Well boys... (OC news)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
This has Fisher written all over it. Dude just doesn't care about a great offense. Would anyone be surprised if we went into the season opener with the same QBs? Not me.

It's certainly following a familiar pattern. o_O

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
First, non-introduction post, huzzah.

I've got mixed feelings about this. I want DeFilippo, despite how annoying it is to type his name (a ploy of his, I'm sure, to make it more difficult for keyboard-warriors to criticize him), and would still be happy if we pull him in. But there's a lot that's not being said here. Does John want to stake his tentatively positive momentum on a team with no QB and a recent history of terrible passing attacks? Is he waiting on other offers? A lot of new coaching staffs getting resolved right now, and relationships with the players in Cleveland that might inspire a charismatic Hue Jackson to try and twist him into running Hue's offense. He's been connected with Chip Kelly as well. All that being said, it's possible he's interested, and is simply holding out to see if anything more attractive comes his way.

Another point is this: where do coordinators come from? Yes, a fair amount have a history of coordinating, and get shunted around the league, or follow their circle of coaching buddies. But in a lot of cases, it's positional coaches getting the opportunity, and either succeeding or failing. The Bengals just promoted their QB coach to the position. I'm not schooled on who he is, and what his experience calling plays entails, but successful teams and unsuccessful teams alike have multiple avenues for finding a coordinator, including promoting from within, and a lot of factors go into that which are obscured from our view.

Boras didn't set the world on fire. But he did have success in a limited capacity, without the time to install his own concepts and philosophy (we hope those weren't his concepts and philosophy all season long). At the least, he seemed a competent play-caller. As the staff beneath him takes shape, it could be that the playbook receives augments from that staff, or from other influences. We always want an upgrade, but there are no sure things in the NFL, in terms of what an upgrade looks like. A lot of us were excited to see Schotty gone, but I personally think we would have had a better shot at the playoffs if we'd kept him around. Hindsight is 20/20.

In any case, until Fisher goes, I don't think it's fair or helpful to pin our hopes on an OC flipping the scheme on its head. We'll get disappointed, and irrationally upset if we have those expectations. Look at our personnel. Which of our tight-ends is going to make Barnidge-type grabs? I think that's maybe the thing holding us back the most in the punting game. I mean passing. (FF-lurker creepy-wink). What we can be is ball-dominant, smart about managing downs and field-position, and aggressive about acquiring personnel who can bring balance and threat to the offense.

I want DeFilippo. But there's also the risk he falls on his face (our players seem to have a collective trait of being slow learners). If we roll with Boras, we have perhaps a just as good (if not greater) chance at success. What will really frustrate me is if we go into the 2016 regular season with Keenum or Foles the presumed starter (with the caveat that they don't show [for Foles monumental] improvement).

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
First, non-introduction post, huzzah.

I've got mixed feelings about this. I want DeFilippo, despite how annoying it is to type his name (a ploy of his, I'm sure, to make it more difficult for keyboard-warriors to criticize him), and would still be happy if we pull him in. But there's a lot that's not being said here. Does John want to stake his tentatively positive momentum on a team with no QB and a recent history of terrible passing attacks? Is he waiting on other offers? A lot of new coaching staffs getting resolved right now, and relationships with the players in Cleveland that might inspire a charismatic Hue Jackson to try and twist him into running Hue's offense. He's been connected with Chip Kelly as well. All that being said, it's possible he's interested, and is simply holding out to see if anything more attractive comes his way.

Another point is this: where do coordinators come from? Yes, a fair amount have a history of coordinating, and get shunted around the league, or follow their circle of coaching buddies. But in a lot of cases, it's positional coaches getting the opportunity, and either succeeding or failing. The Bengals just promoted their QB coach to the position. I'm not schooled on who he is, and what his experience calling plays entails, but successful teams and unsuccessful teams alike have multiple avenues for finding a coordinator, including promoting from within, and a lot of factors go into that which are obscured from our view.

Boras didn't set the world on fire. But he did have success in a limited capacity, without the time to install his own concepts and philosophy (we hope those weren't his concepts and philosophy all season long). At the least, he seemed a competent play-caller. As the staff beneath him takes shape, it could be that the playbook receives augments from that staff, or from other influences. We always want an upgrade, but there are no sure things in the NFL, in terms of what an upgrade looks like. A lot of us were excited to see Schotty gone, but I personally think we would have had a better shot at the playoffs if we'd kept him around. Hindsight is 20/20.

In any case, until Fisher goes, I don't think it's fair or helpful to pin our hopes on an OC flipping the scheme on its head. We'll get disappointed, and irrationally upset if we have those expectations. Look at our personnel. Which of our tight-ends is going to make Barnidge-type grabs? I think that's maybe the thing holding us back the most in the punting game. I mean passing. (FF-lurker creepy-wink). What we can be is ball-dominant, smart about managing downs and field-position, and aggressive about acquiring personnel who can bring balance and threat to the offense.

I want DeFilippo. But there's also the risk he falls on his face (our players seem to have a collective trait of being slow learners). If we roll with Boras, we have perhaps a just as good (if not greater) chance at success. What will really frustrate me is if we go into the 2016 regular season with Keenum or Foles the presumed starter (with the caveat that they don't show [for Foles monumental] improvement).
Welcome to the board and great first non introduction post!

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
I'm happy the Rams are back in Los Angeles, as I think it will help the on field product immensely.
But man!!! I still feel the same as I have for the last 2 years, that Fisher is not the answer.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm happy the Rams are back in Los Angeles, as I think it will help the on field product immensely.
But man!!! I still feel the same as I have for the last 2 years, that Fisher is not the answer.

I'm only curious but what do you think being in LA will do to improve the play on the field?

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I honestly don't see any major changes till the new stadium is built. And that sucks.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This has Fisher written all over it. Dude just doesn't care about a great offense. Would anyone be surprised if we went into the season opener with the same QBs? Not me.
same WR's too. and maybe brandon gibson if he can get his hands on him.

Ladoc

UDFA
Name
Garth
Honestly if coaching is like any other business, then people talk. I'm sure coordinators know that fisher likes the offense run his way and under his control. I'd pass if I were them.
I don't believe SK is going to give fisher an extension this year with his record. He also isn't going to burn 7 mil $ letting him go. No OC is gonna come uproot and move without security or stability which is not going to happen with Fishers position right now. SK is going to expect Fisher to hold the fabric of the team together during this move as he has got experience in doing so and has 1 year left. Boras is the right call for the year. A new guy won't come. If fisher / boras fails, then entire new coaches change 2017. (Carroll Etc) if they somehow succeed, SK can renew fisher /staff or have even more choices of coaching staff that would love to move to LA and be under the Hollywood glow.IMO

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Different people running the show and not cheating the salary cap.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Now that they are back in L.A I am going to try and get a job as ball boy, it's only 3 steps from the O.C position.
All my ROD friends can have a live play call poll as the game goes on.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler

It's funny, if I save an image in one location on my computer then I get the error message, if I save it in another location then it can be larger than the 50kb limit and I don't have any problems. For example my current avatar size is 97kb :confused:.

Edit: Highest it will allow is 658kb

Last edited:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I don't think the sky is falling here. I actually think Boras is serviceable. I'm not sure how anybody could think changing the system would be a good thing with our current personnel. Let's just hope they draft a QB, WR, and TE high and they hit on something. Otherwise, you are looking at a new coaching staff anyways.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
I don't think keeping Boras is the worst thing in the world right now--but I do wonder if the Rams have little choice. They had trouble last time hiring someone from outside the coaching staff, or at the very least they weren't interested in that. And it's the same now. I just think--and can't prove it at all--that some of these guys want CONTROL of the offense. If they're going to sink or swim they want it to be with THEIR philosophy and play calls--not someone else. They don't want to be just a name or face. And frankly--the assistant coaches here can have a bit of a hot seat if things aren't going well. Many may fear it's really Fisher's show and they just push the buttons he gives them. For an up and coming OC that isn't a good deal.

They will continue to play Fisherball one way or the other--whoever the OC is.

Ramatik

Starter
I don't believe SK is going to give fisher an extension this year with his record. He also isn't going to burn 7 mil $ letting him go. No OC is gonna come uproot and move without security or stability which is not going to happen with Fishers position right now. SK is going to expect Fisher to hold the fabric of the team together during this move as he has got experience in doing so and has 1 year left. Boras is the right call for the year. A new guy won't come. If fisher / boras fails, then entire new coaches change 2017. (Carroll Etc) if they somehow succeed, SK can renew fisher /staff or have even more choices of coaching staff that would love to move to LA and be under the Hollywood glow.IMO

I think that's a pretty solid take. Except for the part about a new guy won't come.

Dude... people will still coach the Raiders.

There's just not that many O.C. jobs out there. People will come no matter what.

Now, we could say that Fisher is more comfortable with Boras. This does scare me a bit.

I still like Fisher. Originally, I was not in favor of the hire. But I believe in consistency and this team is light years better than it was 4 years ago. A quarterback that can hit the broadside of a barn and just a little bit of effin' luck... I think we might have something here.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
I'm only curious but what do you think being in LA will do to improve the play on the field?

Hi badnews. Well I think it will draw more and better Free Agents. I think that simply the change of scenery, the "hype" of southern california sunshine and population, etc ... that there will be more of a feeling for the Rams of "It's our time now. Let's go get this playoff run."
As some have stated, I also agree that Jeff Fisher will be instantly under fire to not do things ONLY his way, with a fear of being fired. That alone makes me think he'll work much harder to get a better QB and and offense that can score at least mid level nfl points.
It's hard to explain really. I just have an overwhelming feeling that the culture of losing will change, almost immediately!

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
I wonder how attractive the OC position is with the Rams.

We have Gurley - but it's not like we have the most important position settled - Fisher has got to be in a make or break year - young O Line, not much to get excited about at WR. It's not the Cadillac of OC jobs at this point in time.

This. What decent OC in their right mind wants to work for Fisher when he's on the hot seat to lose his job next year? A HC that has a history of not being able to draft WR's or QB's. A HC who's gone through 3 OC's already in his tenure with the Rams. A HC who's never seen a mediocre archaic plodding offense he didn't love. Oh well.....Maybe when LA fans refuse to buy tickets to see a team go somewhere between 5-11 to 8-8 year after year after year Kroenke will finally get a clue.