Wentz headed to Sr. bowl

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stel

Starter
Okay...so found a passing chart on twitter for Cook. I'm not sure if it's accurate but it's the best I have so I'm going to roll with it. Here are his percentage of attempts in each range:
Behind LOS - 7.5%
0 to 10 yards - 43.3%
11 to 20 yards - 35.7%
20+ yards - 13.5%

Any idea what Cook's completion percentage is for each of those ranges? The assumption seems to be that he gets less accurate with distance but that isn't always the case with QBs.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Any idea what Cook's completion percentage is for each of those ranges? The assumption seems to be that he gets less accurate with distance but that isn't always the case with QBs.

Nope. Can't find a chart that has completion percentage. The one I found was using accuracy percentage so the numbers would be quite a bit higher. And there aren't distance splits for college players like there are for the NFL.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
see below\/

Exactly....inaccuracy is a big thing...But every nugget of his game needs to be considered....I try not to drag every skillset these guys display (or don't) through the mud. Key for me, will he work to correct his flaws...

For Elms & dieter's viewing entertainment:
Pretty sure I posted this in here, somewhere.....but just in case....

Pretty long, so if you've got some time....check out some small skills this kid possesses....

ok so I was staunchly against drafting Cook but after watching this Im more open to it. I can see why his completion percentage is lower, he has a more vertical offense and he is a gun slinger. The Eli, Cutler, Stafford comparisons are pretty good I think. He has some wtf throws that will need to be fixed but he has a lot of good qualities too. Id still wince if they draft him at 17 but I wouldn't throw things. Its going to be down to either Cook or Wentz where the Rams draft. I will definitely take a closer look when each play their next games.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Completion percentage is not an important stat.
First, awesome stuff...Pleasure to read your thoughts on young QB's on a daily basis....
Second, it's not the end all, be all stat (completion %%%), but you must admit it does have its place in any evaluation of a QB....But the circumstances like players(talent) thrown to, competition, the elements, and many other factors (like health) can really skew these numbers.
Again, thanks for all the work. Peshak's chart and your insight was great work. Tip my hat.(y):football:

To any who doubt this guys game, please check out the Bama vs Mich. St. game on New Years...It should be an excellent measure of what this guy can do when facing NFL-type talent.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
First, awesome stuff...Pleasure to read your thoughts on young QB's on a daily basis....
Second, it's not the end all, be all stat (completion %%%), but you must admit it does have its place in any evaluation of a QB....But the circumstances like players(talent) thrown to, competition, the elements, and many other factors (like health) can really skew these numbers.
Again, thanks for all the work. Peshak's chart and your insight was great work. Tip my hat.(y):football:

To any who doubt this guys game, please check out the Bama vs Mich. St. game on New Years...It should be an excellent measure of what this guy can do when facing NFL-type talent.

Nope. I don't agree. I base my evaluations on what I see on the field. If I see him making accurate throws and good reads, I don't care what his completion percentage was.

For example, I think his completion percentage against Michigan was around 46%. If you watch that game, he would have completed probably 65% of his passes if he weren't playing one of the best defenses in CFB. He made some outstanding throws in that game that Michigan DBs, especially Jourdan Lewis, were able to defend. Lewis knocked away some throws that very few DBs in CFB could defend. Here are a couple throws that went down as incompletions:

View: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:13911151

View: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:13910810

And those aren't even the throws that Lewis was managing to break-up. Cook was outstanding in that game. He wasn't perfect but he was outstanding. Michigan had tight coverage most of the game and Cook was still completing throws into extremely tight windows...as well as having passes knocked away that were near perfect throws. Found a few examples of passes that Lewis defended:
http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=258731&gif=DependablePleasedKawala
http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=258731&gif=PotableSociableBrahmancow
http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=258731&gif=SolidWeepyCardinal

And those are just a few drops/incompletions. If I posted some of the throws he made in that game, people's jaws would drop.(and I certainly can post some of the throws if y'all want) You have to watch the game to understand how good he was. And yet, his completion percentage says 46%.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I base my evaluations on what I see on the field. If I see him making accurate throws and good reads, I don't care what his completion percentage was.

For example, I think his completion percentage against Michigan was around 46%. If you watch that game, he would have completed probably 65% of his passes if he weren't playing one of the best defenses in CFB.
Oh, I do watch them...and I saw that game....hence my little disclaimer about talent (those top two vids were straight DROPS) and competition....He makes some excellent throws that are dropped in many of his contests....And I believe it's because he's not blessed with wr's like a few other schools....
Again...I like the guy, and I usually like a guy to have a high completion %...But I'll understand if it's lower, under certain circumstances. Just like, if a guy is completing 75% of his passes, but he runs one of those crazy offenses where everyone is wide open, I don't think he's the next Peyton, Marino, Brees, Rodgers because of his % of completed passes....

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh, I do watch them...and I saw that game....hence my little disclaimer about talent (those top two vids were straight DROPS) and competition....He makes some excellent throws that are dropped in many of his contests....And I believe it's because he's not blessed with wr's like a few other schools....
Again...I like the guy, and I usually like a guy to have a high completion %...But I'll understand if it's lower, under certain circumstances. Just like, if a guy is completing 75% of his passes, but he runs one of those crazy offenses where everyone is wide open, I don't think he's the next Peyton, Marino, Brees, Rodgers because of his % of completed passes....

Oh, I know you do, Champ. Wasn't trying to imply that you don't. I was speaking only about myself. It's why I don't put stock in the college stats for QBs I've evaluated. I saw what happened on the field. The stats don't offer me any perspective that I didn't receive from watching the games.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Does Cook throw the ball away at all? That's one of those things that is very underrated during a game. Better than tossing out gifts like Foles. Also hurts his completion % when looking at the stat sheet. Just an honest question, I've seen very little of him. Looking forward to the Playoffs to watch him against quality competition.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Does Cook throw the ball away at all? That's one of those things that is very underrated during a game. Better than tossing out gifts like Foles. Also hurts his completion % when looking at the stat sheet. Just an honest question, I've seen very little of him. Looking forward to the Playoffs to watch him against quality competition.

He does.

Athos

Legend
Having a QB that knows when to give up on a play by throwing it away is very important.

We've been fucked many a time before our QBs don't wanna live to fight another day.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This might finally be a draft where the Rams needs at QB align nicely with available talent. Right now I think it's pretty clear Goff and Lynch are gonna be first round picks, probably top 5 if not 1 and 2. But if Wentz and Cook show well and then have good workouts leading up to the draft we could be looking at 4 legitimate first round QB talents. If that happens, then I do think the Rams will find a way to move up and get one, which is likely since they cannot afford to not come out of the first round without one of them.

So IMO the lead-up to this draft is going to be very enjoyable for us, or so I hope.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This might finally be a draft where the Rams needs at QB align nicely with available talent. Right now I think it's pretty clear Goff and Lynch are gonna be first round picks, probably top 5 if not 1 and 2. But if Wentz and Cook show well and then have good workouts leading up to the draft we could be looking at 4 legitimate first round QB talents. If that happens, then I do think the Rams will find a way to move up and get one, which is likely since they cannot afford to not come out of the first round without one of them.

So IMO the lead-up to this draft is going to be very enjoyable for us, or so I hope.

Yup. I'm rooting for Wentz to be amazing at the Senior Bowl and for Cook to tear up the College Football Playoffs. The more top QB prospects, the better.