PREGAME Week 3 - Rams at Cardinals - Pregame Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Psycho_X

Legend
Here's a good twitter thread by Jordan to track everything that's happened this week.

View: https://twitter.com/JourdanRodrigue/status/1573011237889142784?s=20&t=gGhx6ldeLiTpTfBivN_T-Q

1663877761936.png

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Didn’t the Cardinals defense get worse this past off-season? I don’t recall them signing anyone or drafting any rookie studs. They lost Chandler Jones.

They really needed a pass rusher and a good corner and got neither.
Their defense was THE most concerning thing about them coming in to the year. So much so that local media has been all over them about how much in cap space they've got w/out bringing anyone of note in to the building on that side of the ball.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Didn’t the Cardinals defense get worse this past off-season? I don’t recall them signing anyone or drafting any rookie studs. They lost Chandler Jones.

They really needed a pass rusher and a good corner and got neither.
Yeah they took a step back. Essentially they’ve put all their stock into ILB and Safety so their front four, pass rush and corners are JAG’s.

Keim time.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
Rams are short on defensive corners, the D-line is going to have to put it in overdrive.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm guessing that Floyd's playing through pain again. This season is already irritating as shit and we're only two weeks in sigh.

Looking at Jourdan's notes the best option for the slot will be Kendrick. Rochell CB2. They did put Kendrick outside the hash a good amount in preseason though so if they like him there then it's who plays the slot and I don't think it will be Rochell so maybe we see the new kid. They can simplify things for him.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Remember how gloomy NOVEMBER was last year?

It is September.

The season is a journey.

We are 1-1. Not bad.

I’d rather peak late.

It feels SO GOOD going into each week with a McVay lead team. We are in our sweet spot. Look around. Soak it up.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

6 stats and facts to know for Rams vs. Cardinals in Week 3​

The Los Angeles Rams and Arizona Cardinals will kick off their NFC West slate on Sunday when they square off in the desert at State Farm Stadium. Both 1-1, this is a key game as they each look to push above .500 for the first time this season.

In the last five years, this has been a one-sided rivalry. The Rams own the Cardinals and haven’t had to stress much in their 11 meetings since 2017.

Here are six stats and facts to know about this NFC West tilt in Week 3.

Rams have outscored Cardinals 335-162 under Sean McVay

It hasn’t been much of a contest when the Rams and Cardinals square off. Since 2017, the Rams are a near-perfect 10-1 against Arizona, with their only loss coming in the first meeting last season.

The Rams’ wins have all been by pretty wide margins. Their narrowest victory against Arizona was seven points in 2019 and in Week 14 of last season. Otherwise, the Rams’ eight other wins have all been by at least 10 points, including five by at least 20 points.

In total, the Rams have outscored the Cardinals 335-162 in 11 meetings, an average margin of 15.7 points per game.

Cardinals are 1 of 2 teams with no FG attempts this season

We’re only two weeks into the season but the Cardinals still have not attempted a single field goal. They’re one of just two teams that has not kicked a field goal yet, along with the Commodes.

The Cardinals have only attempted two extra points, as well. They’re the only team in the NFL with fewer than four total attempted kicks. Matt Prater has been pretty bored through two weeks as a result.

Cardinals rank last in 3rd-down offense, Rams are 5th

The Cardinals have faced a third down 25 times, which is around the middle of the pack compared to other teams. They’ve only converted six of those third-down tries, though, which is tied for the worst rate in the NFL with the Cowboys.

The Rams are on the opposite end, converting at a 52.2% clip. That’s good for fifth in the NFL, helping to keep the offense on the field and sustain drives.

Rams and Cardinals are NFL’s worst 3rd-down defenses

Defensively, the Rams and Cardinals are the two worst teams on third down. The Rams are allowing opponents to convert a league-high 60% of the time on third down, with the Bills going 9-for-10 in Week 1 alone. The Cardinals’ third-down defense allows conversions 57.9% of the time, second-worst in the NFL.

So even with Arizona’s third-down offense struggling, the Rams’ defense could struggle to get Kyler Murray and the Cardinals off the field.

Cardinals are only team to hold Cooper Kupp under 92 yards since 2021

Kupp has played 23 games since the start of the 2021 season. In 21 of those games, he caught at least six passes for 92 yards. The only two games he was held under six catches and 92 yards? Against the Cardinals in Week 4 and against the Cardinals in the wild-card round.

They’re the only team that has kept Kupp in check, and they’ll try to do so again on Sunday with Byron Murphy, Budda Baker and the rest of the secondary.

Cardinals have allowed the most points in the NFL

No team has given up more points in two weeks than the Cardinals. Granted, they had to face the Chiefs and Raiders, who explosive offenses, but Arizona’s defense has not looked very good through two weeks.

They’ve allowed a total of 67 points so far: 44 to the Chiefs and 23 to the Raiders. They’re coming in with some momentum after shutting out the Raiders in the fourth quarter and overtime, and only allowing three points in the second half, but this is a defense the Rams can take advantage of.

dang

Legend
So it’s only game 3 and it ain’t easy to stand out in the NFL with all the talent and new blood coming in hungry every year. With that said.:
Jefferson needs to contribute significantly when he returns. I’m not saying rush him back but he needs to be fast and furious fighting for balls when he returns. No 50% stuff.
Akers needs to get his confidence back. He seems very hesitant and I haven’t seen that jump cut he had pre- injury.
Higbee did better in week 2 but he should be a leader on this team and I’d like to see some fire under his butt.
Finally, is Floyd hurt because if he ain’t hes doing very little to impress. He needs to try something other than speed rush where he gets easily pushed wide and becomes non factor. The lack of any edge rush is the Achilles heal for the Rams.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Opposing View: Cardinals head coach Kliff Kingsbury still views Rams as standard of NFC​

Asked during his press conference Wednesday if the Rams are still the "gold standard of the NFC," if other teams have caught up to them, or if the conference is in a holding pattern right now, Cardinals head coach Kliff Kingsbury said the Rams remain the team to beat.

"Until somebody knocks them off, they're still the champs," Kingsbury said of the 1-1 Rams. "It's a marathon, not a sprint. We saw that – they did a great job building last year, in the playoffs playing their best football at the end. I'm sure they'll do the same thing. So we're all trying to figure out who we are as teams right now, but they're as good as anybody out there."

Sunday's game at State Farm Stadium in Glendale, Ariz. marks the fourth time in the last calendar year that the Rams will take on the Cardinals. The two teams last met in the Wild Card round of last year's playoffs, a 34-11 Rams victory at SoFi Stadium,

The last regular season meeting, however, much was much closer: A 30-23 Rams win in a Monday Night Football thriller in Arizona that saw Rams defensive lineman Aaron Donald record three sacks, including on the first and last plays of the game.

"They've obviously had our number here for a long time," Kingsbury said, alluding to Los Angeles' 6-1 record against Arizona across the regular season and playoffs since 2019. "That's not lost upon us, but we're just trying to improve."

Kingsbury's answer came in response to whether the Wild Card result gave the Cardinals a chip on their shoulder heading into Sunday's contest, but as the latter part of it indicated, there's already plenty of internal motivation to play better. Kingsbury pointed to the slow starts Arizona has had over the last two weeks as well as committing 12 penalties in Week 2.

"I mean, there's a lot that we have to focus on us," Kingsbury said. "We know they're a talented team, defending champs, but it's really been about us improving this week."

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Kliff sounds like a smart man.

Too bad it doesn't show on the field.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Not much wrong with Allen other than he's an injury risk and been surrounded by suspect OG's up to now, we also have Shelton as 1'st reserve Center and he's fine. I'd very much like to increase Kolone's competition as C#3, although it should be enough for the Rams to look towards the middle/later rounds of the draft to improve our depth situation once again at the position. With Edwards, Evans, Aboushi & Brewer entering free agency and Kolone an ERFA next year, the Rams will need to improve on depth, so I potentially see OG and OT being higher in the draft order than Center. jmo.

Unfortunately for Brian Allen, 300 lb Centers have been out of vogue for about 20 to 30 years.
Especially when they are paired up with guards that are also smallish in Edwards and Shelton.

The Bills first exposed and then hospitalized our interior offensive line which I think is about 40 to 60 lbs. under sized minimum.

Even teams that play a majority of Zone blocking schemes have guys that are at least 315/320.
I'm not saying cut Shelton or Allen, because they can always be used to fill in for a few plays or a few games but we are low on the beef inside.

Not to sound like a broken record but I've always felt that concentrating on the speed backs like Henderson and Akers that need big holes to run through or get tripped up too easy is a problem.
Bringing back Malcolm Brown and signing Aboushi is a band-aid that might help, but, (as I keep saying over and over, hoping McVay will hear me) every offense needs a snot knocking full back that lives to hit a linebacker at the second level at some point in a game.
And the funny thing is you can get the best Full Back available in the 5th or 6th round of a draft.
I was also very disappointed when they let our best physical backs go in the last 2 years in Brown and Sony Michel.
These hybrid tight end semi blocking pass-catching guys can only get you so far in the passing game.
Maybe I'm old school, (not the poster on here) but I think your passing game is a lot better when you have a threat of a running game.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Unfortunately for Brian Allen, 300 lb Centers have been out of vogue for about 20 to 30 years.
Especially when they are paired up with guards that are also smallish in Edwards and Shelton.

The Bills first exposed and then hospitalized our interior offensive line which I think is about 40 to 60 lbs. under sized minimum.

Even teams that play a majority of Zone blocking schemes have guys that are at least 315/320.
I'm not saying cut Shelton or Allen, because they can always be used to fill in for a few plays or a few games but we are low on the beef inside.

Not to sound like a broken record but I've always felt that concentrating on the speed backs like Henderson and Akers that need big holes to run through or get tripped up too easy is a problem.
Bringing back Malcolm Brown and signing Aboushi is a band-aid that might help, but, (as I keep saying over and over, hoping McVay will hear me) every offense needs a snot knocking full back that lives to hit a linebacker at the second level at some point in a game.
And the funny thing is you can get the best Full Back available in the 5th or 6th round of a draft.
I was also very disappointed when they let our best physical backs go in the last 2 years in Brown and Sony Michel.
These hybrid tight end semi blocking pass-catching guys can only get you so far in the passing game.
Maybe I'm old school, (not the poster on here) but I think your passing game is a lot better when you have a threat of a running game.

I agree with most of what you have posted here, although for the time being Allen & Shelton are our Centers #1 and #2, and I don't expect that to change any time soon. Kolone has good size, but his ability & strength lacks, and I suspect newly acquired Matt Skura will jump him on the depth chart by the time we return from our BYE week, after he has learned the calls. Prior to Skura I had been calling for the 49'er Practice Squad Center to be acquired, but if Skura works out there is likely no need to draft another Center next year unless we are concerned about losing Shelton in 2024 to free agency.
I had also thought that Shelton was being groomed to replace soon to be free agent Dave Edwards at LG, but all our injuries have had the effect of revamping our interior OL depth. Alaric Jackson was dominant against Atlanta at RG, although 1 game doesn't tell the whole story, and he's likely to remain our #1 back-up behind Noteboom. Oday Aboushi will become a free agent following this season, but he should be relatively inexpensive to retain if the Rams choose to keep him, and he should compete well at both OG positions. Bruss is likely to get his starting RG job back, and Anchrum will return next year with an opportunity to compete for the starting LG role against both Shelton & Aboushi, so for 2023 at least, depth appears to be getting stronger, but I'll still expect an OT/OG somewhere in the draft.
I agree with your take on a RB and trust that the Rams will again be actively seeking another in the 2023 Draft. As for a FB/TE/HB, I believe he is already on our team, we are all a little anxious to see Roger Carter move up to the 53.
jmo.