since Wentz apparently played in a pro style offense. I guess it was due to the level of competition and playing time they both had in college.
Looking back on it now, I'm not sure why Goff was considered to be the more "Fragile" of the two. Especially considering Goff had never missed time to injury and Wentz had missed half a season. I guess it was due to the weight of the two players and nothing else.

NONE OF THIS SHIT HAS BEEN PROVEN. The talking heads said a bunch of shit leading up to the draft. Thats not necessarily anywhere near what the teams thought. The fact that you don't seem to understand there is a disconnect between the talking heads on ESPN and actual talent evaluators is mind-numbing.

Goff was never going to start game one under Fish...just wasn't gonna happen. THE EAGLES SAID ALL ALONG THAT CARSON WENTZ NEEDED A YEAR TO SIT. You know what changed? Teddy Bridgewater blew up his Knee and the vikings panicked and paid a kings ransom for Sam Bradford. I don't understand how you can honestly sit here with the mentality "but uh da espn tv machine done told me goff is more pro ready how come he aint startin" and not understand that its so much deeper than that. There are many many more factors that come to play in these decisions.

Guess what "Pro Ready" "Can make all the throws" "pocket awareness" are all keywords ESPN...repeats every single year with every single quarterback to sound fancy.

You want to sit here with the idea "but you told me goff was more pro ready and Carson is starting week one" and parade it around like a fucking badge of merit so be it. How about you root for your favorite team instead of harping on these minuscule details that don't mean a fucking thing. it comes off as you and many others are so desperate to be right you're putting it over your fandom.

Lets redo this conversation in a few years. ya know...when we can actually have meaningful evaluation

Memphis Ram

Legend
Fisher said Goff is in control of when he can wrest the job away from de facto starter Case Keenum, but that nothing is guaranteed or assured for the rookie right now.

"We'll start him when he's ready. That's what I've been saying, and that's what I told him and them [Goff's teammates]," Fisher told Shutdown Corner. "Is it the opener? That I don't know. We've got that option [with Keenum] and can easily go that route and be good with that. We're not locked in there."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...vbG8DYmYxBHBvcwM0BHZ0aWQDQjIyNDdfMQRzZWMDc3I-

If Goff were ready, he'd be starting. He's simply not ready. So he is not.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Especially since Wentz apparently played in a pro style offense

Not apparently, he actually did.

"In many ways, Bison football resembles the Power Coast approach of the Stanford Cardinal, combining a West Coast passing game with a heavy emphasis on power. The way North Dakota State runs God's play is as physical a variety as you will find in college football"

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...g-north-dakota-state-football-offense-defense

“The style of offense we play in — we’re a huddle, West Coast offense,” Klieman said. “We’re going to go under center, let the quarterback change protections, audible to run. . . . All those things are a little lost in college football because a lot of guys go no-huddle and look to the sideline to see what the coordinator’s going to run.”

Klieman said Wentz is no different than any other player drafted tonight, from any college. There’s always a learning curve in the NFL.

“It’s going to be a jump up for everybody,” he said.

"There are meetings throughout the day, but a good deal of the afternoon is spent in the classroom. Wentz came in ahead of many modern quarterbacks, the coaches said, because he played in a pro-style offense in college.

"You could get deeper into what you're doing in terms of the protection world," DeFilippo said. "He already understood the base rules about protections."

Daniel said he was impressed with how Wentz could identify certain blitz packages on film and know the proper way to reset the offensive line. But when the Buccaneers blitzed off the edge and Wentz had to throw "hot," he failed to communicate to his receiver pre-snap and ended up taking the hit that fractured his ribs.

"Everybody can throw and everybody is talented enough physically, but can you separate yourself mentally?" Warner said. "No matter how well you are on a board, none of that can simulate what it's like on Sunday afternoon."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
What about those who thought we should've taken Wentz over Goff even before one game?
I'm one of those guys but you know what? I'm not going to spend my next 1,000 posts trying to beat that into the resident fanbase here.

Goff is the guy when he's ready. Wentz is the guy and he is apparently ready.
It's early. Like...REALLY early and if the Eagles go 2-14 with Wentz at QB no one will care.
If the Rams go 2-14 with Goff he's a bust.

Perspective.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Wentz stared down his receivers a lot, I think he only went with his first read, didn't look like he was going through progressions. His throws were great, but it's hard to say how well he'll do going forward, and how much of his success yesterday was benefiting from playing the Browns.

KDS73

Rookie
Eagles fans have a "Ongoing Carson Wentz vs Jared Goff Thread" going on their main forum. :LOL:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Does it really matter other than saying " I Told You So," and only after one game? They took Goff because they thought he had more to offer. What we think is moot. If you want to say Wentz is going to be a great QB after one game, that is your opinion. IMO, Goff has a much larger learning curve to being a QB in the NFL than Wentz, and I think he has more upside compared to Wentz. In the end Goff will be the better of the two, IMO. But, if you want to crown Wentz as the next great QB and Goff a bust, I would suggest waiting for a few more games, etc. Funny how we live in a world of "instant gratification" and patience is no longer accepted. SMH

But that was never the issue. And if we just looked at what was, all of this was clear (as are other things, but that's more "debbie downer stuff" and "pattern stuff" that folks don't seem to like)

1) Stan Kroenke doesn't fire his senior coaches even if they aren't winning. (It appears Josh, his son does, even if they are...)
2) Fisher isn't going to change. He hasn't in his 20+ years of coaching, so to expect any change now is only going to end in disappointment.
3) Fisher never has developed a pure passer. Never.
4) Goff needed plenty of development. Thinking otherwise was pure fandom. We saw that.
5) Went's experience in the O at NDSU did, in fact, prepare him for the Pro Game and his Football IQ was as advertised.

Thus, the MORE IMPORTANT QUESTION shouldn't ever have been "who, in the abstract...theoretically...in an optimal scenario...will or could be the best QB?" That's nothing more than a topic for conversation.

The question should have been, "which QB, with Fisher who isn't going to change and has no history of developing QBs... can come into the Rams organization and both make an immediate impact AND be as close to if not be a franchise QB?"

The answer to that wasn't close, imho.

Now... we are left with hoping that a HC who's never developed a QB will do it now.

Can it happen? I SURE AS HELL HOPE SO!!!

I just can't ignore the facts and pretend that Fisher is someone he isn't or that the situation is something it isn't. The game is played in reality, not how we as fans wished it would be.

Now, if Fisher does get fired and we hire someone like Jim Bob Cooter or an offensive minded HC like that... then it's a totally different ballgame, literally and figuratively...

As for the "being right", I'm just done addressing that. I want the Rams to win, bottom line. And I like talking football. I'm not afraid to have a different opinion than others as long as in disagreeing I'm not being disagreeable.

I mean, Goff's a Ram. So I HOPE he becomes an All World QB! Hope... From a reality standpoint, the chances of that happening with Fisher as his HC? Well, you get the point... but hope springs eternal!

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But that was never the issue. And if we just looked at what was, all of this was clear (as are other things, but that's more "debbie downer stuff" and "pattern stuff" that folks don't seem to like)

1) Stan Kroenke doesn't fire his senior coaches even if they aren't winning. (It appears Josh, his son does, even if they are...)
2) Fisher isn't going to change. He hasn't in his 20+ years of coaching, so to expect any change now is only going to end in disappointment.
3) Fisher never has developed a pure passer. Never.
4) Goff needed plenty of development. Thinking otherwise was pure fandom. We saw that.
5) Went's experience in the O at NDSU did, in fact, prepare him for the Pro Game and his Football IQ was as advertised.

Thus, the MORE IMPORTANT QUESTION shouldn't ever have been "who, in the abstract...theoretically...in an optimal scenario...will or could be the best QB?" That's nothing more than a topic for conversation.

The question should have been, "which QB, with Fisher who isn't going to change and has no history of developing QBs... can come into the Rams organization and both make an immediate impact AND be as close to if not be a franchise QB?"

The answer to that wasn't close, imho.

Now... we are left with hoping that a HC who's never developed a QB will do it now.

Can it happen? I SURE AS HELL HOPE SO!!!

I just can't ignore the facts and pretend that Fisher is someone he isn't or that the situation is something it isn't. The game is played in reality, not how we as fans wished it would be.

Now, if Fisher does get fired and we hire someone like Jim Bob Cooter or an offensive minded HC like that... then it's a totally different ballgame, literally and figuratively...

As for the "being right", I'm just done addressing that. I want the Rams to win, bottom line. And I like talking football. I'm not afraid to have a different opinion than others as long as in disagreeing I'm not being disagreeable.

I mean, Goff's a Ram. So I HOPE he becomes an All World QB! Hope... From a reality standpoint, the chances of that happening with Fisher as his HC? Well, you get the point... but hope springs eternal!
You're missing the point mack....you and many others have made all of these points countless times...it's nothing new. I know I'm far from the only one tired of hearing it.

It's almost like "hey remember when I said such and such about wentz?" "Sure looks like I was right after pre season" "hey look wentz Is starter remember what I said" "wentz had a decent week boy am I smart"

It's getting old quick. We don't need to be reminded where any of you stand. As you've said you are entitled to have any opinions you want different or the same as others but...you've addressed them numerous times and continuously repeating the same notions every chance you feel like your point is being proven (regardless of how small a sample size) is coming off as you are dying to be right. And playing I told ya so with our future franchise qb. A lot of us (I'm sure you included) get very emotional over the rams and are just tired of it.

Like I said I'm FAR from the only one who feels this way.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
You're missing the point mack....you and many others have made all of these points countless times...it's nothing new. I know I'm far from the only one tired of hearing it.

It's almost like "hey remember when I said such and such about wentz?" "Sure looks like I was right after pre season" "hey look wentz Is starter remember what I said" "wentz had a decent week boy am I smart"

It's getting old quick. We don't need to be reminded where any of you stand. As you've said you are entitled to have any opinions you want different or the same as others but...you've addressed them numerous times and continuously repeating the same notions every chance you feel like your point is being proven (regardless of how small a sample size) is coming off as you are dying to be right.

Like I said I'm FAR from the only one who feels this way.

Again with this? This is your way of stifling conversation.

I'll be PERFECTLY clear. I don't care if Goff NEVER, EVER, EVER takes a snap for the Rams if the Rams win a Super Bowl with Keenum or Mannion or...Hekker at QB. I care about the TEAM. I care about WINNING. If it's with Goff, great! If it's not with Goff? /shrug. It's not remotely about Goff for me. It's about WINNING.

So all of this Goff adoration is beyond me. I just don't care for it. At all.

The difference is that you are expecting Fisher to be someone he's not and thus for Goff to progress in a fashion that's just not going to happen.

It's not about me being right. I have no control over the situation, so what I say has no impact. I'm just "reporting what I see", if you will. It's pretty obvious if you know what to look for.

However, if you want to continue to think Fisher will do and be different... be my guest. I took a hiatus because no one wanted to hear that Goff wouldn't get any development before. Now here we are...

Can we have a conversation about what I see going forward (I didn't think knowing things was a BAD thing) or do you want it all to be a crummy surprise??? Cuz... I DID see some things... from the Hard Knocks and games.

Or, you all who can't stand these posts can have me NOT post other than GDT posts and then be badly disappointed because Goff didn't become what he should have...

WoW: Legion is out, so between that and family time, I'm good if we can't talk football. Honestly, I'd just rather be friends and if we disagree on this topic, just disagree and leave it at that.